What character types do you favor?

RP-related discussion otherwise not covered in the Character Closet.
SALSAlys

What character types do you favor?

Unread postby SALSAlys » Tue Jan 20, 2004 2:50 pm

Just random thought I had. Read through and add your own opinions and shizzle. =D

What character types do you favor? Going by race or personality.

I mean, which characters do you enjoy playing the most and why? Also, which 'types' of characters have you created the most of? Such as "cheerfully manic", "paranoid", "painfully shy", etc.

With me, for example, I like playing hyper, happily manic characters such as Nightbride, Ryoko, or Tiffany. On the other hand, one of my favorite characters to play is Karin Vaza, who refers to herself as a "professional bitch" and swears a lot. I suppose you'd say I have two main types, going by that logic.

At any rate, this post is starting to lose coherence.

But: What character types do you favor?

Blaze Yamato Spirit

Re: What character types do you favor?

Unread postby Blaze Yamato Spirit » Tue Jan 20, 2004 3:46 pm

*chuckles* It's always fun to read your posts as they gradually begin to lose their cohesion, Lyssy. :D

Race - mine cover quite a wide spectrum, though I have a lot of humans, perhaps because as a human myself I find them easier to play.

Personality - most are basically good, though with individual quirks and sometimes vastly different moral codes. I like my good characters to be cheerful, as a rule.

Those evil characters that I play tend towards arrogancy and often short-sightedness when it comes to long term vision, though this IS only a tendency, not a rule.

And then of course I occasionally have fun playing characters who are merely looking out for themselves.

[EDIT]

Class - No real preference, other than a tendency to mix and match classes where possible. If you have to think of this in terms of a D&D multiclass, do so. For instance, I'm fond of a fighter/mage combo, and Blaze, for example, could probably be considered a fighter/mage/ranger in D&D terms, whereas his son Drake (Second Gen) would be a mage/fighter/rogue. My magic using characters are probably in a minority, for the very simple reason that it means that there's less for me to think about. When I actually play them, though, I can find the experience very rewarding.

More recently, characters of mine have been taking on more mercenary aspects (my original mercenaries were also wardens, creating, in some respects, a complete contradiction in terms) including businessmen (do I hear Aza'rek?), mages, bounty hunters, and gnomish tinkerers alongside just good old mercenary warriors. <p><div style="text-align:center">---
"Ah well. The eternal quest for pleasurable time consumption continues."
~
Who else?</div></p>Edited by: Blaze Yamato Spirit at: 1/21/04 3:31 pm

Elementalist Daien

Unread postby Elementalist Daien » Tue Jan 20, 2004 6:16 pm

Race - Humans or Elves. Usually, anything else requires that it somehow help me envision them better. :( Can't imagine Day without incubusness, can you now? >.>

Personality - Strange. STRANGE. Some do vary, but, well... D is strange in his own way, Elia in hers... Of course, I do have some serious characters, but strangeness is fun. :D

Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Tue Jan 20, 2004 6:54 pm

Race: I usually go for humans, although as most people who RP with me know, circumstances usually change. Griff died and was resurrected as a demon, Cervant was murdered and ascended to become a celestial Angel, Kristoph turned nekojin by his own magic, Loake cursed....Actually, that's about all I can think of. But, yeah. I usually go for humans, or at least something trying to pass as a human.

Personality: I go for a wide range of things. I usually start with a basic concept and let it go from there. Sometimes they'll end up completely different from how they're intended. Thinking about it, I've ended up with a pretty wide array. Griff is incredibly easy to anger and ready to bring pain to people, as where Janda/Cervant wouldn't hurt anything if she could avoid it. Kristoph is an ass, as where Kris is incredibly caring and friendly. Loake is greedy, Nezetta's loyal, and so on.

Edit: I said Angel, and you can't prove otherwise! <p>

<div style="text-align:center">
Image</div>
<div style="text-align:center">Why Barius has no family reunions.</div></p>Edited by: Shinigori V2&nbsp; Image at: 1/22/04 4:12 pm

Raishilliah

Unread postby Raishilliah » Tue Jan 20, 2004 6:55 pm

Race- Elves. I have some sort of fascination for elves or something. Too many of them piling up by now. Waaaay too many. x_X

Personality- Cynical and/or chronically messed up or depressed. I tend to make angsty ones when I'm in an angsty mood, thereby giving me many of them. <p>

l33tPenguinePimp: I'm going to try to make a bread bowl.
KnightsofSquare: Good luck.
KnightsofSquare: I can't even make a bread play ping pong.</p>

Choark

Unread postby Choark » Tue Jan 20, 2004 7:17 pm

Whee. Well time for another badly spelt and horrible use of grammer from me. Go me!

Race: I prefure Humans honestly, or un-dead Humans, but defiantly mostly Human. Elves can go cry as far as I care. A bunch of pansy asses crying whenever a tree falls over is not someone I'd want to spend time with. Now Dwarves rawk an' Orks rage but I don't really RP 'em. But I've personally got a chip on the sholder against Elves, who are given far too much credit then there worth. Tree hugging hippee's. They need a Vietnam, that'll sort there wagon. Half Elves are okay though, little more down to Earth.

Personality: I favour none. There's a few I have lots of trouble doing so I wouldn't even try to do 'em, like a 'know it all' who does 'know-it-all' as I don't know it all and pretending to doesn't appeal. Normally though I tend to have people who are pretty much self serving. Not sure why, just do. Suppose with trying to please and be nice to others all the time the idea of RPing it leaves a sour taste in the mouth.

Class: Despite popular belief and my ranting I do actually love mages. Can become really damn powerful and as an RPer there's not much more fun then standing before an Army and blowing it away with a few well spoken words. However I hate it when there are lots of these people around, and as everyone else loves the idea of doing this I tend not to RP 'em. Just as much fun RPing with a well played one anywho.
WeaponMasters: I love characters that either completely master one weapon or a whole castle full of 'em. Hell I honestly love it when you see weapon masters or warriors so good they can actually stand a chance over a mage one on one.
Thieves: My old favorite. Something strangly not RP'ed by me greatly here, but done everywhere else when I got the chance before coming over this way. Thieves are great. Either stealing for a cause, or stealing for a just cause *grins* theres nothing more fun then a thief, there sack of lock picks, a bag of traps and a pouch full of spell scrolls. Honestly I rarely RP'ed smooth talking thieves, leave that to the bards, but a pick pocket, trap setting and locksmith is where its at. Also handy if fast at the running away and vanishing like ninja.

Generally though, long as I'm and everyone else around me is having fun I'll have a go at almost anyone. If in a group RP I'll always try to put in a character that clashes with the rest somehow, least we have a case of
"I want to go that way cause that guy said not to"
"Yeah me too"
"Me Too"
Thought the same thing"
"I'm an elf, love me!"

And so on. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image </div>
<div style="text-align:center">Cowgirl fanboy - Barbarian Ninja - Expert Mouse Catcher - Holder of the Iron Glasses Of Doom!</div></p>

KingOfDoma
Guess Who It Is?

Unread postby KingOfDoma » Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:08 pm

I actively endeavour to be completely unbiased in such things. I bend towards Lawful Good-ish humans, cuz I'm one, but if I don't keep it fresh, it feels stale to me.

... *needs to do a chaotic evil demon soon...* <p>--------------------
"Kill her. Then we'll have pizza."

-Scorpius, Farscape</p>

Divinegon2130

Unread postby Divinegon2130 » Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:18 pm

Race: Really a wide spectrum here, although my favorite, for one reason or another, tends to be demon for whatever reason. Dragons are in second place.

Personality: I tend to use characters who lack patience, because that's how I am. The villains I use tend to be more calm than the 'good guys' I use. In any event, I also have a tendency to give a character a personality that's contradictory to the character's nature (when I say "nature" in this regard I mean their race).

Sometimes, I will just give a character a piece of my personality and let it develop from there. Other times, I develop the character more deeply before I turn him loose. In short, a very mixed bag. <p>

Image <span style="font-size:medium;"> Quotes of the Moment: </span> <span style="font-size:xx-small;">

=="Yeah, well STUDY THIS!!" - Sonya Blade, "Mortal Kombat"
=="Buckle your seat belt Dorothy, 'cause Kansas is goin' bye bye." - Cypher, "The Matrix"

View my online journal here.
Also, if you have a question about my characters, look here. </span></p>

JoshuaDurron

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:43 pm

Race- Humans, mostly. Those who are not humans are part human, with maybe one or two exceptions. I prefer humans to the exclusion of almost all else, simply because they're so flexible, while most other races, either by prejudice or nature, are not. The two exceptions I make are to lizard-man like races, mainly because I've thought the Exile game's Slithzerikai were the coolest things ever, and psi-demons, a creature I created myself, and am prejudiced towards.

Personality- I like thinkers, for the most part. A little charisma is a given. No particular 'alingment', mainly because I find such things unrealistic and restrictive. No particular type of character (mage, fighter, ect) either. BUT, most of my characters are a tad on the serious side, a flaw I am trying to remedy. Those that are not overly serious are bitingly sarcastic, or apathetic, no really over the top or energetic types. <p>

Things you learn from working at Burger King-

- "Bum Rush" refers to when the bar next door closes.
- A raw egg will explode if microwaved.
- The local Police Department considers 'Dire need of a Chocolate Shake' an emergency situation.
- Yes, the grease in the frier is hot.
- Always believe a manager when they tell you the grease is hot.
- Do not use your hand to see if the grease in the frier is hot.
- Do not curse in front of customers.</p>

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:14 pm

Hmmm...

Generally, I tend towards either humans, or things that can pass as human thanks to (Plot Device). When I branch out, it's either due to plot, or due to the race fitting the mindset I want to create.

I have a fondness for Celestials, insomuch as I often see them oversimplified one way or another. And, they are more free of the taint of abject lamerism than demons usually are. Generally, when using a more common race that isn't human, I try to give them something to break the mold a bit. Races that are off the wall; such as Inverse; I generally try to make 'normal' as possible otherwise.

Personality-wise, I tend toward self-active characters that are openminded in some way. Angst seldom hit mine for more than a CI or two, as they tend to be the sort who want to go out and deal with the trouble rather than sit around and grumble about it. Patience tends to be common, but not the rule by any means. Villains tend to be arrogant and/or insane; most have some sort of prejudice. However, there are none that can't be reasoned with, if you approach them the right way.

NebulaQueen

Unread postby NebulaQueen » Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:21 pm

Hmn...most of my characters tend to have introvertish qualities. Even if they're friendly, they most likely don't go out of their way to create a scene unless necessary. Many times, they're similar to that quiet person in the corner, just minding their own business. However, that still leaves a lot of room for variety...for example, there's a nice difference between, say, Spob and Alonso. <p>

<span style="font-size:xx-small;">
"Hello, I'm Troy Mclure! You may remember me from such realms as Hell, and Gaera!"-Shinigori, OOC</span></p>

Dragon Sage007
Property of the USMC

Tolaris, anyone?

Unread postby Dragon Sage007 » Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:07 pm

Race:Pretty much any. I concern myself with their story more often than their race.

Personality:I like to go for the analytical type. Perhaps once in a while some that act on impulse, but mostly them.

Of course, my good guys are rather interchangable with bad guys, in their own minds, with one exception.

I haven't used many of them, though.

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Re: Tolaris, anyone?

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Wed Jan 21, 2004 1:40 am

All of my characters--ALL of them--are arrogant as fuck. Most of them will use a lot of big words. I have no real race preferences as far as RP'ing goes, although I will admit that I have a soft spot in my heart for Thri-kreen (for all the good it does me, as next to nobody will allow one in their games). <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

FlamingDeth

No. No Tolaris.

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Wed Jan 21, 2004 3:56 am

I go with humans, as there's the whole "versatile" deal, and elves, who contrary to what Cho thinks don't have to be treehugging pansies. For personalities, I also tend to go with at least mildly arrogant people, and that's about it as far as common trends. Oh, and at least one overly exaggerated personality trait. For "class" or whatever, I'm fairly flexible on this. At most, though, my characters end up being agility based as far as fighting skill, whether it be fighting with swords, magic, guns, whatever.

Oh, and above all that, they have to have the ability to be used in dramatic situations, and do so with style. If you can't do something with style, no use doing it at all. <p><center><table border=0><td>Image</td><td>

I don't know what the hell this thing is, but the chicks dig it.

</td></table></center></p>

Selene Starblade

Hrmmm..

Unread postby Selene Starblade » Wed Jan 21, 2004 1:25 pm

This actually isn't something I've thought about a lot.

Considering, though...

Racially, I like to play either original versions of existing races (See Zail the Naga, Reiko the Half-dragon (Lung Wang), Akane the Blood Angel, etc.) or totally original creations (Selene the Demisphinxii, Akki the lizardlike Rage Demoness, Yume the draconic half-deity immortal). Incidentally, while I adore character growth, I like to churn out my characters fully formed, personality-wise. Meh.

In terms of alignment, I don't really see things that way. Some of my characters could be called heroes, but don't see themselves as that, and I think at least one is an anti-hero. For the most part, though, while good-natured, they couldn't really be classified as 'good'. I have a powerful tendency towards chaos and free-thinkers, but that doesn't go far enough to render them neccessarily chaotic, per se.... mostly neutral in aspect there, too.

Personality-wise, all my characters tend to be outcast in some way. Either by choice, by circumstance, or by nature, they are all outsiders to normal society. Probably because I am- it's what I understand. At the same time, some of them, like Zail, have very non-human personalities, which I understand easily because of the way pretty much all personalities are alien to me other than my own. I know it doesn't make much sense, but there it is. My characters tend to be charitable and good-natured, and occasionally absentminded. Some tend to be excessively calm and others extremely touchy. Pretty much all of them are free-thinkers, though, and as outsiders to society, they do not let themselves be restricted by societal constraints.

Banjooie

Unread postby Banjooie » Wed Jan 21, 2004 2:11 pm

Selene still posts here? o.o

...But yeah.

Race: I use humans. If only because I'm not good enough at other races. Elves have complicated backgrounds, usually, and I've never really gotten dwarves down just right. I think I might just make a dwarf sometime. Though, GENERALLY, I try to use what isn't overdone at the time.

Types: Non-adventurous. The sort that sort of really doesn't want to come along on the quest, but does so anyway. Say, any of the Neo Vanists. The idea being that not everyone's going to be gung-ho for going out there and adventuring. Usually highly eccentric, chaotic neutral types.

And the other pervading thing. All of my characters would be exceedingly overpowerful but for some bothersome flaw. The Neo Vanists could probably do anything but for the fact they believe most things like that cause insanity. Thalamasa'd be omnipotent but the gods didn't bother putting that bit in. That sort of deal.

FF Fanatic 80
Driver of the OOC Bus

Hmmm

Unread postby FF Fanatic 80 » Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:55 pm

Race: Most of the time, humans. Though I do use them, I do have a minor pet peeve with non-human races in fantasy settings. Aggravates me when humans are portrayed as sucky/weak/evil/worthless compared to Elves/Dragons/Dwarfs/Etc, so I try to take a human and make him unique in his own way. Which usually comes out of a class/ability they have.

Personality: The most dominant trait in all my characters seems to be an explosive temper... which is definitely a shortcoming of mine 9.9; Otherwise, I like to attempt different things when they come to mind, be it a overreacting Paladin, a pissy Swordmage, an inquisitive BlueMage, or an assholish Mazoku-Half

Archmage144

Re: Hmmm

Unread postby Archmage144 » Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:21 pm

Most of my characters are somehow magically inclined. Even if they aren't a flat out wizard (like Hakaril), they've got something there (like Karis) or are magical just by association (like Riss'ar).

Arrogance, sadism, and paranoia are probably my favorite character personality traits (or vices, I suppose), though I have a healthy appreciation for stoicisim. I tend to play humans or elves (of any variety) and generally am not a fan of more exotic races for my own characters--I like to prove that there are less important factors, though I have a fondness for celestials that's probably comparable with Pervy's, though it approaches a different angle--I like the stereotypical avenging angels of justice quite a bit, though that's not enough to be a character by itself in my eyes. <p>
<div style="text-align:center">Image</div>

</p>

Spleen Posts From Marylan

ONE POTATO TWO POTATO BOOM.

Unread postby Spleen Posts From Marylan » Sun Jan 25, 2004 4:48 am

I tend to switch up character types as much as possible. I don't like having all characters with the same personality and stuff. I had that during my days of Yahoo! RP clubs, and it bored me almost to tears, because all my characters had my personality. Right now, I have characters spanning a couple different personality types. Seryntas (Gaera Main) is arrogant, thickheaded, and psychopathic. Andy Fireblade (Gaera Main) is really really stupid and generally very trusting, but if he has some reason not to trust you then you're likely to have him attack you with any number of varied weapons. <Insert Current Name Here> (Gaera Main) is completely off-the-wall, he's very opinionated, he has the worst case of ADD in known history, and he confuses the hell out of people (just ask DW's character Bill). Drew Fireblade (Second Gen) and Adrian Cruz (Iconoclast) are good, kind, well-rounded guys, but both have some stuff they'd like to forget about. Jason Krad (Iconoclast) is running from his past and - let's face it - his entire subspecies, and thus comes off paranoid. Boris Yulevski (Gaera Main) was surprisingly not conceived as a pompous and irritatingly toadyish man with no sense of how much of an ass people think he is, but he managed to turn out that way anyway, and I rather enjoy playing him.

I tend to play humans because they're the easiest for a number of reasons. One, I don't have to stretch my brain trying to understand the thought process of a made-up race. Two, porting a human is relatively simple (though I haven't had need to port in years). Three, they can be in any setting (within reason) with little difficulty. All of my characters, as a matter of fact, are human (okay, Jay's actually a Shifter, but that's really just an augmented human).

I don't tend to play magic users that often, and rarely ever pure mages.

sorgoth

Re: ONE POTATO TWO POTATO BOOM.

Unread postby sorgoth » Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:09 pm

Choark, I love that post.

And , although I haven't done any rping here at all yet, I might as well say what I like.

First off, I enjoy playing freaks. Whether it's some kind of curse, or just being a weird-ass race, I like being strange.

I also enjoy giving my characters major psychological disorders (often because of their freakishness, but sometimes they're just crazy.) I usually include a short disclaimer that no, this isn't at all like me, I just find psychology fascinating and like exploring the... darker regions of the humanoid psyche.
I've made a character that enjoy burning, then peeling his skin...it made for some great role-playing opportunities (I believe he killed himself).

I like playing bad guys. Not only because, well, it's fun, but because the "Ultimate army of DOOM" tends to be taken more seriously when there's a player behind it, and not a secondary character. It's always mood-destroying when two or three people wipe out the entire enemy's army in a couple of posts and with only cosmetic damage. (Look, it doesn't matter if you have a scratch across the face, you're going to fight just as well with or without.)

As for classes, I usually go magical. If it's an RP with more...open terms, then I like taking a freak character, and that's characters freakishness is his weapon. If it's more limited, than I generally use something arcane.

Ash Fanrico
The Key Master

Unread postby Ash Fanrico » Tue Feb 10, 2004 2:03 am

Race: I'm a multiple race (and species) person, but I find myself using the humans a bit more. I like orcs, I like Dwarves, and on an obvious note... Demonic creatures. Some are magically inclined (Cathare, Ebeneezer, Dark Fanrico, Remarte to an extent, Puzo), others aren't (The rest). I mainly like to use the not-so-chosen character races, like orcs and dwarves. Not to metion animals and beasts.

Personality: Some are extensions of my moods, others are characters I'd like to try out... see how well and how long I can go with it. I try to make every character different than the others. Ash is not like Rogers, and Dark Fanrico is not like Merr. <p>"So instead of finding a real warrior, you go out and get little girl in hootchie skirt?" - Nicolai, Resident Evil 3 (not really)</p>

The Duelist

Unread postby The Duelist » Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:24 pm

Race: Whatever the hell I feel like. Humans are good for playing it safe. I'd do dwarf's but I don't really feel comfortable with them unless I can do em with an accent of some sort. Elves aren't my style, but I've been known to come up with stuff from time to time.

Style: Most of my people are either Arrogant, Supremely confident in their skills, Or Holier-than-thou. Its not that their arrogant, as much as they're That Damn Good. I just like making Professional Operators. I've also made a few Comic Relief, Hides In The Corner characters, and a few heavy duty mages. Explosions are FUUUUUN. Mostly though, once I figure out how a character thinks and works, they end up with a few issues, and a bit of lovely persona. Then you get guys like Max Payneinear, who have a LOT of Issues, and Double Persona, and make everyone look like a laughingstock professionally. I seriously need to find a place to RP Max...I love that kind of style, and I don't use it much...

AHHH, ATTACK OF THE RANDOM TANGENT!!! <p>Technically, their ability to move that fast is physically impossible. This is generally why physicists aren't much fun at parties.</p>

Bardash Blackridge

Unread postby Bardash Blackridge » Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:07 pm

I really prefer any race. I am most concerned with the personality of the character in the specific race. I tend to prefer a character with a deep understanding of himself and a desire to know truth. I find writing a character with this type of personality enlivening. The writer becomes the master architect of the character's world. As the story is written, the character becomes deeply involved in discovery of the meaning of his existence. In essence, this character is searching for you. Anyway, I also like characters who are noble, but struggle with an inner conflict of good vs. evil. This character struggles to free himself from his dark side as the story progresses. Will he win? That is for the writer to decide.

I should add that a little light comedy goes a long way... <p>________________________________________
You have never been anywhere until you have been Bardash Blackridge at: 2/16/04 10:16 pm
[/i]

BlackSoulSatan666Evil

wtf?

Unread postby BlackSoulSatan666Evil » Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:52 am

d00d! DAT SUX! Image

dose chars suk lol wtf?

raec- all but humans. dey suk d00d my faves r demons + dragons +elves. or all 3 Image

p - dark + mysteruios + cool + badess. dark cloks rule lol. dey r so bdass. i also like fire n shadwo.

in conlciuscon, U ALL SUK.

NamagomiMk0

Re: wtf?

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:50 pm

We either have a hardcore lamer, or someone's being sarcastic. I'm betting it's the latter. <p>ChibiUrusai: *chomps* I am underage. ^-^
Arch mage144: This means nothing to me. =P
T3chn0Namagomi: *motherly voice* Brian! What would Kate think if she heard you say that?!

---Dirtiness in a chat. Blame my mind for being in the gutter.

-Namagomi, who lives up to his name in this case.</p>Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=namagomimk0>NamagomiMk0</A] at: 2/17/04 12:52 pm

Bardash Blackridge

Unread postby Bardash Blackridge » Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:56 pm

Like I said, a little light comedy goes a long way.... <p>________________________________________
You have never been anywhere until you have been here.</p>

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:20 pm

I don't see "Dark," "Death," "Shadow," or "Dragon" in there. Tut, whoever made that was not so well-versed in the ways of the internet culture! <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

Return to OOC RP Discussion