New PS Character, Critique Wanted:

Character sheet archiving. Help with characters can be solicited here. This is also the place to talk Philsys or other RPing systems.
Lance Kaessen

New PS Character, Critique Wanted:

Unread postby Lance Kaessen » Sun Oct 05, 2003 9:11 pm

After having only been here a short while, I've decided to go ahead and draw up a character sheet for Lance, with the help of a few of the other more established player. Comments and critique would be appreciated. Please excuse the spacing and formatting, but I just don't have the free time to make it perfect. Also, please note that this is only the statistical side of the character sheet.

Name:&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Lance Kaessen
RPer:&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Sin DeFeisar
Hair:&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp blue
Eyes:&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp blue
Height:&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 5'10"

Courage&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 4
Wisdom&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 5
Intuition&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 5
Charisma&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 1
Agility&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 2
Dexterity&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 1
Strength&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp -2
Stamina&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp -1
Magic Apt&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 6

HP:&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 050
MP:&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 110
TP:&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 020
INIT:&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 6+2D6 (8-18)
Base AT/PA:&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 9

AT/PA adjusted for weapon, armor:&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 7/11

==EQUIPMENT==

Weapon:
Psycho Wand - a long metal staff with an ornate crystal head. Ordinarily, not meant to be used as an implement of physical punishment. Can be used to dispel many magical
enchantments.
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp No STR Req.&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 2/4/7 Damage&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp -2/+2 AT/PA Modifier. Can dispel enchantments (20 MP) as if user were using his base MATK.

Armor:
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Frade Mantle - a white robe of incredible durability which was passed down from the previous incarnation of Lutz.
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp AC: 2 x LVL&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 0/0 AT/PA Modifier&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp No STR Req.

==SKILLS==

Staves (STR/AGI/COU)&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 2
Fire Magics (INT/WIS/MAG)&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 4
Wind/Lightning Magics (INT/WIS/MAG)&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 4
Water/Ice Magics (INT/WIS/MAG)&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 4
Holy Magics (INT/WIS/MAG)&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 3
Shadow Magics (INT/WIS/MAG)&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 3
Energy Magics (INT/WIS/MAG)&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 3
[K] Applied Magical Theory&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 4
[K] Techniques&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 3
[K] Astronomy&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 2
[K] Herbal Knowledge&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 2
[K] Magical Orders/Societies&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 2
[K] History of Magic&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 2
[S] Spell Resistance&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 3
[S] Combat Casting&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 4
[S] Combo Casting&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 3
[S] Eavesdropping&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 3
[S] Bullshitting&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 3
[S] Sense Motive&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp 3

==TECHNIQUES (MP)==

[Fire=1]Foi (4 MP):&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp
Basic fire technique which causes a condensed sphere of Oxygen to combust in flight at a target. Deals 8+(RANK*2)+1D6 damage to a single opponent

[Air/Lightning=1]Zan (10 MP):
Basic wind technique which creates several minor vortexes to appear randomly around numerous targets. Deals 5+(RANK*2)+1D6 damage to Rank/2 targets within a 4 meter circle.

[Ice/Water=1]Wat (4 MP):
Basic ice technique which creates an endothermic reaction and directs it towards a target. Deals 8+(RANK*2)+1D6 (ICE) to a single opponent.

[Holy=1]Res (7 MP):
Basic holy technique which allows for the healing of minor wounds. Heals 5+(RANK*2)+1D4 points of damage from a single target.

[Shadow=1]Gen (8 MP):
Basic shadow technique which causes rapid decay of a single biological target. Deals 10+(RANK*2)+1D6 damage to an organic target, none on others.

[Energy=3]Tsu (10 MP):
Basic energy technique which focuses a beam of non-elemental energy and propels it towards a target. Deals 12+(RANK*2)+1D6 damage to a single target

[Water=1] Destane (5 MP):
Basic water technique used to remove stains from the Frade Mantle, or any other fabric.

==MAGICS (TP)==

[Fire=4] Flaeli:&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp (25 MP, 5 TP)
Advanced fire spell which creates several explosive fireballs and hurls them towards a target.. Deals 16+(RANK*5)+4D6 fire damage.

[Air/Lightning=4] Hewn (25 MP, 3 TP)&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp
Advanced wind spell which creates a high-powered tunnel of wind to strike at a target. Deals 12+(RANK*3)+3D6 damage to all within a 60-degree cone for (rank) distance.

[Air/Lightning=4]Tandle (25 MP, 5 TP)
Advanced lightning spell which calls down bolts of lightning from the heavens to strike at a target area. Deals15+(RANK*3)+3D6 lightning damage to Rank/2 targets in a 5 meter circle.

[Holy=4]Efess: (30 MP, 7 TP) Advanced holy spell which creates a pillar of light to banish beings of evil. Deals18+(RANK*4)+2d8 holy damage to evil-aligned beings (Demons, undead, and such with similar alignment) within a 3 meter radius, ¼ damage to others within the radius

[Shadow=4] Corrosion: (30 MP, 7 TP) Advanced shadow spell that causes metal to become weak and brittle with corrosion. Deals 11+(RANK*3)+3D6 (SHADOW), -(rank) AC to all within a {rank} long column.

==Backstory==

As an Esper, Lance was gifted with an ability lost to most Humans of the Algol star system - the ability to use True Magics. While most Espers developed a sense of duty to protect those who had not been given the gift, Lance saw it as an excuse to hold himself as superior to those who couldn't use magic. He became cocky, cynical, and all the other qualities which the rest of the Esper community held in disdain. As such, he developed primarily offensive abilities, instead of the protective abilities which the mainstream Espers preferred. Deemed a danger to the rest of the community, Lance was encouraged to practice his skills in the field, rather than in the presence of the other Espers.

So Lance took to wandering, even to the point of leaving the Algol star system using ancient magical warp gates. Unfortunately for him, the warp gates malfunctioned, and cast him to a completely different place than he had expected...

pd Rydia

Re: New PS Character, Critique Wanted:

Unread postby pd Rydia » Sun Oct 05, 2003 10:25 pm

Huzzah! Someone else is using the bullshitting technique. :D That's a classic, there.

Anyway, insofar as I'm able to do PS stuff (which isn't much), it looks good. He's got a mite bit too many techs, but it makes sense given the background.

The background is a little skimpy, but not overly so. With luck, it'll get built up the longer you RP here. I applaud how you decided to draw Lance to Gaera. <p>
<small><center><font color=navy>Take these broken wings
And learn to fly again, learn to live so free
And when we hear the voices sing
The book of love will open up and let us in</font>

{RPGWW -- an RPing community} -- {Rydia's Pocket Dragon Encyclopedia} -- {StarDragon Oekaki}</small></center></p>

JoshuaDurron

Re: New PS Character, Critique Wanted:

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Mon Oct 06, 2003 10:49 am

Fist of all, Phantasy Star stuff = Nifty.

Second, while I have no gripes about most of it, I think he could use a few more non-combat techs. Also, I'm not sure whether you would need a healing magic skill for your Res technique... Ask Archmage.

Third, some of your support skills don't have their base stats listed (not all of them have base stats). I'm not sure, but I think they should run as follows:

[S] Spell Resistance 3
[S] Combat Casting [Wis x 3] 4
[S] Combo Casting 3
[S] Eavesdropping [Int x 3] 3
[S] Bullshitting [Cha/Cha/Int] 3
[S] Sense Motive [Int x 3] 3

Spell Resistance is a double cost skill, I believe, and I don't know what Combo Casting does, so I can't tell you if that's missing base stats or not... <p>

English does not have a word for what you do to do a dead thing to make it stop chasing you. Clearly, you cannot kill that which is dead. But until Mr. Webster comes up with replacement, we are forced to render dead that which is dead. - Just Call Me Fed

The man wants a new pair of pants. What's wrong with that? - Crawling Reshiki</p>

Return to Character Closet