Dance Magic!?

Character sheet archiving. Help with characters can be solicited here. This is also the place to talk Philsys or other RPing systems.
Choark

Dance Magic!?

Unread postby Choark » Sat Jun 05, 2004 3:56 am

Or Scott's running with a idea while its in his head. Feel free to hit me. Also feel free to hit me and say "NO! Naughty! You are a silly man!" Finally feel free to point out why this is a bad idea.

-edit: Cause of something Zero said-
-------------

Of the Natural schools of magic:

Dance Magic:

As old as Shamanism, Dancing magic (Boogeious Arcanum) was once a wildly popular magic when the people of the world were slightly more barbaric. This magic classed was first designed by none other then the moogles, who also wrote a few intructional books on the art. Dancing magic is different from other magic’s in that it doesn't use the magical aura of the user but the user uses the dances movement and there intense emotions to manipulate the magical aura of the world and people around them.

This could technically make Dance magic one of the most accessible magic’s of the world, as no great inner magical power is needed, however the "caster" needs to be able to almost control there emotions to a single state. Masters of Dance magic can make themselves feel intense anger, depression or happiness at a mere force of will and stay this way until another emotion is needed.

Dance Magic itself isn't very powerful. Its main use was not even in battle, but for "parties" were a magical dancer would lift the spirits of the tribe. Inside of battle it is used too help friends feel surges of power or rage, to take there abilities beyond what they thought they could do, or downcast there enemy, making them drop there weapons in terror or to give up from seer depression. How many people are affected by the Dance is dependant on how good the Dancer is.

Once Dancing the Dancer cannot stop the dance least they want the effects to be stopped, as such Dancers cannot defend themselves while they are casting. (If used in Phil System this could mean there base Parry is used with no dice mod OR they get no defence at all. If in windows it could mean a roll of 1 would hit them regardless). Nor can they attack.

Magical attacks are possible with Dancing magic, however to date only the greatest magical dancers are able to achieve this, and even then it was a low level simple fire spell.

-------------

So there ya go. Sort of stolen from FFX-2 of all things. Sort of stolen from Choark, as he had a Happy Dance (he was a mage and never even knew it). And sort of just running with me happy feelings.

Basically yeah, it’s designed to be a status effect thing. The details are technically up to the Dancers RPer, though I will note its not meant to be very powerful, so now Flare's or anything. One of the best things done with it is probably a suicidal dance, were all the enemies are made so depressed + suicidal they try to kill themselves.

But yeah =D Wheeee!

Now I'll find out this already exsists anyway. How hum! <p><div style="text-align:center">Image </div>
<div style="text-align:center">Cowgirl fanboy - Barbarian Ninja - Expert Mouse Catcher - Holder of the Iron Glasses Of Doom!</div></p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=choark>Choark</A]&nbsp; Image at: 6/7/04 2:19 am

FlamingDeth

Re: Dance Magic!?

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Sat Jun 05, 2004 6:48 am

We've had dancing as part of magic before, but not quite like this. Before it was just like a normal mage, only dance was used as a spell focus instead of chants or whatever. This more closely resembles spellsong bards, a wacky notion thought up by JoshuaDurron. <p>
<hr width="70%"><center>Superion, Autobot air gestalt, recently died protecting Los Angeles from a nuclear missile. Rest in peace. :(</center></p>

Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Sat Jun 05, 2004 10:45 am

Nezetta's had dances with various effects for some time :( <p>

<div style="text-align:center">
Image</div>
<div style="text-align:center">Why Barius has no family reunions.</div></p>

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Sat Jun 05, 2004 5:24 pm

I'm looking at her sheet now and none of her dancing has anything to do with magic. <p>
<hr width="70%"><center>Superion, Autobot air gestalt, recently died protecting Los Angeles from a nuclear missile. Rest in peace. :(</center></p>

Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Sat Jun 05, 2004 5:27 pm

Not yet, anyway. <p>

<div style="text-align:center">
Image</div>
<div style="text-align:center">Why Barius has no family reunions.</div></p>

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Sat Jun 05, 2004 5:53 pm

anotehr fun wai concept! still a bit jumbled because I've been making notes in a text document for some time!

Dance Magic <Mag/Agi/Wis>

Requires, in addition to the magic skill, [K] ranks in a dance style.

Example: [K]Fystali Flowing Rhythm - #
[K]Inustani Flaminco - #

The way I see it, magic, as a whole, has a basis in patterns. That's why incantations and the like are used, to keep track of said patterns. As for mages who don't use such, it's assumed that they have other ways of keeping tracks of patterns, or are so used to it that they can estimate.

Now, music is the same way: music is patterns of sound. Dancing and musical magic is another way of manipulating the patterns of magic with the patterns and rhythms of music. Different patterns will produce different effects. ~NebbieQ

Via this concept, several fields of magic can be included inside a single area of study, provided there is supplemental knowledge. The problem is that without many fields of study to draw from, this is a moot point.

Example: John Doe has 4 ranks in Dancing magic, and 4 ranks in Fystali Flowing Rhythm. With this, John has an fairly wide variety of moves to draw from. However, because of the passive nature of these steps, the magic will be passive as well, and poorly suited to combat.

As a further limitation, the number of techniques that may be produced from any one category(Read: [K] skill) is equivalent to the number of ranks/2. Therefore, at level one, John Doe may be able to dance the Fystali Flow very well, but he can only produce 2 different effects from it.

Dance magic (or this form of it) was created by the Fystal as a form of entertainment, and ritualistic combat. Just like alot of our slight of hand tricks today were made to please crowds, or how we'll sometimes break out a pair of boxing gloves and go at it. the actual effect of a spell is entirely dependant upon the caster, and the style of dancing chosen for a technique.
For example, the Fystali have a few forms of dance, the example mentioned earlier (the flow) being inspired by the sea. Most of it's effects will be water-related.
With as many stles of dance around as there are, it's open to alot of interpretation. <p>

Jeridan: Holder of the "Tastes like Chicken" Award.

"So you're afraid of a man who can't walk in sunlight, can't stand crosses, and is easily dispatched by WOOD?" ~Selrahc/KoD

"IM: ....my brother is a baby drinker." ~Ara</p>

Choark

Unread postby Choark » Sun Jun 06, 2004 7:27 am

Of course, with this world being largly magical, with an over abundance of a huge magical aura, created from the foundaions of magic itself *said with an over dramatic voice and with a hand raised to the sky* ... It makes sence that many different people have found many different ways to use and manipulate magic.

Least that is my excuse.

Well as long as magic Dance exsists its all groovy. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image </div>
<div style="text-align:center">Cowgirl fanboy - Barbarian Ninja - Expert Mouse Catcher - Holder of the Iron Glasses Of Doom!</div></p>

Vampire Jester Jinx

Unread postby Vampire Jester Jinx » Sun Jun 06, 2004 11:42 pm

*Sings* Dance magic dance, jump magic jump,......./david bowie impression.

and besides being completely unhelpful there, this concept amuses me. i'll edit this post with more content, as I reread and formulate thoughts. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>Edited by: Vampire Jester Jinx at: 6/6/04 11:43 pm

Return to Character Closet