Backstory for (Some) Werewolves. *Edited 11/21/03*

RP-related discussion otherwise not covered in the Character Closet.
FF Fanatic 80
Driver of the OOC Bus

Backstory for (Some) Werewolves. *Edited 11/21/03*

Unread postby FF Fanatic 80 » Sat Jul 05, 2003 8:04 pm

A (good long) while ago, I said I would try to come up with some more information about werewolves. Namely, the kind my characters are (Jonas, Gina, and Chris). I've thought about it for awhile, and I *think* I have something that would mesh well with the currents Gods and future characters (if any). So wee, here goes ^_^;

Werewolves of Fluffigami (Stacey)

In the early time of this world's life, the human race was just beginning their own existance. In the dense forest of one paticular continent, there lived a man and woman. The pair loved one another very much, and managed to care for themselves off of what the forest could provide them. Their lives, while difficult, were tranquil and happy for the most part. Until one day.

The woman had decided to go off on her own on a moonlit night to gather food and plants for their home. But as she approached a thicket of flowers, a large wolf emerged, growling and snarling at the woman. She backed into a tree, terrified by the strange creature with fur and sharp teeth as it came toward her. She held her eyes shut, knowing the creature would likely sink its sharp teeth into her throat soon. Strangely, the growling suddenly stopped. She opened her eyes, to see the wolf just staring at her, head cocked to the side inquisitively, its sharp fangs no longer bared. She crouched down to look at it, amazed at how quickly it had gone from something so frightening to something so... curious. She wondered if perhaps, the creature had been just as terrified as she had.

Just as she began to move toward the creature, however, a blur of what appeared to be a large stick came swinging down, striking the wolf hard in the back of its head. She looked up, to see her mate continuing to beating the wolf with it. Before she could even speak a breath, it was already too late, and the creature lay dead before them. The man quickly hugged his mate tightly, glad he had protected her from the vicious creature. As the woman tried to speak with her mate, the pair were blinded by a bright light. A young girl appeared to them, looking down at the dead wolf and sobbing. The man turned from his mate to face her, trying desperately to explain what had happened. The young girl simply turned toward the man, eyes still fresh with tears as she raised her hand toward him. The wolf on the ground disappear in a flash, and the man suddenly felt as if he were on fire. The woman watched, eyes and mouth wide open in horror as she watched her mates form being changed. In a matter of moments, she found herself starting at the very same wolf she had seen earlier... only now it had eyes the same color as her mate's. The woman turned toward the young girl, hoping to plea for mercy toward her mate, but the girl had already left.

The woman was confused, unsure of what to do. As she looked into the wolf's eyes, she knew it was still her mate. But at the same time, it wasn't. She could not understand his strange growls and whines, nor could he understand her gestures and speech. He would not go into their home, choosing instead to stay out in the wilderness around them. And she could not keep up with him, as he journeyed about the woods at great speed. And as she tried to sleep at night, her mate's mournful howls would kept her awake each night.

When she could stand it no longer, the woman decided to do something. She returned to the very spot her mate had changed, the moon just as it had been that night. She prayed for several hours, begging for someone to hear and help her mate. Someone finally did answered, and to the woman's amazement, it was the same little girl as before. She begged the young girl to change her mate back, trying to explain once more why her mate acted as he did. Sadly for the woman, the young girl said she could not change him back. He had slain one of her 'children', and to atone would remain as a wolf for the rest of his life. Desperate, the woman looked to her mate, then asked if she could also be changed into a wolf as well. The young girl asked the woman why she would want such a thing, as she would never be able to walk, speak, or think as a human again once this was done. The woman explained that she felt partially to blame, as it was the love her mate had that drove him to defend her, and kill the wolf. She also said she would rather lose her humanity, than be away from her mate forever. The young girl smiled to the woman, giving her a brief hug before granting her request, finally allowing the pair to be together once more.

For many moons after that, the two wolves lived and hunted together. Though they had lost much to be together, they were both content to be with one other once more. Several months later, the female wolf came to be with child, soon after having their first litter of pups. They raised them as best they could, teaching them how to hunt, and carefully maneuver through their woodland home. One day, being the inquisitive, curious pups they were, they wandered off on their own, until they came upon a small village of humans. Near the outskirts, a group of small children were playing together. The pups watched intently, slowly approaching the small group.

...and as they did, they slowly took on the same bodies as the humans they saw.

Werewolf Info
The descendants of the first werewolves, children of the man and woman given wolven form by Fluffigami, are her creation. Because of the powerful magic involved, this trait is always present in the descendants in some form. How present varies from person to person.

Some are so intune they can actually become wolves, and only become partially human in appearance. These individuals tend to favor staying in wolven form, following their instincts and staying in the wild. However, they do have the capacity to understand and communicate with humans, though they tend not to unless necessary.

The most common werewolves of this type appear human normally. When fully changed, they bear a stronge resemblance to Garoujin, or a very large wolf.

The weakest presence of this trait causes the person to appear human normally as well. When changed, they will only take on a few wolf-like features, such as patches of fur, ears, fangs, and claws.

Each individual is different, and may fall under one of these types, or somewhere in between. No one is really sure what determines how in tune these werewolves become. Some say it is due to the parent's magical ties to the astral plane, while other claim the phases of the moon holds influence, and yet others believe it is due to favor from Fluffigami herself.

Though their appearance and shapeshifting ability may differ, all share the same base instincts of both humans and wolves. Even in human form, these werewolves retain much of their heightened senses, such as smell and hearing. Their human side will allow them to somewhat keep their instincts in check. however, when their emotions are peaked they can lose almost all self control, giving in to their animal-like tendencies.

The Moon
The moon holds special sway over these werewolves, as it was on moonlit night that the first were 'created' by Fluffigami. On nights where the moon is full, a werewolf looses almost all their human will and though, reverting to their wolven instincts. They will take on the closest form they have to appearing like a full wolf, usually seeking out wooded areas to roam and hunt for the night. While not necessarily completely vicious on these nights, one should use caution, as they will likely not be able to understand people normally.

The 'Curse'
It is not certain whether this was intended by Fluffigami, but once these werewolves reach early adulthood, as each full moon passes they begin to feel their self control slip. After several months or years, if not dealt with, it can reach the point where their human will can no longer keep their wolven will in check. They essentially become like wild wolves, unable to think or feel like humans. Training can reduce the effects of this to a degree, but usually only delays the inevitable.

There is a way to counteract this. The werewolf must visit a temple of Fluffigami, and make the appropriate prayer/offering to the Goddess. What this is exactly is not certain, the ceremony varying from region to region with these werewolves. Some feral-like werewolf clans have forgotten the ceremony exists completely, leaving them very wild in nature.

Additional Notes
I would like to HEAVILY HEAVILY remind everyone, that both the story and method for preventing the 'curse' have been passed down over literally hundred and thousands of years. Like any such story, it has been reinterpreted, retold, and changed several times, and may not truly reflect what Fluffigami really meant or did.

...or to put it bluntly, some of it is incorrect. =P

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

I've edited the whole thing as of (11/21/03)
Originally, I said that Ishtar made one wolf, and Stacey another. After thinking it over, however, I thought it would be much less complicated to only involve Stacey. Otherwise, not much is different.

If any of it seems Out Of Characer for Stacey, that's because the legend, while in the spirit of what happened, isn't accurate. All that is really accurate is that Stacey made the man and woman wolves, and that she is involved in helping with the 'curse'. Whether or not she intended werewolves is open for debate =D

If you have any comments on the current version of this, feel free to post your thoughts/opinions. Keep in mind that this is not the only werewolf race in Gaera, merely the kind my own characters are ^_^;

And if anyone wants/needs the old story to compare, just let me know.

Edited by: FF Fanatic 80  Image at: 11/21/03 1:36 am

Uncle Pervy

Re: Backstory for (some) Werewolves. *opinions welcome*

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Mon Jul 07, 2003 3:38 pm

I applaud this backstory for having a happy ending, rather than the OMG ANGST!!!! that most werewolf origins/tales have.

I'd suggest speaking with Div, for I am fairly certain her has a werewolf character as well. That way you both know what's going on.

Overall, Pervy = Likes.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon Jul 07, 2003 10:58 pm

I'm pretty sure that somewhere we once said humankind was the only race to not be created by gods, but rather came to be on their own (through evolution or whatnot). I don't remember why or if this was necessary anymore, but nonetheless it might be a good idea to take out the notes at the beginning and middle which refer to Ishtar creating the humans.

I'd also have a talk with Mike about Stacey's "goddesshood" here. That might need to be reworded.

As for the uncertain ceremony to Stacey, I think any worship, homage, or recognition would be sufficient. Stacey's not too particular so long as she and her fluffy creations are receiving attention.

I'm with Pervy though, overall, I likes. <p>
<span style="font-size:xx-small;">-=- "Zoooooom...Zoooooom...CRASH! Enthusiasm counts. Never be afraid to try."
-=- "All cookies are good, dum-dum." -- Binky
-=- "Kazootles!"

{Hogwarts RP} -- {RP Boot Camp}
{Rydia's Pocket Dragon Encyclopedia} -- {StarDragon Oekaki}</span></p>Edited by: pd Rydia&nbsp; Image at: 7/7/03 10:58 pm

Divinegon2130

Unread postby Divinegon2130 » Mon Jul 07, 2003 11:02 pm

That is true, Pervy. I DO have a werewolf character.

However, most of this fits for what I had in mind. In fact, I'm willing to look at this and see it as the norm (if that's fine with everyone else), and see the werewolf character I RP (and certain others directly related) as a slight variant.

Though yes, I wish to speak with Dave regarding such, preferably over AIM. Most of this is perfectly fine with me, however - just a little 'curse'-related stuff is all I want to discuss. <p>

Image <span style="font-size:medium;"> Current Quotes: </span> <span style="font-size:xx-small;">

"Are you kidding? Good thick mane, strong shanks, white teeth, you'll be beating them off with sticks." - Dalis (WhiteWereFox)
"Video games won't breed in captivity." - KnightsofSquare
"OK, how do shadows echo, Kelne?" - Idran (Idran1701)

View my online journal here. </span></p>

FF Fanatic 80
Driver of the OOC Bus

*Bumpage*

Unread postby FF Fanatic 80 » Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:35 am

Like the Baron post, I'm going to be trying to tweek this for the weekend. And save from oblivion. ^_^;

Return to OOC RP Discussion