Jumi in Gaera (Thoughts encouraged)

RP-related discussion otherwise not covered in the Character Closet.
The Dark Gun

Jumi in Gaera (Thoughts encouraged)

Unread postby The Dark Gun » Sun Dec 07, 2003 2:37 am

As some people may or may not have noticed, I vanished for about a week off the boards (This was caused by my uncerimonious banning from the computer with internet for not completing a scholarship essay fast enough. *SIGH*) In the interim I played a little too much LoM, perhaps, and was led to this idea.

Appearance: Jumi are human in appearance and in most regards, except for a large gemstone set in their lower torso. This gem is over fist sized and is of an identifiable type, perfectly faceted. They tend to be tall, and very similar in height as a race, although females are usually shorter than males and show a greater range of heights (male: 5'9"-6'8", Female: 5'3"-6'6"). Their eye color always matches the base color of their gem (Exception: Diamond Jumi's eyes change color based on mood and time of day, and other white-gem (Opal, Pearl, etc.) Jumi eyes can be any color). In other regrads they appear very much as humans do, although they tend to have slightly more angular features.

Age: It is unknown if Jumi can die of old age. All of them who have been seen appear to be in their 20s.

Miscellaneous: A Jumi's core is actually a physical manifestation of its soul. The removal of the core causes the Jumi to rapidly die, and then the body to vanish completely. The astral destruction of a Jumi causes the core to leap out of its body.

Damage to the core can cause an almost infinate number of negative effects on the Jumi, ranging from a weakening of intellect, or a weakening of body, or both. It could also go so far as to cause a split personality disorder, or other effects of the like. It is possible that with a lot of rest and powerful magic damage to a Jumi's core can be repaired, but it is unlikely. The only surefire way to heal a damaged core is the tears of another Jumi (Hence the Diana). Because of this, all Jumi fighting styles include defending their core as part of the overall stance, etc.

Jumi do not require as much food as other beings do, although they need to spend about one hour a day with their core exposed to a sparkling gem (As in: at least mediocerly cut and exposed to light) to feed of its brilliance. Failure to do so wears on them like failing to eat enough wears on humans, although it is possible that, by eating massive amounts of food, they could compensate for this lack. Two Jumi cannot share brilliance with each other, although they can stave off the "hunger" longer, particularly if traveling in a Warrior/Gaurdian pair (see society).

When a Jumi cries, actual flecks of their soul escape with the tears. If it is a living being being cried for, these bits of soul join with their body and make them stronger, easily healing any physical wounds they may have recieved. However, as the tears are bits of the Jumi's soul, this can cause a lessening of their overall life force. Because of this Jumi instincitively do not cry, and to overcome this they must exert an immense amount of willpower and be excessively sad (With one notable exception: Their leader, the single Diamond-type Jumi known as the Diana, can cry at will, having been carefully trained from youth to serve this purpose.). (If this were put into actual function in Philsys, the tears would probably cure any nonlethal wound instantly, but have a 50% chance to cause the "crier" to lose 10-25% of the HP healed permanently. To even cry, the Jumi would have to make a difficult check of their cou/cou/int or something versus an amount chosen by the GM according to how remorseful the GM believes the Jumi would be. The Diana would not need to make a check and would probably only have a 25% chance of having her HP permanently lost)

On the other hand, any non-Jumi, fully sentient being who cries for the Jumi is instantly petrified* and all Jumi nearby are, at the same time, healed fully, even if only the cores remain. (* This form of petrification is almost un-reversable. Concivably, the tears of a large percentage of the Jumi race cried simultaneously could save the person, an act of the gods, or some other substantially mighty healing act, but no simple spell or action can undo this).

Although there are clearly male and female Jumi it is yet unknown (Or rather, undecided) if they are capable of copulating and giving birth. It is known that new Jumi can be formed, but whether it is a biological process, or some special act of imbuing is unknown.

Jumi tend towards different genders based on gemstone. The Diana (Diamond) is always female, as are Jade types, just as Ruby and Lapis Lazuli types are always male. However, with the rest, either gender is possible, although Pearl tends towards female, Opal towards male, Emerald towards male, and Sapphire towards female.

History: The Jumi are an anciet race who, until recently, had become completely extinct. A few large gemstones around the world were all the fragments that had surfaced in current times. There are, however, a few lost cities, two are known to have sunk into the ocean, and one was buried. This buried city was discovered by a small group of explorers and excavators. This city proved to be the original capitol city of the Jumi, and possessed an annal of their history, including their tragic, and sudden decline. Upon reading the entire tale, one of the explorers were moved to tears and the city "crypt," where the cores of dead Jumi were kept on pedestals, was suddenly filled with life, even as he was turned to stone. This tiny fraction of the original Jumi populace, including the last Diana who had died before her time and had caused the collapse of the race, escaped the ruined city, confused and afraid. They have scince founded a small, hidden village (Location of all these things unkown as this entire idea has not yet been approved, and I'd need to clear it with someone to get it placed in Igala somewhere) and are currently trying to "feel out" the current times.

Society: The Jumi society is very hierarchal, and has a caste system ingrained in it. All Jumi belong to one of two castes, they are either Warriors or Gaurdians. The Gaurdians possess no offensive fighting abilities, instead they are trained only to ward off blows against themselves and their core (Unarmed Fighting, only PA) and concentrate on healing magic and other aspects of life, such as cooking, farming, etc. Gaurdians tend to be female, although this is not a rule. Warriors are trained in many forms of combat, particularly in the defense of another idevidual (Their paired Gaurdian). Though they specialize in physical combat, they are more than just fighting machines, particularly those who never intend to leave whatever town/city they are raised in. Warriors tend to be males. Certain core colors tend towards certain castes (and the Diana is always a Gaurdian). A Gaurdian/Warrior pair is meant to look out for each other, and for one of a pair to die is a societal black mark against the other, as is the abandoning of one by the other. In a pair, one can sense the others presance at a reasonable distance without being able to see/hear/smell/etc them in any other way. To do so, however, takes concentration, and causes both of their cores to flash for a second with visable light, the searcher's one second before the searched. Although the pairs are usually male/female this does not suggest any deeper relation than that oc comrades and close friends. It is possible that a Warrior may live without a Gaurdian, particularly away from Jumi society, but a Gaurdian without a Warrior would have trouble surviving for very long. Also, a lone Warrior is usually treated with derision, and a lone Gaurdian is treated much like an orphan, usually well taken care of by others, but pitied and usually not respected.

The hierarchy of the society is set up with defferance towards rarer gemstones, and with a tendency towards matriarchy (Because of the Diana's femininity). The Diana's word is the law that binds the Jumi society, and all obey her, to do otherwise is punishable by death, particularly now when they have just begun to live again in a world that may be hostile to them. Currently, the Jumi have been stockpiling whatever gems they can scrounge so that their small village has sufficient brilliance for them to survive. Small groups, and more commonly a Warrior/Gaurdian pair have been sent out to investigate the state in which the world currently rests. They travel in disguise, trying to prevent the world from knowing they have awakened until they know the general response. As most records of their existance have been lost, or are at least very obscure, they are uncertain of the attitude of the current dominant races, but fear they will be hunted for their cores. They also believe, and probably correctly, that they will be hunted for their healing abilities, while at the same time ostracized for the terrible penalty having a close relationship with one can bring about.

A note on tears: It is considered taboo for a Jumi other than the Diana to cry, particularly in this current age, as it weakens the overall strength of the Jumi nation. To recieve the tears of a Jumi is supposed to be a great honor, but the Jumi are more likely to treat the recipient with a derisive sort of "Well I sure hope you were worth it" type of attitude. On the opposite side, those who have weeped for the Jumi were once kept in a vaulted hall of hereos of the race. A few notable niches in this hall are empty. Also, a Jumi is capable of crying for him/herself, and doing so produces no effect, positive or negative, however, in Jumi society this is considered an ultimate mark of shame.

Other Jumi tendencies: Because of their inability to express grief through tears, they generally do not express sorrow to the degree humans or other humanoids do. This tendency also causes them to be slightly emotionally withdrawn in general, not that they do not feel the full range of emotion, but they do not express them outwardly. This, of course, only a tendency, but a Jumi that expressed his/her emotions to the same range humans do would be considered, if not foolish, at least an oddity. Also, as Jumi almost always work in pairs, they are trained to support another person in combat well, either helping them ward off blows or some other form of support (Most Jumi characters raised in a Jumi society should take some sort of skill to represent this). It can be noted as well that a Jumi's core starts to glow faintly when they are very happy, under heavy emotional duress, or involved in combat. Jumi of either caste tend to be slightly more rugged than humans, and Warriors tend to be stronger than an average human. Jumi Warriors tend not to use magic, although such a thing has been heard of. This is because a magic user is not considered as proficient in defending themselves and others. Jumi range the spectrum of Magic Aptitudes, as some are very adept at astral manipulation, however most of them are identified at a young age and raised in the Gaurdian caste, as such most Warriors have little or no magical aptitude. Most magic using Warriors and their Gaurdians are expected to work with another pair in which the Warrior of that pair is of the standard variety.

Well, there it is. There's probably some more stuff I should add to it, but I'm not sure what. Any comments are welcome, particularly if they come with ideas on how to improve this.

Edited by: The Dark Gun at: 12/7/03 1:04 pm

Uncle Pervy

Re: Jumi in Gaera (Thoughts encouraged)

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Sun Dec 07, 2003 2:33 pm

Interesting. I like that you have more or less shattered them; which neatly explains why they are unknown. If you like, I would be willing to offer an isle in Beldad to serve as their home. While this isn't quite Igala, the Beldad gate would make access to them rather easy.

The whole crying bit seems a little wunky, though. I might lessen it's severity, given that it doesn't have a real explaination. I can see no real reason for those who cry over Jumi to become petrified.

Anyways, if Beldad interests you, IM me and we'll hammer it out. <p>------------------
Greetings, large black person. Let us not forget to form a team up together and go into the country to inflict the pain of our karate feets on some ass of the giant lizard person.
</p>

The Dark Gun

Unread postby The Dark Gun » Sun Dec 07, 2003 3:21 pm

Ah yes... That reminds me, I did have a reason why it worked like that. Just as Jumi tears are parts of their souls (Hence their healing capacity), to cry for the Jumi is to completely sacrifice your own soul (Hence it's ressurecting capabilities) althouhg perhaps the whole thing would be better off without that particular detail. <p>

And, wherefore there should be laughing,
There shalt be crying, as hate and anger reign,
Where all must tread,
And joy is forced to come,
Only to those alone.</p>

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Sun Dec 07, 2003 3:23 pm

I'd lessen it in scope. Remove the petrification bit, as it makes little sense. I could see crying as being damaging, but not necessarily as healing when others do it (Given they don't have the gem to mess with their beings). <p>------------------
Greetings, large black person. Let us not forget to form a team up together and go into the country to inflict the pain of our karate feets on some ass of the giant lizard person.
</p>

The Dark Gun

Unread postby The Dark Gun » Sun Dec 07, 2003 3:29 pm

Very true. I suppose I was being a little to faithful to the Legend of Mana original... I'll figure out the tears thing sooner or later. <p>

Where all must tread,
Only to those alone.</p>

NebulaQueen

Unread postby NebulaQueen » Sun Dec 07, 2003 6:36 pm

Hmn...what if the person has to be touching the stone while crying for it to be effective, thus forming a connection to him/her and the Jumi? <p>

<span style="font-size:xx-small;">
"Hello, I'm Troy Mclure! You may remember me from such realms as Hell, and Gaera!"-Shinigori, OOC</span></p>Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=nebulaqueen>NebulaQueen</A] at: 12/7/03 6:37 pm

PopoSujo

Unread postby PopoSujo » Mon Dec 08, 2003 4:25 pm

Also, something we discussed in chat:

What if the Jumi has a coughing fit, or sneezes a lot, or laughs too hard? Could that effect them? <p>
When angry, count to ten; when very angry, swear.
-- Mark Twain

WTF?You people are so harsh..learn how to give some positive in with the negative before the world swallows you up and brings you to me and I shoot your head off and dance in your blood.
--PruePiperPheobePaige</p>

The Dark Gun

Jumi in Gaera

Unread postby The Dark Gun » Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:39 pm

No, the particular effect noted when a Jumi cries is tied into both their state of mind, and the actual expulsion of "tears" as Jumi do not cry waste liquids as humans do (And the nature of their eyes is slightly different as well), but actually release part of their soul through their eyes (The tiny flecks of the core removed in this manner would show up as tiny flaws underneath a jewler's magnifier, and at taken from the part of the gem that is within the Jumi, and not normally visible).

bunnygirle78

Re: Jumi in Gaera

Unread postby bunnygirle78 » Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:16 pm

I see that you to are a fan of mana games. <p>

"What would you do with out me Daxter?"
Jak from Jak 2

"Well Jak, I wouldn't be standing two feet tall, covered in fur, walking around a sewer without pants. . .god I miss pants."
Daxter from Jak 2</p>

The Dark Gun

Unread postby The Dark Gun » Sun Dec 21, 2003 11:31 pm

Well, after thinking about it for a while, the tears of non-Jumi only have effect if they are shed in either 1) a place where Jumi have resided for a very long period of time, or 2) a specially "concecrated" place. This concecration is preformed by the Diana when she sets up an official residence, and it causes gems from deep underneath the area and areas closely nearby slowly migrate to beneath the surface of the area, creating a valuable stockpile for the Jumi to use.

And, in case it comes up, Jumi are capable of copulation and bearing children, however, the female must swallow a gemstone prior to the copulation for a child to be born. The gemstone will become the child's core. Jumi carry their "children" for 6 months before birth, although the child is not fully developed when born. In fact, it is merely a highly absorbant core stone. It requires 12 hours of exposure of brilliance per day, much less and it weakens and dies. It takes 5 months for the core to full develop a body, which appears as a 9 or 10 year old human child. It then takes 2 to 3 years for the "child" to become the standard Jumi form of a 20 something year old human. They are considered "babies" during this period. For the first four years after they gain their "adult" bodies they are put into intensive training, the first year determining their aptitudes, and the rest preparing them for the roles they will assume, either Warrior or Gaurdian. However, most stay "in study" for two more years picking up either more combat/healing skills, or a variety of other things, like agraculture, that they believe will serve the Jumi people. Until they leave "school" they do not work in pairs, and may remain unpaired for up to a year afterwards.

There we go, I think that pulls just about everything together except for where they are situated. I kind of wanted them based in Gaera, but maybe I'll take you up on that offer Pervy. <p>

Where all must tread,
Only to those alone.</p>

Dark Xia

Unread postby Dark Xia » Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:15 pm

Just a quick thought. Have you planned out any specific RP to introduce them? Or are you going to have them propogate based on players who decide they want to be this race?

In any case, great work.

The Dark Gun

Unread postby The Dark Gun » Mon Jan 05, 2004 5:27 pm

That is an excellent question... Being as they are currently trying to hide what they are, any RP introducing them would kind of suggest that they fail at that, but at the same time it's a good way to get them "known." I'm not 100% certain what would be the best way, any suggestions?

The Dark Gun

Unread postby The Dark Gun » Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:17 am

I decided to finish this since I'm getting active-y again, including an entry that would actually fit in the tables as per the stickied thread... So... Taking it from the top! (Everything complete except location of village)

Appearance: Jumi are human in appearance and in most regards, except for a large gemstone set in their lower torso. This gem is over fist sized and is of an identifiable type, perfectly faceted. They tend to be tall, and very similar in height as a race, although females are usually shorter than males and show a greater range of heights (male: 5'9"-6'8", Female: 5'3"-6'6"). Their eye color always matches the base color of their gem (Exception: Diamond Jumi's eyes change color based on mood and time of day, and other white-gem (Opal, Pearl, etc.) Jumi eyes can be any color). In other regrads they appear very much as humans do, although they tend to have slightly more angular features.

Age: It is unknown if Jumi can die of old age. All of them who have been seen appear to be in their 20s.

Miscellaneous: A Jumi's core is actually a physical manifestation of its soul. The removal of the core causes the Jumi to rapidly die, and then the body to vanish completely. The astral destruction of a Jumi causes the core to leap out of its body.

Damage to the core can cause an almost infinate number of negative effects on the Jumi, ranging from a weakening of intellect, or a weakening of body, or both. It could also go so far as to cause a split personality disorder, or other effects of the like. It is possible that with a lot of rest and powerful magic damage to a Jumi's core can be repaired, but it is unlikely. The only surefire way to heal a damaged core is the tears of another Jumi (Hence the Diana). Because of this, all Jumi fighting styles include defending their core as part of the overall stance, etc.

Jumi do not require as much food as other beings do, although they need to spend about one hour a day with their core exposed to a sparkling gem (As in: at least mediocerly cut and exposed to light) to feed of its brilliance. Failure to do so wears on them like failing to eat enough wears on humans, although it is possible that, by eating massive amounts of food, they could compensate for this lack. Two Jumi cannot share brilliance with each other, although they can stave off the "hunger" longer, particularly if traveling in a Warrior/Gaurdian pair (see society).

When a Jumi cries, actual flecks of their soul escape with the tears. If it is a living being being cried for, these bits of soul join with their body and make them stronger, easily healing any physical wounds they may have recieved. However, as the tears are bits of the Jumi's soul, this can cause a lessening of their overall life force. Because of this Jumi instincitively do not cry, and to overcome this they must exert an immense amount of willpower and be excessively sad (With one notable exception: Their leader, the single Diamond-type Jumi known as the Diana, can cry at will, having been carefully trained from youth to serve this purpose.). (If this were put into actual function in Philsys, the tears would probably cure any nonlethal wound instantly, but have a 50% chance to cause the "crier" to lose 10-25% of the HP healed permanently. To even cry, the Jumi would have to make a difficult check of their cou/cou/int or something versus an amount chosen by the GM according to how remorseful the GM believes the Jumi would be. The Diana would not need to make a check and would probably only have a 25% chance of having her HP permanently lost)

On the other hand, any non-Jumi, fully sentient being who willingly and intentionally cries can transfer some fraction of their life energy to a Jumi by touching its core. However, this will always be enough energy to restore restore the Jumi to full vitality, while draining the same from the crier, including any permanent HP loss the Jumi has suffered from using its own tears (the crier "inherets" the permanent HP loss). If this is used to revive a dead Jumi, however, the crier is petrified, and their soul is amost totally consumed. Nothing short of devine intervention or an equivalent power can ressurect them.

Jumi are capable of copulation and bearing children, however, the female must swallow a gemstone prior to the copulation for a child to be born. The gemstone will become the child's core. Jumi carry their "children" for 6 months before birth, although the child is not fully developed when born. In fact, it is merely a highly absorbant core stone. It requires 12 hours of exposure of brilliance per day, much less and it weakens and dies. It takes 5 months for the core to full develop a body, which appears as a 9 or 10 year old human child. It then takes 2 to 3 years for the "child" to become the standard Jumi form of a 20 something year old human. They are considered "babies" during this period. For the first four years after they gain their "adult" bodies they are put into intensive training, the first year determining their aptitudes, and the rest preparing them for the roles they will assume, either Warrior or Gaurdian. However, most stay "in study" for two more years picking up either more combat/healing skills, or a variety of other things, like agraculture, that they believe will serve the Jumi people. Until they leave "school" they do not work in pairs, and may remain unpaired for up to a year afterwards.

Jumi tend towards different genders based on gemstone. The Diana (Diamond) is always female (Also note there can be no more than two Diamond Jumis at once, and then only if one is quite old, and tutoring the other, who should be rather young. The last act of passing on the Diana's powers to a new Diamond Jumi is actually a ritual of self-sacrifice that ends with the old Diana's core shattered and the shards sprinkled upon the new), as are Jade types, just as Ruby and Lapis Lazuli types are always male. However, with the rest, either gender is possible, although Pearl tends towards female, Opal towards male, Emerald towards male, and Sapphire towards female.

History: The Jumi are an ancient race who, until recently, had become, for all intents and purposes, completely extinct. A few large gemstones around the world were all the fragments that had surfaced in current times. There are, however, a few lost cities, two are known to have sunk into the ocean, and one was buried. This buried city was discovered by a small group of explorers and excavators. This city proved to be the original capitol city of the Jumi, and possessed an annal of their history, including their tragic, and sudden decline. Filled with emotion over what he had read, the head of the expidition layed his hands upon the pedestal and wept, wishing that the Jumi would live once more. Under normal circumstances this would have effected nothing, even though the pedestal did have a Jumi core set in it, the lack of true intent should have made the act just a demonstration of sorrow... But something strange happened. The Jumi in question was, in fact ressurected and, as was the customary trade, the man was petrified. The other explorers, seeing only the scintillating burst of colors that was the Jumi being reborn, ran, afraid that their comrade had unleashed a trap. Instead he had done something quite different... He had ressurected the last Diana of the Jumi, who had died before her time, and, because of this, had led her people to death. Living once more, she set about the rites to revive her nation. They came alive, now ages later, confused, uncertain. Their Diana, from using so much power, was weak, and so their newfound existance was tenative at best. They left the ruins, though, and left the caves, carrying what gems they could with them. A few were sent out to learn about who lived in the lands now, and returned with news of the outside world. The most worrisome of which was the value of large gems, like those that composed the Jumi's cores. Due to this and their general lack of knowledge of the ways of others at this time, they have founded a small, hidden village (Location of all these things unkown as this entire idea has not yet been approved, and I'd need to clear it with someone to get it placed in Igala somewhere. I have no idea if Pervy's offer still stands as I've been gone for quiet a long time) and are currently trying to "feel out" the current times.

Society: The Jumi society is very hierarchal, and has a caste system ingrained in it. All Jumi belong to one of two castes, they are either Warriors or Gaurdians. The Gaurdians possess no offensive fighting abilities, instead they are trained only to ward off blows against themselves and their core (Unarmed Fighting, only PA) and concentrate on healing magic and other aspects of life, such as cooking, farming, etc. Gaurdians tend to be female, although this is not a rule. Warriors are trained in many forms of combat, particularly in the defense of another idevidual (Their paired Gaurdian). Though they specialize in physical combat, they are more than just fighting machines, particularly those who never intend to leave whatever town/city they are raised in. Warriors tend to be males. Certain core colors tend towards certain castes (and the Diana is always a Gaurdian). A Gaurdian/Warrior pair is meant to look out for each other, and for one of a pair to die is a societal black mark against the other, as is the abandoning of one by the other. In a pair, one can sense the others presance at a reasonable distance without being able to see/hear/smell/etc them in any other way. To do so, however, takes concentration, and causes both of their cores to flash for a second with visable light, the searcher's one second before the searched. Although the pairs are usually male/female this does not suggest any deeper relation than that of comrades and close friends. It is possible that a Warrior may live without a Gaurdian, particularly away from Jumi society, but a Gaurdian without a Warrior would have trouble surviving for very long. Also, a lone Warrior is usually treated with derision, and a lone Gaurdian is treated much like an orphan, usually well taken care of by others, but pitied and usually not respected.

The hierarchy of the society is set up with defferance towards rarer gemstones, and with a tendency towards matriarchy (Because of the Diana's femininity). The Diana's word is the law that binds the Jumi society, and all obey her, to do otherwise is punishable by death, particularly now when they have just begun to live again in a world that may be hostile to them. Currently, the Jumi have been stockpiling whatever gems they can scrounge so that their small village has sufficient brilliance for them to survive. Small groups, and more commonly a Warrior/Gaurdian pair have been sent out to investigate the state in which the world currently rests. They travel in disguise, trying to prevent the world from knowing they have awakened until they know the general response. As most records of their existance have been lost, or are at least very obscure, they are uncertain of the attitude of the current dominant races, but fear they will be hunted for their cores. They also believe, and probably correctly, that they will be hunted for their healing abilities, while at the same time ostracized for the terrible price having a close relationship with one can exact.

A note on tears: It is considered taboo for a Jumi other than the Diana to cry, particularly in this current age, as it weakens the overall strength of the Jumi nation. To recieve the tears of a Jumi is supposed to be a great honor, but the Jumi are more likely to treat the recipient with a derisive sort of "Well I sure hope you were worth it" type of attitude. On the opposite side, those who have weeped for the Jumi are treated with great respect, and those who have been petrified so that one of them could live were once enshrined in a temple, though they lack the mans for such a grand structure at this time. Also, a Jumi is capable of crying for him/herself, and doing so produces no effect, positive or negative, however, in Jumi society this is considered an ultimate mark of shame.

Other Jumi tendencies: Because of their inability to express grief through tears, they generally do not express sorrow to the degree humans or other humanoids do. This tendency also causes them to be slightly emotionally withdrawn in general, not that they do not feel the full range of emotion, but they do not express them outwardly. This, of course, only a tendency, but a Jumi that expressed his/her emotions to the same range humans do would be considered, if not foolish, at least an oddity. Also, as Jumi almost always work in pairs, they are trained to support another person in combat well, either helping them ward off blows or some other form of support (Most Jumi characters raised in a Jumi society should take some sort of skill to represent this). It can be noted as well that a Jumi's core starts to glow faintly when they are very happy, under heavy emotional duress, or involved in combat. Jumi of either caste tend to be slightly more rugged than humans, and Warriors tend to be stronger than an average human. Jumi Warriors tend not to use magic, although such a thing has been heard of. This is because a magic user is not considered as proficient in defending themselves and others. Jumi range the spectrum of Magic Aptitudes, as some are very adept at astral manipulation, however most of them are identified at a young age and raised in the Gaurdian caste, as such most Warriors have little or no magical aptitude. Most magic using Warriors and their Gaurdians are expected to work with another pair in which the Warrior of that pair is of the standard variety.

Information as per Gaera Guide requirements:
Name: Jumi
1. Lifespan: Indefinate.
2. --
3. The Dark Gun/Thramkalith
4. Tend to be tall (Male: 5'9"-6'8", Female: 5'3"-6'6"). Feature a large, perfectly cut gem set in torso, eye color matches (Except for amoung white gems). Generally of innate good health. Also have a tendency towards angular features.
5. Tears of Healing, Soul Reception, Relies mostly on light refracted through gemstones for sustanance rather than food or water.
6. The Jumi are a recently ressurected race, and little record is left of what they were before. Now, though, they live almost uniques in a singular small village, trying to hide from the outside world and propegate, even as they send some of their people out to explore the rest of the world. Jumi's protect their core above all things, because it is a physical incarnation of their soul. If removed, they die instantly, as though their aura was rended.
<p>The worst nightmares are those we create ourselves... And then ignore.</p>

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:49 am

While the rest of the information seems alright, I still have a problem with the bit about the tears. It seems a bit extreme for something that can be done innately... and the massive potential cost strikes me oddly as well. I personally would remove it all together, but then again you should probably wait for further oppinions before you do anything like that. :-/

If it still stands: The way the Jumi society was sort of 'reborn' fits well enough I guess, in that it would explain why they're almost entirely unheard of. The taboo that puts on the crying helps I suppose... Eh. I suppose my real concern is the way it could allow a character from this race to godmode their way through an RP situation, but it also occurs to me that alot of other races have similar things in different forms. (The number of times I've been granted auto-success on tracking using a garoujin, without requesting or arguing for such is disturbing. o_o) ... So meh.

I like how you've fleshed things out. It makes them feel much less stolen somehow... and they seem mostly adapted to fit into Gaera. From your first post... When should we assume they were 'revived'? Are there a few dozen of them? Have they since grown in numbers a little, to be a few hundred? Few thosand? More?

The Dark Gun

Unread postby The Dark Gun » Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:13 am

I was thinking that they started out in a group around 25-40-ish tops, though by this point the "Village" might be as large as 100 adults, and maybe 20 or so children give or take a bit with maybe 10-ish of them investigating the world, so I'd say they've been hiding for about 20 or so years, and after the initial exploration they sort of closed themselves up, venturing out only, really, to import gemstones. Over the last three years their numbers have reached a point where they dare to venture more into the outside world, and they are starting to need even more gems to keep the expanding population healthy.

As for the tears thing, part of the reason I'm rather... Attached to it, is that it's something I think of when I think of the defining features of the Jumi, the crystal core, and the healing tears. I also consider it, for all that it's dangerous to use, a trade off for the fact that they have an extra, and rather large weakspot. And as for a God-modding RPer... Well in a Philsys situation it's not a God-moddible ability, really, unless you mean manipulating NPCs to give up their souls to ressurect a Jumi and stuff, which I doubt anyone in charge is going to allow to happen lightly. In a free-form I could see it as a bit abusable, but like all other things in free-form people need to regulate themselves, really... Or, you know, be ostricized properly for powergaming. <p>The worst nightmares are those we create ourselves... And then ignore.</p>

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:17 am

I see! So, with such a small number of people, they're not much appropriate yet for making PCs, except for their creator/lots of instruction and discussion beforehand. Which isn't as negative as it sounds: Chris had some people make Barians a while back for an RP, one of the results being Alonso, a fairly amazing PC by reputation.

I like the idea, but unless you have an RP your thinking of for it they're not going to be doing much it looks like... I'd like to talk to you about some of this on AIM later. I use the same screen name on there as I use for a board ID, Besyanteo.

The Dark Gun

Unread postby The Dark Gun » Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:30 am

Okay, sounds good. I added you to my AIM list (I'm Thramkalith, of course) so I'll see you on at some point I'm certain.

And yeah, limited PC usage is most likely... And I actually wouldn't mind doing an RP about them, but I'm notorious for having stuff come up as soon as I think I'm open to GM something.

I'll admit, I do have a small bit of a plan for a Jumi character for myself, but yeah the rest of them seem like they'd need to be planned rather carefully. Particularly because of the tendency to be paired, AND their almost excessive need for secrecy. <p>The worst nightmares are those we create ourselves... And then ignore.</p>

The Dark Gun

Take Three!

Unread postby The Dark Gun » Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:53 pm

After some careful consideration I've made another edit to this attempt, fixing lots of spelling and some grammer errors, as well as some changes in how cores, tears, and the like are specified to work. I also changed the rigidness of the culture a little bit... And here we go:

Damage to the core can cause an almost infinite number of negative effects on the Jumi, ranging from a weakening of intellect, or a weakening of body, or both. It could also go so far as to cause a split personality disorder, or other effects of the like. This is not, however, the standard state of affairs. As the cores are quite strong, most attacks will do little more than chip or scratch them. This is quite painful for the Jumi, usually stunning them temporarily, and the slight damage tend to leave lingering ill effects. Such small things, though, gradually heal on their own, but deeper wounds take far more time to heal. A severe crack or fracture could take a matter of months to a year to heal properly. Though higher level healing spells are capable of hastening this repair, the only surefire way to heal a damaged core is the tears of another Jumi (Hence the importance of the Diana). Because of this, all Jumi fighting styles include defending their core as part of the overall stance, etc.

Jumi do not require as much food as other beings do, although they need to spend about one hour a day with their core exposed to a sparkling gem (As in: at least a mediocre cut and exposed to light) to feed of its brilliance. Failure to do so wears on them like failing to eat enough wears on humans, although it is possible that, by eating massive amounts of food, they could compensate for this lack. Two Jumi cannot share brilliance with each other, although they can stave off the "hunger" longer, particularly if traveling in a Warrior/Guardian pair (see society).

When a Jumi cries, actual flecks of their soul tend to escape with the tears. If it is a living being being cried for, these bits of soul can join with their body and make them stronger; easily healing any physical wounds they may have received. However, as the tears are bits of the Jumi's soul, this can cause a lessening of their overall life force. Because of this Jumi instinctively do not cry, and to overcome this they must exert an immense amount of willpower and be excessively sad (With one notable exception: Their leader, the single Diamond-type Jumi known as the Diana, can cry at will, having been carefully trained from youth to serve this purpose.). Other than the Diana, who is specially bread and trained to optimize the effect of this healing, the actual level of Jumi healing possible, and the cost on its user, vary greatly among Jumi. Many of the new generation tend to be able to heal others slight injuries with small exertion, but the older ones tend to be able to perform miraculous acts of healing at significant personal sacrifice.

On the other hand, any non-Jumi, fully sentient being who willingly and intentionally cries can transfer some fraction of their life energy to a Jumi by touching its core. However, this will always be enough energy to restore the Jumi to full vitality, while draining the same from the crier, including any permanent HP loss the Jumi has suffered from using its own tears (Assuming the Jumi’s tears ability grants them the capacity to lose permanent HP from crying, the crier "inherits" the permanent HP loss). Regardless of the manner by which this is done, or how much is healed, this places the giver in a temporary, almost unconscious state, as their bodies and souls are not built for this sort of a transfer the way a Jumi’s is. If this is used to revive a dead Jumi, however, the crier is petrified, and their soul is almost totally consumed. Nothing short of divine intervention or an equivalent power can resurrect them.

Jumi are capable of copulation and bearing children, however, the female must swallow a gemstone prior to the copulation for a child to be born. The gemstone will become the child's core. Jumi carry their "children" for 6 months before birth, although the child is not fully developed when born. In fact, it is merely a highly absorbent core stone. It requires 12 hours of exposure of brilliance per day, much less and it weakens and dies. It takes 5 months for the core to full develop a body, which appears as a 9 or 10 year old human child. It then takes 2 to 3 years for the "child" to become the standard Jumi form of a 20 something year old human. They are considered "babies" during this period. For the first four years after they gain their "adult" bodies they are put into intensive training, the first year determining their aptitudes, and the rest preparing them for the roles they will assume, either Warrior or Guardian. However, most stay "in study" for two more years picking up either more combat/healing skills, or a variety of other things, like agriculture, that they believe will serve the Jumi people. Until they leave "school" they do not work in pairs, and may remain unpaired for up to a year afterwards.

Jumi tend towards different genders based on gemstone. The Diana (Diamond) is always female (Also note there can be no more than two Diamond Jumi at once, and then only if one is quite old, and tutoring the other, who should be rather young. The last act of passing on the Diana's powers to a new Diamond Jumi is actually a ritual of self-sacrifice that ends with the old Diana's core shattered and the shards sprinkled upon the new), as are Jade types, just as Ruby and Lapis Lazuli types are always male. However, with the rest, either gender is possible, although Pearl tends towards female, Opal towards male, Emerald towards male, and Sapphire towards female.

History: The Jumi are an ancient race who, until recently, had become, for all intents and purposes, completely extinct. A few large gemstones around the world were all the fragments that had surfaced in current times. There are, however, a few lost cities, two are known to have sunk into the ocean, and one was buried. This buried city was discovered by a small group of explorers and excavators. This city proved to be the original capitol city of the Jumi, and possessed annals of their history, including their tragic and sudden decline. Filled with emotion over what he had read the head of the expedition laid his hands upon the pedestal and wept, wishing that the Jumi would live once more. Under normal circumstances this would have effected nothing, even though the pedestal did have a Jumi core set in it, the lack of true intent should have made the act just a demonstration of sorrow... But something strange happened. The Jumi in question was, in fact resurrected and, as was the customary trade, the man was petrified. The other explorers, seeing only the scintillating burst of colors that was the Jumi being reborn, ran, afraid that their comrade had unleashed a trap. Instead he had done something quite different... He had resurrected the last Diana of the Jumi, who had died before her time, and, because of this, had led her people to death. Living once more, she set about the rites to revive her nation. They came alive, now ages later, confused, uncertain. Their Diana, from using so much power, was weak, and so their newfound existence was tentative at best. They left the ruins, though, and left the caves, carrying what gems they could with them. A few were sent out to learn about who lived in the lands now, and returned with news of the outside world. The most worrisome of which was the value of large gems, like those that composed the Jumi's cores. Due to this and their general lack of knowledge of the ways of others at this time, they have founded a small, hidden village (Location of all these things unknown as this entire idea has not yet been approved, and I'd need to clear it with someone to get it placed in Igala somewhere. I have no idea if Pervy's offer still stands as I've been gone for quiet a long time) and are currently trying to "feel out" the current times.

Society: The Jumi society is very hierarchal, and has a caste system ingrained in it. All Jumi belong to one of two castes, they are either Warriors or Guardians. The Guardians possess no physical offensive fighting abilities, instead they are trained only to ward off blows against themselves and their core (Unarmed Fighting, only PA) and concentrate on healing magic and other aspects of life, such as cooking, farming, etc. Guardians tend to be female, although this is not a rule. Warriors are trained in many forms of combat, particularly in the defense of another individual (Their paired Guardian). Though they specialize in physical combat, they are more than just fighting machines, particularly those who never intend to leave whatever town/city they are raised in. Warriors tend to be males. Certain core colors tend towards certain castes (and the Diana is always a Guardian). A Guardian/Warrior pair is meant to look out for each other, and for one of a pair to die is a societal black mark against the other, as is the abandoning of one by the other. In a pair, one can sense the others presence at a reasonable distance without being able to see/hear/smell/etc them in any other way. To do so, however, takes concentration, and causes both of their cores to flash for a second with visible light, the searcher's one second before the searched. Although the pairs are usually male/female this does not suggest any deeper relation than that of comrades and close friends. It is possible that a Warrior may live without a Guardian, particularly away from Jumi society, but a Guardian without a Warrior would have trouble surviving for very long. Also, a lone Warrior is usually treated with derision, and a lone Guardian is treated much like an orphan, usually well taken care of by others, but pitied and usually not respected. Though, culturally, this is still all strongly believed in, practicality has begun to rule the day. Though they still train for combat and such in this manner, due to their reduced population, many Jumi have been forced to work on their own when moving out into the world, in part to avoid suspicion and detection, and also in part because it lets them, on a whole, cover more ground. Because of this, most explorers sent away from the small town are Warriors; though some of the more magically inclined Guardians have been sent out as well.

The hierarchy of the society is set up with deference towards rarer gemstones, and with a tendency towards matriarchy (Because of the Diana's femininity). The Diana's word is the law that binds the Jumi society, and all obey her, to do otherwise is punishable by death, particularly now when they have just begun to live again in a world that may be hostile to them. Currently, the Jumi have been stockpiling whatever gems they can scrounge so that their small village has sufficient brilliance for them to survive. Small groups, and more commonly a Warrior/Guardian pair have been sent out to investigate the state in which the world currently rests. They travel in disguise, trying to prevent the world from knowing they have awakened until they know the general response. As most records of their existence have been lost, or are at least very obscure, they are uncertain of the attitude of the current dominant races, but fear they will be hunted for their cores. They also believe, and probably correctly, that they will be hunted for their healing abilities, while at the same time ostracized for the terrible price having a close relationship with one can exact.

A note on tears: It is considered taboo for a Jumi other than the Diana to cry, particularly in this current age, as it weakens the overall strength of the Jumi nation. To receive the tears of a Jumi is supposed to be a great honor, but the Jumi are more likely to treat the recipient with a derisive sort of "Well I sure hope you were worth it" type of attitude. On the opposite side, those who have wept for the Jumi are treated with great respect, and those who have been petrified so that one of them could live were once enshrined in a temple, though they lack the mans for such a grand structure at this time. Also, a Jumi is capable of crying for him/herself, and doing so produces no effect, positive or negative, however, in Jumi society this is considered an ultimate mark of shame.

Other Jumi tendencies: Because of their inability to express grief through tears, they generally do not express sorrow to the degree humans or other humanoids do. This tendency also causes them to be slightly emotionally withdrawn in general, not that they do not feel the full range of emotion, but they do not express them outwardly. This, of course, only a tendency, but a Jumi that expressed his/her emotions to the same range humans do would be considered, if not foolish, at least an oddity. Also, as Jumi almost always work in pairs, they are trained to support another person in combat well, either helping them ward off blows or some other form of support (Most Jumi characters raised in a Jumi society should take some sort of skill to represent this). It can be noted as well that a Jumi's core starts to glow faintly when they are very happy, under heavy emotional duress, or involved in combat. Jumi of either caste tend to be slightly more rugged than humans, and Warriors tend to be stronger than an average human. Jumi Warriors tend not to use magic, although such a thing has been heard of. This is because a magic user is not considered as proficient in defending themselves and others. Jumi range the spectrum of Magic Aptitudes, as some are very adept at astral manipulation, however most of them are identified at a young age and raised in the Guardian caste, as such most Warriors have little or no magical aptitude. Most magic using Warriors and their Guardians are expected to work with another pair in which the Warrior of that pair is of the standard variety.

Information as per Gaera Guide requirements:
Name: Jumi
1. Lifespan: Indefinite.
2. --
3. The Dark Gun/Thramkalith
4. Tend to be tall (Male: 5'9"-6'8", Female: 5'3"-6'6"). Feature a large, perfectly cut gem set in torso, eye color matches (Except for among white gems). Generally of innate good health. Also have a tendency towards angular features.
5. Tears of Healing, Soul Reception, Relies mostly on light refracted through gemstones for sustenance rather than food or water.
6. The Jumi are a recently resurrected race, and little record is left of what they were before. Now, though, they live almost unique in a singular small village, trying to hide from the outside world and propagate, even as they send some of their people out to explore the rest of the world. Jumi's protect their core above all things, because it is a physical incarnation of their soul. If removed, they die instantly, as though their aura was rent.

The Dark Gun

Unread postby The Dark Gun » Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:03 pm

Well then, if no one has any further comments or suggestions, I think I'll call this finished. I'll probably add it to the Wiki or something in a few days to make it official-official or whtever... Of course, any last minute thoughts or whtever would still be appreciated.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:42 pm

I still think the 'indefinite' lifespan is silly. I mean, seriously.

Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!

Unread postby Spleen » Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:44 pm

Dia has a point, there. Especially considering the "training" of the Diana; wouldn't it make the most sense to have an aging Diana, painfully aware of her own approaching mortality, bringing up the new one?
"Tell you what, Leto, I won't fight with you. Zeus' wives are pretty tough customers. You have my permission to boast openly that you have beaten the daylights out of me."
-Hermes, the Iliad (Stanley Lombardo, translator) Book 21

The Dark Gun

Unread postby The Dark Gun » Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:46 pm

Hrm, I considered the Diana's gradual demise to be more an offshoot of the gradual loss of her soul strength as she used her tears to revitalize damaged Jumi, however I suppose living nigh-indefinately unless killed is likely a bit much, so the question then becomes, how long should they live... Unfortunately I am uncertain of the appropriate length of time they should live, while I expect a rather long life span, the exact duration I don't have an exact range in mind.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:31 pm

If you want a long lived race, the mean, median, and mode of the races on the wiki (minus those with unlimited or unspecified lifespan, and monsters such as draken and wyrm) are 546.7 years, 150 years (centuar), and 75 years/100 years* respectively.

In terms of Family Feud, out of 100 respondants the number one response for 'how many years does a long-lived race live?' would be closer to 500-600 years; higher than that wouldn't be in the experience of the average Gaeran (the average PC, on the other hand, is another matter). Your average Igalan would likely consider it to be common for someone to live around 75 or 100 years, perhaps exceptionally lucky to live upwards of 150. So setting some range between 1000-4000 years would establish the Jumi as a pretty long-lived race.

*the mode, what number occurs most frequently: 75 years (four races--goblin, inujin, minotaur, nekojin), 100 years (four races--succubus, garoujin, gre'par'thian human, sushijin)

The Dark Gun

Unread postby The Dark Gun » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:44 pm

Well, hrm... Say 1000 being the usual "old age" for Jumi, with most dying by 1500. Diana's tend to live a much shorter 500-700, and other tear-heavy Jumi tend to drop to about 750-900 or so. This, of course, does not count years spent just as a core, and it is unknown what effects being ressurected via the sacrifice of a human/etc. does to the lifespan. Due to their excessive longevity, they are usually careful about their reproductive rate, but with their much declined population at present they are currently encouraging their members to reproduce to regain a stable level of populace, preferrably before the world discovers their existance.

The Dark Gun

Unread postby The Dark Gun » Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:07 pm

It has also come to my attention that all Jumi will have to place at least point in Mag. So mote it be.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:35 pm

Sounds pretty reasonable. ::thumbs up!::

Return to OOC RP Discussion