Phil Sys Addendum Addition?

Character sheet archiving. Help with characters can be solicited here. This is also the place to talk Philsys or other RPing systems.
NamagomiMk0

Re: Phil Sys Addendum Addition?

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Thu Apr 22, 2004 6:57 pm

I know this is probably a stupid question, but one that's made me wonder for a while.

Given that INT factors into starting skills, just like WIS does, my burning question is why doesn't it factor into skill learning on levelups while WIS (current knowledge) does? One could learn skills by intuition, I'd think, anyway. I can understand balance purposes (INT does a lot right now, I'll admit. Dodge, MBlock, MP, MATK, Starting skills, AT/PA), but logically, one could learn abilities intuitively, one would imagine. Self-taught styles are obviously not common, but one could indeed learn through experience and instinct than just current knowledge. I'm potentially suggesting that skill points per levelup go to 3+(INT+WIS)/2, but that's mainly me wondering why current knowledge goes more towards learning than intuition does... <p>ChibiUrusai: *chomps* I am underage. ^-^
Arch mage144: This means nothing to me. =P
T3chn0Namagomi: *motherly voice* Brian! What would Kate think if she heard you say that?!

---Dirtiness in a chat. Blame my mind for being in the gutter.

-Namagomi, who lives up to his name in this case.</p>

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:12 pm

Because then it would factor into too many things.

JoshuaDurron

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:31 am

Status of the rewrite: Proceeding slowly.

Why I am posting: Because I'm a masochist.

No, actually, I wanted to propose another rule change. Since we're giving weapons multiple attacks now, this totally changes the damage scale in combat. The average fighter with a STR of 3 weilding a Longsword deals 22-28 damage on a slashing attack (penalty of -3). The average suit of chainmail blocks 7 points of damage (armor's AC/3). Against 1 longsword slash, that's 15-21 points of damage. Not that horrible, if the attack hits. But now, a Longsword using warrior with a DEX of 3 can pull 2 attacks, not including bonus attacks from their Ranks in Swordsmanship. That's a whale of a lot of damage (30 at minimum, if both attacks hit). What I propose is increasing armor's damage resistance to AC/2, to make it a little easier to keep up with this kind of damage. <p>

"Crazy is good." - Luffy, One Piece
</p>

Archmage144

Unread postby Archmage144 » Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:45 pm

Yes on the AC/2 thing, based on what you're saying--also, AGI should be granting extra attacks/round, not DEX. <p>
<div style="text-align:center">Image</div>

</p>

JoshuaDurron

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:17 pm

RIGHT. AGI. I knew that... >_>;; <p>

</p>

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Tue Apr 27, 2004 4:35 pm

So, let me see if I get this.

A sword user can, at level 1, give himself a mere 3 Agi, and get two attacks. He does 30+ damage with str+3 if both attacks land, etc. His AC is more powerful, so it's harder to hurt him.

Unarmed users have an unconfirmed extra attack that they have to wait until level 3 to get, and will do 30-32 damage at that level with str +6 if they're lucky, and if they do any kind of manuvers to try to make up for it, they can't have that AC because the armour would interfere with their movement.

Now, tell me.

How in the name of god can you dare to tell me that that's balanced? Please, tell me if I've missed something here, before I just give up on PhilSys completely.

And no one even start talking about Realism to me. As our own PhilSys expert stated previously in this thread, a battle system is NOT about realism. It's about balance. <p>

Jeridan: Holder of the "Tastes like Chicken" Award.

"So you're afraid of a man who can't walk in sunlight, can't stand crosses, and is easily dispatched by WOOD?"~Selrahc/KoD</p>Edited by: [url=http://b3.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=besyanteo@rpgww60462>Besyanteo</A]&nbsp; Image at: 4/27/04 4:42 pm

JoshuaDurron

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:54 pm

First.

Unarmed fighters are essentially light weapon users. This means they need an AGI of 2 to get a bonus attack on first level. They can get a second with an AGI of 4, and a third with an AGI of 6. Longsword users could only get a second with an AGI of 6.

Second.

A fist fighter with a STR of +3 and 4 ranks in his skill does (3*2)+4+2d4 damage on a kicking attack (-3 penalty)- or, 12-18 damage. His damage will increase as his ranks in the unarmed fighting skill do (something no other style of fighting gets) and he will also aquire new attacks for every 6 ranks of skill he has (there is no question of this now.) While the damage is less to begin with, it will outpace swords eventually.

Third.

Damage Resistance. Enough said. <p>

</p>

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:03 pm

Question of stupid

What weapons are light, which are moderate, which are heavy?

And, What is the final formula for Multiple missile attacks?

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:07 pm

Bes will be good now. >>; <p>

Jeridan: Holder of the "Tastes like Chicken" Award.

"So you're afraid of a man who can't walk in sunlight, can't stand crosses, and is easily dispatched by WOOD?"~Selrahc/KoD</p>

JoshuaDurron

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:17 am

Pervy:

Light weapons are pretty much anything that weighs less than 4 pounds. Fists, daggers, rapiers, sabers, and other such stuff. Medium weapons are such things as longswords, smaller axes, light maces, ect. Anything that requires two hands to use (including the Bastard Sword, even if someone has mastered it's use one handed) is a large/heavy weapon.

Missle weapons are considered light, medium, or heavy weapons, and use the same formulas as melee weapons of those sizes (only with DEX granting bonus attacks, instead of AGI.) Light thrown weapons (which have the same definition as light melee weapons) are treated as... light melee weapons. =O! Heavier thrown weapons (such as axes,) hand guns, and light crossbows are considered medium weapons. Heavy crossbows, repeating crossbows, rifles, shotguns, any normal bow, and ect, are all treated as heavy/two handed weapons.

Bes: I am firmly on the side of unarmed fighters, and you can count on me to keep them as viable options in the system. ^_^ <p>

</p>

Choark

Unread postby Choark » Fri Apr 30, 2004 4:05 am

A stupid question from me:

Is there any point where a character would get so strong that a heavy weapon would be swung as easily as a medium weapon? And if so does that effect anything at all?

I probably guess not otherwise you'll get some people always trying for a strength level up (.... what? Its in character for Choark *coughs* ) for those extra groovy attack bonus. Yum.

Extra fun note:
Current Str +9

Considering I get other people to help with the level up - I've been real lucky. Real lucky. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image </div>
<div style="text-align:center">Cowgirl fanboy - Barbarian Ninja - Expert Mouse Catcher - Holder of the Iron Glasses Of Doom!</div></p>

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:41 pm

Don't think that'd be a good idea. A strong character with a large weapon will already be doing massive damage per hit. Giving him even more attacks would just be silly. Besides, the "swing it faster" bit is factored into the damage equation. Swinging stuff faster results in greater impact, and thus more damage.

Choark

Unread postby Choark » Fri Apr 30, 2004 5:56 pm

Tis what I thought but eh - it was fun asking. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image </div>
<div style="text-align:center">Cowgirl fanboy - Barbarian Ninja - Expert Mouse Catcher - Holder of the Iron Glasses Of Doom!</div></p>

Archmage144

Unread postby Archmage144 » Sat May 01, 2004 2:49 pm

Quote:
And with regard to AGI vs. DEX, Philsys has always been a system that was more concerned with attempting to model a logical reality than it was with "balance"...

I think Bes misread me. Completely. <p>

</p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=archmage144>Archmage144</A]&nbsp; Image at: 5/1/04 2:50 pm

JoshuaDurron

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Thu May 13, 2004 12:48 pm

And now I shall ask another question. Are there accepted general rules for grapple and trip attacks? If so, what are they? <p>

</p>

Archmage144

Unread postby Archmage144 » Sat May 15, 2004 9:04 am

For grapple checks, I always used opposed AT rolls (without weapon mods, except for Unarmed Combat). A character could substitute a STR*3+d20 roll instead if it was a greater value. The winner ends up either grappling or avoiding being grappled. Grappled characters, in order to escape, have to win the roll at a later time, and can retry every turn until they do so. The grappling character can deal damage to the opponent, but I haven't worked that out for PCs, just some monsters, like a giant squid creature whose primary form of attack was to grapple. I imagine grapple damage should be increased by the Unarmed skill, and characters being grappled should be unable to cast magic. <p>

</p>

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Sat May 15, 2004 9:45 am

Which makes unarmed fighters excellent "mage killers," since most mages don't have the strength to break a grapple. Which isn't a bad thing whatsoever, I add.

As for grappling damage, I doubt a PC would do much unless they had a good strength value (4 or more?) and/or the defender's stamina was low.

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:12 am

Does this need to be stickied anymore? <p>
<center><small>"We are just poor, wandering corn farmers..."
</p>

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:20 am

Don't think so. I'll take care of it.

Previous

Return to Character Closet