Philsys rules for mounted combat?

Character sheet archiving. Help with characters can be solicited here. This is also the place to talk Philsys or other RPing systems.
FlamingDeth

Philsys rules for mounted combat?

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Fri Jun 20, 2003 2:30 am

Ok, so most everybody in Gaera can ride a chocobo. That's pretty much accepted all over. But almost no-one can ride them well, or are trained in mounted combat. If trying to ride horses is any indication, doing anything on a two-legged bird would be fuckin' hard. So, we need rules to govern mounted combat between the untrained.

...especially since in my RP, I currently have a situation in which almost all the combatants are mounted. Except Dhargun, cause he got kicked off his bird. HAR HAR.

Anyhow, due to the difficulty involved in doing anything mounted that you aren't trained to do, these are the improvised rules I'm using right now:

Roll against the stats <Dex/Agi/Int>, with a difficulty of 25. If the roll is a success, continue on, nothing happens. If the roll is a failure, one of the following happens, GM's discretion:

1.) AT/PA are halved for the rest of the round. Also, ranks are halved for the purpose of rolling to cast spells for the rest of the round.
2.) The character loses their balance, and must wait for the next two people on the initiative list to make their action in order to regain their balance.
3.) Character falls off the mount, taking 2d4 points of falling damage, and go on with their turn as normal, just are no longer on their mount.

And that's what I got right now. I expect people to just rip into this, though, as it isn't even satisfactory in my eyes, and I should have brought it to light long before the situation arose in the first place. <p>
I AM A CHEF. MY MISSION IS TO COOK FOOD.

That was a recipe for kicking your ass!</p>

Uncle Pervy

Re: Philsys rules for mounted combat?

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Fri Jun 20, 2003 4:02 am

Chocobo riding is an <Dex/Agi/Int> normal skill, so saith Fresca's Sheet.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Fri Jun 20, 2003 11:18 am

Chocobo Riding could be taken as a support skill, but you wouldn't be able to derive any techs from it. If you want to do fancy stuff while mounted, you'd need to make it a normal skill.

Archmage144

Unread postby Archmage144 » Fri Jun 20, 2003 1:30 pm

In addition, mounts of other animal species that are different from chocobos would obviously require specific skills for each animal. The skill to ride a horse or giant rabbit would be different, though some sort of generic "riding aptitude" [s] skill could always be possible, probably giving a small bonus on ride checks--if the GM wanted to effectively negate riding aptitude due to the nature of the creature being ridden (e.g., if the character were used to riding horses and they attempted to ride a hippogriff), it would be as easy as increasing the difficulty of the check. <p>
<div style="text-align:center">Image</div>

</p>

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Fri Jun 20, 2003 7:34 pm

....gah. I can't believe I forgot to put the stats you roll on in there. Thanks for coverin' for me, Purvis.

Anyhow, it seems that the point is being missed here. It's not whether the players can ride chocobos with or without a skill, as they've ridden them without a skill for doing so in several RPs. My question is on what penalties are incurred on the untrained rider when attempting to fight on chocobo/horse/ninja back. <p>
I AM A CHEF. MY MISSION IS TO COOK FOOD.

That was a recipe for kicking your ass!</p>

Return to Character Closet