The Seven Plagues OOC thread!

RP-related discussion otherwise not covered in the Character Closet.
Endesu
ラムレッダ

The Seven Plagues OOC thread!

Unread postby Endesu » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:06 pm

This thread is dedicated to OOC banter concerning "The Seven Plagues". Feel free to bash me about my shitty GMing and then snipe me about a lackluster ending. Henceforth, I will release "The End of Seven Plagues/RPGWW" where all of the main characters are killed violently, just because. I'll also insert some vaguely religious stuff to make it seem deep.

Original message, just so that the following posts make sense:
DW, what happened to your thing you had going some time back with Sorune's home world?

Ash, are you even around any more? Did you decide to kill off your RP?

Has Kelne disappeared once again?

Apparently, I've missed a lot. <p>

Image</p>Edited by: Crawling Reshiki at: 1/27/06 12:55

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Re: DW? Ash? Kelne?

Unread postby Kelne » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:10 pm

End? But I thought we killed you.

Not that that's ever slowed you down before, of course... <p>Centuries of threats of "I'll turn you all to stone!" and "I'll knock you all down!" have caused Domans to develop an instinct to form small groups. For safety, I assure you. – Keir</p>

Endesu
ラムレッダ

!

Unread postby Endesu » Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:53 pm

Death doesn't do anything but give me a lingering rectal pain.

Well, at least Kelne's still about. I suppose I should make some sort of RP plan now, since Ash and DW are both lazy and smelly.

My plans involve some people dying, the continued evil presence of the Bear in the Box, and, of course, tiny minion capsule toys. Also, Kyle crying softly in the snow, because (omg spoilers)!

Edited by: Crawling Reshiki at: 1/12/06 15:58

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Long post!

Unread postby Endesu » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:01 pm

Jumping from that note, I'd like to announce a few things.

Splintered Faction was a good idea, but apparently I either started off far too weakly or gave the wrong cues to the people I worked with. It's dead and won't come back, though I might use a few of the ideas involved later on.

The Asrico saga was a fun idea, but I was never able to get a chat RP for it going, and failed to give the RPers enough cues or 'springboards' to RP from. I'm not sure if I'll completely kill it or not, but one can definitely place it in the distant future if it ever comes to pass.

The Astyanax saga was a mess. I brought in too many RPers, at least half of which didn't have a close enough connection to what was going on to really care. I can understand, since I somewhat haphazardly forced them into the ongoing events. I utilized too many villains, underused potential situations, forced particular actions onto the RPers (which is something that should never be done) and left many of such people in the dust. I can only apologize for this.

The Astyanax bit will be redone or reworked, but not outright cancelled.

The Manta thing, however, was actually completed, and will stand.

From this, I'd like to note that I do have plans for something smaller in scope, and involving both my characters and those who have been involved with past events to a major extent. I can't say too much, but it will still deal with past events and explain a few, while not fucking around with the RPers themselves.

I still want to bring in Zero, DW, Pervy, and Kelne. These have been my major RPers, and they know which characters to use. As far as Kate, Neb, Shiny and anyone else go, if they're interested, they can get themselves involved. If not, don't. Simple as that.

My scope is limited right now, given that I don't have time at nights any more, due to studying and work, so if this ever comes to pass at any time soon, it will be a board RP. Anything that needs to be clearly defined will be. If there is anything that needs to be brought up with me concerning timeline issues, character issues, et cetera, please discuss it with me. On the board. AIM isn't an option right now.

... that's about all I have to throw out there for now. More to come if it springs into mind. <p>

Image</p>

Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.

Re: Long post!

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:57 am

I'd still like to be involved in things. Even better is my now set weekly schedual. :( <p>
<div style="text-align:center">What's wrong with this ring?!</div></p>

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Re: Long post!

Unread postby Endesu » Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:33 pm

Good. Now I just need confirmation from the rest. >_> <p>

Image</p>

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Re: To those who have RPed with me...

Unread postby Kelne » Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:09 pm

Definitely interested. What more need be said? <p>Centuries of threats of "I'll turn you all to stone!" and "I'll knock you all down!" have caused Domans to develop an instinct to form small groups. For safety, I assure you. – Keir</p>

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:15 pm

I am at your command, my friend.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:03 am

I'd be willing, though I'd have to warn you that given other RPs it would have to be with either Greg or Michael. But if that's still OK with you despite their kinda-gimmickiness, that'd be great. I've actually been wanting to be in a Gaera Main RP run by you for a while, since I've heard good things.

Oh, right, since you don't have AIM at the moment, I have a question for you! Were Idran to ask around Doma, what would he learn about Petlamin's current status and/or location? <p>

"Never let your morals get in the way of doing what is right" - Salvor Hardin
</p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=idran1701>Idran1701</A] at: 1/14/06 0:03

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:35 am

Actually, Idran, Petlamin is one of Jak's characters. If you're thinking of End's character from Carved in Stone, that would be Assassin. <p>Centuries of threats of "I'll turn you all to stone!" and "I'll knock you all down!" have caused Domans to develop an instinct to form small groups. For safety, I assure you. – Keir</p>

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:26 pm

...Yes. Yes I am!

No idea how I made that mistake, since I've already asked Jak about Petlamin and all. Knew I should have double-checked first. <p>

</p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=idran1701>Idran1701</A] at: 1/14/06 19:27

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:36 pm

Just in case you're wondering about Assassin, he used to stop by the Jade Dragon. After its burning down, he has not been seen in any one place for too long... but there have been random sightings of him here and there, so he is still about. He hasn't seen any particular reason to go home yet, so he's still on Gaera.

Timeline:
Astrynax -> Shadow of Astrynax -> Infinity -> Endgame -> Manta -> This.

Issues:
This does indeed mean that the saga starts off with Erech and Astrynax being dead. This will be resolved once the plot kicks into fullswing. The setting for this RP will be, for the most part, on Gaera itself, so there will be no alienation of backwards Gaerans when confronted with futuristic settings.
As far as the characters know, Infinity is dead. They know nothing of the heretofore unknown third branch.

Character Status:
This may or may not be a hint about who will be involved, excepting the villainous characters listed, who will not be seen.
Alex is still imprisoned on Knossos.
Anti-Enlil is still recovering in a hospital on Earth.
Anti-Kelne is still flying about in his stolen airship.
Assassin, as stated above, is wandering about locations unknown.
Astrynax is still dead, having sacrificed himself during the Manta saga. Why did he die? That will come up.
Astyanax may or may not be acting out the Heart of Evil's ambition, but the characters do not know of this, and won't for some time.
Bebi/"The Creature" is likely wreaking havoc elsewhere.
Most of the Androids from Endgame are still dead (no Anti-Sorune returning for revenge!).
Dementia is still on Knossos, with Retri.
End Reshiki is also still dead, but that's a given.
Manta has retreated to Asrico Planet #73, licking his wounds.
Ni Kaio will be hanging out, checking on the character's situation. As usual.
Okan, now a paladin, is returning to Doma after many years, heeding an odd premonition he has received...
Ranna-docius is still doing his vampire thing. He hasn't been able to find many jobs, but he has been able to fall back on his secret passion: puppeteering.
Scrum is dead, and no one will miss him.
Stephen is still searching for his sister in parts unknown.

The Conflict:
The enemy will be clearly defined, and while there will be a tentative connection to Infinity, they are definitely a separate group. The aim of the enemy will be of a much smaller scale than anything Infinity has come up (which means no attempts to destroy the world! Hooray!).

Preferred Characters
Zero: Kyle is fine.
Kelne: Ditto for Kelne.
Idran: Whomever you prefer. It would help if they have a connection to Kyle, Kelne, or any other character who I've noted thus far.
Shiny: Although Erech needs to be around for the actual 'revival' bit, I'd actually like Griff for this one, unless you'd prefer to bring in Janda. Either's fine.

Now, if DW, Pervy, or any of the others don't want to get involved, that's fine. I just want to get final confirmation before I go ahead with this. If anyone has any issues to bring up with me, or questions to ask, now is the time! <p>

Image</p>Edited by: Crawling Reshiki at: 1/18/06 15:24

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:38 pm

Oh, and as with anything, the threat of character death looms here. For some (such as Kyle, and possibly Griff) this is nothing new, but still... keep it in mind. <p>

Image</p>

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:06 pm

I've waited months for your return, and cannot <bear> much longer!

Dragon Sage007
Property of the USMC

Unread postby Dragon Sage007 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:10 pm

Holy fuck, am I ever in. :{

Also, with you back, I may well restart that RP. Having 90% of the posts eaten kinda killed my will back then, but now...

Anyway, I feel the urge for Kumo. He needs some action, and so do his new White Mage powers. :{{{ <p>
<div style="text-align:center">Image </div></p>

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:11 pm

Don't know about Remus, but the Jade Dragon itself was burned down a while back, actually, End. :(

Edit: Oh, also, that'd limit me to Greg if I do this at all, then, the character connection thing. Not that he's connected to either, but Michael is negatively. <p>

</p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=idran1701>Idran1701</A] at: 1/17/06 21:16

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:14 pm

That news about the JD depresses me. I've edited the post above, consequently. :(

Anyhow, we have...

Kelne
Greg
Kumo
Kyle
Griff/Janda/Erech (need confirmation from Shiny)

And that's fine. :D I'll get something up soon. <p>

Image</p>

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:14 pm

Edit: End should get into contact with me, somehow. :( <p>
<div style="text-align:center">What's wrong with this ring?!</div></p>Edited by: Shinigori V2&nbsp; Image at: 1/18/06 20:18

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:42 am

Do you want us to go ahead and post, or wait for further setup in the thread? <p>

</p>

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:00 pm

Go ahead and post, and we'll go from there. Also, Shiny should realize I can't use AIM right now. :( I mean, I try to use Express at school, but that doesn't seem to work.

My e-mail address is still open, though. Use that. endaso@gmail.com <p>

Image</p>Edited by: Crawling Reshiki at: 1/19/06 13:09

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:58 pm

Ahem :(

All is set up, unless Shiny wishes to e-mail me (SEE ABOVE) about his preferences. <p>

Image</p>

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:34 pm

I think the one difficulty on my end is the usual timeline issue. 'Present day' Kelne is involved in a board RP at the moment, which has taken him well off the charted map. Still, given a bit of thought, I'm sure I can rope in another character. <p>Centuries of threats of "I'll turn you all to stone!" and "I'll knock you all down!" have caused Domans to develop an instinct to form small groups. For safety, I assure you. – Keir</p>

Dragon Sage007
Property of the USMC

Unread postby Dragon Sage007 » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:31 pm

On a completely unrelated note, the idea of Anti-Sorune returning for vengeance amuses me to no end. I'm not entirely sure why, either.

Also, I share Kelne's concern to a small degree. When exactly is this set? <p>
<div style="text-align:center">Image </div></p>

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:51 am

Whenever is most convenient for you folks. Unless there are some major life-changing events in store for Kelne, I can suggest that this RP take place after the current one. Ditto for anyone else.

Okay! I'm changing the setup a bit, to make things easier.

Erech will have been revived after the Manta thing. Astrynax will not have been revived. This should help simplify things a bit. Kay? <p>

Image</p>Edited by: Crawling Reshiki at: 1/20/06 15:14

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:08 am

...Wait, what time is it in game? I infered from context that it was mid-day, maybe the afternoon, thus the arrival. >_> <p>

</p>

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:12 am

It is mid-day. She slept in late, is all. :D <p>

Image</p>

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:15 am

Disguises: A reversible cloak, one side basic old-guy outfit with hood, the other more fortune-teller-esque; a Hakaril costume/wig of fair quality; a middle-class outfit, Rivan in cut and fabric, with its own associated wig. <p>

</p>

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:00 pm

If Shiny wants to be a part of this, he'd best post soon, as the plot will be moving forward. :( <p>

Image</p>

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:23 am

Shini will not be a part of this. :( <p>
<div style="text-align:center">What's wrong with this ring?!</div></p>

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:19 pm

Shiny = Stinky

:(!

Oh well. <p>

Image</p>

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:44 pm

All RPers (such as DW) are recommended to post under punishment of something vaguely harmful-sounding.

Zero has an excuse, but I want him to post by tonight if possible. <p>

So I smile and pray upon a star...</p>

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:41 pm

I am reminded: Given that it's a pretty odd ability and somewhat complicated as well, do you need a once-over for the functioning of Greg's occasionally-so-called "spell hacking", or do you already know the basics for how it works? <p>

</p>

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:53 pm

Any details will be appreciated! <p>

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:55 pm

All right, then! Well, better make this all formal and stuff, since I may want to copy it for use in future threads. :O

A Guide to the Spell Mimickry of Gregory Campbell

His ability is divided into two main parts. First off is his observation spell, which I have given the unimaginative name "Browse Mental Spellbook". When used against a mage in its most basic form, this allows Greg to have the knowledge of a single spell that is castable by the target. Spells only, not techs, and which spell it is is randomly determined by whatever fashion the GM chooses to use.

Now, this isn't _too_ useful unless you've got a very limited mage. Luckily, this spell can also be limited by category. He can check for a spell related to fire, and any result will be randomly determined from this set, for example. Or a flashy spell, or a non-damaging one. The "category" is fairly flexible, and can even be limited to a specific spell, if he already knows his target can cast it. This may seem useless, but the effect of this type will become more clear with the second part of his ability.

Either way, once Greg has found a spell, he learns all the basic details of it; relative cost compared to the mage's MP stores, spell effects, associated elemental effects, and any requirements on his casting. (The usefulness of this will also be soon revealed)

For either of these, if the category he chooses is empty (meaning that the target can't cast a spell in the first case, of course), then the spell does nothing at all.

The second part of his ability is the really interesting part. For any spell (almost) that Greg has learned of through a usage of Browse Mental Spellbook...he can trigger that spell. This is, on the surface, vaguely similar to the "Mime" ability from FF. However, what this does is casts the spell, using the target's MP, exactly as if the target had cast it, but with all options of the spell (usually nothing further than target) set by Greg. To any sort of astral scan, the mage will have cast the spell, because they actually did. It was merely activated by Greg. This isn't a freebie for him, of course, as this "Trigger Spell" itself of course costs MP. The cost is based on the chosen spell's rank in PS, so in a Freestyle game if you're using MP at all you'll probably have to find some equivalent way of determining it. However, this spell must be one he's picked up with Browse Mental Spellbook, so that he knows "where" the spell is. Merely knowing that a mage can cast a certain spell is insufficient. However, once he's found a specific spell from a specific mage, he's got that spell from then on, and it'll never have to be browsed for again to be triggered.

Now, the way this works is essentially he "activates" the spell's memory in the target's mind. Thus, some spells are unusable through this, though they can still be picked up by Browse Mental Spellbook if he happens to be unlucky. Any spells which require (Note: require, not have as an option) hand motions, chanting, or any such things cannot be triggered, unless he finds a way for them to do exactly what is required for the spell and triggers it with the proper timing; unlikely at best. He can trigger spells which require multiple rounds to cast, but it requires a check of whatever form you're using each round.

This is what happens on a successful trigger attempt. On a failed, nothing happens, but Greg's MP is not drained, for the sake of inter-RP continuity. (Thanks Div! :D) With either a failure or a success, the mage in question can detect a mental intrusion as the source of the triggering, and depending on their level of skill with mental magic may be able to pinpoint the source. They will almost always detect on a failure (unless in a dice-based system they came quite close to a success), and will almost never detect on a success (again unless in a dice-based system they came quite close to failure). <p>

</p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=idran1701>Idran1701</A] at: 2/2/06 21:58

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:27 pm

Sorry for the double post, but I thought since you've never GMed Greg before, you might want to know what equipment he's got as well. He's not carrying any of this right now except the ring, which he's wearing, but he keeps it all in his home in Doma. Hopefully giving you all this information isn't too annoying, I just thought this'd be better than coming up with something he's got on the spot when necessary for you. >_>

x1 Long Sword of Wounding - Slightly magically enchanted to aid with damage, and three times a day can be used to cause a wound caused by it to begin bleeding without clotting.
x1 Curing Ring - the gem can be rubbed to heal a moderate amount of damage. It holds 12 charges, but anyone with healing magic can recharge it, with a 10% chance of breaking the gem and rendering it useless until it is replaced. It doesn't harm nor heal undead.
x1 Choking Mist Potion - Nauseates everyone within 6 feet when broken for 10 minutes
x1 Healing Ointment - 4 uses of a salve that heals a moderate amoune of damage with each application.
x1 Infinite Waterskin - Always has water in it
x1 Squawking Flamingo Head - A semi-trademark of Greg at this point, this is a really annoying broken flamingo head (like the lawn-ornament type) wrapped in a sound-muffling blanket. It constantly makes a squawking noise with no way to stop or subdue it beyond destruction, but can at least be wrapped in cloth so as to muffle the sound to near-inaudibility. <p>

</p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=idran1701>Idran1701</A] at: 2/2/06 22:28

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:55 pm

Thanks for the details! I'll keep these in mind.

Also, need a slight word on battles. Since this is freestyle, I've been wondering how to handle them when they pop up. Should we all use a sort of d6 system, using some sort of informal dice-roller, and trust the rolls of each other? Should I handle all of the rolls, as Ash is doing in his thing?

Options, folks? <p>

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:42 pm

I think it'd be cool if you handled the rolls and didn't mention 'em to us; just GM the effects accordingly. I'm not sure how board combat normally works, but I think this would be nifty.

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:43 pm

A single vote's all I need! Harhar! <p>

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:14 pm

Okay, due to an ever-increasing pile of schoolwork and other obligations, 7P is going to be placed on hold.

Once I get some actual 'free time', I'll post again.

kthx

Return to OOC RP Discussion