Virgil Tuscuday... Again, Mark x2-Babylon

Character sheet archiving. Help with characters can be solicited here. This is also the place to talk Philsys or other RPing systems.
The Great Nevareh

Virgil Tuscuday... Again, Mark x2-Babylon

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Wed Jul 21, 2004 3:09 pm

Virgil Tuscaday
Race: Human
Male
Height- 5’9’’
Weight- 145 lbs
Slim build, lean and muscular in his own way, but without the serious power of people with heavy muscles. Fairly attractive, with dark blue eyes and pale, light-blue hair of medium length tied back behind his head into a ponytail. He's reasonably tanned and has a clear complexion.

Courage: 4 (Virgil possesses a good deal of courage)
Wisdom: 2 (Virgil has more than your average amount of knowledge tucked away in his head)
Intuition: 3 (Virgil is much more intuitive than your average Bishounen)
Charisma:2 (Virgil is somewhat charismatic, but not incredibly so)
Agility: 4 (Virgil is very agile)
Dexterity:3 (Virgil has good dexterity.)
Stamina: 1 (Virgil is slightly more hardy than an average person.)
Strength: 2 (Virgil is stronger than an average human being)
Magic: 0 (Virgil has the magical ability of your average, every-day rock that has no magical ability)
HP: 60
MP: 25
TP: 20
Initiative: 8+2d6
Base AT/PA: 13/13
Modified for weapons: 15/11
Modified for Skills: 15-19/11-15
Dodge: 21
Mdefend: 21
Armor Class: 15
Attacks:
Daggers-
Light: 9+1d6
Medium: 14+2d4
Heavy: 19+2d6
Skills:
Daggers: 4
Weapon Familiarity: 2
Ambidexterity: 4
Chi Manipulation: 4
First Aid: 4
(s)Bright Star School: 4
(s)Black Song School: 4
(s)Discipline: 4
(s)Meditation:2
(s)Parrying: 2
(k)Herb Lore: 4
(k)Survival: 4

Skill Explanations:
I understand that there is no two-weapon stuff here. Black Song and Bright Star combine to form some kind of Two Weapon Fighting style.
Weapon Familiarity (Wis/Int/Dex):
Virgil is extremely familiar with daggers. He does damage with daggers as though they were short swords. However, due to the odd way he uses the daggers, were he to actually use short swords, he would be incapable of using them aptly.
Chi Manipulation (Cou/Wis/Int):
A skill that allows otherwise mundane people to generate supernatural effects through the manipulation of their own life energy.
Bright Star (Cou/Agi/Str) and Black Song (Cou/Int/Cha) schools:
Schools of two-weapon fighting that Virgil is familiar with. Their synthesis generates a facsimile of two-weapon fighting, and each has its own specific flair and signature moves.
Discipline (Cou/Wis/Cha):
The ability to police ones emotions and thoughts. Virgil can add this to any roll that would allow him to shrug off a mind-influencing effect, be it a taunt or an attempt at mind control.
Meditation (Wis/Int/Cha)
The ability to tune out the rest of the universe and find peace. Augments normal sleep patterns, provides a good sense of alone-time, even when not alone, and is a necessary part of many schools of fighting/living/thinking/acting.

Equipment Worth Mentioning:
Knife of the Black Song School
A vicious-looking knife that is generally made in sets of two and given to students of the widely-taught Black Song school upon completing their training and learning on this path. Periodically, sets of these two knives or individual knives are lent out to people who have missions relegated to them from Black Song masters, or given to people who have shown great courage or service to a Black Song master. It has a dark grip and is forged of a dark steel alloy, with a sword-catcher on one side of the curved blade and a hand guard on the other. The end of the grip generally has a piece of ivory or alabaster in the shape of a talon.

Gabriel’s Knife
One of a set of two knives that were wrought by Gabriel Alexander before he disappeared. The other part of the set disappeared along with Gabriel, and this knife was left behind. It is a straight-bladed knife made with a light steel alloy that has trace amounts of Mithril in it. A small guard leads to a grip and terminates with a small red semiprecious gem set in the hilt.

Mysteriously Durable Travel Boots
A pair of well-used traveling boots. They appear to be made of a nondescript dark leather and are fairly well-made. These boots, though, hide some sort of secret. First of all, how old are they? They were passed down to Virgil from his master, and yet they seem to have never been repaired nor needed repair. They weight almost nothing, and yet they protect Virgil’s feet from all of the dangers of travel. They are extremely comfortable, like tailored boots, and yet they couldn’t have been made for Virgil. They do require cleaning, but they never seem to sustain damage. What secrets do these mysteriously durable travel boots hide?

Herb Pouch
A small, multi-compartmental pouch that can hold many different types of substances. In Virgil’s hands, it is used to hold many different types of herbs. They can be medicinal, used for seasoning, or might have a detrimental effect to foot odor. He keeps a good supply.

Examiner’s Glass
A small eyeglass that Virgil can use to examine things with a high magnification.

Splicer’s Kit
A kit made for splicing pieces of plants together. Used mainly in gardening.

Magiglass
A small amber monocle that has the ability to grant the wearer astral vision in one eye. Recent acquisition from Warren Kane.

Obsidian Suit
A very dark suit that encompasses the whole body except for the forearms and the lower legs. Experimental armor crafted by Warren Kane, is much more durable than normal clothes and mimics (but nowhere near equals) the defensive power of Obsidian Skin. Testing it for Warren Kane in terms of wear.

Techniques-
(Black+Bright)- Shift Style (TP-0) This is less of a technique and more of an action executable at the beginning of any turn in which Virgil has some space to move. This allows for reallocation of Virgil’s AT/PA bonus from skills. Doing this forfeits one of Virgil’s free actions for the round.

(Bright=1) Bright Sword- (TP-1) A swift cut done in the Bright Star Style. +4 to AT for this attack. Useable once per turn.

(Bright=2) Cross-Step (TP-2) Two consecutive attacks done without dropping active defenses. Allows for an extra attack without using an extra action. Resets stance.

(Bright=4) Lesson 1 (Brilliance) (TP- 2) An attack made with a single knife that covers more distance than normal. As skill and level progresses, this distance elongates from a few extra inches to a few meters. Increases AT by (Bright) ranks for one attack, but uses two actions instead of one.

(Black=1) Psych-out (TP-2) A series of swift arm movements that do not do anything, really, except give an incredible impression of competence. Used to off-balance a foe while not in direct engagement. Can target as many foes as can see Virgil, can only target opponents that can be affected by mind-affecting attacks, and resets stance. Virgil forfeits all possible attack actions when executing this, and can only do it outside of melee combat. Lowers the AT/PA of all targets by 1 against Virgil unless any one of the targets has a higher AT or PA than Virgil does, at which point a competitive roll takes place. Those with equal or greater AT or PA roll against Virgil’s AT with a D20. If Virgil beats them, then the detriment applies, and if he doesn’t, then the detriment is cancelled versus all. The effect is cancelled also if Virgil demonstrates incompetence, like a Botch or suffering a critical hit. Virgil has control over who he targets, and can pick and choose.

(Black=2) Lesson 1 (Retort) (TP-4) Sets stance to “Retort,” which is a state that will counter the next melee attack made at Virgil. This counter-attack does double damage and does not take away from Virgil’s actions pool for the next turn. Virgil cannot make any attacks while in this stance. Resets at the beginning of next turn or after use.

(Black=4, Chi=2) Bleak Butterfly (TP-4) A weapon technique that temporarily (and dramatically) improves one’s own magic defense. Allows a user to shrug off a lot more magic damage without harm than normal. Sets stance to “Bleak”, raises Mdef by Chi ranks, and decreases AT/PA by the same. Can be sustained for extended periods of time.

(Bright=2 Black=2) Act Defensively (TP-4) A synthesis of the two schools, combines to make a defensive stance more adept at deflection and absorption of damage than Virgil’s normal stance. Sets stance to “Def”, increases Virgil’s PA by (Black+Bright)/2, and decreases his AT by the same number. Also, allows for (Black+Bright)/8 extra parry actions. Can be sustained for extended periods of time.

(Bright=4, Black=4, Chi=3) Brilliant Edge (TP-3) A single attack that negates all possible attack actions for that turn on Virgil’s part. Works like a missile attack, and does double normal damage. Has a range increment of 30+ (Chi*10) feet.

Update to living conditions:
Virgil, having found himself in Doma and rapidly running out of money, began to take odd jobs around town. Eventually he sought out permanent living accomodations, and moved in with the inventor Warren Kane. In exchange for room and board, Virgil works as Kane's assistant, usually running and fetching things for him but periodically having to act as a guinea pig as well. Virgil doesn't really mind all that much- it's a small price to pay, but hey.

Recent Happening:
Virgil has recently been suffering from chronic nightmares- He doesn't quite know why, but it is bothering him and it prevents him from getting a good night's sleep.
No, this isn't done.
Edit for Bes:
Thanks for your input, I altered the weapons so they are just plain old weapons with personality. Some of what you're having trouble with are things that I might be recollecting incorrectly from when I sat down with Pervy and fixed him the first time.
Edit for Banjooie:
If you want me to take anything you say seriously, less malice, please. Remember that you've been called on this before. Actually, in my direction, too. If you have something you want to say to me, please do so with more discretion and maturity. You may think you're funny. I don't, and what you say is potentially hurtful.
Now, some of the stuff you have problems with now you *didn't* have problems with last time you reviewed him. Like the first chapter- It's untouched. You didn't have a problem with it beforehand, but you are generally right in the sense that it's melodramatic, and any melodrama could use some serious cutting down. So, it needs work. Some of what you say you dislike are stylistic things that just depends on opinion, and I don't doubt that you would point out any number of things you think are stupid or contrived no matter how I say anything, or if I say it at all. So, I'll ignore the venom about the gloves. Also, seeing as how I'm spending twice as many points on two support skills as opposed to using those points elsewhere and just doing two-weapon fighting, I understand the complaint but I'm unwilling to change it right now because of stylistic differences.

Edit 2 for Bes:
Erm... Okay, clarify if I'm wrong here-
In order to use two weapons, you need...
Your weapon skill
Ambidexterity
(s) Two-Weapon fighting
(s) Dual Wielding

2- How am I being cocky? I'm just being indignant. I'm not AWARE of being cocky. Am I?

More Comments/ Suggestions, please. And avoid malice, if you can. I don't take well to malice.

Edit by grace of Dia: I made the sheet less March and more September, since the character has been living in Doma for 6 months+, I made a few adjustments like current living conditions in there as well. No real changes except for the armor, which is a variant on the "Obsidian Skin" armor that I remember from the archives, only much weaker and much less durable. <p>"There is great disorder under Heaven, and the situation is excellent."
-Mao Tse-Tung</p>Edited by: The Great Nevareh at: 9/25/04 9:55 pm

Banjooie

Unread postby Banjooie » Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:08 am

Diran: It's that time again! Didn't we look at him before?

Fenron: Can't remember. Let's just do it again.

Diran: Right. Right. What we've got here is Virgil Tuscuday. He's muscular, but not as muscular as people who are really muscular. He has boots. Also, he wears 'high-traction' gloves when fighting. And he even /changes/ his gloves when he's not fighting!

Fenron: The daggers apparently have 'Light, Medium, and Heavy', as opposed to what you're /supposed/ to have with them.

Meldon: His school of two weapon fighting produces a 'fascimile' of two weapon fighting. So they don't actually teach it to you. ...Yeah.

Diran: He's got some sort of knife which apparently gives him +2 to disarm and +2 to not being disarmed. Why? I DON'T KNOW EITHER.

Nagan: And, now, we have Gabri-aslkdfjaslkejrlskajer oh god not again

Diran: Now, now, he disappeared, he wasn't brutally murdered. Anyway, more importantly, Virgil has a pouch, and he keeps herbs in it. It's like 'holy shit'. And stuff.

Fenron: The techniques seem fine....I guess...someone check the numbers for me, but the general concept seem alright.

Meldon: Alright, let's read it. Okay. Parents were peasants. Supar Swordsman comes by, owns a few bandits, and....comes back to find the moth-ALTHENA, Nevareh! First the tragic yaoi, now the rape! It's NOT HARD NOT TO DO THIS. GODDESS.

Diran: I want to hurt him. I really do. But we're done now.

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Re: .

Unread postby Besyanteo » Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:05 pm

Isn't there some taboo against starting with artifact weapons, with no penalties, not acquired in a plot by a GM? ... In other words, aren't those knives a little out there?

The Dis-arm thing sees little enough use (in my limited experience) that I doubt it's much of a problem, but weapons, especially starting weapons, tend to subtract from AT/PA, not add to it, yes?

Otherwise: I'm not much on the backstory, in either direction. If Virgil is RPed well then it's fine. If Virgil is RPed poorly people are going to pick on you. :{

Oh, the schools of fighting, which give him the two weapon style. It's fine on a technicality, since it has similar requirements to the standardized method of getting the same thing. Just keep in mind that the lowwer rank of the two skills will be used to test both skills, whenever the two weapons are being used.

Take care there, bye bye then! <p>
Mrao~!

Jeridan: Holder of the "Tastes like Chicken" Award.

"IM: ....my brother is a baby drinker." ~Ara</p>

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:56 pm

Actually, What I was sayying before, is that it's not extra points for the two weapon fighting:

Two weapon fighting requires that skill AND Ambidexterity. So actually, You have the exact same set up as any other two weapon fighter, with a different flavor.

In my own opinion, this is actually totally acceptable. Just don't get cocky. :-/

Edit-
Actually, the weapons were fine to have those modifiers on them, if you were willing to accept some negative modifiers as well. UNLESS, however, an upstanding GM (Jak, Brian(?), Pervy, Shini, Kate, Adam, Lex, ...) told you otherwise. For example: I'm glad you felt I was not only worth considering, but respect my opinion enough to edit the weapons! But if someone else told you to go ahead and do so, you could have told me and I'd have backed down.

Just making sure I don't have you jumping the gun. =D <p>
Mrao~!

Jeridan: Holder of the "Tastes like Chicken" Award.

"IM: ....my brother is a baby drinker." ~Ara</p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=besyanteo@rpgww60462>Besyanteo</A]&nbsp; Image at: 7/24/04 12:01 am

Molokidan
Yomigaeta Sushijin

Unread postby Molokidan » Sun Sep 26, 2004 8:12 am

Molo is also a 2-handed fighter, and as long as you have Ambidexterity at the same level as Two-handed fighting, (which I guess his -School techniques serve as) then it's all good.

However, the minimum Dex needed for the standard "Double Weapon Fighting" skill is 4. Virgil has 3. However, he is using his own Double Weapon fighting skill, so the mods might pass it as okay. I'm just throwing it out there. <p>---------------

"Well slap a dead fish on me and call me Molokidan!"</p>

The Great Nevareh

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:58 pm

That wasn't in PS 2.0, when I read it. <p>[---------------------------]
"There is great disorder under Heaven, and the situation is excellent."
-Mao Tse-Tung</p>Edited by: The Great Nevareh at: 9/26/04 3:59 pm

Molokidan
Yomigaeta Sushijin

Unread postby Molokidan » Sun Sep 26, 2004 5:45 pm

PS.....2.0?