The Naga

RP-related discussion otherwise not covered in the Character Closet.
Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

The Naga

Unread postby Besyanteo » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:48 am

So, Naga have been sitting in the guide neglected for a long old time. Apparently, Dia was set to own them by default, and didn't have a real interest in them. I'm accepting her offer to take them over here, and I have a write up!

Many thanks to Chris, Banj, Doug, and Idran for all their help and patience in helping me turn my shoddy first draft to the current version. That said...

Race: Naga
Life Span Avg.: 60 yrs
Besyanteo

Basic Description: Human head and torso, snake from the waist down. They have slit like nostrils rather than full noses, but otherwise normal faces. Eye and hair colors vary wildly.

Miscellaneous: Their eyes are sensitive to light, which while not painful in most cases, causes them to see less well than most races in full light. They prefer dark, warm places, and proliferate in much of central and southern Igala. Many who have the means will migrate to Argovia, for it's pleasantly hot climate. While they are most comfortable in a hot environment, they will not slip into torpor like common reptiles if left in the cold. Rather, they suffer from cold in the same manner as mammals, with all that implies. Almost all Naga hate snow, in every aspect. They are sometimes confused for members of the demon race, but are entirely mortal. Their affinity for shadow magic helps to perpetuate this misconception.
Naga temperament varies much as human temperament does, though they do have a tendency to be rash and reactionary. Naga, much like their snake-like body suggests, have a natural inclination to eat food raw, and whole when possible. However, even dislocating their jaw still only allows them to eat creatures the size of a large rabbit whole. Contrary to rumor, humanoids are not a good food source for Naga. Eating humanoids over a long period of time seems to cause some kind of disease in Naga, leading to insanity as their brain is infected, and later death. Naga require food more often than their reptilian counterparts, and require more food to get by than humans; about twice as much per sitting. Naga will typically only get hungry twice a day, however.
It is exceedingly uncommon, but Naga can also opt to be vegetarians. However, they will eat much more than their meat eating counterparts to sustain themselves. In social settings, this quickly becomes very expensive.
Children are brought into the world as eggs. They take 4 months to gestate inside the mother, and 2 more months to hatch on average.
Men will largely go naked aside from various forms of jewelry to adorn themselves, having no need for coverings, but women have taken after the ways of humans and other humanoid races, wearing chest coverings in addition to their jewelry.

Racial bonuses and disadvantages
Affinity for Shadow Magic, enhanced sense of smell, sensitive eyesight.

In PhilSys:
The Naga PC has more trouble with treacherous terrain made of sharp edges, but will move twice as quickly as a bipedal humanoid(for matching stats) over fair terrain. They add their strength to the "Kick" attack twice for a tail whip, or may attempt to grapple with a body wrap(See Image</div></p>Edited by: Besyanteo&nbsp; Image at: 8/17/06 21:54

Jak Snide

Re: The Naga

Unread postby Jak Snide » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:46 pm

Looks sound to me! No complaints here. Any info about generic naga culture in the works?

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:20 pm

I'll get to that as soon, yes! I need to cobble together some reasons that we never really see them, though. Or at the very least, I've never seen them in play. Whee. o.o <p>
<div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

Archmage144

Unread postby Archmage144 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:42 pm

I'd say that grappling ability shouldn't cost any TP, since there are rules for grappling; if you really think it's necessary to charge TP for balance purposes, 2 TP is more than enough. <p>
<div style="text-align:center">Image

RPGWW Wiki!</div></p>

Zemyla

Unread postby Zemyla » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:39 am

I would say they get a bonus to grappling, but maybe a penalty to jump...?

Also, I didn't know nagas had arms. <p>-----
Do not taunt Happy Fun Zemyla.

<span style="font-size:xx-small;">I think boobs are the lesser of two evils. - Inverse (Pervy)
Dammit, Dan, I'm not dating a damn NPC! - OOC Will (Will Baseton)
Of course! Anything worth doing is worth doing completely wrong! - Travis English
Ultimately, wizards and clerics don't say, "Gee, I want to become a lich because weapons hurt less and I don't have to worry about being backstabbed; that whole 'eternal life' thing is just a fringe benefit."-Darklion
But this one time I killed a walrus with my bare hands, and I suddenly understood spherical coordinates. - KnightsofSquare
Also, when you've worked a 36-hour shift as an intern you too just might pour yourself a catful of coffee and sit down to cuddle with your travel mug. -eirehound
</span>

d20 Optimization Boards</p>

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:29 pm

They do. Think of it like centaur. But snake instead of horse.

As for Grapple... Really, if you can hold someone immobile, do constant damage over time and simultaeneously beat their head in with a heavy weapon, you don't need any additional advantages. But I can understand why you'd suggest that. Thanks! <p>
<div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

Return to OOC RP Discussion