Thinkin' about GURPS

Character sheet archiving. Help with characters can be solicited here. This is also the place to talk Philsys or other RPing systems.
Mechanisto

Thinkin' about GURPS

Unread postby Mechanisto » Thu May 22, 2003 9:21 am

So then. I intend at some point in the near future to host a Gaera-based forum RP for about 3 or 4 people, but the question remains, what system to use? The two prime choices are [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=mechanistox>MechanistoX</A:] at: 5/22/03 9:25:30 am
[/i]

Elementalist Daien

Re: Thinkin' about GURPS

Unread postby Elementalist Daien » Thu May 22, 2003 12:49 pm

Hmm.

Well, it's really HARD for me to tell you what YOU want to choose, isn't it? Instead, I will do what I can. See, we usually use PhilSys, but The Window was also used for Dark Future RPs.

Well, the Window seems to be just a form of un-godmodey freestyle, while PS is a bit more strict and has a bit more rules.

If you want a REALLY organized RP, with everything in system and all that, use GURPS.

-Also: As in interest, I suppose PS, GURPS, Window. In that order. If people are willing to learn GURPS, that is.

--Also Also: It may be hard depending on the characters. You'll have to improvise a few rules, most likely.
It depends what you want.

Edited by: Elementalist Daien at: 5/22/03 12:51:58 pm

Nekogami

Unread postby Nekogami » Thu May 22, 2003 1:20 pm

I think Squintz Altec and Archmage would be very interested in this. I think that both of them, perhaps Nakibe as well, have performed GURPS RPs. And a few people have GURPS sheets for characters.

However, I am a bit dismayed that there are so few PS-RPs starting up now. So I'd like to see more of those personally. <p>

<div style="text-align:center">Image

Nekogami Character Pantheon--Deviant Art Gallery--LiveJournal</div>
<span style="font-size:xx-small;">Words to live by:
OMG PRIAM: ninja sex would be neither felt nor seen by either partner
OMG PRIAM: each would just suddenly need a smoke
Choark: Good luck there. You'll have to shit out darkness and send people into oblivion.</span></p>

Mechanisto

Unread postby Mechanisto » Fri May 23, 2003 12:13 pm

Hm... good advice.

I already know which system I'd prefer; I'm just trying to figure out wether GURPS would be feasable on this board. I was hoping to figure out if that was possible, before posting a recruitment thread, and risk watching it tank...

...but then, GMing is not for the meek of heart, is it? Image

If I can get 3 to 5 people willing to play with GURPS, then I'll go with that. It's certainly worth a shot. <p>---
You travel from system to system in the ships you create, colonizing worlds and creating new technologies. These are things that every sensible person wants to do. </p>

Talon Starblade

Unread postby Talon Starblade » Sat May 24, 2003 2:16 am

It's been a while, but Gurps is a system I could work with... *looks over at the shelf and a half of Gurps books* Yeah, it wouldn't be a problem.

A few questions:

What's the points max, and max flaws points value?

Are you STUCK on working straight from the main book, or are you open to a few others (I've got a lot of them)?

How do you feel about Anime style characters and/or gameplay?

How do you feel about odd-ball characters? I've made some real doosies in the past. One of my favorites, is working variants of the "Stranger in strange land" concept. My Favorite version, game player falls into the world of the game.

Do you plan your game to be Play-by-Post? Actually rolling dice, or freeform (using Gurps as a basis)? Or are you planning a Chatroom/IM game?

I think that's enough questions for now... I'm still typing this, and can already feel your head swimming from my question bombardment. So I'll cut this short, and let you mull over my post. <p>------------------
Before you is the portal... Are you prepared?

home.attbi.com/~phaga/
MSNMessenger: Talon Starblade
YIM: talonstarblade2000
AIM: talonstarblade</p>

Mechanisto

Unread postby Mechanisto » Sat May 24, 2003 5:10 pm

Don't worry, Talon... there's never enough questions.

Still thinking, but I'd say 150 max points, and 60 max flaws.

Unfortunately, I only have the core book at my fingertips. However, if you can send me suitably detailed information about non-core rules, I'll gladly use them as well... if they arent too complicated. Minor things, like new skills, dis/advantages, items or magic spells shouldn't be too complicated. As long as you can describe what it says in the book, and as long as that description isn't a page long.

Hm... the setting will pretty much be in Gaera, so anything that fits there will fit here.

Odd ball characters? Oh, what a schism... I myself like 'interesting' chars, but I don't want to GM a circus. Not too much of a circus, anyways. I'd have to hear your defenition of oddball to answer this better.

It will have to be a forum RP for now... I have no experience with Chat RPs, and the idea is a little daunting. I also intend to make decent use of the rules when needed, which will include rolling dice. It will still take a backseat to the actual roleplaying when nessecary.

In the meantime, more questions. MORE! Image <p>---
You travel from system to system in the ships you create, colonizing worlds and creating new technologies. These are things that every sensible person wants to do. </p>

Talon Starblade

Unread postby Talon Starblade » Sat May 24, 2003 11:56 pm

Well, albeit I won't have my scanner for afew more days, I have no problems about pulling stuff from the books to send to you. The magic and psionics books, basically just enhance those sections, and expand them considerably.

Magic and the second Grimoire essencially add 4 or 500 spells to what the main book has. The rules of usage hasn't changed, but they've added several varients on methods of magic, including Rune and Improvizational casting.

Likewise, the Psionics book added several more power catagories, and expanded on the available skills within those powers. Then it talked about advanced usage techinques.

The Martial Arts book is a good one to have, for expanding on the combat system, but not essencial.

The Super powers book is a fun one to use, and the rules are simular enough to Psionics for them to slide in decently. It allows you to do CHI powers and such.

Most of the rest of my books are World scenerio or plot enhancement books... Fantasy, space, Tech, Bioware, Cyberware... Even Time/Space/Dimensions book (one of my favorites).

I actually need to get my books scanned into my computer... They've been looked through so often, most are falling apart.

Well, my idea of odd-ball can deffinately get out there, but for a possible character for this game, I was thinking of going with something like this...

"21st Century kid, gets pulled into the Fantasy world, adn gets to discover his OWN potnetial."

Anyway, let me know what you think.

And the "Chat-room" games, are like table-top ones, just with a LOT of typing.

Talk at you later. <p>------------------

home.attbi.com/~phaga/

Mechanisto

Unread postby Mechanisto » Mon May 26, 2003 6:13 pm

Ack... overwhelmed... by... GURPS...! Image

Magic or Grimoir would be great; in fact, those are the books I intend to aquire soonest. I might allow supers as well, if it isn't too complicated.

I'll be honest; I'll be making things as basic as possible. This is a learning experience for me, and I'd rather keep things simple. This RP will be fairly soft-core on the rules. In fact, It will probably be half freestyle and half gurps... if that makes any sense.

(I'm not in a desperate hurry to get started, so you can try and send me some rules if you like. Wait... how do we do that?) <p>---

Talon Starblade

Re: Re: Thinkin' about GURPS

Unread postby Talon Starblade » Mon May 26, 2003 11:45 pm

"Half freestyle, half Gurps," sounds decent to me. I'm a former LARP player, and have been Freestyling for about 3 years now.

Magic and Grimoire are two GREAT books to start with... Especially for fantasy. The two Magic Items books, come in handy too... if only to give an idea of the kinds of toys you can make. Most of the spells in both of those books give you notations on how much you need to enchant objects. Alternatively, you can use the Gadgeteering rules, which require spending Character points in order to make things.

As for the super powers, take a good look at the Psionics section, it explains the basic rules pretty reasonably. The actual "Super-Powers" are broken into 2 groups: Super Advantages/Disadvantages and Powers (which function like the single power method for the Psionics, just read, you'll understand).

Bare in mind, I'm working with the "Revised, 3rd Edition core rules book, and the first compendium, so I have a LOT of junk to work with... Not to mention other systems... BESM, Palladium, D20, and a few random others.

As for sending rules or anything, you've basicly got all the rules you really need, any additions are usually added in the descriptions for the new Advantages, powers or skills. All the other stuff is essencially additional dressing. And in sending, once I get my Scanner back, I can send them as jpg images, or maybe run them through my OCR (Object Character Recognition) and turn them into text files. Easy enough. I need to archive the whole lot anyway. Like I said, several of them are falling apart at the seams. <p>------------------

home.attbi.com/~phaga/

Return to Character Closet