Ask Shaun!

RP-related discussion otherwise not covered in the Character Closet.
Nekogami

Ask Shaun!

Unread postby Nekogami » Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:33 pm

This was really fun. I just randomly started this with Shaun and thought I'd share.

Dear Shaun,
I want to be in more philsys RPs but I'm afraid that I'm too low level. What do you think?

Sincerely,
Level 1 -4- Evr

Dear Level 1 -4- Evr,
The best way to cure your fear of being too low level is to RP. Seriously, most GMs still are currently making adventures geared for Lv 1-4 or so. There ARE people with higher levels, but... I suppose you could say that some of them aren't getting much out of it anyway. >:P The best thing I can say is to ask the GM if they're looking for a level range.

Honestly, I've seen more people get kicked out of RPs for being too HIGH in level...

BURNING JUSTICE FIGHT,
Shaun.

Dear Shaun,
I really want to GM some ideas but I seem to have so many, I can't settle for one! I'm a little afraid of using a system because I don't want to screw over my RPers. What should I do to become a great GM.

Sincerely,
Will GM for Food

Dear Will GM for Food,

Well, part of GMing IS settling on the idea that you want to use. You really should stick with one or two ideas that you like best at the moment, and save the ones that you don't use for a later date.

As for using a system... if you're not comfortable with the system, then by all means DON'T. Remember that the important thing is to just HAVE FUN. If you follow that one golden rule, everything else will follow.

And feed yourself, dammit. No one goes for the "Starving in Seattle" look. >:{

Eating Hamburger Mac,
Shaun

Dear Shaun,
I love battles! Big or small they're really cool but I don't want to overload my RPs with them. Do you have any suggestions on what I can do?

Truthfully,
Swords and Daggers

Dear Swords and Daggers,
Battles can be cool, but you always want to pay attention to what your players seem to be looking for. If they're looking for drama, maybe you want to make the battles somehow lead into, say, a dramatic search for the cure to an illness. Or perhaps they want intrigue in their RP, so you cut down on the battles and pull out the shady merchant princes.What I'm TRYING to say here is that you have to always adjust your RP based on what the players seem to want to do. If they're just not into battles that day... then you're going to have to look for ways to avoid it. If they don't want to do ANYTHING.... perhaps its time to pull out the cattle prod and set it on "OMG OW".

I Got My SwordChucks Yo,
Shaun

Dear Shaun,
I like to use a lot of puzzles and mentally challenging thing in my RPs. I don't think they are too hard, a lot of them are just common sense, but my RPers don't seem to get it sometimes. I don't want to make things to easy but sometimes I feel like I'm leading around like sheep. Please help me!

Sincerely,
Little Bo Peep

Dear Little Bo Peep,

You need to adjust your puzzles to cater to your sheep, really. That's a HARD proposition, but in general it tends to come down to one basic rule. Make puzzles with three solutions. The Easy way. The Hard way..... and the Way you Never Thought of. Don't be afraid to pull your RPers along when or if they get stuck working on a puzzle, and don't be too afraid to take any answer you didn't come up with beforehand. Sometimes RPers can be surprising and resourceful devils, they can. Yesss...

My Preeeecious Preeeecious,
Shaun

Dear Shaun,
I don't feel my RPs are really unique. Sometimes I hear about others RPs or read about campaigns on sites, and they sound really good. It makes me nervous when I RP. What should I do?

Paranoid?
DND ADD

Dear DND ADD,
Ever heard the saying "The greatest journeys all begin with a single step"? Well, you know it's really quite true. The only way to get that good is to START GMing or RPing. Pretty soon I'll be scared of YOUR grand exploits.

Searching for the One GM,
Shaun
<p>

<div style="text-align:center">
Nekogami Character Pantheon--Deviant Art Gallery--LiveJournal</div>
<span style="font-size:xx-small;">Words to live by:
OMG PRIAM: ninja sex would be neither felt nor seen by either partner
OMG PRIAM: each would just suddenly need a smoke
Choark: Good luck there. You'll have to shit out darkness and send people into oblivion.</span></p>

Return to OOC RP Discussion