The Ghosts of Philsys (C&C please)

Character sheet archiving. Help with characters can be solicited here. This is also the place to talk Philsys or other RPing systems.
The Dark Gun

The Ghosts of Philsys (C&C please)

Unread postby The Dark Gun » Wed Apr 30, 2003 10:46 pm

I've been working on this, for quite a while, and I think I have it operable... However, it still needs tweaking, so any helpful little bits would be nice!

Ghosts are, primarily, the remnants, both astrally and spiritually, of someone who has died, but somehow managed to either resist, or avoid, traveling out of this realm entirely. Ghosts have no normal physical form, and exist primarily in the astral plane, just as living beings live primarily in the physical world. On the astral plane ghosts appear as white, transparent images of their former selves, degrading into a wispy funnel-cloud like from the waist down.

Philsys Info: Being as ghosts have no physical body, they have no physical stats either. Ghosts have no HP, no Str, no Stm, no Cou, no Agi, and no Dex, they are completely mental constructs. A ghost is no longer subject to critical hits, and, unless actively interacting with the physical world, are considered Ethereal. Ghosts are more attuned to the astral plane (being as they exist on it) and, because of this, gain a few more MP than normal beings. If a ghost ever reaches 0 MP, it dies. To become a ghost one must either have a special spell cast upon them, be killed in a particularly nasty way, or die with some part of their purpose incomplete. The stronger the individual, the more likely they are to return as a ghost (As it is easier to ward of the Reaper for stronger people). Ghosts are technically NOT undead.

Number Stuff: Ghosts only start with 12 stat points, rather than 21, because they have less stats to put them into. The stats they have are: Int, Wis, Mag, Cou, and Cha. Note that all ghosts must have an Mag of 3 or more, and are normally considered blind unless the number exceeds 4 (By concentrating, a ghost with a Mag of 3 can scan the astral plane as a wizard does, and in that way see other beings).

Becoming a ghost: Follows a relatively simple formula, as follows:
Base Chance = 1% + Level/4
This base is changed if any of the following are true instead:
Violent Death = 1% + Level/2
Dies pursuing personally important quest/goal = 3% + Level
After the base chance is established the following multipliers adjust it (in this order):
Death during/right after intense physical anguish = x1.5
Death through Soul Removal = x1.5 + 3%
Death during/right after intense mental anguish = x2
Death by old age = x.5
Death from other natural cause (Such as sickness, natural disaster, etc., not caused by a spell, and not including old age) = x.75
Death from astral attack died = x0
0 MP or 0 MA when died = x.25

Ex: 4th level fighter is killed in combat: Violent death: 1%+ 4/2 = 3% chance to become a ghost.
BUT if the same fighter died fighting the orcs that had just killed his family… (Violent death: 1%+ 4/2) x 2 for mental anguish = 6% chance to become a ghost. If he survived that, and later died in a fight against someone else trying to get to the orcs: Dies pursuing personally important quest/goal = 3% + 4 = 7% And so on. When someone becomes a ghost, they spend about 1 day completely forming their astral body. During this time they can take no actions, but at the same time, are totally ethereal. At the end of this time they are a full ghost, with all previous skills (However, some may be generally inoperable due to their lack of physical form). They also gain 1 point in each of the two "Ghost Skills." All ghosts are reduced to first level when first formed, they also have their Mag increased to 3 if it is less than 3, as well as having all skills that are above 4 halved.

Ghost MP formula: 15+ (12 x Mag) + (6 x Int) + (6 x Wis)

Ghost Skills:

Appirate: This allows the ghost to assume a physical form temporarily at the cost of its MP/round. Higher levels in this allow the ghost to assume higher physical abilities, and appear more solidly.

Project: This is allows the ghost to create a powerful illusion of it’s death. The higher the level the stronger the illusion, until it can, temporarily, warp the area around it to match the setting of the scene (But only if the place is at least somewhat similar to begin with). Most of these scenes cause fear to some degree. Also, a ghost with 4 or more points in Project can also use it to make itself visible (Although still ethereal), and one with 2 or more points can attempt to communicate with sleeping people.
<p>The worst nightmares are those we create ourselves... And then ignore.</p>

Animala
HATED BY SKELETONS

Re: The Ghosts of Philsys (C&C please)

Unread postby Animala » Wed Apr 30, 2003 11:34 pm

My question:

Why do we need a percentile role to find out whether someone becomes a ghost?

That seems more like a plot consideration to me.

-White Knight <p>

Behold! Sig figs!</p>

Banjooie

Unread postby Banjooie » Wed Apr 30, 2003 11:38 pm

We'll be rolling facial features, next. <p><Chat> <Matto says, "What's up?"
<Chat> <Prince_Herb says, "Angst."
<Chat> <Prince_Herb says, "Drama."
<Chat> <Prince_Herb says, "Betrayal."
<Chat> <Prince_Herb says, "Plushies."</p>

Skull Dragon 2

Unread postby Skull Dragon 2 » Thu May 01, 2003 12:05 am

If rolling facial features means that people will go to the dramatic extreme of "writing down what your character looks like", then I'm for it. Character sheets that don't describe a character bother me. <p>
<div style="text-align:center">"You agree to not use the Service to disseminate off-topic messages on boards promoting any product, service, web site, board or venture, or promote boards on the Service through unsolicited electronic mail messages to third parties." ~ ezboard Terms of Service, Section 6.g
Everybody Takoumori!</div></p>

Squintz Altec
Administrator

Unread postby Squintz Altec » Thu May 01, 2003 2:16 am

Most sheets explain basic features. There's no way to convey the correct image without art, though, and imagination is supposed to be used to fill in the rest.

Mechanisto

Unread postby Mechanisto » Thu May 01, 2003 9:06 am

Firstly... why don't ghosts have a courage stat? It is mental or psychological trait.

Secondly... I propose some new techniques(Given my inexperience with PS, these are pure suggestions):

[Posession=1] Inhabit Item - Transfers a transient spirit or ghost into an item; the posessed item becomes a physical anchor for the spirit, but gains no supernatural properties. Astral sight will reveal the spirit's aura within the object, and a Give Voice or Animate Object spell will allow the spirit to communicate or control the item. Physical stats (including HP, AC, Str, Sta, Dex, Agi), are decided by the GM according to the object, using common sense. The spirit dies when the item is destroyed (reduced to 0 HP), instead of when their MP is drained. A spirit is completely vulnerable when attempting a posession, and touching the object interrupts the process.

[Posession=4] Posess Item - Transfers a transient spirit or ghost into an item, as above, and also gives it the properties of a permenant "Give Voice" and/or "Animate object" spell. An item's physical stats are decided by the GM, aand the spirit can then improve physical stats as desired by Rank/3 points.

[Posession=8] Posess Natural Being - Transfers a transient spirit or ghost into a living person or natural animal; essentially acting as a parasite, the host gains full or partial control of the creature (At certain intervals, only certain body parts, only memories or skill knowledge, etc.), and must make a posession roll against the creature's Level and Cou every hour, or be expelled. An exorcism spell will remove the spirit, and astral sight will reveal two overlapping auras around the creature. If a person becomes aware of the spirit during posession, theprocess fails.

[Posession=12] Posess Natural Being - Transfers a transient spirit or ghost into a magical or supernatural creature; Identical to Posess natural Being, but will work on nearly any creature, magical, undead, etheral, etc; though not all creatures can be posessed.

EDIT: Also, when posessing an intelligent and sentient being, if the spirit asks to posess the person, and explains the exact nature of control they desire *honestly and fully,* the posession is always sucessfull and cannot be resisted by the host at any time. The spirit *must*leave after an agreed upon time or goal is reached. <p>---
You travel from system to system in the ships you create, colonizing worlds and creating new technologies. These are things that every sensible person wants to do. </p>Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=mechanistox>MechanistoX</A] at: 5/1/03 9:12:02 am

Skull Dragon 2

Unread postby Skull Dragon 2 » Thu May 01, 2003 1:04 pm

Squintz: If most sheets explained basic features, I wouldn't have said that they don't. Read over some sheets and try finding physical descriptions. For reference, note that "black hair" does not say whether the length is that of Signal or Vin Diesel, "+4 Strength" does't say whether the muscle mass is like that of...actually, Signal or Vin Diesel, and "padded clothes" doesn't give style, color, accessories, anything beyond how the clothes were made. You know how hard it is to do fanart when you have to create your subject? <p>
<div style="text-align:center">"You agree to not use the Service to disseminate off-topic messages on boards promoting any product, service, web site, board or venture, or promote boards on the Service through unsolicited electronic mail messages to third parties." ~ ezboard Terms of Service, Section 6.g
Everybody Takoumori!</div></p>

The Dark Gun

Unread postby The Dark Gun » Thu May 01, 2003 2:31 pm

I would like to thank Mechanisto for making a completely relevant and helpful post! I would also like to kick myself for not giving ghosts a Cou stat... I''ll fix that in a bit.

I also like the Possession skill, and I think I'll add it, thank you for the idea!

As for the percentile roll: I'm just used to doing things that way, of course DMs and players can decide "Yes I will" or "No I won't." Regarless, the percentile was just to represent that more powerful people in more extreme circumstances were more likely to become ghosts...

And I don't see how that would lead to rolling for appearance.

Squintz Altec
Administrator

Unread postby Squintz Altec » Thu May 01, 2003 2:31 pm

Some charsheets are long enough without an Ayenee description of what they look like. It's probably better to just tell some basic facts, use your imagination to figure out what they look like, and if you're a little off, you're a little off. If you need any clarifications, you can just ask, you know.

Mechanisto

Unread postby Mechanisto » Thu May 01, 2003 2:47 pm

The eerie thing was I was almost finished making a Char sheet for a kind of spirit character... but there weren't any such rules for it up until this post, so I guess that's why I had the idea.

I'm glad posession is going in; makes my char a lot more feasable! <p>---
You travel from system to system in the ships you create, colonizing worlds and creating new technologies. These are things that every sensible person wants to do. </p>

Zemyla

Unread postby Zemyla » Thu May 01, 2003 3:06 pm

This will also help when I convert Kenna to Philsys and make stats for her spirit companions.

Thanks! <p>-----
Do not taunt Happy Fun Zemyla.

SongstressEnlil: I think boobs are the lesser of two evils.

Adventurers! | RPG World World | The Phantom Lord's OT Board mkII | Indie Madnesse</p>

viator22

Unread postby viator22 » Sun May 04, 2003 8:00 pm

Just a suggestion, but someone should probably post a link to this thread in th "Gaera Guide Updates" thread. <p>-------
THENinjaRabbi: So..if I ate the baby, I'd be more sane?</p>

WhiteWerefox

A few suggestions.

Unread postby WhiteWerefox » Sun May 04, 2003 10:29 pm

A couple comments on the subject...

If ghosts can posess things, can they act as a malediction/benediction if they posess equipment?

Can ghosts interact with physical objects? Can they learn Telekenesis skills to do so?

Can ghosts walk through walls? Can they fly? Turn invisible?

If ghosts use MP as health, are their magic casting abbilities different in any way? Can you use a drain/rasp type spell to kill them?

I like the concept. Looks like fun.

The Dark Gun

Re: A few suggestions.

Unread postby The Dark Gun » Sun May 04, 2003 11:10 pm

As noted, ghosts ARE ethereal unless attempting to interact with the physical world, and therefore can walk through walls, etc. (And ghosts are naturally invisible)

Yes, ghosts can learn any kind of magic (And mental magic is an excellent choice for them)

Spell casting works normally, and yes, they can die from having their mana drained. <p>The worst nightmares are those we create ourselves... And then ignore.</p>

Return to Character Closet