Gre'par'th notes

RP-related discussion otherwise not covered in the Character Closet.
Choark

Gre'par'th notes

Unread postby Choark » Sun Mar 09, 2003 7:55 am

Yeah my really neglected home country, Gre'par'th is in desperate need of some explaination behind some of the thinking behind it and such like. However I'm not very good at this sort of thing but I'll try my best.

I shall be doing this by answering a form of questions, so I hopefully stay on track.

What is Gre'pat'th?

Well first it can be located in the top North-West of this map here. The darker shade is the border lines of the country while the lighter shade is how far the barbarian (or barbarian ninja) have been known to travel.

It is not a real "offical" country however, as far as other countries go, as few know, or care, of its exisitance. The place if mountainous and has a harsh cold environment, with creatures called Wyrms (known as Dragons to the people of the land) abundant there, making living difficult.

Hang on a sec... did you say barbarian ninja in that?

Yes I did.

...right. Explain

Oh boy. Well I've never gone into detail as how this came about, manly because its a silly idea, however I do have a strange thoery behind it. Some time in the past, we're talking over 1200 years ago, a visitor, or many, came to the land of Gre'par'th, to find "barbarians" fighting for survival in those harsh mountains.

Seeing there strength and skill as warriors but thinking they lacked disipline they taught them secret arts from a tome, and taught them how to build weapons and homes. The disipline was "Ninjutsu" which suited the enviroment well, as it taught stealth from enemies and killing strikes without worry about honour. This disipline uses inner strength, actual phyisical strength and magical strength should the pubil have the ability.

It is also around here they probably got taught the common touge/language.

The teachings and the beliefs held in this was integrated into most of the people of the land and barbarian ninja were born.

Most of the people?

Well yes. There are still what you would call classic barbarians wondering the mountains, not staying in the "citites" but making camp where-ever they can. There is also a variation on the two that roam from city to city, not liking to keep in one place.

So these barbarian ninja wonder the world then?

Actually, no. Not normally. They stick to the mountains and never go to far out of there borders. My two characters that are barbarian ninja are kind of outcasts.

Well why do't they wonder around then, instead of staying where its very dangerous.

Its due to there beliefs. Gre'par'th is the World to them. Not in anythig like it holds a very important place in there hearts, it is actually the WHOLE world to them. They view the outside world as The Dead Lands, or the Dead Spirit Realm, or Hell, or many other names.

Hmm?

Outside of Gre'pat'th is where the dead wonder who have no rest and where demons take form, or anything spiritual. As a case in point, my character Pia has mistaken Deinar as an embodyment of a Demon Ward, something to place on your home to keep demons out by destroying them, because he called himself a Warden.

A Barbarian Ninja that is found outside his or her lands is dead to there people. In fact it is the worst punishment possible, as its basically sending you to your death before your time but not actually being dead.

You mentioned Spirit wards and Hell, I take it there is a religion then?

Yes, of sorts. They are susperstious of the dead and of the spirit world. They believe in TheThree Spirits that control the world, The Hills, The Water and The Darkness, and demons that try to destroy it. They also believe in lots of other spirits that protect them in ways they can't see. It could be viewed as a pimitive belief system in this way, as, apart from the main three, none have "offical" names but are prayed to or given offers, depending on the person. So a traverller of this land may that similar things are being prayed to, but not share the same name and or supposed appearance.

They do have temples made in honour of the three spirits.

What other type of culture do they have then?

Well, talking of barbarian ninja's here as they have the closest to a steady culture, it be best to think of them as early man but with better weapons and fighting techiques.

Uh huh....

Well okay, its not all sorted in my head but I do have some brief ideas.

1) All are taught fighting is fun, and to them it is. Fun is fighting and fighting is fun. Its importnt to understand this when dealing with them as its a mindframe out of sorts with most other cultures. To run from a fight is not cowardly, it's just odd. Why would you run when you could be having the fun of fighting? Why would someone turn down the idea of having a fight?

This happened early on in there culture probably as a way to make sure children laerned how to defend themselves as soon as possible. They would have to fight a lot in there lives so its best they enjoyed it. As it is the whole thing tuck and now fighting IS fun, watching and taking part.

2) Death is spiritual, however other cultures will be horrified to see how they deal with the dead. No buriual writes are performed, as there is no buriual. Once the spirit has left the body, thats it, the body is nothing more then meat.

As such it is treasted like meat and it is eaten. Family members get first piroity on the meal, if there re none left, or none around that could make it in time so the meal won't spoil, it is shared amoung the people who had a bad hunt.

This is not viewed as sick or a horrifying thing to do. You won't find a barbarian or a barbarian ninja saying to themselves they dont want to die cause they'll be eaten. In fact the idea of not being eaten is more horrifying and some even believe if the body is left to rot then the spirit may rot away with it.

In a world where few plants gorw, and even less that can be eaten or used as herbs, meat is everything and to waste meat is just ludicrous.

3)There is an odd mix of old japanese culture mixed in with theres. Nothing too drastic. They all most eat with there hands but there are a few more refined that eat with what is known as chopsticks.

There is also a loose concept of elders placed in there culture, though an elder might also be a 23 year old who so happened to be the strongest or best hunter. An elder is someone who is considered the best at what he does. Hunting, fighting, training or is just old. An eder is to be treated "honourablily".

Wolf-Pigs can be thought of as Samurai and lords and ...

WOAH! Hold it! ..... Wolf-pigs?

A race native to Gre'par'th. Find details here. They are intelligent but have a visous streak in them, considered noble by the people. They often take part in the more important going ons in the land and often lead hunts.

Right.. okay. Moving on then, is there actually any more you can tell us?

Not much. There history is very inactive cmopaired to most though I have stated the fact Wind-Fang (known to most as the grumpy wolf-pig father of Choark, Pig ) led, with his joined human, what might be considered an army to unite the people. What happened and why this was nessusary I haven't gone into yet, but apart from this one time, the people rarely fight each other as survival is the name of the game.

Sorry but did you say grumpy wolf-pig father of Choark?

I did.

..!?

Okay, a wolf-pig has the ability to mentally link with a human at the time of the humans hatching as happe-

ERM! Hatching!? Of a human?!

Yes, gre'par'thians hatch from eggs. Do you want to know about this linking or not? Or would you rather hear about th hatching thing?

You are a very odd man. Explain both.

Right, well, continuing on from before, when a human hatches a link can be made to a wolf-pig, where they'll share a bond that can never be broken. They don't mentally telepath to each other with thoughs, but often feelings. It also allows the joined to understand each others words and as such a joined human and wolf-pig are considered very special.

The hatching thing is because of what the Gre'apr'thian humans are. Which is, they are decendants of dragons, though they themselves don't know this. You could think them magical in nature then, if you want, though they hold no seeminly extra abilities because of this fact. So there is no sudenly growing wings or claws, or breathing fire.

It may explain the sometimes inhuman strength the cursed have though, as its somehow inbred magical phisical strength, that allowes them to be stronger then they may appear to be.

The cursed?

My two RPed barbarian ninja's, Pia and Choark are considered cursed. This is due to there od colour of hair (Pia is coloured pink and yellow natually, and Choark is a natural blue) and there inhuman strength since birth. The cursed also have no magic aura or magical abilities. In the wrds of Hakiril, "I've seen stones with more magical aura".

If you're intrested in the reason, as it is likely never to be discovered in RPing, its cause they come from a mixed family. Choark and Pia are actually the children of a Grepar'thian whose father was a human from the outside (it does happen, though very rarely, and the travellers don't always make a point of saying where they came from, and the barbarians never really ask).

So something happens when the two different kinds of humans interbred. *shrugs* I'll probably blame the gods on it, as thats what the gods are good for... blamming thngs on ^^;;

Umm thankyou... i'll be backing off now. Have fun *runs*

Anyway, there ya go. Some information. I hope it gives a clearer picture of how the place is and all. If anyone sees anything really really wrong with it, just say, so I can cry and all.

Nekogami

Re: Gre'par'th notes

Unread postby Nekogami » Sun Mar 09, 2003 10:19 am

O______O I HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT!!! Thanks Choark. I really understand Choark and Pia a lot better. The Gre'Parthian's don't seem to be so out there any more. If you have anymore on them, I'll be looking foward to reading it. <p>

Words to live by:
OMG PRIAM: ninja sex would be neither felt nor seen by either partner
OMG PRIAM: each would just suddenly need a smoke
Choark: Good luck there. You'll have to shit out darkness and send people into oblivion.</p>

Choark

Unread postby Choark » Sun Mar 09, 2003 10:30 am

Woo! ^_^ I'm plased this may have finally cleared some things up then. I had a feeling some things weren't clear and all.

Honestly if you want to know more on Gre'par'thians or the home country just ask here or on AIM. I'll try my best to answer, so sometimes it may take a while for me to think of the answer.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Sun Mar 09, 2003 10:42 pm

Good stuff, miao. o.o <p>
<span style="font-size:xx-small;">-=- "I lurk because I care." -- SuperRube
-=- "9 out of 10 lurkers agree.... this is a good place to be." -- Nakibe
-=- "Hey! No cow sex! Bad bad Pervy!" -- Taiar
-=- "And then the pixies of doom ate her brain. It was very tragic." -- White Knight
-=- "*really isn't dia and stuff* o__o;" -- WaiSenshiYuffie/Argus Devilman</span></p>

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Sun Mar 09, 2003 11:21 pm

I really like this format ^_^

Well stated, our Cho. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage</div></p>

ArgusDevilmen

Unread postby ArgusDevilmen » Sun Mar 09, 2003 11:29 pm

*thinks other people should make Barbarian Ninjas* <.<

*would volunteer but um... is lazy and stuff* <p><div style="text-align:center">
</div></p>

The Dark Gun

Unread postby The Dark Gun » Sun Mar 09, 2003 11:42 pm

VERY nice, well worked out, well written, etc... Actually it's rather ingenious. (Although the whole relegion of outside being dead is kinda... Weird, but weird is perfectly fine... *Looks at the general Barb. Ninja population like they're crazy*)

Oh, and just because I've never seen anyone with that much Sora stuff in their avatar/sig and whatnot I feel obligated to say "GO SORA! WHOO!" right here. <p>Image</p>

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Mon Mar 10, 2003 12:22 am

I disagree Kev.

Having too many of them really does a lot to cheapen their value.

What I want to know is how Gre'par'thians would view someone coming to their land from outside? <p><div style="text-align:center">Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage</div></p>

Choark

Unread postby Choark » Mon Mar 10, 2003 5:54 am

How Gre'par'thians would view someone coming to their land from outside?

Good question *nods* As stated ealier a traveller can perhaps get by and interact with them (abd have kids) if they avoid the issue all together. But if they know they are travellers?

Well one I would say it could depend on who the traveller is. Lets say its a human to begin with. A human may actually be considered a dead spirit of someone, and depending on the personas actions, a restful one, or a wondering one. Either way they may find the Gre'par'thians very wary of them, but would not be attacked. Should they start causing trouble then "priess/monks/guys/gals" from the temple may be called on to deal with them.

(Thats assuming its a barbarian ninja, barbarians would deal with it there own way )

Or depending on who they run into they may be treated something close to as Gods. Though they will find it a lot harder being god in Gre'par'th then anywhere else. Spirits are meant to help mankind in some way, so whatever spirit they would be considered to be, they will be asked to do something as well as get small offerings. (As an example, they mistake the traveller as a Spirit of the hunt (maybe the traveller carries some large weapons or spear?) and thusly will be asked to join.lead the next hunt)

Any other race though may find themselves attacked before they get a chance to explain what is going on, though again they may be lucky enough to have a similar shape to what a Gre'apr'thian would view as a Spirit. However, strange forms (ones with fur instead of skin, have giant wings, and so on) are most likely to be seen as Demons. Demons are to be either feared or destroyed and as how much Gre'par'thians like fighting, the latter one will almost always be chosen.

You used the word Spirit a lot in that, and seemed to be about different things, how come?

Well thats cause Spirit is the word for many things. It sounds like a cope out BUT I personally read a few old religions that were similar. (I have to get my ideas from somewhere). To an outsider to may seem hard to tell each type of spirit apart, like a spirit of the dead, a spirit that helps and is prayed to, a wandering spirit... however, it is a "primitive" belief structure as it were and that is how it works.

In fact there may be no difference to some. For a spirit is something a human can't understand. Perhaps a great hunter when he dies and his spirit goes on, it can become one that is prayed to for the hunt.

A Traveller with a good tounge could perhaps change the views of the Gre'par'thians, though I would say they look better upon action then words.

Theres a simple explanation though.

Spirits = Good
Demons = bad

If a traveller is known to come from the outside they will want to somehow convince everyone they meet they are not a demon.

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Mon Mar 10, 2003 11:33 am

Cho, you so need to do an RP about people coming to Gre'par'th.

And I back you on the multiple definitions of Spirit thing. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage</div></p>

Choark

Unread postby Choark » Mon Mar 10, 2003 11:54 am

Well if I ever do it'll likely to be on the board, as I don't feel ready to RP many different Barbarians and Barbarian Ninja's in a chat RP. It would kill me.

And thankyou for backing me.

-=Edit=-

Also, I personally do not mind anyone making another Barbarian Ninja. I don't want people to think I'm the only guy who's allowed to be 'em. I created them, yes, but hopefully with all this info if someone did want to make a Barbarian Ninja they'd know where he/she was coming from.

-=Edit 2=-

*side note*

Also, from a stat thing, I'd say the average Gre'par'thian would have below average wisdom, though there intuition could be high or low, and a above average strength and courage due to there life style.

(As I'm thinking the average is when compaired to an average man IRL or the NPC ya pass on the street kinda thing)

Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=choark>Choark</A]&nbsp; Image at: 3/10/03 11:07:29 am

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon Mar 10, 2003 5:37 pm

Iiiiiinteresting (v2.0) <p>
<span style="font-size:xx-small;">-=- "I lurk because I care." -- SuperRube
-=- "9 out of 10 lurkers agree.... this is a good place to be." -- Nakibe
-=- "Hey! No cow sex! Bad bad Pervy!" -- Taiar
-=- "And then the pixies of doom ate her brain. It was very tragic." -- White Knight
-=- "*really isn't dia and stuff* o__o;" -- WaiSenshiYuffie/Argus Devilman</span></p>

Wanderer Josh

Unread postby Wanderer Josh » Mon Mar 10, 2003 7:31 pm

Mmmmm.... Flesh eatin goodness... I bow to your creative mad skills. <p>

"Well since the Crystal Golem is trying to kill me, I'll go into one of my blind rages again."
- Kanter(my char) on his first D&D Quest</p>

viator22

Unread postby viator22 » Mon Mar 10, 2003 10:39 pm

On a small side note how would the Gre'par'thens view etheral undead? Not zombies but ghosts, wraiths, and the like. I know Choark's scared spitless of ghosts but does this apply to the larger population? <p>-------
THENinjaRabbi: So..if I ate the baby, I'd be more sane?</p>

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Tue Mar 11, 2003 2:34 am

Another question: What happens when a Wolf-Pig dies? Do they eat them, too? Y'know, cause in some waaaay earlier RPs,Cho refused to eat pork. <p><table border=0><td>Image</td><td valign=CENTER><table bgcolor=#FFFFFF border=1><tr><td>
<font color="maroon">I am an arrogant bastard.

And now, since I want to be unique like everybody else, quotes:

"People don't seem to realize, it wasn't a powerful ass poke. It was a powerful poke, to the ass!" ~ Lord McBastard
"So what you're saying is that Nintendo and Sony are in league with each other, and possibly the Red Skull?" ~ EKDS5K</font>
</td></tr></table></td></table></p>

Choark

Unread postby Choark » Tue Mar 11, 2003 5:15 am

I knew this asking questions things would be good, it always covers things I forget to put down ^_^

How would the Gre'par'thens view etheral undead? Not zombies but ghosts, wraiths, and the like. I know Choark's scared spitless of ghosts but does this apply to the larger population?

First of, Choark is not the best example of a true Barbarian Ninja, he has been banished from his homeland since he was but 12, and is an idiot. (The fact that he may be considered a forwward thinker is just one of those things - unlike all the other Gre'par'thians, Choark has spent so much time outside of his homeland he now actually believes he isn't in the Realm of the Dead at all, and that the world is bigger then he first thought/knew)

But I would say, as far as wraiths and ghosts and the like go, it would all depend on the form and actions of them. A Ghost that just wonders around, maybe now and then screaming or moaning about its past or whatever, would be viewed as a wonderng spirit and left alone.

Anything that is largy active and is working against what the Barbarian Ninja's are doing, would be seen as a Demon, and dealt with accordinly.

A Ghost that is trying to talk to them may find themselves Warded away. Talking to the dead is not something the living is meant to do, and supersition is abound in Gre'par'th. (In other words, they have lots of intresting Spirit/Demons stories about this sort of thing)

What happens when a Wolf-Pig dies? Do they eat them, too?

*nods* Very Good question and I can't believe I forgot to go into it. As said a Wolf-Pig is considered noble, and live a very long life (400 years aprox - if survive), they are 'speical'.

That is, Wolf-pigs eat Wolf-pigs ( in fact the whole eating your dead custom may have come about because of the first linking betwen man and Wolf-pig.... maybe ) but no Gre'par'thian would ever touch there meat. A Wolf-Pig can eat a human dead body, but not the other way round ( a dead body eat a wolf-pig!? I should think not *Whack* @_< ).

On another note: Choark refuses to eat pork and such cause it comes from Pigs, which share the same name as "Pig" - a Wolf-pig - so in his simple mind, thats very bad.

-=Edit=-

Oh before I go on, I am generalising here about the Gre'par'thians. You still get some that are more superstisious then others, and you get some that honestly don't bother or care about these sort of things.

It all about the actual character. This is all just generally amoung the population and all ^^;; Though you all probably gathered that.

Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=choark>Choark</A]&nbsp; Image at: 3/11/03 5:52:45 am

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Tue Mar 11, 2003 1:26 pm

HA! Choark's kosher! ^_^ *is amused by this* <p>--------------------
"The only thing that makes the daily tedium bearable is knowing that I have power over life and death." -Chancellor Usurper, 8BT</p>

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Wed Jun 04, 2003 7:39 pm

bump =D <p>
<span style="font-size:xx-small;">-=- "YOU SEE THE MIGHTY DAMARAMU'S BRAIN IS VERY COMPACT!" -- Damaramu
-=- "Don't worry Mink, I'll be good excess baggage!" -- Pia
-=- "But I'm a slime half!" -- Princess Vena
-=- "OH BY THE SEVEN GODS IT'S A MECHANICAL BIRD! But it's so...small..." -- announcer guy
-=- "Demons don't care about story continuity!" -- Doug Finn</span></p>

Choark

Unread postby Choark » Wed Jun 04, 2003 7:48 pm

There are some gawd awful spelling and grammer mistakes in all that, and i will have to redo it sometime.

*bumps to save*

Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=choark>Choark</A]&nbsp; Image at: 11/24/03 5:54 pm

pd Rydia

also, BUMP

Unread postby pd Rydia » Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:11 pm

Hay guys.

http://mysidia.org/rpgww/index.php?title=Gre%27par%27th

If, you know, you want to fix it up directly and all. Proof-reading, flow, information, or whatever.

:] <p>
<div style="text-align:center">dictionary.com | encyclopædia dramatica</div></p>Edited by: pd Rydia&nbsp; Image at: 3/18/06 22:31

Choark

Re: also, BUMP

Unread postby Choark » Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:19 pm

Freakin hell, its better then anything I could write... so eh.. Yeah! Awsome! ... Did I really give all that information once? Eheh, thank God other people remember this stuff!

Thanks Dia, and any others who did something with this, awsomely done!

Edit:
As so much work has been done to this I'll have to add some info that was brought up in [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=choark>Choark</A]&nbsp; Image at: 3/20/06 18:23
[/i]

Return to OOC RP Discussion