Nevareh's Original Thread: Warren Kane Remix

Character sheet archiving. Help with characters can be solicited here. This is also the place to talk Philsys or other RPing systems.
The Great Nevareh

Nevareh's Original Thread: Warren Kane Remix

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:30 pm

(Wow, I spent three days trying to register when it turns out I *mysteriously* already have an account. Hmmm....)

I understand that this is potentially not the correct place to post this, but it is somewhat relevant, so... yeah.

Hi! I'm... well, me. I'm new, I'm present, yada yada yada, and considering I currently am not signed up for anything anywhere, I thought it best if I make a pitch involving my first character on this board- His name is
WARREN KANE!!!! *dramatic noise!*

*Dramatic pause!*

*ahem* Warren Kane. Yes. Anyway, since he doesn't have any combat abilities whatsoever, I'm not sure if I should make a Philsys sheet of him, seeing as how the majority reason these exist appears to be so that characters can fight.
Warren is a mystic artisan- He makes things. He's also pretty good at it, and potentially as time goes on his items might become famous if he gains enough skill and notoriety in his craft. But for now, he's just one of many hundreds of craftsmen who make magical items. He's currently traveling, looking for a new place to set up shop, and he won't stop until someone makes a pitch at him. I put his current position at... A few miles down the road from Baron, the last place he tried to find work (and failed miserably.)
Short, red hair, green eyes, and a pale complexion, average height with a slight build, he's walking around with a larger-than-average pack on his back with a few tools and some travel necessities.

Anyway, there's my pitch. If I was wrong in assuming that a character who has no ability to fight whatsoever does not need a Philsys sheet, someone please say so.

Thanks in advance, and toodles!!

Edit- Finally got around to doing this. Anyway...

Name: Warren Kane
Height: 5'8''
Weight: 145lbs
Build: Slim and lanky (much like almost every character I make... hmmm...)
Hair: Dull red, short length
Eyes: Emerald green
Skin: Reasonably tanned, normally pale caucasian without tan.
Handedness: Left
Nationality: *Shrug* Naturalized Doman
Class: Mystic Artisan/Magic Researcher
Appearance:
Warren Kane can usually be found doing SOMETHING around Doma City. Thus, he has a couple of leather aprons and smocks that have a variety of scars and discolorations on them. He's also got a bunch of protective gear, like goggles and work gloves, and he is usually wearing some form of clothing designed to keep chemicals at bay. He also has a handkerchief that has an ever-increasing number of permits and liscences issued by a variety of branches of the Doman municipal government, and sometimes it's pinned very proudly(though not wisely) to the front of one of these aprons. He also recently got a court decision overturned which dictated he had to wear a warning sign stating "Flammable" in large, block letters sewn into his shirt. He carries scientific and intellectual exuberance around with him like a bright beacon.

Persona: Warren Kane is persistantly in his own world ruled by numbers and incomprehensible theory. He has ideas pop into his head much faster than he can ever hope to accomplish any of them, but thankfully more than half of these ideas are rubbish anyway. Whenever he learns something new or sees something he's never seen before, it completely and utterly destroys any thought process he's going through and he becomes bitterly obsessed with discovering all of the new phenomenon's secrets. Frequently he runs out of interesting material on this subject in a couple of days. He also has a miserable tendency to go philosophical at the wrong times and might get very introspective about the oddest things. He's also very, VERY careful about not breaking the laws of Doma. His first two years living there taught him enough about THAT.

Warren is a creative man with a strong background in engineering and physics, as well as aetheric and mystic theory. He has an innate talent for magic that he never cultivated into any form of combat prowess, and used it instead to expand his understanding of the world. These qualities, combined with a reasonably fit body, an insatiable curiosity, and a willingness to poke at the universe make him a very good researcher. The side effects of his research can periodically be sold very widely and very cheaply by enterprising businesspeople, which Warren is not. However, now that someone else is managing his business affairs, he's enjoying a fair amount of success and has more than enough money to continue researching whatever he likes.

Warren's History!

Warren Kane is the child of a curiously cursed upper-class family in the more fashionable district of Baron City. One of his female ancestors was so entranced with her own beauty that she hired a team of sorcerers to make her beauty last forever. One of these sorcerers got so fed up with her that he placed a curse on her bloodline that every single child had by her or any of her descendants would have extremely similar physical features, no matter who or what their other parent is. Thus the curse of the clan of Kane: All Kanes have the same bone structure, the same base hair, eye, and skin color, generally the same height and build, and a great many other features- most Kanes look almost exactly the same if they do nothing to alter their appearance. Still, though they LOOK the same, they carry the genes of both their parents- each child is not an exact copy of Lady Margolotta Kane. The funny part of this curse is that Lady Kane, in her time, found this extremely funny and innovative. The story goes that she decided that the sorcerer had done his job, paid him for his services, and dismissed the whole team. After all, she had never said that SHE had to be preserved for all time- just her beauty.

Warren, as a child, was educated by tutors and went to a variety of academies where he frequently graduated in record time without actually realizing it. Eventually it was decided that, with both his innate mental brilliance as well as his above-average magical talent that the entire point of schooling him continuously in the lower levels, thus he wen to the Gunnir Magical Academy for the Arcane Arts and Sciences and was accepted at the age of 17.

The unfortunate side effect to this is that ideally, he SHOULD have started three years earlier and in the meantime began something that would forever cripple his potential career as a mage-adventurer: he discovered Engineering. He began to pick up tricks of the trade from the workers of the Cidolfas Airfield, and soon his head filled with the magic of the mundane, forever shutting out the possibility that he would take magical knowledge and use it for fame or fortune.

When at Gunnir, on the far side of the continent from his family, he began a course load that, according to his advisors, was a very bad idea. However, his thirst for knowledge as well as practical applications of the arcane sciences was not to be quenched: He graduated by 19 and began graduate work in a field of highly theoretical magic: Crisis Theory.

The short version of Crisis Theory: There is a parallel existance to ours where there exists nothing but potential that is otherwise unreachable by people outside of extraordinary circumstances. This realm, however, crosses over into ours at points of crisis, where someone really, really needs a sudden, temporary boost to their stamina or other abilities in order to accomplish something glorious/overcome adversity/stop the world from ending, et cetera. When this crossover occurs, this otherwise unreachable potential enters our reality for a very short period of time and provides this great advantage, then disappears whence it came.

The practical application behind Crisis Theory is to try to tap into this parallel existance outside of really dire or unlikely circumstances and use this otherness-potential as a power source for any variety of exertions that would otherwise be too much for someone to accomplish. This is, of course, impossible without the right tools which up until the idea occurred did not exist and could not be made. The moment the idea of using this alter-existance in a practical fashion happened, the outlandish chance that the tool needed would suddenly be there (another aspect of Crisis Theory) once again was satisfied and the first Crisis Orb was discovered falling from the sky about a hundred yards west of where the person thinking about it was sitting.

The strange part is that Crisis Orbs are impossible to make without other Crisis Orbs, and the Crisis Orb is such an artificial phenomenon that it's just ludicrous that one could occur naturally, so no one has any idea where this one came from. However, since then, they have been used to make more. There are now about 300 in existance, and it's unlikely that they'll be gotten rid of: They're really damn durable for something that looks like it's made out of a hollow glass bubble, disenchanting them is a pain in the ass (though not actually difficult) because you need to use ANOTHER Crisis Orb to do it, and there will always be someone in the world who's willing to play with something they don't actually understand just to find out what happens.

Gunnir Academy has seven of these three hundred orbs kept in a special building they reserve for people who are likely to unmake themselves with their own curiosity and willingness to mess with stuff they don't understand. The actual use of a Crisis Orb is really kind of simple; so simple no one has got a good grip on why it works. The leading theory is that the Crisis Orb anticipates what is going to be asked of it and thus does what is going to be tried to accomplish using it on its own (which is actually applicable to the sudden appearance of the first Crisis Orb).

Practical and Theoretical Crisis Theory isn't something that draws many students; there's only money in it if you manufacture trinkets using this complex magical process and even then it requires a LOT of mathematical computation in order to execute correctly. So much that most students apply themselves to fields of research that likely have futures for people who don't love to watch endless columns of equations form up to generate an effect as simple as warming a cup of coffee.

With his background in Engineering, Warren found the endless puzzle of Crisis Theory absolutely fascinating. He applied himself religiously to his research at Gunnir for three years, until he decided that the best place to experiment with Crisis Theory is in a much more population-rich area; only sentients appear to be able to call upon the alter-existence and thus having a big group of them together in one place makes the entire process easier. So, Warren applied to recieve a Crisis Orb, bought it from the head of Practical and Theoretical Crisis Theory, and headed back home, to Baron City.

His life got kind of wonky since then, since not everyone (especially not government officials) has the same unquenchable thirst for knowledge combined with a complete disregard of danger that Warren has in great, great quantities. Since his return to Doma City, he has started a workshop and now employs an assistant (who finds himself running a lot of errands) and is a "business partner" with one of his old acquaintances from Baron City. If all he has to do are sign some papers to get someone to make the guard stop bothering him, he'd do it in a heartbeat... and he did. Thus, he now is the proud owner of 1% of Warren Kane Enterprises, Ltd. LLC, with the other 99% being disbursed out to a reasonably-sized number of investors who now have a lot more money than they put into the venture.

Still, he has all the money he could ever need for experimenting, he writes monthly reports of his progress back to Gunnir, and he has recently starting taking commissions for specialty gear or services. For Warren Kane, life is good.

Edited by: The Great Nevareh at: 11/11/05 19:06

wkz

*sigh*

Unread postby wkz » Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:37 pm

Even if you are not doing a philly board system character, you might want to describe in detail how your character ticks.

here's a link to my links to 3 examples.:here

Uncle Pervy

Re: Hello!

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:39 pm

There aren't quite hundreds of people who craft magical items. Well...not in a single region, anyways.

Overall, the concept is pretty good. What can he make and what does he know how to enchant it with?

Also, what is his general personality? Uncle Pervy  Image at: 4/6/04 10:41 pm
[/i]

The Great Nevareh

Re: *sigh*

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:00 pm

Oh, certainly! I apologize for not stating so sooner!

Warren Kane
Male
Human

(FACTOID:The Kane Family heritage is long and boring. At some point, the kin of Kane were nobles. After a very long time, their nobility has become so insignificant and watered-down that one may as well ignore them completely. Sometimes they show up in a debate by scholars of extremely obscure history, and may said scholars have theories doubting that there ever was a noble family Kane.
Interesting family trait- A curse was put on the family a long time ago that made every gene governing the appearance of a certain girl dominant, since she so loved how she looked. This girl ended up mothering an entire line of nobility, all of whom look extremely similar because of this curse nobody ever bothered to lift. At this point, there are numerous country superstitions about people who have Kane characteristics, seeing as how, no matter whom they breed with, the always come out with silky red hair, emerald green eyes, somewhat soft features, average height, slight build, and a pale complexion. Of course, they can still dye their hair, cut it, change the coloration of their eyes, et cetera, but it's still a somewhat eerie. The matriarch of the Kane clan has close to a thousand descendants at this point in time, and they all look frighteningly similar.)

Warren is a craftsman who exists to better his art. He loves it when his creations are loved by others and/or useful to society. He has no mean magical skill- but he could never direct it at another person, nor could he use any of his tools ever to harm someone else. It isn't kind benevolence. He doesn't have it in him to harm someone else, even if he's about to come to harm.
He has a few siblings (who may end up floating around here eventually), and has always struggled against mediocrity. Along with a good work ethic and an unbending will to succeed comes a subservience to anyone who he feels strongly loyal to. Though he is capable of making big decisions every now and then, he generally does not manage his own affairs very well, and is easily pushed around by others. He would much rather sit in his workshop and work on something than do more practical things such as find customers, get orders, expand his market, manage his accounts, eat, sleep, et cetera.
Warren pays attention to research and technological advances, and is always eager to try to apply a principle he just learned about in his work. His current fixation is Mythril, though since he doesn't have much money, he's having a hard time finding any to play with.
Warren works for the satisfaction of having made something, not for rewards, and so long as someone find something he made useful, he could care less if it's being used for what he intended it to or not.
Easygoing, not very aware of his surroundings, and extremely determined to finish something once he starts, he can be relied upon to finish any task you set forth to him, so long as he agreed that he'd find a way to do it.

That's Warren! I'm sorry I didn't include this information earlier, and I apologize for causing undue aggravation.

The Great Nevareh

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:05 pm

Well, he knows basic enchantments for durability, lightness, and a few token things such as emitting light. He also pays attention to periodicals on the subject of magic (there has to be research going on somewhere on the subject!) and usually tries to use these new discoveries or theories in his work.
He can also enchant things to move by themselves in a pre-set way, and once made a set of marionettes that performed without having people control them. They could be set to perform any of three shows, and so long as they were set up right, no one disturbed them, and no new enchantments came their way, they were capable of performing these three shows, voices and all.

He can go on and on in great detail as to how he did this, but he assumes that the majority of it is obvious and won't talk about it unless urged.

wkz

Ouch

Unread postby wkz » Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:11 pm

Quote:"Edit: wkz's examples aren't quite the best with his last two attempts, so take what you see there with a grain of salt. "

sigh.... I know about the quality of my characters. What i want to show however is the format of the character sheets that i have made. (Here is the name, there is the character description, and over there is the.....)

The Great Nevareh

Re: Ouch

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:22 pm

I'm not quite sure how to take this sudden insult to someone who was just trying to help. How does it damage his credibility at all if the examples he gave for format have questionable content?

Oh, never mind! I'm not going to try to start a flame war on my first day, and it doesn't really matter.

Edited by: The Great Nevareh at: 4/6/04 11:48 pm

wkz

Thanks... i think...

Unread postby wkz » Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:48 pm

quote: "I'm not quite sure how to take this sudden insult to someone who was just trying to help. How does it damage his credibility at all if the examples he gave for format have questionable content?"

lets just say I'm about as new to this board as you are. I think the only major difference between us is I took approximately one week of lurking in the character closet before i made "Klaus". Uncle Pervy has a point: he does not want to let you think my (failed )characters are the types you should create here.

My suggestion to you, then, is to go back and think through your character again. Split your descriptions into nicely manageable areas (each under a shiny title). This is expecially so for character abilities. Then re-post, and ask for comments.

edit: ........................................ I'll shut up now
*goes to the corner*

Edited by: [url=http://b3.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=wkz@rpgww60462>wkz</A] at: 4/7/04 11:22 am

Banjooie

Unread postby Banjooie » Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:57 am

Diran: ...Okay. I think you've misunderstood our good friend Captain Pervy here.

Fenron: Certainly have. He didn't say that there was anything wrong with the character, not at all.

Diran: All he said was put it into a good template. The freestyle template on the website works great for that, really. Yes, he may be non-combat, and heck, you can build Philsys for non-combat characters easily. Techs aren't all about killing, y'know...but anyway.

Fenron: Why is wkz even /talking/ in this thread? <p><Chat> <Matto says, "What's up?"
<Chat> <Prince_Herb says, "Angst."
<Chat> <Prince_Herb says, "Drama."
<Chat> <Prince_Herb says, "Betrayal."
<Chat> <Prince_Herb says, "Plushies."</p>

The Great Nevareh

!!!?

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:41 pm

No, I never said Pervy was saying anything about *ME.* I said that he was saying something unwarrantedly derogatory about someone who was only trying to *help* me, hence wkz. Why the unexplained animosity over what appears to be absolutely nothing?

Archmage144

Re: !!!?

Unread postby Archmage144 » Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:47 pm

I have no idea.

Pervy, seriously, less hard on people in other people's introduction threads. o_o;;;;

And you and I have already corresponded. Hello, and welcome to the forum! <p>
<div style="text-align:center">Image</div>

</p>

Szlapka

I like it.

Unread postby Szlapka » Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:23 am

Nice character concept, very interesting. I don't think i've seen any non-fighting artisans in the closet at all. I question how you can use in him in RP, but I can see how other could if you allowed to be used as an NPC.

Wkz: heck man, i'm in the same boat as you (especially with my first character) on the whole problem with creation. There are a couple problems with overpower between your characters, but your guys have good personalities and background, that I can respect.

Banjooie

Unread postby Banjooie » Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:05 pm

Fenron: Y'know what's sad, AM? If you've ever tried to apply for some of the serious RP MU*...Pervy's /nothing/. Some of 'em expect apps up to 30k long.

Vampire Jester Jinx

Hey there!

Unread postby Vampire Jester Jinx » Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:52 pm

Beep! And welcome! Character seems groovy. Have a pineapple on the house! :D <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

FlamingDeth

Re: .

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:54 pm

Hey Jooie, guess where we're not!

Also: Hello, Nevareh. <p>
<hr width="70%"><center>Superion, Autobot air gestalt, recently died protecting Los Angeles from a nuclear missile. Rest in peace. :(</center></p>

The Great Nevareh

?

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:38 pm

Just because someone doesn't fight doesn't mean they aren't alive. The fact that he doesn't have the capacity to fight means just that- he doesn't fight. What prevents someone who doesn't fight from interacting?

pd Rydia

Re: ?

Unread postby pd Rydia » Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:48 pm

I don't think most people here have any problems with the character being non-combat oriented. In fact, when you emailed Archmage asking if you could make such, he mentioned it in chat, and there was much rejoicing. Tis a nice change of pace. We certainly have enough interaction-based RPs in chats to RP such a character in. <p>
<center>Image</center></p>

The Great Nevareh

Tah-daaah!

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:59 pm

Okay, now this goes up as a question before people throw rocks at me...

What happens next? Do I wait for an invite? Do I search for active RPs? Do I try to breed my own race of peartree by using different breeds in hitherto-unthought of ways?
Am I allowed to create another character for Philsys use? (I already sent the character prototype to Archmage, I think. I haven't heard back from him, which tells me that my feeble attempt at character creation under Philsys is to be laughed at and spurned for its overall hideousness. Or that he hasn't read it yet.)

All of this information is probably on the website somewhere, but I'm too stupid and ditzy to look for it. Or something like that.

pd Rydia

Re: Tah-daaah!

Unread postby pd Rydia » Fri Apr 09, 2004 8:04 pm

Well, you get yourself into the main AIM RPGWW Chat and ask if there's an RP chat going on. If there is, great, ask for an invite! Most RP chats are open for any and all RPers to join (some are plotted and closed, however).

However, lately AIM has been having problems with sucking. If the AIM chat is abandoned, try going into the IRC chat. There's directions on how to get into the IRC chat from a sticky post in the spam forum. Someone from there can tell you if there's an RP chat going on or not, and how to get in it.

Now, board RPs. Almost all board RPs are plotted and closed. The way to get in on these are during the recruitment phase. A thread will, typically, be posted in the OOC forum, describing the RP and looking for RPers and possibly their character sheets. Application takes place, and acceptance and/or rejection, and then the RP begins later on.

And that's how it works, basically. <p>
<center>Image</center></p>

Return to Character Closet