Children of the Mind, Chapter one: The Detectives.

RP-related discussion otherwise not covered in the Character Closet.
The Great Nevareh

Children of the Mind, Chapter one: The Detectives.

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:53 pm

Note: The following statement is almost incomprehensible unless you're familiar with the worldsetting to Mage: The Ascension!

It was all over the news.

Priest Shot Dead in Suburbia!
The Washington Post said it was a gangland shooting gone wrong, even though the gang activity in that area was nonexistent.
The Washington Times featured an editorial about it, berating the police force for letting such a thing happen, even though there was most likely nothing that the police could have done, even had they known about it in advance.
The Weekly World News featured it as part of their proof that Satan-Worshipers from Mars have come to Earth to kill off the world's religious figures, despite the fact that the priest in question, Father Simeon Fuse, was a relatively insignificant member of the diocese of Maryland, and that the Satan-Worshipers of Mars don't enjoy physical conflict and prefer theological discussion to disarm their foes (though other Martians find Catholicism offensive, the followers of Satan think that a non-violent approach is best).

All the articles written about it mentioned that there was a man who was driving through a small strip of suburbia in College Park, Maryland, when he somehow ended up outside of his car and filled with seven different kinds of ammunition. There were an additional thirty-three kinds of ammunition found in the surrounding area, but luckily no one (aside from the priest) was hurt. People disagree as to when it happened, how it happened, though they all are pretty sure of where it happened. The priest ended up about twenty feet from his car.

Father Simeon Fuse was a teacher at Catholic University, where he taught Mathematics and Engineering. He had been returning from a symposium at the University of Maryland's College Park campus and at somewhere around twelve at night he was slain.

Who did it, how they did it, and why they did it is a mystery to all of the world. Even if you knew about Father Fuse's secret life.

Some people knew him as "Burnt Fuse," a Knight Templar who had been serving the Celestial Chorus with his unique form of Technomancy since the mid-eighties, and later settled down for a more mundane life. As one of the few who worked with the second Doctor Quacer, he helped bridge the gap between the Technocracy and the Traditions, thus ending the centuries of quiet warfare between the Conventions and the Traditions. At that point, everyone thought it was over.

And, for the most part, it was. Mages no longer needed to worry all that much about being chased down by men in black suits with rocket launcher arms and laser eyes. They still had a lot to worry about, like the vampires and the apocalypse and demons coming around and stealing people's souls and the Avatar Storm and the Gauntlet and Marauders and Nephandi any number of other things, but they didn't need to worry about a highly organized, methodical group of what for all intents and purposes are highly powerful and highly accepted mages hunting them down and smearing them along the ground.

Simeon Fuse had retired from the hectic life of his younger days and became a teacher that furthered the beliefs of an institution that he once fought with all of his heart and all of his soul. He lived a good life.

And then this happened.

So fingers pointed, and names were named, and no one got anywhere. Old wounds might be dressed and might be treated, but they still leave nasty scars. And these scars can still open.

So the third Dr. Quacer has sent a few well-placed E-mails to a few young Tradition mages that are just far enough under the radar that they might find the truth...

There we go, my pitch for Children of the Mind. It's part chat and part board, and I re-made it so that it's not "the only stuff that characters will be doing is fighting." Does anyone with any experience with Mage (or not, though some knowledge of the system is quite helpful since more than half of what was just said is gibberish without it) have interest in a game? <p>[---------------------------]
"There is great disorder under Heaven, and the situation is excellent."
-Mao Tse-Tung

"I eat the talking bees because I am George Washington Christ"
-From "Bob the Ball"</p>Edited by: The Great Nevareh at: 1/7/05 22:34

Molokidan
Yomigaeta Sushijin

Re: Children of the Mind, Chapter one: The Detectives.

Unread postby Molokidan » Fri Dec 24, 2004 12:07 am

Well, I said I'm interested, but can I join even though I don't know the Mage system? <p>---------------

"Well slap a dead fish on me and call me Molokidan!"</p>

The Great Nevareh

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Fri Dec 24, 2004 12:14 am

You *can* join, I guess, but you still need to know the system. Then again, I plan on there being multiple chapters, and at each one I'll offer the chance for oldbies to leave and newbies to join. <p>[---------------------------]
-Mao Tse-Tung

-From "Bob the Ball"</p>

Molokidan
Yomigaeta Sushijin

Unread postby Molokidan » Fri Dec 24, 2004 12:16 am

Well then, I'll join! Just tell me what I need to do. <p>---------------

The Great Nevareh

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Fri Dec 24, 2004 12:32 am

Find a copy of Mage: The Ascension and read it. Even the narratives, which though mostly superfluous are well-written and are worth reading for their own sake. <p>[---------------------------]
-Mao Tse-Tung

-From "Bob the Ball"</p>

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Fri Dec 24, 2004 6:17 am

Cripes, I wish I had seen this earlier, so I could have gotten my brother's copy of Mage from him. You know, before he went on his honeymoon. :( <p>
<hr width="70%"><center>This month's "Transformer of the Month" is Grimlock in a Santa hat! He's quite jolly.</center></p>

The Great Nevareh

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:16 pm

This means I have FD and Molo, as well as MechanistoX if he's still interested. We'll start once everyone's situated with a character and the like. <p>[---------------------------]
-Mao Tse-Tung

-From "Bob the Ball"</p>

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:38 pm

While interested, I have no access to a mage sourcebook. <p>KnightsofSquare: DarkLordKelne is a tomboy bunnygirl, jealous of the business successes of her 37 older brothers, she is pursuing her own business degree in hopes of someday initiating a hostile takeover against her brothers' corporations.</p>

The Great Nevareh

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Tue Dec 28, 2004 3:54 pm

That makes three people who don't have access to a mage sourcebook. Do you think you could find access between now and mid-January? <p>[---------------------------]
-Mao Tse-Tung

-From "Bob the Ball"</p>

The Great Nevareh

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:30 pm

Mmmkay, I'm posting character creation criteria. This is gibberish for those who don't already know almost exactly what to do.

Core rules only...
Basic Mage Creation Guidelines- Basic character, 15 freebie points, Traditions+Orphans only, PLUS....

1 extra Attribute point- put it wherever you like provided it doesn't raise an Attribute above 5 and you don't have the Legendary Attribute merit.

2 bonus Spheres- once again wherever you like unless it would boost a Sphere rating higher than your Arete.

1 free dot of Mentor denoting Dr. Quacer. If you select to have more dots in Mentor, you must purchase the ones after the first level and the mentor is NOT Dr. Quacer.

As a part of the story, your characters will soon recieve access to a rank 2 node and a small chantry for free. Take this into account, please. Also, characters who reappear over the game's chapters might end up recieving salaries from their various exploits.

Character Limits:
Basically, your mage supposed to be young and under the radar. Keep it that way, please. If you can keep it that way while believably going beyond the boundaries set forth, tell me about it and I'll have a reasonable chance of approving it.
Arete can't be higher than four
Background limits:
Destiny higher than 2
Influence
Resources higher than 2
Wonder higher than 3
You need a damn good explanation for not only being under the radar but somehow having any other background higher than 3.

No more than 3 rotes, please. Not really a requirement, just a suggestion since having rotes for every possible effect is ridiculous, even if you're the "Arch-Magus of All Things, Ever" who has recently returned to Earth after an exile in the Spirit World.
Limited Merits/Flaws
Degeneration: I'd like my characters to have staying power, please thank you very much.
Permanent Wound: I never liked this flaw as something you start out with.
Aging: If you're "Young," yet not highly visible, this just doesn't fit.
Mayfly Curse: I'd like my characters to have staying power, please thank you very much.
Sleepwalker: You don't believe in magic and yet you're supposed to solve a mage's murder?
Fae Blood: Not applicable.
Shapechanger Kin: Not applicable.
You can't have Ghoul and Unbondable at the same time.
Dark Fate: Nuh-uh. I dislike being TOLD that something awful will happen to a character at the very beginning of the campaign.

Also, please remember when picking flaws that they're supposed to hurt... and if you pick them, I will make them hurt. I'm not a believer in free points. If you have a Geas that says you must never break bread with a red-haired man, your party will be invited to a LOT of dinner parties with people who have naturally red hair. If you're Witch-Hunted, your character will have strangely perceptive hunters on their tail ALL OF THE TIME. Flaws are called "flaws" because they aren't beneficial, contrary to popular belief.

If more occur to me, I'll edit this post. <p>[---------------------------]
-Mao Tse-Tung

-From "Bob the Ball"</p>Edited by: The Great Nevareh at: 1/8/05 2:55

NebulaQueen

Unread postby NebulaQueen » Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:07 am

This sounds intruiging, and I should be able to get ahold of a copy (or enough sources to make a character sheet) by next week. <p>

*Megaman sounds like a little girl*-Uncle Pervy, on the Voice Acting in MM8

"Well, we've made it to Leeds without being robbed or violated. We win at time traveling!" - Shelley, Scary-Go-Round</p>

Nakibe
Lady Malix wills your demise!

Unread postby Nakibe » Sat Jan 08, 2005 2:14 am

I am suddenly and inexplicably intrigued, Nev. I still hate you, though, but I find the idea of creating a character for this to be mildly interesting.

There is a high chance that any character I make would be Euthanatoi, but that's about all I can think of without cracking open the book that's easily within reach but I'm too lazy. >:{{{

Gotta love crazy run-on sentences. <p>
*lurks*

Warning: The previous was a work of Chaos. Anything said above was written by a certified nut. Caution is advised

MY head, Dia!!! eVe</p>

Molokidan
Yomigaeta Sushijin

Unread postby Molokidan » Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:21 am

So, uh.....are you going to explain how to do it to us less-Mage-worthy ones? <p>---------------

The Great Nevareh

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:51 am

"How" is easy if you have the book, but since you don't really have the frame of reference the best you can do is to make a concept. The only way around it is for you and I to sit down for a couple of hours while I give you all of the options and all of the statistics. Then, when the game begins to happen, we'd run into a brand new problem of your not knowing how to do anything since all of those descriptions are in the book as well and that would be a hurdle that I'm not sure you'd be able to cross. Mage is fun, but it's also REALLY detailed. <p>[---------------------------]
-Mao Tse-Tung

-From "Bob the Ball"</p>

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:18 am

Like I said, working on getting a book. <p>
<hr width="70%"><center>This month's "Transformer of the Month" is Grimlock in a Santa hat! He's quite jolly.</center></p>

Zemyla

Unread postby Zemyla » Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:38 pm

I already have a Mage character that I could adapt to this campaign. So nyah! <p>-----
Do not taunt Happy Fun Zemyla.

<span style="font-size:xx-small;">I think boobs are the lesser of two evils. - Inverse (Pervy)
Dammit, Dan, I'm not dating a damn NPC! - OOC Will (Will Baseton)
Of course! Anything worth doing is worth doing completely wrong! - Travis English
Ultimately, wizards and clerics don't say, "Gee, I want to become a lich because weapons hurt less and I don't have to worry about being backstabbed; that whole 'eternal life' thing is just a fringe benefit."-Darklion
But this one time I killed a walrus with my bare hands, and I suddenly understood spherical coordinates. - KnightsofSquare</span>

Brotherhood of Elitist Bastards</p>

The Great Nevareh

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:25 pm

I'd prefer it if you made another one, but I guess adaptation is fine. <p>[---------------------------]
-Mao Tse-Tung

-From "Bob the Ball"</p>

Nakibe

Unread postby Nakibe » Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:11 am

Name : Edward Somner
Nature : Trickster
Demeanor : Visionary
Essence : Primordial
Tradition : Cult of Ecstasy

Howard Somner wanted the best for his son. Right from the time when his late wife concieved the child, Howard had every intention to build a business that would leave a legacy for his son. As for his son, he only wanted the best. In his son, he saw a great potential and an aptitude for business. In his son he saw himself, and a way to rectify the mistakes of his misspent youth. And, like many fathers, he threw himself fully into giving this child the best that his money could buy. Expensive clothes, private schooling, the best teachers and tutors, the works. But all of his expectations did not manage to take into account one thing : His son's desires.

Edward (Eddie to many of his friends) wasn't interested in computers at all, although his father forced much learning onto him. No software design or management positions for him. He much rather would feel the pull, the fascination, and the raw emotion of music. At first it was just a small thing, something his Father was convinced would make him well rounded, somehow more knowledgable than the other children. But it was much more than that for Eddie. Every time he heard a particularly beautiful song, or even a well-played note, he felt a twinge of emotion... of feeling that there was something more. And more there was.

At first it was a little thing. People seemed to think that his music was just a little bit BETTER than those around him when he played, even though he was less skilled than some. They would compliment him on a note here or a chord there that he KNEW was slightly off... and yet... Over time he realized that he could alter people's moods just slightly with a well-chosen song. It was something that he did at first for fun, furtively. A game just to see that small smile on a person's face, or that slight scowl... and of course there were a couple of times involving those lovely ladies...

In a way, playing with his powers was how he ended up getting into the Cult of Ecstacy... unfortunately it involved a bar fight and using them on a guy who wasn't exactly in the mood to calm down at the time. With them he began to learn much more than he ever thought possible. With those crazy, amazing people he learned the allures of drugs (which he only BARELY managed to refuse), as well as a sense of how to better USE his powers... and when to use them at all. That year, much to the distaste of his father, he changed his major from Computing Technology to Music, a move which his father nearly disowned him over.

At this point, he and his father are.... cold at best. In fact, since he dropped out of college a couple of years ago and began trying to make a name for himself, Edward hasn't really talked to his father, or even found out what he's been doing. Who knows what heights (or depths) his father has taken his company to at this point? It doesn't really matter to Edward in any case... not as long as he has his music... and can keep a steady job working nightclubs.

================================================================

Physical Attributes

Strength : 2
Dexterity : 3
Stamina : 2

Social Attributes

Charisma : 4
Manipulation : 2
Appearance : 3

Mental Attributes

Perception : 3
Intelligence : 4
Wits : 3

Talents

Athletics : 1
Brawl : 1
Dodge : 1
Expression : 2
Leadership : 2
Streetwise : 1
Subterfuge : 1

Skills

Drive : 1
Etiquette : 2
Performance : 3

Knowledges

Academics : 2
Computer : 3
Enigmas : 3
Law : 1
Medicine : 1
Occult : 1
Science : 2

Spheres and Foci

Forces : 2 (Beats, preferably Drumbeats)
Mind : 3 (Music, played by saxaphone)
Prime : 1 (Heirloom Pendant, see Wonder)
Time : 1 (Beats, preferably drumbeats)

Backgrounds

Arcane : 2
Contacts : 1
* Howard Somner, assumed to still be in the business. Contacting Edward's father should probably require a roll, as Edward has old information on his father that may or may not still be valid. By now, his father may have moved on to other, more satisfying ventures.
Mentor : 2
Resources : 1
Wonder : 1
* A pendant with an odd clear gem in the center. Even after displaying the gem to various jewelers over the years, Edward has not been able to identify exactly what it is. Some theorize it to be an "iamond", or laboratory-created diamond lookalike. Edward isn't quite sure what exactly it does, but it seems to give off a small bit of heat when in the presence of sources of Quintesssence.

Arete : 3
Willpower : 5
Quintessence : 2 (From Avatar rating)

Health Levels : 7

Purchased with Freebie points
* +1 Appearance (5 points)
* +2 Arete (8 points)
* +1 Performance (2 points)

Edit 1: Added Freebie point stuff.

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=nakibe>Nakibe</A] at: 1/19/05 23:05

Zemyla

Unread postby Zemyla » Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:25 am

In an astounding coincidence, Eidolon X has started a Mage topic on the Adv! board. This is of consequence only in that he has posted some nifty links.

http://www.white-wolf.com/mage.html - The official site, with some PDFs.

http://members.tripod.com/~mage_resource/creation.htm - A good character creation resource.

http://hem.bredband.net/arenamontanus/mage.html - Advanced resources.

And my character will be ready tomorrow.

EDIT: Nev, get online so I can talk to you. <p>-----

<span style="font-size:xx-small;">I think boobs are the lesser of two evils. - Inverse (Pervy)
Of course! Anything worth doing is worth doing completely wrong! - Travis English
Ultimately, wizards and clerics don't say, "Gee, I want to become a lich because weapons hurt less and I don't have to worry about being backstabbed; that whole 'eternal life' thing is just a fringe benefit."-Darklion
But this one time I killed a walrus with my bare hands, and I suddenly understood spherical coordinates. - KnightsofSquare</span>

Brotherhood of Elitist Bastards</p>Edited by: Zemyla&nbsp; Image at: 1/18/05 18:26

The Great Nevareh

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:50 pm

Yo. Sorry I've been away- My computer broke.

Shaun, you have two more Spheres for your use, should you elect to use them.

You don't have your resonances down- If you don't want to put them up, fine- I'll just sort of avoid the part about resonance in the game.

A notation as to where you spent your freebie points would be nice, as it saves me a lot of time. <p>[---------------------------]
-Mao Tse-Tung

-From "Bob the Ball"</p>Edited by: The Great Nevareh at: 1/19/05 22:58

Nakibe

Unread postby Nakibe » Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:20 pm

<span style="font-size:large;">Big Brother expresses dislike for this post. e.e</span> <p>
*lurks*

Warning: The previous was a work of Chaos. Anything said above was written by a certified nut. Caution is advised

MY head, Dia!!! eVe</p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=nakibe>Nakibe</A] at: 1/19/05 23:06

The Great Nevareh

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:54 am

No other takers? <p>[---------------------------]
-Mao Tse-Tung

-From "Bob the Ball"</p>

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:55 am

Like I said, my brother has been drastically hard to reach as of late, and at this juncture I can't afford my own. <p>
<hr width="70%"><center>
This month's "Transformer of the Month" is Grimlock in a Santa hat! He's quite jolly.</center></p>

The Great Nevareh

Cutoff Date: Feb 14

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:47 pm

You all have until St. Valentine's Day, or February 14th, to submit character sheets or character concepts. After that point, openings are closed in Chapter One. If I don't have three people, though, then this is a no-go. <p>[---------------------------]
-Mao Tse-Tung

-From "Bob the Ball"</p>

The Great Nevareh

Re: Cutoff Date: Feb 14

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:46 pm

Two more days. <p>[---------------------------]
-Mao Tse-Tung

-From "Bob the Ball"</p>

The Great Nevareh

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:58 pm

Last day. I guess I'll need to chat with Shaun about this. Koss, Zem, where are the characters you said you were making? <p>[---------------------------]
-Mao Tse-Tung

-From "Bob the Ball"</p>

Zemyla

Unread postby Zemyla » Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:27 pm

Name : Kira Breznev
Nature : Avant-Garde
Demeanor : Bravo
Essence : Dynamic
Tradition : Akashic Brother/Virtual Adept

Kira Breznev is about 5'11" tall, with blond hair and blue eyes. She favors dark-colored clothing.

Kira is a third-generation Russian-American (thugh she doesn't call herself that), who was raised by her father because her mother died in childbirth. Her childhood was otherwise unremarkable.

She was 16 when she first saw the Matrix. In one moment, she realized that this was a valid model for reality. Unlike the people in the movie, she figured that what humanity needed was not to escape the Matrix, but learn how to use it.

She continued her normal life, but she started experimenting with trying to reshape the Matrix (as she viewed it) to her will. However, one day she was attacked by a Technocracy agent, and saved only by the intervention of a mixed-Tradition group. That was when she found out about the Ascension Wars, and the Traditions found out about her. The Virtual Adepts and Akashic Brothers both tried to claim her, but she saw no reason (other than custom) why she couldn't be both.

She still tries to keep up a normal life, enrolling in a local college and all that, but she still sees it to be her duty to (discreetly) enlighten the masses about the true nature of reality.

Physical Attributes

Strength : 2
Dexterity : 4
Stamina : 4

Social Attributes

Charisma : 2
Manipulation : 2
Appearance : 3

Mental Attributes

Perception : 3
Intelligence : 3
Wits : 3

Talents

Alertness: 1
Athletics : 3
Awareness: 2
Brawl : 3
Dodge : 3
Intuition: 2

Skills

Drive : 1
Firearms: 3
Meditation: 1

Knowledges

Computer: 3
Lore: 2
Occult: 2
Science: 2

Spheres

Correspondence: 3
Mind: 1
Time: 3

Backgrounds

Resources: 3
Dream: 3

Arete : 3
Willpower : 6
Quintessence : 2 (From Avatar rating)

Health Levels : 7

Merits:
Dual Tradition (7 pts)

Flaws:
Over-Confident (1 pt)
Bad Eyesight (2 pts)

Purchased with Freebie points
* +2 Arete (8 points)
* Merits - Flaws (4 points)
* +1 Awareness (2 points)
* +1 Willpower (1 point) <p>-----

Brotherhood of Elitist Bastards</p>

The Great Nevareh

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:18 pm

"Over Confident" isn't a flaw in the core book. I'd be willing to allow it, provided you can tell me what it does. <p>[---------------------------]
-Mao Tse-Tung

-From "Bob the Ball"</p>

Animala
HATED BY SKELETONS

Unread postby Animala » Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:00 am

I'll be posting a bit of a backstory tomorrow.

Name: Christopher Carver
Essence: Questing
Nature: Perfectionist
Demeanor: Pedagogue
Tradition: Euthanatos
Concept: Ivory Tower Intellectual

Attributes

Strength 2
Dexterity 3
Stamina 3

Charisma 2
Manipulation 3
Appearance 2

Perception 3
Intelligence 4
Wits 3

Talents

Awareness 2
Dodge 1
Subterfuge 2

Skills

Drive 1
Etiquette (Shadowlands) 3
Firearms 2
Meditation 3

Knowledges
Academics 3
Computer 2
Cosmology 3
Enigmas 2
Occult 2
Science 1

Spheres

Entropy 3
Spirit 3
Prime 1

Backgrounds
Contacts 1 (relatively uninfluential Celestial Chorister)
Resources 1
Arcane 2

Other stuff

Arete 3
Willpower 7
Resonance: Entropic 1

Merits
Medium
Manifest Avatar <p>
In the beginning was the word...</p>

The Great Nevareh

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:01 pm

Hoolay! Posting the beginning part on the board. <p>[---------------------------]
-Mao Tse-Tung

-From "Bob the Ball"</p>

The Great Nevareh

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:52 am

Mmmkay. That's your intro, now let's discuss some times for our first session if we can. I'll try to snag people over AIM. <p>[---------------------------]
-Mao Tse-Tung

-From "Bob the Ball"</p>

Return to OOC RP Discussion