Ian Richards

Character sheet archiving. Help with characters can be solicited here. This is also the place to talk Philsys or other RPing systems.
Arinacci

Ian Richards

Unread postby Arinacci » Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:19 pm

Name: Ian Richards - Age: 19 - eyes: Brown - Hair: Dark Brown -
Height: 5'7"

Background:

Ian grew up in a poor family in the city of Tel'mar. His family lost everything they ever owned however; there is one possession the thieves could not get their hands on: A small blue, shiny, pendant. The burglars wanted this pendant just because of its value. What they
saw in the pendant was not all just something to sell "in the market." This pendant houses magical properties, allowing the user to create magical items and enchant non-magical weapons. When the pendant's full purpose was learned, the Richards family became a prime target for those who had an interest in "shiny magical items". Soon Ian’s parent's lost their lives trying keep the pendant away from these people in Tel'mar. As for Ian, he flees to the northern mountainous regions of Igala, far away from his chaotic hometown.

Returning to Tel'mar years later, he finally realizes why his pendant is being sought... For power.

--Basics--
Name: Ian Richards
RPer: Arinacci
Race: Human

--Attributes--
Courage +2
Wisdom +2
Intuition +2
Charisma 0
Agility +2
Dexterity +4
Strength +3
Stamina +2
Magic Aptitude: 4

Lvl=1
HP=65
MP=60
TP=20
XP=0/1000
INI=4+2d6

++++++++++++++++++++++Equipment+++++++++++++++++++++

Weapon: Halberd
Armor: Chain Mail (AC = 20)

--Skills--
Shield Blocking - 1 <str/str/agi>
Treat wounds - 3 <int/wis/dex>
Equipment repair - 4 <int/wis/dex>
Lightning magic - 4 <wis/int/mag>
Enchanting magic - 4 <wis/int/mag>
Fire Magic - 2 <wis/int/mag>
Astral Magic - 4 <wis/int/mag>
Melee Weapons (Harberd) - 2 <Str/Agi>
Item Creation - 4 <wis/int/mag>

--Spells/Techs--

[Enchanting Magic=1,Melee Weapons=1, Fire Magic=1] Flame blade (4MP) - Enchants user's weapon with fire element.

[Fire Magic=1] Fire Start (1MP) - Sets a small area on fire.

[Enchanting Magic=1,Melee Weapons=1, Lightning Magic] Thunder blade (8MP) - Enchants user's weapon with Lighting element.

[Lighting Magic=1] Electrocute (2MP) - Shocks a near by foe.

[Enchanting Magic=1,Melee Weapons=1, Astral Magic] Energy blade (16MP) - Enchants user's weapon with Astral element.

[Astral magic=1] Astral bolt (4MP) - Uses Astral element to inflict damage on a foe.

[Melee weapons=1] Hal Slash (1TP) - Uses Halberd to damage a foe.
[Melee weapons=2] Run-through (4TP) - Runs into foe with weapon.

[Melee Weapons=2,Shield blocking=1] Halberd block (4TP} - blocks melee attacks with weapon.

[Treat wounds=1] Healing spray (2TP) - a bottle of liquid that
can heal wounds.

[Equipment Repair=4] Weapon repair (3TP) - user can repair
Weapons and armor.

[Item Creation=1] Food summon (1MP) - Summons eatable items. (Bread, fruits, vegetables, etc..

++++++++++++++++++++++++Future Spells/Techs++++++++++++++++++++++++

[Enchanting Magic=2,Melee Weapons=1,Fire Magic=2] Flame edge

[Enchanting Magic=2,Melee Weapons=2,Astral Magic=2] Energy Axe

[Enchanting Magic=2,Melee Weapons=1,Lighting Magic=2] Lighting blade

[Enchanting Magic=3,Melee Weapons=3,Astral Magic=3] Energy Axe

[Enchanting Magic=4,Melee Weapons=4,Astral Magic=4] Astral edge

Uncle Pervy

Re: Ian Richards

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:24 pm

Go here.

<p>-------------------------------------
Image</p>

FlamingDeth

*punches Pervy directly in the nose*

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:09 pm

The math on the character, at a glance, works out. There's no twinking out, really. A noncombat skill or two would help, but for the most part, the sheet is fine. The background lacks some personality, but the backstory (with a little help) is workable. I don't see a whole lot of reason for Pervy's link, other than the fact that we haven't really had a chance to use it yet. <p>
<hr width="70%"><center>This month's "Transformer of the Month" is Pipes! He turns into a truck, and his primary function is not taking out the trash.</center></p>

Mechanisto

Re: *punches Pervy directly in the nose*

Unread postby Mechanisto » Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:56 pm

Hm. Looks decent enough to me, thoguh you do have a LOT of combat Techs. Perhaps you can just have one "Elemental enchant" Tech, that allows you to enchant a weapon with any element you have control over?

It's good to see more enchanters around... it explains where all those legendary items come from. There are a couple rules and example spells for enchanting stuff, but I don't think there are any complete rule-sets available for enchanters in PhilSys. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong!)

Now, on the critique side of things.

I might change the names of a few of those skills. "Treat Wounds" might be better as "First aid."

Also, "Item Repair" and "Item Creation" are pretty general skills. And you don't need to have both; if you know how to create an item, you probably also know how to keep it in good working order. Also, without any merchant skills, your character will have a hard time making a profit from his skill... but then again, lots of people have money problems.

You could use the following knowledge skills for *designing* new items:
[k] Crafting/Armory
[k] Crafting/Weapons
[k] Crafting/Tools

Then you'd use the normal skill of
"Smithing," "Woodworking," or "Tailoring" to do the actual crafting or repairing.

If you want your enchanter/blacksmith to have even more zingy flavor, try adding any of the following skills:

[k] Crafting / Chainmail
[k] Crafting / Leatherworking
[k] Crafting / Carpentry
[k] Crafting / Stonemasonry
[k] Crafting / Tools
[k] Crafting / Jewelry
[k] Crafting / Tailoring
[k] Crafting / Embroidery

And remember that [knowledge] skills cost half as much. Image

I'm determined to one day make a sucessfull Tailor/Jeweler character. Who says treasure has to come out of a mysterious locked chest? <p>---
My head moves around inside the bag, it's not like I'm drinking through my actual eye socket.</p>

Arinacci

Re: *punches Pervy directly in the nose*

Unread postby Arinacci » Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:02 pm

Well, I'm redoing my character anyways. I decided to make a few changes. He's going to be more magic based. I kind of dropped the Enchantment magic, but his powers fit a basic elementalist (Having the powers of Earth, Wind, Fire, and Ice).

Thanks for the ideas. I'll consider putting them on my character sheet. <p>Revised Quotes
-----------------------------
"I, master engineer Cid has something in store for you Golbez... As well as my middle finger." (Escape from underworld scene in FF4)</p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=arinacci>Arinacci</A] at: 10/27/04 4:06 pm

Arinacci

Ok. The changes.....

Unread postby Arinacci » Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:21 pm

Name: Ian Richards - Age: 19 - eyes: Brown - Hair: Dark Brown -
Height: 5'7"

Background:

Ian never knew his parents. Someone his parents knew found him crying on the streets of Doma. Even though they knew they were in no condition to take care of a child, they brought Ian to a local orphanage there. The kids saw him as an outsider because they felt he wasn't 'one of them'. Ian was the only one there who was gifted with the power of magic. Because of this, he has grown not to like people that much because of how he was treated as a child. One day he became fed up with all the neglect and left at the age of 15 believing he was ready to face the world.

While traveling throughout Gaera, Ian broadened his skills as a magician by learning the ways of an Elementalist. The forces of Fire, Ice, and Wind came to his aid whenever he called upon them. To gain a living for himself, he was trained by a blacksmith to make weapons and armor. He would use those skills to make equipment and sell them to anyone who was in need of his services.

He now uses his skills as an Elementalist to keep alive as well as his ability to craft weapons and armor. The biggest challenge he will have to face is dealing with people.

--Basics--
Name: Ian Richards
RPer: Arinacci
Race: Human

--Attributes--
Courage +1
Wisdom +4
Intuition +3
Charisma +1
Agility +2
Dexterity +2
Strength +2
Stamina +2
Magic Aptitude: 4

Lvl=1
HP=65
MP=75
TP=20
XP=0/1000
INI=3+2d6

++++++++++++++++++++++Equipment+++++++++++++++++++++

Armor: Chain Mail (AC= 20) (Weight= 10)

Base AT/PA - {8/8}
Modified for skill - {12/8}
Modified for equipment - {8/6}

Weapon Damage – Cutlass
Thrusting - {N/a + STR+1d6}
Slashing- {8 + STR*2+2d4}
Chopping - {13 + STR*3+2d6}

--Skills—
Int*2 + Wis*2 + 20 = 36

Wind Magic – 3 <wis/int/mag>
Fire Magic – 4 <wis/int/mag>
Ice Magic – 4 <wis/int/mag>
Improvisational Weaponry – 4 <cou/agi/Str>
Multiple attacks 3 – <cou/agi/Str>
Equipment Repair – 2 <int/wis/dex>
Smithing – 3 < Str/Dex/Wis>
[k] Cooking – 3 <Int/Int/Dex>
[k] Crafting/Weapons – 3 <wis>
[k] Crafting /Armor – 3 <wis>
[s] Magic Resistance – 4 <Cou/Int/Mag>

--Spells/Techs--

[Wind magic=4] Levitate (12MP) – lifts caster into air using the power of the wind.
[Fire magic=2] Flame streak (4MP) – shoots a streak of fire at target. Does 18+1d6 fire damage to a single target.

[Ice magic=2] Ice lance (3MP) – shoots a lance made out of ice at target. Does 18+1d6 ice damage to a single target.

[Wind=4, Ice=4] Cold Cyclone (12MP) – Creates a medium sized cyclone with a touch of ice in it. Has a slight chance of freezing target. Does 28+3d6 Ice damage to a single target.

[Magic Resistence=4] Reduced magic damage – +d4 to magic resistence when an offensive spell is cast upon Ian.

[Improvisational weaponry=4, Multiple attacks=2] Sticks and stones ‘R’ US (4TP) – picks up near by rocks or sharp sticks/branches and uses them as weapons if main weapon is not present.
<p>Revised Quotes
"I, master engineer Cid, have something in store for you Golbez... As well as my middle finger!" (Escape from underworld scene in FF4)</p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=arinacci>Arinacci</A] at: 10/30/04 3:00 pm

Mechanisto

Re: Ok. The changes.....

Unread postby Mechanisto » Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:49 pm

I have a question for any GMs out there. Would Item Crafting really require a technique? Seems like you'd just spend time and resources, and make a regular old skill roll here and there. It doesn't seem like something that shoudl cost TP.

Hm... someone tell me if I'm wrong. <p>---
My head moves around inside the bag, it's not like I'm drinking through my actual eye socket.</p>

Arinacci

Unread postby Arinacci » Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:57 pm

I still got a few things to work out. So i dont want it added yet. <p>Revised Quotes
"I, master engineer Cid, have something in store for you Golbez... As well as my middle finger!" (Escape from underworld scene in FF4)</p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=arinacci>Arinacci</A] at: 10/27/04 6:58 pm

Arinacci

Unread postby Arinacci » Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:15 pm

ignore this post.... <p>Revised Quotes
"I, master engineer Cid, have something in store for you Golbez... As well as my middle finger!" (Escape from underworld scene in FF4)</p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=arinacci>Arinacci</A] at: 10/27/04 7:44 pm

Banjooie

Unread postby Banjooie » Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:44 pm

Diran: Is anyone else confused by the fact that a fellow who mainly uses magic is running around with chain mail? <p><Chat> <Matto says, "What's up?"
<Chat> <Prince_Herb says, "Angst."
<Chat> <Prince_Herb says, "Drama."
<Chat> <Prince_Herb says, "Betrayal."
<Chat> <Prince_Herb says, "Plushies."</p>

Mechanisto

Unread postby Mechanisto » Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:20 pm

Ah yes... all fighters cannot use magic, and all magic users are physically frail.

Silly us. <p>---

GC130A

Unread postby GC130A » Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:38 pm

He can make the stuff, you know. o_o

The Great Nevareh

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Sat Oct 30, 2004 4:16 am

Your character works mechanically. Can someone tell me where Tel'Mar is?
Your history... needs some work. Mystery and History do not mix. <p>[---------------------------]
"There is great disorder under Heaven, and the situation is excellent."
-Mao Tse-Tung</p>

Arinacci

WHat?

Unread postby Arinacci » Sat Oct 30, 2004 1:35 pm

ignore this post.

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=arinacci>Arinacci</A] at: 10/30/04 1:39 pm

Arinacci

Re: What?

Unread postby Arinacci » Sat Oct 30, 2004 1:39 pm

What about my history needs work? Explain how it needs work. I'm practically stumped on how to improve it.

Nevareh: I scrapped my first draw of my character. Check the second one. <p>Revised Quotes
"I, master engineer Cid, have something in store for you Golbez... As well as my middle finger!" (Escape from underworld scene in FF4)</p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=arinacci>Arinacci</A] at: 10/30/04 2:13 pm

The Great Nevareh

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Sat Oct 30, 2004 2:49 pm

Hrm... Well, where did he learn these skills? Orphanages tend not to teach people how to make weapons and armor, and magic usually isn't something you just happen to know.
HOW did he end up at the orphanage? Was he left on a doorstep? Detail is the key.

Honestly, none of these things are absolutely NECESSARY to your character- we're all just nitpicky bigots who have to have things a certain way or we cry and refuse to go to our tea parties. <p>[---------------------------]
"There is great disorder under Heaven, and the situation is excellent."
-Mao Tse-Tung</p>

Arinacci

Unread postby Arinacci » Sat Oct 30, 2004 3:01 pm

I edited my history, filling in the gaps that you found. <p>Revised Quotes
"I, master engineer Cid, have something in store for you Golbez... As well as my middle finger!" (Escape from underworld scene in FF4)</p>

SALSAlys

Unread postby SALSAlys » Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:29 am

Mm... describe your character's personality a bit more? What makes him tick? As another note, if he has problems dealing with people, why is his Charisma above 'average' (0 value?)? Is he just that pretty?

Zemyla

Unread postby Zemyla » Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:02 pm

Banj: Actually, in Philsys, it makes more sense for the mages to go around wearing heavy armor than it does the fighters, since it hinders fighting and not magic. <p>-----
Do not taunt Happy Fun Zemyla.

<span style="font-size:xx-small;">I think boobs are the lesser of two evils. - Inverse (Pervy)
Dammit, Dan, I'm not dating a damn NPC! - OOC Will (Will Baseton)
Of course! Anything worth doing is worth doing completely wrong! - Travis English
Ultimately, wizards and clerics don't say, "Gee, I want to become a lich because weapons hurt less and I don't have to worry about being backstabbed; that whole 'eternal life' thing is just a fringe benefit."-Darklion</span>

Brotherhood of Elitist Bastards</p>

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:56 pm

Zem has a point. He's within his stat requirements to have that armor. On the one hand, he'll take a little less damage form htis. On the other, well, I suppose he was likely to get hit alot anyway.

It all depends on what you want your character to take, as well as dish out in combat.

And then you also need to realize that we usually don't combat whore too much anyway. :-/ <p>
<div style="text-align:center">Cute and fuzzy with sharp pointy sticks!</div></p>

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:09 pm

Something to think of that he's "only" got a score of 2 for strength and stamina. He'd be able to move fine in heavy armor but it'd tire him out if he walked everywhere in it. He'd probably purchase himself a set of leather armor or a simple breastplate when traveling from place to place.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:12 pm

I'm fairly sure it's been established that heavy armor does, in fact, inhibit magic somewhat--talk to Jak about this, I seem to recall him making a post to this effect. There's also the matter of needing to have the strength to carry it, which many mages will not have built up due to spending all their time studying for magic (Ian, however, has the requisite strength stat).

I don't see much of a problem with a mage having chain mail--I imagine it'd interfere a bit, but not as much as, say, full plate mail. Anyhow, I note that he has shield blocking, but doesn't appear to have a shield? Maybe I misunderstand the skill, but that may be a problem. <p>
<center><small>"We are just poor, wandering corn farmers..."
</p>

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:18 pm

Nope, shield blocking is indeed the skill used with shields.

As for magic casting penalties, while there isn't an official rule, I have my own "house rule." Anyone trying to cast magic suffers a penalty to their roll equal to the sum of the AT and PA penalties of the armor they're wearing. Thus chain mail, with -3/-2 penalties would inflict a -5 penalty on any magic casting roll. It's a sizable chunk, but it's not totally crippling.

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:13 pm

I have a character with navigation and sailing skills but no ship, so I don't see a big problem with the "shield" skill. :O <p>
<hr width="70%"><center>This month's "Transformer of the Month" is Pipes! He turns into a truck, and his primary function is not taking out the trash.</center></p>

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:18 pm

It's kinda a moot point now, since his updated sheet (a few posts from the top) has dropped the shield skill. Although Mr Deth raises a very good point!

Return to Character Closet