Down in Flames: RANDOM MAC IDEA THREAD

RP-related discussion otherwise not covered in the Character Closet.
Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Down in Flames: RANDOM MAC IDEA THREAD

Unread postby Capntastic » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:31 pm

To precent clutter of the history thread. This is where I will put assorted MAC-related ideas concerning technology, culture, and frippery. You should too!

LET'S GET THINGS ROLLING:

<span style="color:fuchsia;">Brodzky Zero: *My idea for a MAC weapon is based on a modern shark killing concept knife.*
Brodzky Zero: *It's a super nice dagger.*
Brodzky Zero: *That has super compressed CO2 in the handle.*
Brodzky Zero: *And then you stab the shark.*
Brodzky Zero: *It gets filled with a basketball sized bubble of frozen CO2*
Brodzky Zero: *And it either dies from the trauma (gross out city, dude!) or floats to the surface to die.*
Brodzky Zero: *I SEE SIMILAR APPLICATIONS FOR KILLING LARGE ENEMIES!</span>

<span style="color:fuchsia;">Maybe even filled with something to gum up mecha.*</span>

More craziness as it comes.

EDIT: Shinigori V2&nbsp; Image at: 9/14/06 2:08
[/i]

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Re: RANDOM MAC IDEA THREAD

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:43 pm

I made up a drug named kryl a long time ago. It was supposed to enhance magic, and be severely addictive. It was taken like you were downing a whole Pixie Stick.

I don't care what form it takes. I think it should show up.

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:49 pm

Are there any MAC timelines floating around? Even if they're flimsy, I'd like to take a look so I can work in some things I've had in my head for a while.

Archmage144

Unread postby Archmage144 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:03 am

Regarding Zero's post, I have to quote the manufacturer's web site, which states that:

"WASP Injection Systems, Inc. does not condone the killing of innocent creatures."

The amount of laughing this caused me is probably disporportionate; the effect of the quote is increased dramatically by its juxtaposition with a hand-drawn image of a cartoon shark exploding into bloody gibbets as it reaches the surface.

In combat, it's a single-use weapon, which is the only reason I can't imagine it would see wide-spread use...unless you could load the handle with multiple cartridges of compressed frozen gas, eject the handle's cartridges when they are expended, and then replace the cartridge set. I'd say it makes an excellent assassin's weapon because it'd be small and easy to conceal, and a single stick should be sufficient. <p>
<div style="text-align:center">Image

RPGWW Wiki!</div></p>

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:33 pm

Well, the cartridges are similar to tiny CO2 containers people use for paintball guns or whatever. Perhaps there could even be some sort of pole-arm type deal with a good dozen or so charges in the handly bit. It would certainly be an equally violent way to deliver payback to a dragon that just stomped on and took a bite out of your squad partner.

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:06 pm

The neat thing about magic is that a sufficiently powerful mage can make a wholly magic weapon that has the same effect, and can strike withuot needing to worry about refilling. Alternatively, for far less money/power, magical tank auto-recharging! <p>
<div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:24 pm

Ah, but a thing about magic is that not everyone has it/uses it for combat. Furthermore, I'm certain that anti-magic shielding has progressed to become a major hindrance to all but highly skilled and trained mages that can bust past it.

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:21 pm

No, not everyone has it, but you're talking about a highly specific weapon. Such things can be manufactured in that capacity and it would just cost the person who means to buy and use it a little extra money.

As for anti-magic shielding, with troop weaponry that's much less of a concern. In Mecha weaponry, the weapon is going to be much more powerful. At any rate, the air that gets pumped out isn't necesarily going to be magic in the latter case. An enchantment to recharge the capacity of your air tanks doesn't have to pump out magical air, it just has to have been repreasurized with air summoned into it from the outside. In any case, there are any number of possible answers to making the air tanks refillable for multiple uses. <p>

NamagomiMk0

RANDOM MAC TERMINOLOGY IDEAS

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:08 pm

Seeing as I love this setting way too much, I've decided to go out of my way and come up with potential terminology--"official" and "slang" for it! Just because.

"Armor" -- common short reference for the mecha in the universe. Shortened version of "mechanical armor," "Magitek armor," or "Hybrid armor(Valthi term)"

"A2, Auracore, ACA" -- Short for "Auracore Armor," this refers to the symbiote-enhanced armors that are piloted by Teks, differentiating them from other Armors.

"Auracore, Personality Core" -- Referential terms for the symbiote built into A2s. This often is used to refer to the symbiote and the specialized containment system for it as a whole, as opposed to simply the symbiote.

"Ghost Armor" -- A term often referring to an A2 that is acting without a conscious pilot, though has been used to refer to the unmanned A2s as well, as of late.

"Berserker" -- A relatively uncontrollable A2 with a forceful personality. Termed because the most infamous of these have a tendency to literally go berserk, and act without any semblance of restraint.

"Knight" -- (Slang) Any humanoid-configuration armor

"Centaur" -- (Slang) Typically, any armor with more than two legs, but a humanoid configuration otherwise

"Dragon" -- (Slang) Any flight-capable armor with heavy armoring.

"Wasp" -- (Slang) Derogatory term, mainly used by pilots, for pilots who also have a direct involvement in the repair and maintenance of their Armor or A2.

I guess, more to come or something. <p>"DO YOU THINK YOU CAN DEFEAT US? OUR TREASURE MAY BE HEAVY, BUT WE ARE LIGHT AS WIND. ONLY MAGICS MAY HURT US, BUT ONLY WE KNOW WHICH ONES." --Omoikane, Digital Devil Saga 2</p>

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Re: RANDOM MAC TERMINOLOGY IDEAS

Unread postby Capntastic » Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:35 am

Why would there be a derogatory term for someone who repairs their own stuff?

Archmage144

Unread postby Archmage144 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:24 am

I think maybe his theory is that if you have to get your hands dirty doing it yourself that you're either an engineering geek or too poor to pay someone else to do it, but I'm not sure it makes sense either. <p>

RPGWW Wiki!</div></p>

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:15 am

Question: What would be the status of monsters in 3092? Extinct? Controlled and corralled? Still roving about the countryside?

More importantly, have they become... well... enough of a problem that mechs would be needed to deal with them? <p>

Kai
Fighting the Iron Law of Oligarchy Since 2006

Unread postby Kai » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:17 am

I like the idea of "monsters" being protected by eco-terrorists and other nature nuts. <p>-------------------------
<span style="font-size:xx-small;">I've always followed my father's advice: he told me, first to always keep my word and, second, to never insult anybody unintentionally. If I insult you, you can be goddamn sure I intend to. And, third, he told me not to go around looking for trouble. --John Wayne</span></p>

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:51 am

Ozma Furbanna, from the Buzz Lightyear cartoon.

You need to watch more TV. ^_^ <p>

Kai
Fighting the Iron Law of Oligarchy Since 2006

Unread postby Kai » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:19 pm

I was thinking more along the lines of Ka'thalan exiles.

In first gen Ka'thalar has a substantial Druid population, but with Ka'thalar covered in drow by MAC, the Druids that weren't killed would have had to have gone someplace. As at least one Druid nation had ties to Igala (namely Doma and Nekonia) they'd likely have ended up there.

I mean, the Tuathans in first gen are racist and isolationist slaveowners functioning in an oligarchy. They're also pretty militant. Take away their homeland and have it end up in the hands of people they've been fighting since dirt... and you get extremist Druids. Hurrah! At least by this point I'll say they no longer own slaves. Not formally. Any prisoners they take in the course of their militant activities would likely be functional slaves, but it's no longer a legal institution.

The exiled Druids would do things like demand protection of "monsters" and shit, but they would have to be careful not to alienate their Igalan allies, and they'd likely be viewed as... a little crazy. It's like how a lot of Americans think that our good buddy Israel is out of its collective mind half the time... but hey. They're our allies and at least they're on our side. <p>-------------------------
<span style="font-size:xx-small;">I've always followed my father's advice: he told me, first to always keep my word and, second, to never insult anybody unintentionally. If I insult you, you can be goddamn sure I intend to. And, third, he told me not to go around looking for trouble. --John Wayne</span></p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=kai@rpgww60462>Kai</A]&nbsp; Image at: 12/5/06 12:20

NamagomiMk0

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:49 pm

It's more of the former; either the engineering geek deal, or a sort of "you spend way too much time around that mecha" deal.

I need to think of a new word for it, though. <p>"DO YOU THINK YOU CAN DEFEAT US? OUR TREASURE MAY BE HEAVY, BUT WE ARE LIGHT AS WIND. ONLY MAGICS MAY HURT US, BUT ONLY WE KNOW WHICH ONES." --Omoikane, Digital Devil Saga 2</p>

Archmage144

Unread postby Archmage144 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:34 pm

Regarding Cha's question, there are definitely still other species that I can imagine being "threatening" to the common man and to adventurers. If humans have 1500 years to develop new tools, what do you think the illithids and demons are going to come up with?

Suddenly I imagine some necromancer animating a whole army of cyborg zombies from giant corpses or something. <p>

RPGWW Wiki!</div></p>

Return to OOC RP Discussion