A completely pointless question: Offworlder accents?

RP-related discussion otherwise not covered in the Character Closet.
FlamingDeth

A completely pointless question: Offworlder accents?

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:16 pm

So, for no reason in particular, I had a thought, something which is surprisingly common for me. We've determined what accents correspond to which Gaeran languages, but what about offworlders? What accents would someone from present day America have?

The thought that occured to me would be to make correlations between languages and their Earth equivelants. Yes, I'm well aware of the fact that they aren't the same languages. However, it would be kind of neat if, say, Spanish and Inustani used the same phonemes, thus leading to the same accent when learning different languages. Or if someone from Spain learned Inustani, it would sound as if they were native to Inustan.

Or is there already some precedent set for this sort of thing?

ALSO: I apologize for how disjointed this post sounds. <p>Image</p>

FlamingDeth

Re: A completely pointless question: Offworlder accents?

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:25 pm

Yes, yes, I'm aware of that, but does someone who's native language is English but learns Nekonian have the same accent there as someone who's native language is Common but learns Nekonian? <p>Image</p>Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=flamingdeth>FlamingDeth</A] at: 3/17/04 3:25 pm

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Wed Mar 17, 2004 4:21 pm

My thoughts.

Common is kinda like English. Kinda. An english speaker would take it up more readily than a Spanish speaker. A Spanish speaker would get it more easily than an Japanese speaker. Conversely, a Japanese speaker would get Nekonian much more easily than an English speaker.

That's how I would portray it if it ever really came up for me.

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:54 pm

Probably.

JoshuaDurron

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:31 pm

I agree with Pervy. Latin and Greek are the roots for English, and (I've been told by the local language department) people who learn those languages don't have much of an accent speaking them. (I dunno how they tell this, but hey...)

So I'd asume it'd be the same with Gaeran languages. But really, what kind of accent a character carries over is up to the player, IMO. All sorts of unique accents exist, just in the lower 48 US states. <p>

"Crazy is good." - Luffy, One Piece
</p>

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:49 pm

...English's roots are not Latin and Greek, since it's part of the Germanic language family. Whoever told you otherwise needs to be punched. :( <p>Image</p>

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:24 pm

35% latin, 60% German, 5% French from what I hear.

It seems that most Gaeran languages either derived from or contributed to Common, or they grew out of their own niches independantly (A'la Basque.)

Given it's established Common exists on other some worlds, it seems logical to say that some Gaeran tongues derived from it, and that Common itself may be extraplanar in origin.

Dunno if that contradicts anything or not.

Return to OOC RP Discussion