Arvad (My First Character)

Character sheet archiving. Help with characters can be solicited here. This is also the place to talk Philsys or other RPing systems.
Jason Sanborn

Arvad (My First Character)

Unread postby Jason Sanborn » Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:10 pm

Name: Arvad (Means: Wanderer)
RPer: Jason Sanborn
Race: Half-Elf (Wood Elf)
BDay: 3/15/1250
Height: 5'8"
Eye Color: Emerald Green
Hair Color: Light Brown

Description:
Arvad has light skin and boyish features. His body is thin but very well toned. When he travels, he often does so with a brownish-green hooded cloak, that he often has drawn over his head, shadowing his face. Even with his face shadowed, his emerald green eyes often catch the glow of the light, and will sparkle with the light. His hair is straight and light brown in color. He does not cut his hair short, but allows its length to flow to the middle of his back.

Skills:
Move silently and keep hidden in natural surroundings.
Knowledge of plants and animals (for hunting, foraging, and medicinal purposes).
Archery
Swordsmanship
Swimming
Sewing and Leather working (used for making clothing and furs out of hides, etc)
First Aid (including making some medicines out of plants)

Standard Equipment:
Leather and padded clothing. Brownish-green hooded traveling cloak. Soft leather boots. Magic long bow (unbreakable bow, nothing else special). Quiver of 20 arrows. Long sword with elven engravings on blade. Hunting knife. Belt pouch with various cooking seasonings. Belt pouch containing flint and steel. Larger belt pack containing leather working and sewing materials. Belt pouch for coins.

Personality:
Arvad is a loner. He travels from town to town, selling his hides and leathers for money. He survives of the land, with what he hunts and forages. He tends to be quiet and reserved, and is often times viewed with suspicion. Despite this, he does desire the attention, but has become accustomed to living a solitary life, never staying on one place too long. Being good at heart, he will not stand by when evil is being done, at the same time, he prefers not to involve himself too deeply in the affairs on men.

Background:
Arvad's mother was a wood elf, he never knew his father. No one ever told him anything about his father, other than he was human. Any questions that Arvad may have had about him, were always left unanswered.

When Arvad was still a youth, his mother died. The cause of her death was unexplained, and like the mystery of his father, his questions about the cause of her death were never answered. Even in a society where humans and half-elves were tolerated, Arvad was looked upon with suspicion, and was often seen as a pariah.

When Arvad was of age, he left his home village. Upon leaving the village, he left his birth name behind, as a part of his past he never wished to return to. He began to refer to himself from that time forward as Arvad, a name which meant "Wanderer." From that time forward, Arvad lived off the land, hunting and foraging for food. He traveled from town to town, selling the furs, hides, and leathers he made. Never staying in one region for long, he lived up to his new name, forever being a wanderer.

Edited by: Jason Sanborn at: 3/9/05 17:30

Uncle Pervy

Re: Arvad (My First Character)

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:45 pm

www.ehow.com/how_15420_ch...rking.html

At the bottom: Things you'll need.

For personal use, he'd not need most of it if he's willing to sacrifice comfort. However, he'd have trouble trying to sell it. Curing said leather would be more of a problem if he's wandering, all he could do would be to dry the skins, and no one would want to buy that thanks to professional leatherworkers who produce superior quality stuff using more advanced methods.

Dia's summed it up quite nicely in other respects. In general, it's better to focus on non-combat rather than combat around here. We don't do random encounters and the like very often, and tend to focus more on RPing and making a good story.

I'd suggest having a glance at the map and the national descriptions, and ponder out where he's been.

Edit: More info on leather! www.hewit.com/sd1-leat.htm :D <p>---------------------------

Your are not supposed to be reading this!</p>Edited by: Uncle Pervy at: 3/9/05 16:46

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:34 pm

I need to fix that link on the site. It still lists Gaera as in the year 1313. :(

• world_gaera.html <-- lots of info! More than you need at the moment!
• gaera_maps.html <-- maps!
• gaera_nations.html <-- A brief overview of nations, with links to national maps and more detailed backgrounds. (If information isn't listed, it might or might not still be in the works, or I might need to get off m'arse and get it on th'site. You can simply ask about th'status and get an answer, if'n need be.)
• gaera_natlhistories.html <-- That thar is the big list of national bgs an' such. It's big. The gaera_nations.html page links to specific entries (have to wait for the whole page to load for it to take you to the right entry). But if you ever have a LOT of time on your hands... :D

••• map_pdrydia_gaera6.gif <-- World map (incomplete, natch). Your character is not going to know all of these continents, if he knows of any besides Igala (blue continent).

•••

The continent of Igala (mostly complete). How much geography your character knows of Igala depends on how much he socializes, listens in, studies, travels, et cetera.

Complete and accurate maps of Igala are not easily available to the general populace--there may be some in the libraries of the capital cities of the more affluent nations. Most Domans know the general location of Valth, Riva, Doma, Nekonia, and Inustan (Shuman Mountains, Forbidden <s>Planes</s> Plains, Val'ri Sea). The more knowledgeable even know about Baron, Kalshana, Therney, and/or even the Woodlands!

•••

Crude maps of Doma are available all over ze place. :0 All of those cities marked have backstory to some degree or another (having appeared in RPs or somesuch).

••••• Bes's (JasonBwhatever) RP takes place in Doma. If'n yer character is half-elf, he may be from Kalshana (Elfland!) or nearby. Elves are known to migrate--everyone loves them some migratin' goodness. A whole town of elves doesn't happen too often in Doma, to my knowledge, but it could happen, with good reason. I could see it happening outside of country lines, as well. <p>
<div style="text-align:center">"Pants are bad!!! We should wear pants only on our head you conformist bastard!!! Pants are the devils work!! Run freee!! And pantless!!!" -- Vulture</div>
</p>Edited by: pd Rydia&nbsp; Image at: 3/9/05 17:39

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:35 pm

The skills work, technically, but as an entry-level character, keep in mind most of those skills are going to be pretty weak. I would consider dropping one of the forms of fighting, as three forms of fighting (archery, knife throwing, swordsmanship) is overkill at this RP board. If you ever convert to philsys, which you may well at one point, it will be extra difficult to keep up.

Gms don't tend to PK around here (though Pervy likes to play around with the PCs before letting them go) so you don't need to worry about that. We try to keep the skill levels about even between characters to keep it all balanced-like and whatnot. It's also neat to have it so characters can improve (and fuck up) in different skills and whatnot.

As a technical note, I'm not sure how big a pack would need to be to contain the materials needed for leather working. I do a bit of beading, myself, and I need a large box to keep all that stuff in--have no idea what tools and materials are needed for leatherworking, though. Unless you're referring to just some stuff he works on elsewhere, and keeps on him to sell elsewhere. :0

Background is a bit cliche, but workable. Cliche isn't all that uncommon (*cough cough Dia cough*). The more you learn about the world and do things in RPs, you'll be able to fill out that background with details and whatnot, giving your character motivationaladealies to do stuff. It's neat.

Last note, if Arvad's a loner, consider what will get him to interact with others--it's not cool to always rely on everyone else to pull you into RPs.

And thar ya be. =O <p>
<div style="text-align:center">"Pants are bad!!! We should wear pants only on our head you conformist bastard!!! Pants are the devils work!! Run freee!! And pantless!!!" -- Vulture</div>
</p>

Jason Sanborn

Unread postby Jason Sanborn » Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:12 pm

Knife throwing and archery were established for the hunting aspect rather than the combat. It seemed to make sense for the type of character I was playing. Bow for large game, and knives for small game. If still thought to be overkill for this RP, I'll remove the knife throwing. ;)

Yes, it is pretty a cliche background, I admit that, but the vague background is easiest to get up and running when you are just getting used to a scenario.

Regarding the leather working. As is obvious, I'm no expert. I'll take the hard leather out of his skills, and leave it at soft leathers and hides, which should be easier to work with, and require less to carry around. As to the selling aspect, perhaps there is something that could make his unique, even if it isn't as high of quality. Perhaps the cost difference (lower price) could help him?

In regards to interaction. I realize he is a loner, which puts a challenge up for getting introduced, but I'm used to playing this type of character and getting them involved. I'll probably refine that part of his personality a bit. Maybe he's not necessarily a loner by choice, but more by circumstance.

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:17 pm

By circumstance seems to be easier to work with.

If you really want to take it a step further, perhaps he is fairly starved for contact with someone that can talk back.

Also: Knives are terrible for hunting. For small game, you want to leave traps. And if work comes to worst, using arrows just means rabbit on a stick. <p>---------------------------

Your are not supposed to be reading this!</p>

Jason Sanborn

Unread postby Jason Sanborn » Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:27 pm

That's good then. I'll remove the knife throwing to balance things out more. See how much I know? ;)

I like the idea that he's starved for attention. Since he usually isn't well received, he doesn't usually get the attention, and usually he doesn't stay in one place long enough to get to know people.

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:38 pm

I believe Smilidale has a bit of elven influence, if it's the town that our Dan made. <p>---------------------------

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:40 pm

My mind screams Divtown, but now you have me doubting my infallible memory. *shakes fist!*

Fark you, I'mma go eat fish, chips, and cheesecake at Big Boy's. :[ <p>
</p>

Jason Sanborn

Unread postby Jason Sanborn » Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:50 pm

In order to fit the background a little more, Arvad is from a tribe, as opposed to a village. That way it fits with the migration for the elves of the region.

Arvad has traveled to various towns and villages within Doma. His knowledge would be limited to that.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:59 pm

Daien (Dan) and Caen sound correct in my mind.

Div is a schmidgmiester!

[edit]

If Arvad is travelled in Doma, he'll know of the capital (Doma City!), the current royalty (Charles Domanada the whatever, kingsey, (human, likes him some turbans) and the queen, Aya du Mythril Domanada--a dragon! An offworlder dragon, actually, and a former mercenary. And hero. And liker of dragonale. Likely the source of all manner of various rumors, from awesome to fucked up. Doma is a monarchy, natch.

Mention of the queen may or may not bring up Riva, the northern neighbor. Dragoons. Mean ones. They like to hunt dragons. Meanies. :'( Ryuugami is not pleased. These dragoons don't hold political power in Riva anymore...theoretically.

Baronian dragoons are much nicer.

Doma trades with Nekonia (cat people onoes) liberally but that wouldn't be talked about too much except towards the south (where you might see some of those Nekonians!), the capital (where Nekonians are every-fucking-where), and here and there scattered about. <p>
</p>Edited by: pd Rydia&nbsp; Image at: 3/9/05 19:06

Divinegon2130

Unread postby Divinegon2130 » Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:15 pm

Dia is correct, I'm the one that made Smiildale. I believe Dan instead made Caen.

If I'm wrong, he should speak up.

Anyway, I have nothing to add regarding the character itself, since the most major points have probably all been addressed. <p>

<span style="font-size:medium;"> Quotes of the Moment: </span> <span style="font-size:xx-small;">

=="....and I must have missed a step or two - or five." - Fuzzfas, Trynnie Alchemist (from Wizardry 8)
=="Great work, Prof! Now find me something to punch." Reese, from the comic 'Dinosaurs for Hire'

View my online journal here.
Also, if you have a question about my characters, look here.
And I've been having image trouble, so those are out for a while. </span></p>

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:06 pm

Caen!

That's it.

Sorry Div. Seldom referenced towns and all :( <p>---------------------------

Zemyla

Unread postby Zemyla » Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:24 am

Jason Sanborn

Unread postby Jason Sanborn » Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:28 pm

LOL!

I like that map. ;)

Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!

Unread postby Spleen » Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:56 pm

That's a product of our Mike, a.k.a. the immortal Koss.

Also: You're going to want to tone down your use of "LOL", unless you're making fun of people who use it regularly. You'll see soon enough. <p>__-__-__-__-__-__

"I'm just a guy with a boomerang. I didn't ask for all this flying, and this magic..."
-Sokka, Avatar

"Screw normal, because if you're normal, the crowd will accept you, but if you're deranged, the crowd will make you their leader."
-Christopher Titus</p>

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:35 pm

Common Internet Acronyms (AKA Lamerisms) are not held in regard here, save when been used tongue in cheek. <p>---------------------------

Zemyla

Unread postby Zemyla » Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:04 pm

LOL! You're right! <p>-----
Do not taunt Happy Fun Zemyla.

<span style="font-size:xx-small;">I think boobs are the lesser of two evils. - Inverse (Pervy)
Dammit, Dan, I'm not dating a damn NPC! - OOC Will (Will Baseton)
Of course! Anything worth doing is worth doing completely wrong! - Travis English
Ultimately, wizards and clerics don't say, "Gee, I want to become a lich because weapons hurt less and I don't have to worry about being backstabbed; that whole 'eternal life' thing is just a fringe benefit."-Darklion
But this one time I killed a walrus with my bare hands, and I suddenly understood spherical coordinates. - KnightsofSquare</span>

Brotherhood of Elitist Bastards</p>

Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:17 pm

Shut up, you. <p>
<div style="text-align:center">What's wrong with this ring?!</div></p>

NebulaQueen

Unread postby NebulaQueen » Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:33 pm

Actually, brb and afk are pretty acceptable when in chat, since they can be useful. I don't see that becoming an issue on the board, though. <p>

"My naturally quivering state makes any display of fear deliciously arbitrary" - Manowar Leader, Scary-Go-Round</p>

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:09 pm

Most are acceptable (i.e.: brb, afk, wb, wtf, omg, etc. etc.). Shorthand has gone through a slow process of acceptance. However, there's a long-standing hatred of "lol." :(

<p>
</p>

Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!

Unread postby Spleen » Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:59 pm

There's also a long-standing hatred of pants, as you can plainly see from Dia's signature. <p>__-__-__-__-__-__

"I'm just a guy with a boomerang. I didn't ask for all this flying, and this magic..."
-Sokka, Avatar

"Screw normal, because if you're normal, the crowd will accept you, but if you're deranged, the crowd will make you their leader."
-Christopher Titus</p>

Return to Character Closet