Counterspelling Magic.

Character sheet archiving. Help with characters can be solicited here. This is also the place to talk Philsys or other RPing systems.
Blackwind Isao

Counterspelling Magic.

Unread postby Blackwind Isao » Wed Dec 24, 2003 12:54 am

As there is no list for this anywhere and I seem to be the only one actually using it I've decided to put up a topic for Counterspelling Magic. I'd appreciate someone getting back to me on some of these ideas as I have no real idea of the power balance and am merely throwing out genneral ideas.

- White Charisma.

The following spells have been ganked off my own character sheet and are apparently kosher with Jak as he's the one who gave the thumbs up.

(Counterspelling=1, Acane Lore=4, Time=4) Delay Arcane Might (8MP): Temporarily disrupt the flow of arcane energy in an opponent's spell as it is being cast. This delays the effect of the spell by one round.

(Counterspelling=4, Arcane Lore=4) Dismiss (One half of the affected spells MP): Attempt to dissapate the aracne energy of a spell as it is being cast, compleately negating it. This spell causes a Mag+Wis+Int+rank (of spell being cast) + 1d20 contest versus a Mag+Wis+Int+4+1d20. Should the dismissal roll tie or beat the effected spell roll the spell fizzles with no effect, otherwise it takes effect normally.

(Counterspelling=4, Arcane Lore: 4) Dispel Magic (10MP): Attempt to smother the magical energy of one permanent or semi-permanent magical effect. This forces a roll of Mag+Int+Wis (of the spell's caster at the time of casting) +rank (of the spell to be affected) +1d20 versus Mag+Int+Wis+4+1d20. Should the dispel check tie or exceed the check of the target effect that effect is dispelled.

Other Counterspelling Ideas:

Reflect Arcane Energy (Counterspelling=5, Arcane Lore=5) (30MP): Reflects all magical spells (harmful, beneficial or otherwise) directed against one target back to their originating source. Note: This does not protect against being in an area of effect, however should the target of a Reflect Arcane Engergy spell be the direct target of an area of effect spell that spell is reflected back at the originator (ie. the original caster becomes the center of the area of effect). This spell lasts for 1/2 rank (counterspelling) rounds before wearing off.

Absorb Arcane Might (Counterspelling=10, Arcane Lore=10) (5MP, 10TP): Attempt to absorb the arcane enegy of one incomming spell. This forces a check of spell damage+1d20 versus Sta+Mag+Wis+10+1d20. Should the absorb roll tie or exceed the damage roll the spell is absorbed and the caster gains Mp equal to the cost of the spell absorbed.

Antimagic Field (Counterspelling=?, Arcane Lore=?) (?MP): Disrupts the flow of arcane energy in an area (100 square feet) for rank rounds. For the durration of this spell all spells cast inside or passing through the effected area fizzle with no effect. (I suspect this to be a high level sort of thing, with a dreadful MP cost even if it is based on Concecrate and Desecrate.)

I'm out of other ideas for the moment. Feel free to chip in on this if you'd like.

- Blackwind.

Blackwind Isao

Re: Counterspelling Magic.

Unread postby Blackwind Isao » Thu Dec 25, 2003 2:22 am

Reflect Arcane Energy and Absorb Arcane Might have been accepted by Arch Mage.

- Blackwind.

Edited by: Blackwind Isao at: 12/25/03 4:38 am

Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!

Unread postby Spleen » Fri Dec 26, 2003 5:42 pm

Necessarily, the reactive spells (Dismiss, Absorb, Reflect) would all have to be either cast before the enemy begins casting or very quickly during the enemy's turn, right? And is it possible to use such a spell before your first turn in a battle? <p>"Especially when you put them up to your eyes and said, 'Look at me, I have chocobo testicles for eyes!'"
-Nezetta (Shinigori)</p>

White Charisma

Unread postby White Charisma » Fri Dec 26, 2003 9:29 pm

Jak has suggested the following to apply to all reactive counterspells (Delay, Dismiss and Absorb so far): A mage can either hold his action in a round for the express purpose of countering a spell or simply choose to counter a spell when it is cast. In either case an action is lost. In the case of the mage holding action to counterspell the held action is lost. In the case of a mage just throwing out a counterspell they lose their next action.

For the sake of game balance I would also tack something saying that a mage cannot owe more actions (ie. counter more spells) then they have actions in the following round.

In addition Jak has approved of techs that allow for the use of counterspelling as a 'free' action (ie. requires no action for the mage to counter). For an example I present (once again ganked from Jessie's character sheet):

Opportunity Counterspell (Counterspelling=4, Time=4, Arcane Lore=4) (3TP): Once per combat round Jessie may attempt to counter any spell as it is being cast as a free action.

Addressing your second question: There are only two spells (so far) that could be cast before a battle begins: reflect and anti-magic field. As anti-magic field is not defined (though the concept is based off of consecrate and desecrate, so I would assume simalarities, even if the requirements for casting should be much higher and duration much shorter) reflect is the only spell castable before combat. The duration here is really too short for it to be used as much more than a combat preparation spell.

As far as the concept of casting a reactive counter before the character's actual first action of the combat it IS possible. With the use of either a tech or by sacrificing their upcomming action in the round a mage could attempt a counterspell.

Hope that helped out.

- Blackwind. <p>'The internet has no wang!' - Chaos Ironskull.</p>

Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!

Unread postby Spleen » Sat Dec 27, 2003 12:20 am

I see...

If I ever make a character that can do this, I'll be sure to hae this info on hand. <p>"Especially when you put them up to your eyes and said, 'Look at me, I have chocobo testicles for eyes!'"
-Nezetta (Shinigori)</p>

Return to Character Closet