Current Events: Political Turmoil in Riva

RP-related discussion otherwise not covered in the Character Closet.
Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Current Events: Political Turmoil in Riva

Unread postby Kelne » Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:43 pm

Ever since Emperor Redwyn took control of Riva in 1310, he has been fighting an uphill battle to truly unite the country, to establish trading relations with other nations, and to restore Riva to its former glory.

Despite establishing a firm hold on the urban centres early on, the new government's control of the countryside has always been limited. Roving bands of dragoons are an ever present threat, despite efforts to hunt them down. Nevertheless, progress seems to have been made. Riva has an alliance with Doma, and amicable trade relations. And, in the capital and towns such as Blarhg, there has been a shift away from the xenophobic attitudes of much of the country.

While a constant thorn in the government's side, the various dragoon factions have never been able to unite sufficiently to pose a credible threat. And, thanks to the actions of roving bands little better than bandits, the populace fear the dragoons as much as they fear the dragons they are supposed to protect them from.

Recently, there have been signs that things are about to change. Disturbing reports have begun to filter south to Doma that at least some of the dragoon factions are beginning to put aside their differences and work together. What has precipitated this change is as yet unknown, but it constitutes a worrying trend. If the dragoons were to unite, they would be a force to be reckoned with, and could easily plunge Riva into full-scale civil war.

It has been said that time will tell whether Redwyn's government will endure. The question now seems to be whether it will survive the coming year. <p>Centuries of threats of "I'll turn you all to stone!" and "I'll knock you all down!" have caused Domans to develop an instinct to form small groups. For safety, I assure you. – Keir</p>

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Re: Current Events: Political Turmoil in Riva

Unread postby Kelne » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:58 pm

Good lord, it's been a while. Just goes to show that even with the best of intentions, my pace of doing things can be glacial at times.

Anyway, on with the update.

It seems that the dragoons have finally begun to police their own, with renegade groups falling prey to so-called 'true' dragoons. While the campaign has been by no means one-sided, an alliance of moderate factions seems to be making headway, clearing out nests of bandits and dragoons alike, in a bid to bring order to the outlying regions of Riva.

Of particular note in this campaign was an attack upon the village of Hatrick by Valgaav, a member of the Bloodied Blade faction, and his followers. Despite superior numbers and training, the attackers were all but destroyed, thanks to the intervention of a group of five courageous outsiders. Valgaav himself was cut down leading a final assault on the village, and although only two of the visitors survived the conflict, the fast-spreading tale of their deeds is already conferring a kind of immortality upon them.

For those interested, logs of this event are available:
[url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=kelne>Kelne</A]&nbsp; Image at: 2/14/06 22:38
[/i]

Kai
Fighting the Iron Law of Oligarchy Since 2006

Re: Current Events: Political Turmoil in Riva

Unread postby Kai » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:27 pm

RAH! LOGS!

I will read them, and possibly keep copies for myself. *rubs hands greedily* <p>-------------------------
"It has always been the prerogative of children and half-wits to point out that the emperor has no clothes. But the half-wit remains a half-wit and the emperor remains an emperor." -- Sandman "The Kindly Ones" </p>

Return to OOC RP Discussion