Little dilemma on chi.

Character sheet archiving. Help with characters can be solicited here. This is also the place to talk Philsys or other RPing systems.
Divinegon2130

Little dilemma on chi.

Unread postby Divinegon2130 » Tue Apr 22, 2003 3:20 pm

All right, I've been trying to help someone with their PhilSys character sheet, and it seems I've hit a bad snag.

The snag in question is the concept of chi (if my Japanese is correct, that means "spirit"), which refers to spirit energy.

In order to clarify this snag a bit, I'm going to bring up two character sheets with differing views on this.

[url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=divinegon2130>Divinegon2130</A]&nbsp; Image at: 4/22/03 3:31:20 pm
[/i]

Mechanisto

Re.: Something that's been baffling me in PhilSys currently.

Unread postby Mechanisto » Tue Apr 22, 2003 3:31 pm

If one kind of Chi uses strength and the other uses magic, then they are completely different species of Chi. Sounds like how Psychic powers are handled as spells; you could perform Telekenesis any number of ways, with Psychic powers and/or magic.

Do we need a difference between Chi Magic, and innate Chi powers?

<p>---
You travel from system to system in the ships you create, colonizing worlds and creating new technologies. These are things that every sensible person wants to do. </p>

Skull Dragon 2

Re: Re.: Something that's been baffling me in PhilSys curren

Unread postby Skull Dragon 2 » Tue Apr 22, 2003 3:46 pm

Like somebody explained to me once for Two-Handed Weapon Fighting, I guess it depends on how they learned it. To use a D&D reference, wizards and sorcerers cast the same spells. But wizards learn theirs through research and preparation while sorcerers channel inherent magical energy. Somebody can train their chi like a fighter trains with his sword, through practice and execution, or like a mage trains with his magic, through study and preparation. It represents two different approaches to the same general idea. <p>
<div style="text-align:center">"You agree to not use the Service to disseminate off-topic messages on boards promoting any product, service, web site, board or venture, or promote boards on the Service through unsolicited electronic mail messages to third parties." ~ ezboard Terms of Service, Section 6.g
Everybody Takoumori!</div></p>

Endesu
ラムレッダ

Unread postby Endesu » Tue Apr 22, 2003 5:28 pm

No. Ki and Chi are roughly the same thing, only different names in different cultures. Ki is Japanese, Chi is Chinese.

There is a separate name for it from India, if I'm not mistaken, though I don't know what that could possibly be. <p>

DB(Z) Manga Shrine -
RPGWW MB - Da Tower -
ADV! MB - Dave Kelly's Purple Pussy</p>

Mechanisto

Unread postby Mechanisto » Wed Apr 23, 2003 12:40 pm

It's the same training, the same skill; but with different attributes. So why not give Chi techniques a Magic or Agility requirement, depending on their nature? Same skill... different techs. <p>---
You travel from system to system in the ships you create, colonizing worlds and creating new technologies. These are things that every sensible person wants to do. </p>

Unknown

Unknown

Unread postby Unknown » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:42 am

(This post is missing and can not be restored)

Return to Character Closet