Mariah Iranova Senontovich, Black Soul Knight.

Character sheet archiving. Help with characters can be solicited here. This is also the place to talk Philsys or other RPing systems.
The Great Nevareh

Mariah Iranova Senontovich, Black Soul Knight.

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Sun Jul 25, 2004 7:04 am

I'm on a roll, apparently. Mariah is created for Shini's RP, since none of my pre-existing characters could make it. That, and since none of my characters right now are complete, I really don't have any business making new ones. Oh well.

I appear to have finished. Hoolay. The last post as of this edit is post number 5, which I have addressed.

Name: Mariah Iranova Senontovich (Mah-rah-yah Eye-rah-noh-vah Seh-non-toh-veech. Decipherable as "Mariah, daughter of Ira of the family Senontovich. )
Race: Human (yes, I have no imagination)
Eyes: Ice Blue
Hair: Long (Back-length) and deep, dark brown in color.
Height: 5'11''
Build: Broad and sturdy.
Nationality: Barian

Applicable quote:

"Can't something be wrong... and priceless?"
-Viktor, Suikoden.

Appearance: Mariah has stern features, with eyes set so that she appears to be perpetually serious. Her mouth is thin, her skin is pale, and she has very little color on her face. She tends to look well-rested, and is predisposed to wear comfortable clothes that accentuate the little femininity she has. She isn't *ugly,* but she is far from beautiful. She has a few piercings on her left ear, but only one on her right.

Persona: Mariah is always formal. Always. She addresses everyone with an honorific, and she is always the most polite person in any group. Some may take her endless politeness as sarcasm, but the real reason is her general insecurity with people in general. She tries very hard not to offend and even harder not to be offended.

Mariah is one of the most idealistic of the Black Soul Knights. She has placed Vaniyakna on a pedestal from which almost everything he does is saint-like and beyond reproach. She truly and honestly believes he has the best interests of the Barian people at heart. She will carry out what she understands his will to be even if it means her own life.

Stuff Worth Mentioning:
Standard Longsword
This is a longsword that Mariah has personalized. It isn't any better than anyone else's longsword, but it definitely is *her* longsword. Mostly owned for decorative purposes.

Heavy Revolver
This is Mariah's preferred weapon. It is useless in actual army combat, but it is the weapon she carries around with her when off-duty and in areas where she might de in danger. Of Valthi design but Barian make.

Combat Rifle
A rifle that Mariah uses on military maneuvers. It is superior in almost every way to the revolver, and uses larger-caliber rounds. It is also heavier and requires two hands to use. Of Valthi design but Barian make, and with some Barian alterations.

Barian Dress Uniform
A standard Dress uniform with a second lieutenant's bars and pips. Includes a vest, gloves, boots, shirt, coat, pants, and cap. Cut to fit, and fits well.

Barian Combat Uniform
A standard Barian combat uniform made in officer's style but without any markings designating rank. Fits well, loosely, and comforably, and is designed to be worn under armor.

Combat Armor
A set of Plate Mail manufactured in Barius and fitted to Mariah. Designed to be worn in combat. Comes with helmet and greaves, as well as shoulder covers and a series of clips to hold a mantle or a cape in place.

Black Soul Knight Outfit
A long, black overcoat that is cut and tucked so that it fits tightly and well, tucking in at the waist and billowing out toward the ground. Is full of armored plating, being heavier than your standard BSK overcoat, but more armored. Trails around her feet, with pips on the shoulders and studs on her collar. Under the coat in a black armored turtleneck and billowing black pants that have kneepads sown into them. These pants are generally tucked into the black steel-inlaid combat boots that finish off the outfit. Any number of accessories can be added onto this outfit.

Steel Circlet
A circlet that Mariah wears at all times. Made of stainless steel, it is of incredible sentimental value to Mariah due to the length of time that she has had it. Offers little real protection to the head.

Violin
A commonplace violin. It has a case, a bow, rosin, tuning fork, cleaning rag, and other trappings required for the use and maintenance of a violin.

Stats:
HP: 65
MP: N/A
TP: 20
Courage: 5 (Mariah is willing to stare death in the face. Regularly.)
Wisdom: 2 (Mariah has a smattering of knowledge, but not a lot and not on a good number of subjects.)
Intuition: 4 (Mariah has good intuition.)
Charisma: 1 (Mariah isn't bad with people, but she isn't good either.)
Agility: 1 (Mariah has above-average agility)
Dexterity: 2 (Mariah is somewhat dextrous.)
Strength: 4 (Mariah is fairly strong.)
Stamina: 2 (Mariah is somewhat hardy.)
Magical Aptitude: 0 (Mariah is unable to use magic.)
AT/PA: 14/14
Dodge:6 1d20
Modded for skill: 14/18
Modded for Longsword: 13/18

(in Armor)
Modded for Armor: 10/10
AC: 35
(I'm unsure as to if I add in bracers, helmets, and shields on top of this or not. If I do, that AT/PA modifier is going down even more and that AC modifier is climbing higher and higher.)
Modded for Longsword: 9/10
Light: 14 1d6
Medium: 22 2d4
Heavy: 29 2d6
Firearms:
Revolver Accuracy: 10 1d20
Revolver Damage: 15 5d7
Bullets: 5 per load
Rifle Accuracy: 16 1d20
Rifle damage: 30 2d8
Bullets: 1 per load

Skills:
Swords: 4
Firearms: 4
Armored Combat: 4
Etiquette: 4
Violin: 4
Command: 4
(s) Military Etiquette: 4
(s) Mariah's Etiquette: 4
(k) Tactics: 4
(k) Musical Repertoire: 4

Armored Combat (Cou/Agi/Str)
The ability to fight in armor.

Violin (Wis/Int/Dex)
The ability to read music for and perform upon the violin.

Command (Cou/Int/Cha)
The ability to command soldiers.

Mariah's Etiquette (Wis/Int/Cha)
Mariah is unfailingly polite to everyone. Therefore, she is skilled in being unfailingly polite to everyone.

(k) Tactics
A knowledge of military ground tactics. This also includes some minor knowledge of military history.

(k) Musical Repertoire
A knowledge of songs or litanies that can be performed from memory, given the right tools.

Techniques

(Swords- 2) Sudden Sword (TP 2)
A swift movement that catches an enemy off guard, thus adding (Swords/2) to AT for that particular attack, as well as (Swords/2) to damage.

(Swords-4) Deflect (TP 2)
By sacrificing her attack action(s) that turn, Mariah gains an extra Parry action until her next turn. This also boosts her PA by (Swords/2).

(Armored Combat-3) Locked Stance (TP 4)
Mariah locks the various defensive parts of her armor together, and thus boosts her Armor Factor by (Armored Combat*2) and sacrifices all of her attack and parry actions. Doing this also grants her (Armored Combat*2) Temporary hit points. She can continue doing this, thus keeping her AF raised and sacrificing her actions for as long as she can stand. When she finishes, her HP max goes back down to its normal max, and whatever damage she has taken is kept. She can fall unconscious in this manner.

(Command- 1) Take Command (TP- Variable)
Mariah can sacrifice all of her movement, attack, and parry actions in order to direct her comrades, or anyone in hearing distance, in various ways as allowed by her knowledge of Tactics. The moment she activates this ability, she begins consuming TP, and continues to consume TP with every action she directs, as set down by what her knowledge of Tactics allows.

(Tactics-1) Flank Maneuver (TP-2)
Mariah directs whoever listens in a manner that flanks their opponents. Any member of this flanking maneuver gets 2 to AT and damage against anyone who is flanked. All those being flanked get -2 to PA. Usuable only in situations where it has relevance. This stacks with other command bonuses.

(Tactics-2) Defensive Tactics (TP-2)
All those under Mariah's direction gain 2 to PA for as long as Mariah is directing them. This lasts until Mariah ceases to Take Command, but it does not stack with itself or other command bonuses.

(Tactics-3) Charge (TP-4)
Mariah directs her soldiers to... well, charge. All those who do charge move more swiftly and act as though they have double their current strength when calculating to-hit and damage, but act as though they have no strength when parrying so long as they charge. This only lasts for one turn, and the moment the soldiers stop moving they cease to gain bonuses. This stacks with other command bonuses to attack but cancels all command bonuses to parry and defense for its duration.

(Tactics-4) Retrograde Maneuver (TP- 6)
This is a very pleasant way of saying "retreat." Those under Mariah's direction move much more swiftly, lose their attack actions, and gain an extra parry in exchange. Those who are under the Retrograde Maneuver can still parry attacks made at them, despite being in full retreat. This immediately and utterly cancels all other command bonuses and ends Mariah's Take Command action.

(Command-4) Rally (TP-10)
Mariah cheers her allies and herself on. In doing this, she gives all of her allies and extra save against fear and gives them a (Command) bonus to Strength, as well as a (Command/4) bonus to Agility. Mariah must continue to cheer in order to continue to grant this bonus. The bonus ends two turns after she ceases to cheer, and doing *anything but cheering* causes her to cease to cheer.

(Firearms-2) Gun-deflect (TP-3 to activate, 1 per turn)
Mariah can use her gun as a deflecting medium, thus granting her parry actions despite not having a conventional weapon with which to parry. She can parry for (Firearms) number of turns before the skill runs out, and must pay 1 TP in addition, excluding the first turn, per turn that she uses this.

(Firearms-4) Soul Caliber-Rounds (TP-6)
Mariah fires a shot from her weapon that explodes upon impact. This explosion deals an extra (Firearms/2)d10 Damage to the target and (Firearms/2-1)d5 Damage to everyone within a 10 foot radius of the ground zero. Doing this sacrifices Mariah's parry action for the round, as it takes special concentration to execute.
History:
Mariah was born to Ira and Ivanna(II) Senontovich, which eventually consisted of a family of fourteen... Four older brothers (Mikhail, Yuri, Antonin, Alanovik), two older sisters (Menia, Ivanna III), three younger brothers (Ira Jr., Piotr, Vaniyakna) and two younger sisters (Katarina and Illona). She was the seventh child, and thus was a prolific middle child, full of the lack of self-respect and want of approval that so many middle children have. Her siblings range in ages from 7 years older than she (Menia) to twenty-three years younger (Vaniyakna).
Ira was a member of the Barian intelligentsia, and a proponent of expansionism, though not necessarily in the sense that he thought that Barius should cover the world. More along the lines that he always talked about how oppressed his people were by mainlanders, how everything was awful and it was all the mainland's fault, and how Barians had a right to the same luxuries and privileges that citizens of other, more privileged (and less deserving) countries have.
Mariah absorbed all of this like a sponge absorbs... well, any number of liquids, really. She came to believe that her people were oppressed by the mainland, and became a believer in Barian Ascendancy, much like her father.
In her father's home, she learned two things that she carry with her now- The first is that politeness is a very good thing to have, and the second is how to play the violin. She was never particularly good at the violin, but she is a lot better than most people(Of course, most people don't play the violin, which is the basis of this comparison).
When she came of age, she joined the Barian military, which wasn't an original career path in her family- Mikhail and Ivanna III had already done it- but Mariah felt she could serve to put Barius in its rightful place better as a soldier than as a musician.
Mariah served well, and soon found herself in a Captain's pips in the Barian army. She went through Officer's school, and thus learned the basics of command, before the rise of Vaniyakna.
Four years ago, she discovered herself recommended into a new order being formed from certain, select members of the Barian military for the new Grand General, a mysterious fellow named Vaniyakna. In the short time after Vaniyakna had risen to power, she found herself serving under his ultimate command against the previous Grand General, Amanziani, in the short civil war previous to her induction into the order which came to be known as the Black Soul Knights.
While she was serving under Vaniyakna, she discovered his competence and all of the qualities that make him an excellent leader. Already being a proponent of Barian Ascendancy, she soon came to look up to, then adore, then idolize Vaniyakna.
Being one of the original members of the Black Soul Knights, she soon found herself without any serious postings aside from bodyguard work (which she excelled at). She has seen less combat as a Black Soul Knight than most other Black Soul Knights. She stood stagnant as a sergeant for a long period of time, and was eventually promoted to 3nd Lieutenant for the actions around Kohlingen. She distinguished herself in those actions and got brevetted to 1st Lieutenant in the field, then received an official promotion to 2nd Lieutenant from Vaniyakna himself. This only increased her loyalty to Vaniyakna.
Now she serves Vaniyakna by being part of the Kohlingen occupation, in an undistinguished yet semi-important post. She waits for her time to stand out from the ranks and once again prove her worth to Vaniyakna.

And... I appear to be done!

Edit: I just found out the circumstances having to do with Vaniyakna's ascent to power. I am changing things accordingly.
<p>"There is great disorder under Heaven, and the situation is excellent."
-Mao Tse-Tung</p>Edited by: The Great Nevareh at: 8/1/04 3:33 am

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Re: Mariah Iranova Senontovich, Black Soul Knight.

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sun Jul 25, 2004 12:28 pm

You know, I might be wrong, and feel free to correct me if I am, but aren't Russian names ending in -vich patronyms, used as the middle name of male children to show the name of the father? Like Andreievich = Son of Andrei? <p>

"Never let your morals get in the way of doing what is right" - Salvor Hardin</p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=idran1701>Idran1701</A] at: 7/25/04 12:28 pm

Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Sun Jul 25, 2004 11:56 pm

This needs a bit more work, though I will take the fault for it being a bit off from what I'm expecting, as I kinda left out quite a few things while explaining to Nevareh what was going on. He should IM me sometime before 3 AM so I can give a good, solid explaination of the Knights and what exactly they do. <p>
<div style="text-align:center">Image</div>
<div style="text-align:center">Why Barius has no family reunions.</div></p>

The Great Nevareh

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:14 pm

I know and understand it's a bit off.

"Vich" could indeed mean that. It could also mean that some long-distant ancestor got his or her own clan name, and that all of his or her immediate family became his or her "sons." Andreivich could mean "Son of Andrei" in the right spot, but it could also mean "Son of the clan of Andrei" or, more simply put, "My male-line bloodline goes back to an Andrei who did something really cool and started his own family." Also, being from a certain city or doing a certain city a service could give you a surname naming you the "Son" of that city. Then, your children would also be "sons" of that city. So, Andreivich could also mean "My male-line bloodline originated as its own separate entity in the city of Andrei."

Since Gaera is an Equal-Opportunity land, I'll assume that there is as much honor in being a daughter as there is in being a son. That being the case, there could easily be some Andreiovna-s out there, "Ovna" acknowledging feminine derivation (I'm a daughter!). So, if, say, Milka did something really cool in the past, then her family might be called "Milkaovna," or the "Daughters of Milka."

In this vein. Senontovich is the family name, not the patronym. She is the daughter of Ira, hence "Iranova." Senontovich could mean that her family was once from Senontov or Senontoff, and that her father's name means that his line was from the "Sons of Senontoff" or "Senontov," or that an important male ancestor of hers was named Senontoff or Senontov and he or she started his or her own family.

Therefore, "Vich" could be attached to the name of either a distant, ancient relative or a city or place ("Muscovich" means "Man of Moscow"). The "Iranova," on the other hand, which comes between her name and her surname, says that she is the daughter of Ira. Am I making any sense?

A look at another name that has a patronymic background...
A guy I know's last name is Torgerson, which means "Son of Torg," "Son Of Torger," or the like. At one point, this would have been literal, like how Leif Ericsson was the son of Eric the Red, but now it's just a family name. Eric's dad isn't Torg or Torger... At least, not publicly.

<p>"There is great disorder under Heaven, and the situation is excellent."
-Mao Tse-Tung</p>Edited by: The Great Nevareh at: 7/27/04 10:00 am

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:56 am

Ah, all right. Makes sense. <p>

"Never let your morals get in the way of doing what is right" - Salvor Hardin</p>

NebulaQueen

Unread postby NebulaQueen » Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:32 pm

Question: It says that she's been in the military for a while, but she only heard of Vaniyakna a year and a half ago. Considering the fact that he took power long before that, shouldn't she have heard of him before? And, being in the military, it'd make sense if she knew about him before talking to her father. <p>

<span style="font-size:xx-small;">
*Megaman sounds like a little girl*-Uncle Pervy, on the Voice Acting in MM8</span></p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=nebulaqueen>NebulaQueen</A] at: 7/27/04 11:33 pm

Return to Character Closet