An old face by a new name stopping by...

Character sheet archiving. Help with characters can be solicited here. This is also the place to talk Philsys or other RPing systems.
YigSnakeDaddy

An old face by a new name stopping by...

Unread postby YigSnakeDaddy » Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:02 am

I used to hang out here a lot. Back then I was called Greywolf. Of course, I'd be surprised if anybody remembers me...

Anyway, it's kind of nice seeing the community still around. I'm thinking of getting back into it, so I've recreated an old character I really liked from a freestyle fantasy setting under the Philsys rules. I thought I'd post him here and see what people think.

Name: Amrufel Firestorm
Height: 6'
Weight: 176 lbs
Hair: Blue
Eyes: Orange

Personality: Amrufel has great potential as the son of a dragon and an elven sorceress, but he fears his own power which holds him back. His own mental insecurities hinder every facet of his life. For example, though blessed with stunning good looks and a prodigious intelligence, he has an intense feeling of social anxiety that makes it almost impossible for him to interact with others, particularly women whom he has had some... unfortunate encounters with.

Almost paradoxically, he believes that one must have passion to exist. Everything he does is done with passion. And yet the effect is often dulled or minimized by his insecurities and self-doubt causing him to stumble or falter.

Despite his bizarre personal issues, Amrufel is loyal to a fault and his heart is that of a warrior-poet. He utilizes his gift of magical power to its fullest while also training his body as much as he can as well.

Appearance: Amrufel's lean frame makes him look taller than he actually is. His features are delicate and chiseled and he carries an otherwordly, alluring air about him as one would expect from an elf. But upon closer inspection, it is apparent that there is more to him than meets the eye.

His eyes are a bright orange, and his hair, tied at the nape of the neck with a gold silk ribbon, is dark blue. His fingers are unusually long and end in small black talons that make it difficult for him to perform complex feats of manual dexterity such as lockpicking and legerdemain.

If one were to remove his shirt, they would see that most of his torso is covered in blue scales flecked with gold instead of normal skin. On the underside of his forearms grow reptillian fins that stretch from the wrist to the elbow. These fins typically flair out when Amrufel is upset, angered, or similarly distressed.

Growing from his back are a pair of draconic wings, though they are ill-suited to extended flight. Amrufel typically uses these to augment a jump, glide short distances, and aid in breaking a fall. In most cases, he simply keeps them folded up neatly against his back.

Amrufel typically dresses in loose-fitting, fine clothing. His usual outfit is a pair of buckskin boots, loose-fitting black trousers and sash, and a baggy blue silk shirt. He never wears armor as he feels it is too restrictive and interferes with spellcasting. His scimitar is always at one hip, and his satchel of reagents and spell components always at the other.

Background: Amrufel was born of a grey elven mother named Shaana'hara in a city-state in northern Kal'thara, but his father was a selfish and greedy fire dragon named Vohr who desired her. Despite Shaana'hara's powerful magic, she was no match for Vohr who abducted her under the guise of another elf.

By the time Shaana'hara's family mounted a rescue, it was too late. Vohr had already violated her. He was driven away from the land and never seen there again, said to have moved to new lands he could ravage to sate his greed.

But the story didn't end there. Shaana'hara soon learned that she was pregnant, and at first her family wished to dispose of the unborn child. But the sorcereress insisted on keeping her progeny and later that year, Amrufel was born.

Amrufel, in addition to having draconic blood, was touched by his mother's magic in the womb. As his features developed, it seemed the only way one could tell that the horrible fire dragon Vohr was the father was Amrufel's bright orange eyes which looked exactly like Vohr's.

Young Amrufel displayed an early aptitude for magic and a love of swordplay. He progressed quickly in his classes, but his natural talents and bastard lineage made him an object of scorn among the other children and their parents. Amrufel found himself bullied constantly and treated as something to be either feared or hated. He was afraid to fight back however. He was naturally stronger and more magically inclined than his peers, making it very easy to accidentally hurt someone. This lead to his eventual social anxiety complex. To this day, he still cannot look a woman in the eye without turning bright red and stuttering uncontrollably whenever he speaks.

When Amrufel was just growing into a strong young man, his mother suddenly took ill and passed away. Without the influence of Shaana'hara, the elves soon turned on the half-dragon and exiled him from their city-state with nothing but the clothes on his back and enough supplies to get to the nearest human settlement. But chances didn't look very bright there either.

Amrufel did what he could to hide his lineage. In most cases, he was able to pass himself off as a particularly strange elf. But his guise would eventually slip and he would have to move on. He currently resides in Inan where there are enough foreigners around to allow him to move about undetected relatively easily.

During this time Amrufel became ashamed of his heritage. He came to loathe his father whom he had never met, and decided that he would find and slay the beast for his crimes. Amrufel would somehow prove to the world that he was not his father. Somehow, he would live as his mother wanted him to. If only he knew where to start...

--Basics--
Name: Amrufel Firestorm
RPer: YigSnakeDaddy
Race: Half-elf/Half-dragon
Level: 1
XP: 0/1000
Max HP: 55
Max MP: 85
Max TP: 20
Initiative: 7+2d6

--Attributes--
Courage: +3
Wisdom: +4
Intuition: +3
Charisma: -1
Agility: +3
Dexterity: 0
Strength: +2
Stamina: +0
Magic: 5

Base AT/PA - 12/12

-=-Scimitar-=-

Weapon Damage - Scimitar
Thrusting - 9+1d6
Slashing- 15+2d4
Chopping - 18+2d6

--Skills--
[k]Draconic Lore +4
[k]Elemental Melding +4
[k]Foreign Languages +3
[k]Herb Knowledge +1

[s]Element Melding- <Mag> +4
[s]Magic Resistance- <Cou/Int/Mag> +4

Dragon Magic- <Mag/Wis/Int> +4
Elemental Magic- <Mag/Wish/Int> +4
Fire Magic - <Mag/Wis/Int> +4
Flight - [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=yigsnakedaddy>YigSnakeDaddy</A:] at: 11/1/04 7:41 pm
[/i]

Uncle Pervy

Re: An old face by a new name stopping by...

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:39 am

Heyo!

A note that may be very important.

-2 Charisma means that people are going to hate him after like three minutes. Restuarant workers will spit in his food. He will be given the lousiest room in an inn. People will punch him in the head given decent provocation. Gods forbid he ever have trouble with the law or someone of power. He will have no luck convincing others unless a lot of facts are on his side.

Most importantly: No one is going to want him in their party. At all.

Not saying you can't do it. Just be aware.

<p>-------------------------------------
Image</p>

Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:43 am

Yeah, that sounds about right. <p>
<div style="text-align:center">Image</div>
<div style="text-align:center">M-m-mist f-form!</div></p>

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:00 am

I remember you, sonny! *waves cane*

Well, a few notes before I drop off for the night, I suppose.

One, that's a unique dragonhalf design.

Two, and not really too important; I doubt he'd weight that little--even with a light elven frame, those wings would probably weigh a good 35-40 pounds. I just considered this fact for my own dragonhalf, actually. At a height of 5'1" Enlil has a wingspan of around 14' so if you wanted to work that out, you could go from there.

His courage should probably be knocked down a few, considering that he's not brave in social situations (part of courage), and his charisma should be knocked up a few, considering that he's handsome (part of charisma). The stats are to reflect the character, naturally.

No skill can start off past 4, so those couple ones you have at 6 will need to drop down to 4.

Also, the dragons of Gaera don't really do the whole concubine thing--I'm not sure where they'd get the idea, as it's not part of their culture, and they don't really have anything to do with other cultures much. Rape, sure, I could see a few of them doing that--quite possibly a Rai (insane--I can get you more information about that) dragon. Don't need to be that explicit by any means, but you can get the idea across without so many words.

Also, as a dragonhalf of Gaera, Amrufel would have a full dragon form. If he doesn't learn (or already know) a way to transform into it, and do so on a moderately regular basis, bad stuff happens. In a manner of speaking, if he doesn't indulge his dragon side, it will indulge itself...without his permission or control. It will wear itself out, but if this happens repeatedly, that whole Rai thing will happen. <p>
<center><small>"We are just poor, wandering corn farmers..."
</p>

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:29 am

You can start at 6. It is the cap, though. <p>-------------------------------------
Image</p>

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:36 am

Dia's talking about skills, not stats, Pervy.

Anyhow, I agree on the charisma front. Siphoning off a few points of courage seems to be the way to go. <p>KnightsofSquare: DarkLordKelne is a tomboy bunnygirl, jealous of the business successes of her 37 older brothers, she is pursuing her own business degree in hopes of someday initiating a hostile takeover against her brothers' corporations.</p>

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:10 am

Dammit! I almost faked literacy, too!

Damn your eyes, Kelne! <p>-------------------------------------
Image</p>

YigSnakeDaddy

Unread postby YigSnakeDaddy » Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:46 am

Imagine my surprise to check in this morning and see that someone actually remembered me.

Anyway, I'll work on fixing things up later today. What you see now is pretty much a straight adaptation of the original character, sans the raw power he possessed.

The original Amrufel, as I said, was from a freestyle RPG. He had enough magical and physical power to waste a decent-sized militia on his own. But he was so terrified of his own power that he became a pacifist, refusing to use violence in any way except to protect either himself or the lives of those he cared about.

It's been so long that I don't remember much about the setting you guys use. If you can give me a reference guide, that would be great. I tried to keep my story as generic as possible to avoid any contradictions or mishaps, but it seemed to happen anyway. I'll rewrite it later on to accomodate for setting.

I'll also adjust his stats a little. At the time, I wanted him to have high courage because even though he has a social anxiety disorder, he is still very capable of standing up for himself. He's been victimized his whole life so he eventually learned that which was does not kill you makes you stronger. But I suppose I should knock it down a point or two.

The charisma like I said before is a reflection of his social skills. He simply can't talk to people, strangers and women in particular. It goes back to the victimization thing. But I'll consider setting it to -1. I know charisma is partially based on appearance, but that one no good when you can't look at people without turning beat red and stuttering like a diesel engine.

I'll also work on fixing out the details on his draconic blood and full-dragon form tonight as well. This could also possibly be a part of his exile. In his transformed state, everyone simply felt that he could be trusted even less than they already did.

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=yigsnakedaddy>YigSnakeDaddy</A] at: 11/1/04 11:01 am

Elementalist Daien

Unread postby Elementalist Daien » Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:24 am

Hm.

Upon inspection, I think the Charisma -2 is based on the fact that he has no social skills whatsoever!

Which may or may not be a good point. Perhaps Cha -1 would work, if that.

I highly doubt anyone would spit in some guy's meal just because he's shy. :(

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:42 pm

Actually, Ducky has defined 1 as average. Stat defs, Pervy. They've been on the site ever since someone asked for them, a while back. Might need some adjusting, but Charisma is definitely both looks and the ability to persuade people--because people are persuaded by looks, too.

Also, as for a guide on Gaera: ahoy hoy <p>
</p>Edited by: pd Rydia&nbsp; Image at: 11/1/04 4:45 pm

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:13 pm

Charisma is based mostly off of force of personality, rather than attractiveness. It's a measure of how likely one is to convince another on the basis of how they use their words and expressions. At zero charisma, a character is average. When going into negatives, it represents of personal strength. Not only does the person have a hard time of getting others to accept him, he himself will have a harder time resisting the arguments of the charismatic. He'll be easy to convince, and to dupe. <p>-------------------------------------
Image</p>

YigSnakeDaddy

Unread postby YigSnakeDaddy » Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:44 pm

That does sound like Amrufel. His complete lack of social skills are not only reflected in his inability to talk to others, but also his inability to read others. When I first started playing him, he did get duped and taken advantage of several times. It took a few trials and some nurturing from his friends to get him to develop a more forceful personality.

It's not that Amrufel is a fool. Just that he has the tact of a child.

I'll edit the character sheet after dinner tonight. I still want to put a little more thought into this.

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:41 pm

Says on there that zero is average. I suppose I have to relent a bit on persuasiveness vs. beauty, though. <p>-------------------------------------
Image</p>

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:02 pm

Really? That has changed, then, from what it used to be. Blah. o.o <p>
</p>

YigSnakeDaddy

Unread postby YigSnakeDaddy » Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:42 pm

Okay, fixed the stats and touched up the backstory to fit into the setting a little better.

How does it look?

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:56 pm

Firstly, welcome back. What's it been, 2 years or so?

Anyway, looking at the skills I notice you don't have any spells for Elemental Magic and Dragon Magic. Also, I'm not sure what each of them does. <s>Elemental magic, as a normal skill, would probably involve manipulating the elements, such as causing a camp fire to leap onto someone and ignite their clothing, or to call down a thunderbolt during a storm. If you're looking for something that'd help you manipulate fire and ice magic I'd take a look at Hakaril's sheet which has a skill called "Elemental Melding" on it.</s> Just noticed an unlabeled tech, so I know what you're trying to do with this now. Whoops!

As for Dragon Magic I've seen this before under different names and it tends to be used as a "catch all" branch of magic. You should explain what sort of spells that school of magic grants or, if you don't have a firm idea of the progression of spells for it, describe what energies it manipulates.

Jump Attack needs a skill assigned to it (I'm guessing flight).

On a final note I like the warmth and coldness spells you've got there. I think the MP cost might be a tad too high, but then again I'm not familiar at all with temperatures in Fahrenheit, so I have no idea how extreme the temperate each spell can resist is.

YigSnakeDaddy

Unread postby YigSnakeDaddy » Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:06 pm

Uh... about 2 years, yeah. Wow.

The Elemental Magic and Dragon Magic skills are interesting. They sounded appropriate to the character, so I figured I'd put them down until I got more information and make the necessary adjustments from there. In other words, I was hoping someone could tell me what they do.

I'll think of something though. This stat sheet is going to go through a lot of changes in the next few days.

I'll do some more research into magic tomorrow morning and see what I can come up with. The Warmth and Cold spells I found on a reference guide linked in one of the sticky threads.

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:09 pm

You know, I have never, ever heard of or seen anything that says that low Cha = gullible. Anywhere. Ever. Since when would how charismatic you are determine how easy it is for people to trick you? I could be an ugly, ugly jerk with a Cha of -3 (not that I am, I'm a sexy sexy jerk), and I could still have a level head and know when people are trying to trick me. I would use Int as a measure of gullibility. <p>
<hr width="70%"><center>This month's "Transformer of the Month" is Pipes! He turns into a truck, and his primary function is not taking out the trash.</center></p>

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:12 pm

A combination of Int and Wis, I'd say. Being perceptive enough to tell that something's up and being wise enough in the ways of the world to spot something fishy.

YigSnakeDaddy

Unread postby YigSnakeDaddy » Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:25 pm

I see. The way I originally roleplayed it, Amrufel was just so socially inept he didn't know what signs to look for that someone was trying to trick him.

But I suppose in this incarnation, he learned from his abuse as a child certain signs that someone didn't have his best interest at heart.

NebulaQueen

Unread postby NebulaQueen » Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:35 pm

Actually, I'm with FD. I always thought that opposing Charisma rolls were a bit strange, outside of an arguement. If two people are espousing opposing viewpoints, then opposing Charisma rolls make more sense.

Other than that, I have nothing to say right now that hasn't already been said. I'd like to see this character in action, myself; he seems interesting. <p>

*Megaman sounds like a little girl*-Uncle Pervy, on the Voice Acting in MM8

"Well, we've made it to Leeds without being robbed or violated. We win at time traveling!" - Shelley, Scary-Go-Round</p>

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:29 pm

Because some people are just easily cowed. You don't need facts or even logic to get them to shut up and stay in line. You just have to seem convincing.

A successful attempt to persuade via charisma doesn't need to be correct to work (though it certainly helps). It just gives the impression that the person doing so seems that way, that he's confident in his convinctions. Simply put, it's done via force of personality. That's what charisma is, force of personality. High charisma is the ability to use force of personality effectively, and to recognize when others are doing so.

Obviously, it's going to be very bloody hard to convince someone that an obvious fact is wrong. Attempts to persuade via charisma are most common in a situation where there is no clear right or wrong answer. That's when seeming right, and sounding confident are important. when convincing, that is at least as important as facts.

If having charisma is the abiity to do that, then lacking it should represent something of a vulnerability to it, I would think. Negative charisma is when one simply cannot find the proper way to project what they want to say, and what they mean. As such, when someone isn't good at it, they aren't going to be very good at resisting it. The person is just going to seem right. They'll doubt their own arguments; after all, he seems right and they just can't make it work.
<p>-------------------------------------
Image</p>Edited by: Uncle Pervy&nbsp; Image at: 11/1/04 10:34 pm

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:29 am

*nods* The background seems a go except for one tiny detail--the continent of Ka'thalar isn't RPed on, and is supposed to be completely isolated. However, that was for GMy purposes that have since been abandoned by the creator of the continent, Archmage, so you can chat it up with him, if'n ye'd like.

Most RPs take place on the continent of Igala; Argovia is the next popular continent, followed by Prandia. Chuushima has also been used a few times, if I'm not mistaken. Others haven't been used because of their creators' wishes, or in the case of Becold, wacky backgrounds.

That reminds me...

*toddles off* <p>
</p>

YigSnakeDaddy

Unread postby YigSnakeDaddy » Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:41 am

I'll take a look at Igala and Argovia in the morning and see what I can work out. I really feel like a newbie here all over again (which given the 2-year hiatus isn't too far from the truth) so I don't want to step on any toes... Yet...

Archmage144

Unread postby Archmage144 » Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:11 pm

I should note, for the reference of a lot of the low-CHA knockers, that Hakaril's CHA score was -2 to start out with, and has improved to a whole -1. The only reason anyone can put up with him at all is that they get to know him or are more or less forced to feign respect for him--complete strangers still see him as irrational, hot-headed, arrogant, and a real prick, which he is.

-2 CHA is not necessarily a red neon "twink" sign, and it doesn't mean everyone is going to hate you automatically, forever, and without remorse. It just means most people are not going to like you because of some personality flaw (or flaws). Precisely how that is described is up to you, but the point is that charisma is a very nebulous concept in the first place. If your character has relatively high intuition and wisdom, but low CHA (anywhere in the -2 to 0 range, really), he's probably just an arrogant jackass. Is he totally unlikeable? No. But he's probably going to have some antisocial tendencies, like being a know-it-all.

Just a few thoughts. <p>
<div style="text-align:center">Image</div>

</p>

YigSnakeDaddy

Unread postby YigSnakeDaddy » Tue Nov 02, 2004 4:10 pm

I see where you're coming from, but Amrufel's low charisma comes from several things.

For one, he's genuinely ashamed to be his father's bastard son. Having been victimized his whole life, he cannot understand why anyone would try to bully and exploit others. What kind of mind would actually desire to actively cause pain and suffering? He's determined to prove to the world that he is not his father, but he's still ashamed of the fact that Vohr's blood is in his veins and tends to be very self-deprecating.

As a result of his self-esteem issues, he doesn't have a very commanding presence. He still bears an otherwordly air as you would an expect from an elf or dragon, but he doesn't inspire any particular sense of majesty or confidence. In fact, he typically appears very detached and enigmatic, leading people to wonder if he has something hide (which isn't far from the truth).

Throw in his previously-mentioned social anxiety complex, and his situation just gets even worse. He's become introverted, shy, socially awkward, and he possesses the tact of a child.

So as you can see, his low charisma doesn't come from an over-inflated ego as is usually the case with people of his intelligence, but rather his lack of one.

YigSnakeDaddy

Unread postby YigSnakeDaddy » Sun Nov 07, 2004 5:39 pm

Okay, after giving it some more thought, I've decided Elemental Magic will basically be the skill that allows him to cast generic element-based spells that have no particular elemental affinity. Create Element for example. No particular affinity, but still falls under the category of elemental magic... I need some synonyms for "element."

Dragon Magic took a little more time to figure out. I ultimately came to the decision that these spells are basically magic that functions only if one possesses draconic blood and have affects pertaining to that. I considered some spell effects and came up with a short list of examples:

-augment attack power of a breath weapon or talons
-create a magical affinity with a chosen location (lair)
-grant a temporary boost in appraisal ability (for hoards)
-temporarily grant wings a magical aura that allows them to be used as slashing weapons in flight
-target of the spell becomes edible (for when livestock is scarce)
-project an aura of fear or majesty (choice)

There are more possibilities, but I figured I'd see what you guys think first.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:58 pm

Dragon Magic should be fine. Covers many possible schools of magic, but it kept strictly to dragon related effects then it should fly.

As for Elemental Magic, I have to shake my head. He can happily manipulate elements with such a school of magic, but creation of elements would fall into each school of magic. For example, conjuring a small fire in your palm is a cantrip of the fire magic school. Elementalism is working with what you have, such as causing a camp fire to jump onto a nearby and unfortunate person.

YigSnakeDaddy

Re: An old face by a new name stopping by..

Unread postby YigSnakeDaddy » Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:38 pm

Alright, then. I'll try to work out a Dragon Magic spell sometime this week.

I'll keep Elemtantalism as you said. I'll maybe work out one or two spells along your guidelines and see if you approve.

This is taking me longer than I expected because I've been having a huge block for two weeks now. I cannot break this sum'bitch down no matter what I do and it's starting to piss me off.

Pardon my language.

Return to Character Closet