Is Philsys 2.0 still going on?

Character sheet archiving. Help with characters can be solicited here. This is also the place to talk Philsys or other RPing systems.
Nekogami

Is Philsys 2.0 still going on?

Unread postby Nekogami » Thu Jul 24, 2003 12:02 pm

My recent surge in using philsys prompted this question. ^^;;; I'd really like to know. <p>

<div style="text-align:center">
Nekogami Character Pantheon--Deviant Art Gallery--LiveJournal</div>
<span style="font-size:xx-small;">Words to live by:
OMG PRIAM: ninja sex would be neither felt nor seen by either partner
OMG PRIAM: each would just suddenly need a smoke
Choark: Good luck there. You'll have to shit out darkness and send people into oblivion.</span></p>

Squintz Altec
Administrator

Re: Is Philsys 2.0 still going on?

Unread postby Squintz Altec » Thu Jul 24, 2003 12:19 pm

Not that I know of. Or else there would have been a switch a long time ago.

NamagomiMk0

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Fri Jul 25, 2003 10:40 am

Most likely because of our unwillingness to convert...or because Phil made no way of converting original PS characters to 2.0...

...So yeah. We're still using version 1. <p>ChibiUrusai: *chomps* I am underage. ^-^
Arch mage144: This means nothing to me. =P
T3chn0Namagomi: *motherly voice* Brian! What would Kate think if she heard you say that?!

---Dirtiness in a chat. Blame my mind for being in the gutter.

-Namagomi, who lives up to his name in this case.</p>

Zemyla

Unread postby Zemyla » Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:12 pm

What is Philsys 2.0, anyway? <p>-----
Do not taunt Happy Fun Zemyla.

SongstressEnlil: I think boobs are the lesser of two evils.

Adventurers! | RPG World World | The Phantom Lord's OT Board mkII | Indie Madnesse</p>

NamagomiMk0

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Sun Jul 27, 2003 10:04 am

2.0 was a modified version developed by Phil. Of course, with the lack of ability to convert from current-day PS to 2.0, and some complications, 2.0 never really got to see the daylight.

...I still think that we should change how the skills work, though...>.> <p>ChibiUrusai: *chomps* I am underage. ^-^
T3chn0Namagomi: *motherly voice* Brian! What would Kate think if she heard you say that?!

Archmage144

Unread postby Archmage144 » Sun Jul 27, 2003 3:05 pm

You want to tell me how you think they should work, so I can tell you no, unless your idea is really good? <p>
<div style="text-align:center">Image</div>

</p>

NamagomiMk0

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Sun Jul 27, 2003 4:38 pm

It's really simple, Brian. Mainly, in the techs, the skill rank{s} does not apply. The Rank in the equation would be the tech's OWN rank. Simply put, you use skill points to level up techs/spells alongside buying new skills. Techs are still learned by skill rank, but they have their own ranks that one has to spend skill points to improve. Cap of two ranks per tech per level. Techs possibly level like [s]/[k] skills, two ranks to the point. I know this is most likely idiotic, so flame me if you want. That's how I see it, though. <p>ChibiUrusai: *chomps* I am underage. ^-^

Archmage144

Unread postby Archmage144 » Sun Jul 27, 2003 4:43 pm

Yeah, that revamps things completely in addition to not making a hell of a lot of sense on some level. It basically means that instead of Fire 1, Fire 2, Fire 3 or whatever you'd just have "Fire" and level it up by itself.

Personally, though, I see no reason for there not to be global improvements in tech/spell strength if skill proficiency is increased. o_o It makes more sense to me to get better at Fire Magic than to get better at casting Fire 2. <p>

</p>

JoshuaDurron

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Mon Jul 28, 2003 10:56 pm

I, personally, see no reason why a character couldn't do both. Sure, getting better at Fire Magic makes you a better Fire 2 caster, but you could also spend more time casting that spell then other fire spells, and thus make it a stronger spell. My two bits, anyways. o_o <p>

Victory to the strong of will
Death to pretenders</p>

Archmage144

Unread postby Archmage144 » Mon Jul 28, 2003 11:38 pm

Mostly because it means redoing the whole system, thus making "Fire 3" obsolete. The solution to this would be to switch over to only having one "Fire" spell, but the problem with that, in my mind, is that it leads to a limit as far as how many varied spells/techs someone can learn. Personally, I like the wider variety of them myself, and it means the player has to do less stat-point allocation type work. People already have trouble figuring out what skills to get and how many points to put into them. I don't want people confused about how many points to put into "Fire" next! <p>

</p>

NamagomiMk0

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Tue Jul 29, 2003 11:13 am

There's still the wide variety. You just have to think more along the lines of AoE and extras here, rather than mere power.

I can understand the skill point allocation dealie, as well as remaking a lot of the spells. Variety, though, is up to the person. You want variety, you have to make variety. It just doesn't come to you in the form of spells that are identical except for their level of power and name.

Besides. This defines the idea of "Versatility vs Power". You can either have a few strong techs, or a lot of lesser ones.

Just my two cents here, not that they're too useful, since this probably is just another stupid idea from a guy who knows just system mechanics... 9.9 <p>ChibiUrusai: *chomps* I am underage. ^-^

Archmage144

Unread postby Archmage144 » Tue Jul 29, 2003 10:42 pm

Arguably, your knowledge of system mechanics is derived from things like playing Diablo II--where such a thing makes sense, because otherwise, players become too powerful and the system does not adapt to fix this, as it is inflexible (until someone decides it's time for a patch). Here, players that have "become too powerful" are really only as powerful as the GM allows them to be. So what if someone's barreling through every obstacle with no trouble using their latest and greatest spell or tech? Put an obstacle they can't solve by fighting in their way, or if you want combat, hit them with something magic immune (or physically immune). Problem solved.

Thus, while you are competent regarding Philsys, I'm always a little leery of your nerf-happy tendencies. <p>

</p>

Nekogami

Unread postby Nekogami » Wed Jul 30, 2003 5:42 pm

Am I allowed to award EXP towards Phil-sys characters without using full Phil-sys rules?

I.E. I really hate combat and skills testing so I'm prone to simplifying it for time and stress's sake. <p>

Choark: Good luck there. You'll have to shit out darkness and send people into oblivion.</span></p>

Archmage144

Unread postby Archmage144 » Wed Jul 30, 2003 7:40 pm

I would really prefer it if you didn't. <p>

</p>

Nekogami

Unread postby Nekogami » Sat Aug 02, 2003 6:54 am

So that's a "Yes"? If not a relunctant one. <p>

Return to Character Closet