Golems... My first contribution to PhilSys! :D

Character sheet archiving. Help with characters can be solicited here. This is also the place to talk Philsys or other RPing systems.
ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Golems... My first contribution to PhilSys! :D

Unread postby ChristianC » Mon May 05, 2003 1:21 pm

Right, eher... >_>

I thought I'd pull my ass around and do things, and after reading Terry Prathett's "Feet of Clay" I found my calling...

*shuffles papers*

"Race" : Golems

Sub-"races": Clay Golem, Elemental Golem, Flesh Golem,

Clay Golem General Description: A Golem is a sort of artificial human created from (generally) an inanimate substance, like clay. It isn't absolutely necessary that it is done in the shape of a man, but it's a tradition so sacred it has not yet been broken.

When the clay-man is finished his skull is opened and a small scroll, a chem, is placed inside the head. The chem usually contains a holy scripture, generally from the Religion's creation myth. There are, however, records of golems being created by just having the word "Life" written on/in their head. The language this is written in doesn't have to be any particular, but the country from which the golem originated had a language which made it possible to change "life" to "death" by only erasing the first letter in the word. This was a form of safety mechanism.

A golem is incapable of acting against it's master, and is all things considered, just a tool. However, a golem is by nature not very bright and if not given the proper order it can cause quite the havoc. If, for example, you tell it to chop some firewood, it will do this until you order it to stop. Literally.

A golem can not speak, but can communicate by writing, although it's not generally a very interesting debater. It is also quite strong and nearly inbreakable, unless you remove the chem of course.

---

Elemental Golem General Description : A elemental Golem is, like the clay golem, a unliving thing given life. A clay golem is in a sense a elemental golem, as it is made from clay(earth), but the process of creating a elemental golem is slightly different.

A elemental golem is actually a elemental spirit, taken from it's own realm and put in a "body" composed of the material it governs. These forms are generally pretty unstable, but are, if possible, even dumber than clay golems. They are chaotic and wild, and generally only acts as temporary servants to whatever wizard or mage who called it up.

A elemental golem does not have a chem, as it is powered by a spirit, and thus can only be destroyed by either having the wizard dispelling it, or someone destroying it with whatever appropriate tool/element.

---

Flesh Golem : This is the most peculiar sub-"race" of the golems, and also the rarest. A flesh golem could, although incorrect, be called an undead, as it has many qualities of the undead.

However, there is one significant difference, a flesh golem is still alive. Whether through the work of a god or one of it's most potent follower, a Flesh Gollem is a dead being given life again. A flesh golem is a dead body given a completely new spirit, soul, through the use of a religious word, much like the chem. The flesh golem is in all sense Alive, meaning he has a heartbeat, breath, hair and nails grow, etc.

He is not, however, the same person as before. He is like a newborn, knowing nothing of the world around him or himself. Even so, Skins from the old person that does not entirely connect with the mind can be remembered, if but faintly.

Creating a flesh golem is one of the most hidden rituals among the old religions.

---

There, that's about all I can think up with covering... It probably still needs some fixing here and there, but I hope it will be interesting to read this, and maybe play a golem yourself. <p>
<div style="text-align:center">Image
Take therefore no thought for the marrow: for the marrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof. Matthew 6:34[/image]</div></p>

JoshuaDurron

Re: Golems... My first contribution to PhilSys! :D

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Mon May 05, 2003 2:01 pm

I RPed a golem once! ^_^

But he didn't really fit into any of these catagories. He was more like a gargoyle, in human form. Which suggests to me that PhilSys also needs gargoyle rules/outlines. <p>

Victory to the strong of will
Death to pretenders</p>

Mechanisto

Unread postby Mechanisto » Mon May 05, 2003 2:52 pm

Sorry, but my golems don't rely on any religious diety; it's more of a kind of programmed enchantment. And what if I want to design a Mechanical Golem? Or a Stone Golem, Tree Golem, Blood Golem, or Peanut Butter And Jelly Golem?

I don't like the idea of having a set of universal golem races golems for ALL enchanters to choose from... maybe they have similar traits, but they arent all cookie-cutter duplicates. It's like a writing a computer program; uniform results don't indicate an identical process, and each golemancer has their own style.

It might be better for individual Enchanters to keep records of their various types of Golems, instead of having a set number for all to use. I can't think of any kind of golem that cannot be defined through the normal character creation process, so designing a new Golem for your Enchanter to summon would be just like making a stat sheet for a new character, but with fewer or more skills/stats.

I'd really really REALLY like to see some rules for Golemancers (and Player Characters that ARE golems), since I love the idea... but, well, a Summoner character isn't forced to select from a menu of summonable creatures, right? In fact, summoned monsters can often be unique to individual casters. Why shouldn't Golems? <p>---
You travel from system to system in the ships you create, colonizing worlds and creating new technologies. These are things that every sensible person wants to do. </p>Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=mechanistox>MechanistoX</A] at: 5/5/03 2:54:00 pm

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Mon May 05, 2003 3:02 pm

This also overlooks the Golems that several characters create on a whim, A la Slayers and DragonHalf. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage</div></p>

Mechanisto

Unread postby Mechanisto » Mon May 05, 2003 3:56 pm

Improvisational Golemancy...

I like it! I'll have to change my stationary immediately. <p>---
You travel from system to system in the ships you create, colonizing worlds and creating new technologies. These are things that every sensible person wants to do. </p>

Archmage144

In fact:

Unread postby Archmage144 » Mon May 05, 2003 3:56 pm

"But he didn't really fit into any of these catagories. He was more like a gargoyle, in human form. Which suggests to me that PhilSys also needs gargoyle rules/outlines."

No, it suggests to me the flexibility of Philsys that comes from outlining and defining things only when absolutely necessary, and since I've only heard of one person playing something like that, that's almost completely unneeded.

Also, defining golems by the Jewish folklore definition doesn't work for me, because the definition I've always used is the D&D-esque definition that they're animated servants created by binding arcane spirits to a material body and animating said body, so there isn't any control scroll or whatever involved. Furthermore, I'd say that individual golems can be defined whenever, by the creators, and that no preset definitions need exist.

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Re: In fact:

Unread postby ChristianC » Mon May 05, 2003 4:30 pm

Ok.

I just thought I'd do something to well, add to the community. But it's ok if it doesn't fit in or anything. <p>
Take therefore no thought for the marrow: for the marrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof. Matthew 6:34[/image]</div></p>

Ghastly Knight

Unread postby Ghastly Knight » Tue May 06, 2003 12:44 am

Well CrC... there ARE Half-golems. AM might have seen them, if not I could scan the pages. They are referenced in the 3rd edition Monster Manual 2 and are quite able to control themselves, IF the procedure goes according to plan. The deal with them is, it is a template that really needs to be added on to an existing character, but I'm sure you could get around it someway... <p>
Quoth the Magus...
"The Black Wind begins to blow... Okay... Give me your best shot... If You're Prepared For The VOID!"
"Fool... Nothing lasts forever"</p>

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Tue May 06, 2003 6:12 am

That's D&D/AD&D

This is PhilSys.

>_> <p>

viator22

Unread postby viator22 » Tue May 06, 2003 9:26 pm

Doesn't Jak play a character with golem prostesis? According to the rules GK's referencing he's a half-golem. I'm with AM on this though, I'm not really sure we need a set of rules for golems. <p>-------
THENinjaRabbi: So..if I ate the baby, I'd be more sane?</p>

Return to Character Closet