Looking for Open Freestyle RP

RP-related discussion otherwise not covered in the Character Closet.
Jason Sanborn

Looking for Open Freestyle RP

Unread postby Jason Sanborn » Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:28 am

Hello. I've looked over a little bit of the "rules" and am feeling a little overwhelmed by it all. In my experience, it seemed like it was always easier to jump in and have fun. I believe I have read enough to have a basic feel for how things work here.

I'm familiar with the Freestyle of RP (as I have used it on other RP Forums). If someone could direct me to an open RP Discussion thread, I'd appreciate it. Also, if there is anything that I absolutely must know about before joining, please let me know.

Jak Snide

Re: Looking for Open Freestyle RP

Unread postby Jak Snide » Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:35 am

While I'm a terrible mod for not being up to date on who's recruiting, you should take a gander in the OOC Forum for any freestyle RPs that are starting up. Alternatively, hop on AIM and head to the chat room "RPGWW Chat". That in itself isn't an RP room, but you'll be able to ask if there's a CI RP going on or get invited when one starts up.

CI stands for Character Interaction. These RPs aren't run by a GM and are essentially a bunch of characters in a local just chatting away and doing mostly trivial things. It's a good way to establish yourself by having your character meet some of the locals as well as wetting your feet, so to speak.

If you have any questions about this sort of thing feel free to post them here, or contact me on AIM. My screen name is the same as the one to the right of this message.

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:46 am

And, by 'right,' he means his OTHER right. Right, Jak? <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!

Unread postby Spleen » Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:17 am

Apparently, computer screens in England are backwards.

Who knew?

Also: Listen to Jak. Jak knows what he's doing, despite being a little behind on directional theory. Most everyone you'll meet in the chatroom can guide you well enough, as long as you act like an intelligent human being and don't do anything really stupid. The fact that you can follow the proper grammatical and syntactical (is that a word?) rules of the English language in your posts and the fact that you've already familiarized yourself with how we do things here puts you already worlds ahead of most of the new posters we get. I'm looking forward to seeing what contributions you can make.

Oh, and don't assume that when someone says "Jason", they mean you. Besyanteo's real name is Jason, and he gets talked to a lot, I've found. Just keep that in mind. <p>__-__-__-__-__-__

"I'm just a guy with a boomerang. I didn't ask for all this flying, and this magic..."
-Sokka, Avatar

"Screw normal, because if you're normal, the crowd will accept you, but if you're deranged, the crowd will make you their leader."
-Christopher Titus</p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=spleeninfinity13>SpleenInfinity13</A]&nbsp; Image at: 3/9/05 8:26

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:02 am

Just a bid to throw off the Welsh. Gotta keep on your toes, y'know.

Jason Sanborn

Unread postby Jason Sanborn » Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:02 pm

Funny thing is when he said "right" I instinctively looked to the left to see what he was referring to. Didn't even dawn on me that he used the wrong direction. LOL

I prefer using the boards, email, and/or PM to get info across, as I usually don't have a lot of time for chat. I post on lunch and breaks from work, and a little in the evening (GMT-8). When I am available for chat, I use Trillian, and still would have to figure out how to join an AIM chat room using Trillian. I have accounts with AIM, ICQ, MSN and Yahoo.

I saw mention of AIM Chat before. Does the RP here involve part chat? I assumed it was dependent upon the story line and the GM running it (if there was a GM for it).

NebulaQueen

Unread postby NebulaQueen » Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:04 pm

It really depends on the preference of the GMs and RPers. Some RPs are done completely in chat, while some are done on the board. <p>

"My naturally quivering state makes any display of fear deliciously arbitrary" - Manowar Leader, Scary-Go-Round</p>

JasonAB17

Unread postby JasonAB17 » Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:04 pm

I do indeed have an idea! I will go make an RP thread immediately! There will atleast be an aside mini-plot, but I'd invite people to break away form it if they like, do things that don't seem in line with the RP, etc!

I don't feel like waiting to register people for it, so come as ye please! There should be a new Main Gaera RP thread by 3:15 EST or sooner.

Edit: It's Up.

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=jasonab17>JasonAB17</A]&nbsp; Image at: 3/9/05 15:12

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:10 pm

Chat RPs occur with more frequency and are easier to get into, s'all. People tend to put more effort and planning into their board RPs; on the other hand, chat RPs tend to finish up more quickly. So folksies like them their chat RPs.

Oy, why don't some one start up a freestyle board CIRP for Jas here? I'm tired of Amanda and I being the only ones to ever run those. :( S'not like they're hard to conceive or keep goin'. A little base information about the setting, probably in the post itself, and I bet he'd be able to wing it. <p>
<div style="text-align:center">"Pants are bad!!! We should wear pants only on our head you conformist bastard!!! Pants are the devils work!! Run freee!! And pantless!!!" -- Vulture</div>
</p>

JasonAB17

Unread postby JasonAB17 » Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:31 pm

>___> Some one begs a CI.

We wonders... <___<

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:33 pm

It's also noteworthy that it's far better to lurk and observe than to just jump in. BSing things on the fly in Gaera is terribly difficult unless you are very familiar with things. <p>---------------------------

Your are not supposed to be reading this!</p>

Jason Sanborn

Unread postby Jason Sanborn » Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:45 pm

While I would be winging it, I would try not to make it too obvious. I'm hoping to have enough basic info from the RPGWW site and fellow RPers from the OOC threads to allow me to sound half-way decent in my posts.

I've been involved in traditional RPGs for many years (AD&D 1st/2nd editions primarily, plus others), and have posted in other freestyle board RP games for almost 2 years now, so I'm not a novice, just not familiar yet with how things work here, but I do pick up quickly. ;)

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:37 pm

Lurking is all well and good, Cap'n, but how many of us jumped right in?

*raises hand*

Aside from that, it's boring as shit. Certainly, jumping right into CIRPs doesn't do too much harm, particularly not from those who can spell their own username correctly (by design, not by error).

Someone made a mistake? Hash it out in OOC, ignore it and/or work around it, and move on. It's happened a hundred times before. Plots are a bit more difficult--that's why you get familiar with Gaera and RPGWW with CIRPs, arr.

Hell, regulars still make mistakes, ya know. Can't be a perfect RPer.

Unless you're me.

*strut* <p>
<div style="text-align:center">"Pants are bad!!! We should wear pants only on our head you conformist bastard!!! Pants are the devils work!! Run freee!! And pantless!!!" -- Vulture</div>
</p>

JasonAB17

Unread postby JasonAB17 » Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:38 pm

I'd just like to point out I started the same way.

Jason Sanborn

Unread postby Jason Sanborn » Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:12 pm

Cool! I just created my character, Arvad. Posted it in the Character Closet. I'll have Arvad appear in the new thread on my next break later today. :)

Thanks to everyone for the feedback. It really helps to get the ball rolling. ;)

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:38 pm

No problem at all. ^_^ Honestly, it's neat to see someone wander in on the community again. Hope to see you enjoy yourself, and maybe even stick around! <p>
</p>

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:17 pm

When you want to invite yourself to an AIM chat on Trillian, you have to add yourself to your buddy list, right-click on it, and hit Invite to Chat Room. Then put in "RPGWW Chat" for the name of the room.

Then, about five minutes later, run screaming from the room, because we're all batshit insane. <p>__-__-__-__-__-__

"I'm just a guy with a boomerang. I didn't ask for all this flying, and this magic..."
-Sokka, Avatar

"Screw normal, because if you're normal, the crowd will accept you, but if you're deranged, the crowd will make you their leader."
-Christopher Titus</p>

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:09 pm

While I suppose a warning of insanity is useful and called for, mightn't you have been more creative? <p>
</p>

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:13 pm

Actually, when I posted that, I was suffering from the worst headache of my entire existence.

Reviewing the post now, I see that it would have been better if I had opened the possibility that he would be eaten by bears. Or possibly by Lys, which could be even more terrifying. <p>__-__-__-__-__-__

-Sokka, Avatar

-Christopher Titus</p>

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:09 pm

Well, the threat from bears would be better left ambiguous, you know. Because there are those bears, as well.

You know.

Civilized businessbears. <p>
</p>

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:13 pm

But they're lovers of fine cuisine! <p>__-__-__-__-__-__

-Sokka, Avatar

-Christopher Titus</p>

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:18 am

I've already taken out all the bears, with my bare hands. Cripes. <p>
<hr width="70%"><center>
This month's "Transformer of the Month" is Grimlock in a Santa hat! He's quite jolly.</center></p>

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:36 am

Cho took away all your guns, did he? <p>
</p>

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:39 am

Looks like someone hasn't been paying attention to Shiney. :(

Bear wrestling is one of the official state pasttimes, you know. <p>
<hr width="70%"><center>
This month's "Transformer of the Month" is Grimlock in a Santa hat! He's quite jolly.</center></p>

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:41 am

Lame, human. <p>
</p>

Jason Sanborn

Unread postby Jason Sanborn » Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:57 am

I'm not afraid of a little insanity.

*Rubs hands together with a sly grin on face.*

Thanks for the info on Trillian. It'll help when I have time to launch IM. ;)

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:07 am

FD, Grimlock in a Santa Hat has been the Transformer of the Month for four months now. We demand justice! WE DEMAND A NEW TRANSFORMER! <p>__-__-__-__-__-__

-Sokka, Avatar

-Christopher Titus</p>

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:14 am

I want a pony, personally.

A laser-pony. <p>
</p>

Spleen

Unread postby Spleen » Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:52 am

ON FIAR?!?! <p>__-__-__-__-__-__

-Sokka, Avatar

-Christopher Titus</p>

SALSAlys

Unread postby SALSAlys » Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:50 am

I'm not going to eat anybody!

...I'll just chew a bit.

kiduf

Unread postby kiduf » Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:25 pm

O.O As off-topic as this thread has gotten... I believe I will bring it back on. Just for one post. Then you can all have your fun.

The Islands of Ecestrim is an extremely freestyle RP that I just started a couple of days ago. Every player gets a huge amount of control in the story, and it's more about building interaction than making sure 'so and so' dies.

Please keep in mind that by entering, though, you automatically give other players the right to play your character for short amounts of time, to progress the story and (like I said) build interaction.

=D So... yeah, if you're interested... check out the OOC thread, and then read the RP itself, and then post in OOC! *thumbs up* <p>Go to http://www.gamingbliss.net! Pants for all![/b]</p>

Return to OOC RP Discussion