Videoland

Character sheet archiving. Help with characters can be solicited here. This is also the place to talk Philsys or other RPing systems.
The Great Nevareh

Videoland

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:12 pm

I've been thinking of signing up for Videoland for awhile, now, and I was wondering if anyone would be willing to give me some pointers/tips/guidance for building a character. I also lost the link, so I'd appreciate that, too.

For reference, I plan on using either Eikichi Mishina, Tatsuya Suou, or Jun Kurosu (all from Persona 2: Innocent Sin, which was never translated into English, potentially because of Magical Hitler and his Robot Nazis) <p>[---------------------------]
"There is great disorder under Heaven, and the situation is excellent."
-Mao Tse-Tung

"I eat the talking bees because I am George Washington Christ"
-From "Bob the Ball"</p>

Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!

Re: Videoland

Unread postby Spleen » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:07 pm

videolandmush.com/

I'm not the person to ask about this. Both of my apps, when I played, took at least three retries before they'd be accepted. <p>-_-___-___-___-_-

"The universe is all in the mind that perceives it, and sensation is the first and only reality. If a tree falls in the forest with no creature to hear it, then there is no tree."
-Dungeons and Dragons: Complete Arcane, page 167

"I don't know who's a bigger fool: Him for going, you for following, or me for not leaving you both."
-Demona, Gargoyles (Episode 11: Long Way to Morning)</p>

Archmage144

Unread postby Archmage144 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:25 pm

Example of an app that got accepted first go:

Videoland MUSH Application

Name: Brian Ford
Email: bford@butler.edu

Previous RP experience: I have been a tabletop RPer (d20, GURPS, homebrewn systems) for the past five years. I've also been heavily involved in a community called "RPG World World," which originally spawned from the RPG World comic's forum as a group of crazy internet denizens who eventually formed an RP community. Much of RPGWW's organization on the RP front is an indrect result of my encouragement and prior experience--RPGWW's forum was loaded with roleplaying talent, but lacked direction, and I was one of RPGWW's first official GMs. RPGWW's website can be found at http://www.greatdave.org/rpgww/, and contains copious information about the Philsys homebrewn system (which admittedly needs some work and is in need of updates) and the expansively developed "Gaera" world in which the majority of RPGWW's roleplaying takes place. Around RPGWW and most of the rest of the internet I use the handle "Archmage," and I'm one of the RPGWW forum's administrators. My MU** experience is sadly rather limited--my interest in Videoland is a recent thing, spurred by a friend from RPGWW who recommended the MUSH to me.

Character information:

============================================================================
Name: Mega Man
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Morality: Hero
Game: Mega Man
Job: Household Robot Turned Defender of Justice
Quote: "C'mon, Rush, they need our help!"

Profile: Mega Man was originally created to serve as a companion and lab assistant for the robotics genius Dr. Light. Christened with the name "Rock," Mega Man was intended to be a peaceful and amiable robot--just like the rest of Dr. Light's eventual creations. Unfortunately, the good doctor's naivety prevented him from noticing that while his interest in robots was purely for the good of mankind, his aide Dr. Wily had plans of a completely different nature. When Dr. Wily reprogrammed Dr. Light's robots and unleashed them to ravage the world, Rock stepped forward and volunteered to be transformed into a warrior robot in order to defend humanity. Knowing that granting this request was the only hope for the world, Dr. Light complied, modifying Rock in order to build Mega Man. Defeating Wily and foiling his evil schemes again and again, Mega Man's existence is all about heroism and justice. Over time, Dr. Light made improvements to Mega Man's AI, gradually allowing him to achieve human-like sentience. Mega Man is well liked and respected by the moral, upstanding citizens of Videoland, appreciated for his honesty and loyalty to the causes of good. Always on the lookout for trouble and ready to help anyone in need, Mega Man can be counted on to help a friend in a jam. Mega Man's arch-rival is his first and potentially most tenacious foe, Dr. Wily, who never seems to give up despite Mega Man's many victories. Armed with his trusty Mega Buster and the powerful ability to absorb and utilize the powers of his enemies, Mega Man's steadfastness and trustworthiness have secured him a place among Videoland's true heroes.
Skills: Justice Sense, Artificial Intelligence, Looking Good in Blue, Dogsurfing, Helping Old Ladies Across The Street, Not Being Able To Duck, Foiling Wily's Plans, Inexplicable Blinking

4A.

Personality: Mega Man is, at heart, a do-gooder. If there's a puppy caught in a tree, he'll try to get him down with Rush Coil. If someone drops a quarter, he'll pick it up and chase after them to give it back. If a mad scientist hijacks an army of robots and is hellbent on world domination coupled with control of the world's supplies of WD-40 and lugnuts, he'll spring into action, handily defeat all the robots by using their own superweapons against them, and then brave the perils of the mad scientist's castle armed only with his artificial wits, super sliding abilities, and more ammunition than God. Friendly, honest, and above all else, loyal, Mega Man sees the good in everything and everyone and has sworn never to harm a human being. That doesn't mean he's a pacifist, though--any evildoer picking a fight with Mega Man is bound to get his come-uppance eventually. Of course, Mega Man has hobbies, just like anyone else, and he often likes to spend his spare time (when he's not helping people, of course) reading the works of classic authors such as Dostoevsky, Brontë, Shakespeare, Tolstoy, Kafka, and Asimov--but not Vonnegut. He's too crass and sarcastic. In fact, that's one of the things Mega Man hates more than anything else--sarcasm. Conversely, however, he's a huge fan of corny and blatantly heroic gestures, sayings, and actions, and he has a tendency to be as over the top as possible with his heroics, but that's not to say he's a ham, and even if he were, you couldn't blame him for it. It's just in his programming, after all. Being a robot, Mega Man has no need for things like sleep, food, or beverage, which makes him a very efficient "watchdog." However, these sorts of things don't stop him from being companionable--quite the contrary, in fact, because asking him if he'd accompany you to lunch never has the possibility of creating an awkward situation in which he might need to borrow money. Finally, despite the fact that Mega Man's joints and body are made from non-oxidizing alloys, he has a strange paranoia about rusting (probably from watching The Wizard of Oz too many times) that prompts him to oil himself regularly.

4B.

Strengths and Weaknesses: Mega Man's greatest strength and weakness simultaneously is his dogged persistence. Once he has focused himself on a task, nothing can stay him from it short of a direct command from Dr. Light or his physical destruction. Therefore, any evildoer can string Mega Man along much like a burro can be lured with a carrot on a pole, always keeping success one step out of his reach. However, Mega Man's numerous advantages as a result of being a robot, such as not needing rest, mean that he will eventually succeed at almost any task simply because he'll refuse to ever give up. Similarily, Mega Man's integrity and honesty are both strengths and weaknesses--while not terribly naive, some might classify his alignment as "lawful stupid."

4C.

Morality: Hah. If it weren't apparent by now, Mega Man is one of the world's biggest robotic goody-two-shoes. Heroic, righteous, and totally fixated on the preservation of all that is lawful and right, Mega Man's initial programming as a Household Robot Turned Defender of Justice coupled with his artifically developed distate for wrongdoers who never wise up to the fact that their evil schemes will always fail make it very clear what his stand is on any given moral issue.

4D.

Videoland Relations: Mega Man sees the world of Videoland as a place to protect and serve. with a firm belief in the inherently good nature of all beings, Mega Man asserts that his duty is to protect the meek and moral of Videoland while simultaneously smiting the evil forces of Mother Brain and anyone else who would dare oppose the just rule of Princess Lana. Of course, Mega Man is very loyal to Dr. Light, and has close ties with his "brother" Proto Man and "sister" Roll, as well as his "robot's best friend" Rush.

The Last Question: Mega Man is a fairly good warrior by the standards of his world. After all, he's defeated Wily and foiled his schemes (though not unscratched, of course) multiple times, triumphing over such menaces as Elec Man, the Yellow Demon, Quick Man, Shadow Man, and even Bass. Of course, for whatever bizarre reason (most likely an overlooked design flaw), Mega Man is completely unable to duck. However, he makes up for this ability with his high-speed sliding ability and the powerful Mega Buster, which can be charged to deal massive damage to any of the enemies of justice. While he certainly does not escape unscratched, and often suffers heavily, he usually triumphs over adversity.

<p>
<div style="text-align:center">Image</div>

</p>

Banjooie

Unread postby Banjooie » Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:28 pm

The Personality section is largely there to see how you'd function in a combat scene, on the radio channels, and in a social scene.

Strengths and Weaknesses...well, here's how I'd do it.

Strengths:
Overexcited Japanese Kid is fanboying about how badass/heroic you are. What he is pointing to?

Weaknesses:
Very Evil Guy wants to convert you to evil/piss you off. What traits of yours is he taking advantage of?

Morality: And, um, why is he a hero again? Is he an anti-hero? Is he Squall?

Videoland Relations: Does he actually like the Palace/EVIL, or is he just 'meh, it works for me'?

Combat:

There are four stats, which are basically Accuracy, Evade, Power, and Defense. (They have different names.) Just make sure your app has points that cover each of these areas.
<p><Chat> <Matto says, "What's up?"
<Chat> <Prince_Herb says, "Angst."
<Chat> <Prince_Herb says, "Drama."
<Chat> <Prince_Herb says, "Betrayal."
<Chat> <Prince_Herb says, "Plushies."</p>

Return to Character Closet