Im new to all this

RP-related discussion otherwise not covered in the Character Closet.
Eternal54

Im new to all this

Unread postby Eternal54 » Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:59 pm

Hello there,
I am new to RPing and would like some help on getting started. I would love to participate in a forum but don't know how to join or the rules that apply. In all honesty i am just a young guy who loves to write, and loves rpg games. why not mix the two, right? So if anyone has any advise for me or a part on a forum, i would appreciate the help.

Ill check the forum often.

My AIM sn is Eternal54425
My e-mail is Eternal54425@hotmail.com

Thanks

Jak Snide

Re: Im new to all this

Unread postby Jak Snide » Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:16 am

Firstly, welcome to the board.

Normally there'd be a few rules at the top of the page, but after April Fool's Day they got lost. Fortunately, there's the FAQ. It's still work in progress, but everything written up so far is gold. It's about 15 posts down in the linked thread, and pretty hard to miss due to the formatting. Give that a good read and you should be nicely primed. If you have any other questions to ask after that, there's this thread.

Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!

Unread postby Spleen » Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:27 am

Indeed! Read the FAQ.

Also, there's our chatroom. Invite yourself to "RPGWW Chat" on AIM (without the quotation marks). Inside you will <strike>visit a magical world of wonder</strike> get all the information you'll need, assuming you ask the right questions. <p>__-__-__-__-__-__

"I'm just a guy with a boomerang. I didn't ask for all this flying, and this magic..."
-Sokka, Avatar

"Screw normal, because if you're normal, the crowd will accept you, but if you're deranged, the crowd will make you their leader."
-Christopher Titus</p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=spleeninfinity13>SpleenInfinity13</A]&nbsp; Image at: 4/7/05 7:28

Mechanisto

Unread postby Mechanisto » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:13 am

1) It helps to be a kind and thoughtful person, willing to admit your own mistakes and forgive those of others. As with most things in life. :)

2) All the good RPing skills in the world won't help if you don't show up often. Keep up to date, and post regularly. RPs are never truly finished; only abandoned.

3) Though this isn't always true, consider joining someone elses RP before you start your own. Reading a finished RPs (or just parts of it) can help you learn a bit about both the good and the bad.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:22 pm

Hi there, and welcome to RPGWW! Name's Diane, pleased t'meet ya. ^_^ Always lovely to see new folk around and about, especially self-proclaimed lovers of writing.

• Spleen mentioned about the chatroom, which is always a handy place for asking questions or just chatting with other RPGWWers. You can click aim:GoChat?RoomName=RPGWW+Chat if you have AIM downloaded; if you have a client such as Trillian or GAIM installed, you'll need to put your screenname on your buddylist and invite yourself to the chatroom, RPGWW Chat (a technique which also works for AIM).

The chat is busier during certain hours. Typically, there'll be people in there during sometime in the early to mid-afternoon till midnight, EST (-5 GMT...-4 right now, actually. Yay, Daylight Savings!) This is variable, of course...when really good conversations strike up, people will stay in there later, and people might come in earlier if someone gets up and starts inviting them in.

• Mech brings up keen points, as well. Also, by and large, around here it's about common sense. Whatever UnclePervy/SontressEnlil and/or tries to tell you (I'm picking on you, Pervy! *shakes cane!*), messing up once or twice in an RP--or posting a character in the Character Closet who isn't perfect--is not going to destroy our community at the foundation. Things can be ironed out in IM and OOC, because we're all common sensical, sensible, and intelligent like that.

There is information about our RP worlds up on the website. It's good to familiarize yourself with the basic information about the setting you want to RP in, but it's not necessary to memorize every little detail of, say, Gaera Main, which has quite a bit of information. Looking at how the information is organized ("organized") is always a good idea, so you can know where to go if you need information later that may be up on the site.

• There's the FAQ there as Jak mentioned. To skip directly to that post, you can follow the link http://p068.ezboard.com/frpgww60462frm11.showMessageRange?topicID=823.topic&start=15. Jak's link will let you see all the posts in there. As mentioned, it's still in progress, so please feel free to give feedback on the thing--what's clear, what's not, what was and wasn't helpful, suggested additions, and the sort. <p>
<div style="text-align:center">"Pants are bad!!! We should wear pants only on our head you conformist bastard!!! Pants are the devils work!! Run freee!! And pantless!!!" -- Vulture</div>
</p>

Return to OOC RP Discussion