My first Philsys Character, adjusted for 2.0

Character sheet archiving. Help with characters can be solicited here. This is also the place to talk Philsys or other RPing systems.
FinsterDieTragik

My first Philsys Character, adjusted for 2.0

Unread postby FinsterDieTragik » Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:56 pm

Bio: Jarteth was sold into slavery to a wizard when he was seven years old.His parents had just died and his mercenary uncle had found himself with a kid he didn't want.The wizard was a demanding master and worked Jarteth into the ground every day.If he made a mistake or took a break without permission the wizard would cause him pain with magic.
The wizard was very old however and died thirteen years later.Shockingly enough the wizard had developed a concious as he lay on his death bed contemplating the possibilites of after-life.He began to feel bad for how he had treated Jarteth,and it stated as much in his will.He left Jarteth his freedom and a sizable amount of coin that equalled just over the pay a servant would receive for thirteen years of service.
It wouldn't take away the memories of convulsing on the floor,vommitting blood while the wizard berrated him for some trivial mistake,but it restored a slight amount of his faith in people.Jarteth enjoyed his freedom for a few months,then let his thoughts drift to his uncle.He never was sure what he felt towards the man,some nights he was sure it was hate,some it seemed to be sorrow.Jarteth hired a retired veteran of the Inustan army,to teach him to fight with a sword and shield.
He trained with the man for nearly two years,even became friends of a sort.Then,when he could put off seeing his uncle no longer,he bought passage onto a ship that was sailing towards Doma..his homeland.Where he would find his uncle,put his sabre to the man's throat and ask him..why?

Name: Jarteth Lorn
RPer: Finsterdietragik
Race:Human
Height: 5"4
Weight: 190 pounds
Eyes: dark green
Hair:black

XP 0/1000
HP 75/75
MP 0/0
TP 20/20
Initiative 7 + (2d6)
AT/PA (modified for sword) 14/14
(modified to include shield and armor factor) 12/12

(One extra melee action from agility)

Stats:

Courage:4
Wisdom:1
Intuition:1
Charisma:1
Agility:3
Dexterity:3
Strength:4
Stamina:4
Magic aptitude:0

Equipment
Sabre Thrust 11 +d6,Slash 17 +2d4,24 +2d6 0/0 2
Studded Leather 11 -1/-1 15 4
Small Shield 25 -1/-1 15 2

Skills: (pretty sure thats 24 skill points unless any of those support skills are not half cost)

Swords-4
Shields-4
[s]Chink detection-4
[s]Resist pain-4
[s]Resist magic-4
[k]Potion knowledge-2
[k]Ritual magic knowledge-2
[k]Shadow magic knowledge-2
[k]General magic lore-4
[k]Military tactics-2
[k]War history-2
[k]Geography-2
[k]languages-4

Abilities:

[Sword - rank 2] TP- 5 Relentless assault - One extra attack
[Sword - rank 3] TP-4 Brutal strike- Recklessly strong slashing attack. x1.5 damage. If blocked or parried 30% chance of dropping sword,
10 + Sword Rank% chance of disarming opponent.(Unless blocked with shield or parried by opponent at least 2 more strength, then no chance of disarming opponent.)

[Shield - rank 1] TP - 3 Defensive focus- give up chance to attack to raise PA by one per shield rank.Can back up or move to side slowly while using this ability,cannot move towards opponent.

[Shield - rank 3] TP-4 Bash- Attack with shield. Damage = sheild rank * strength. If attack hits opponent is knocked back one foot and 30% chance of stun.

[Shield - rank4] TP-7 Ram- Charge into opponent,ramming with shield. Damage = Strength *2 + shield rank. If attacking from front 30% chance of knock down or stun. From side 50% chance from back 60% chance. Humanoid opponent will almost always be moved a few feet by this if it hits.

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=finsterdietragik@rpgww60462>FinsterDieTragik</A] at: 5/30/04 6:21 pm

FlamingDeth

Re: My first attempt at a Philsys character ...HEEELP

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Thu Apr 22, 2004 2:50 am

Most if it isn't bad, actually. I like the fact that he has all those magical knowledge skills, despite not actually being able to use magic. Makes a lot of sense, given his background. Unfortunately, I can't think of a place that allows slavery off the top of my head, the most I can say is read through the nation backgrounds on the Gaera guide.

As for what's wrong, it seems you're using 23 skill points and have 24 available, though with all the [s] and [k] skills there I could be wrong. Also, while it's not that great now, Relentless Assault is going to be monstrously unbalanced in the future, when he has a higher rank in Swords and tons more TP. I would suggest that it be some amount of TP per extra attack, with the amount of possible extra attacks set by the rank in Swords.

Other than that, not bad. <p>
<hr width="70%"><center>Superion, Autobot air gestalt, recently died protecting Los Angeles from a nuclear missile. Rest in peace. :(</center></p>

FinsterDieTragik

Thanks

Unread postby FinsterDieTragik » Thu Apr 22, 2004 4:54 am

I toned down Relentless attack,let me know if i should tone it down more.Thanks for the input and you were right I was only using 23 skill points.I fixed that as well.
Glad someone liked the magic knowledge but no magic ability idea. :D

I will read through the Nations for a likely canidate for slavery.
Thanks again.

Edited by: [url=http://b3.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=finsterdietragik@rpgww60462>FinsterDieTragik</A] at: 4/22/04 5:19 am

Uncle Pervy

Re: Thanks

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Thu Apr 22, 2004 2:27 pm

Slavery need not be a societial thing for it to take place. The wizard could have kept him as a slave illegally. This especially works well if the slave thinks it is legal slavery.

Also, congrats on having one of the very few characters who can legitimately have magic and pain resistence without it looking horridly tacked on as an afterthought to make the character "better"

I may suggest that you look through the skills a bit, and try to add in tad more to reflect what he does in his off time. Is he a bookish sort who studies magic and history; even though he can't use the former? Or is there more to him?

FinsterDieTragik

Good idea

Unread postby FinsterDieTragik » Thu Apr 22, 2004 7:04 pm

I hadn't thought of "he only thinks slavery is legal" but that works really well since he was so young when he was sold.
As far as all the magic knowledge,it is just sort of what he picked up from being a slave to a wizard for 13 years.
As mentioned in the bio the wizard was really old so Jarteth had to fetch and carry all sorts of books and ingredients,and because of that was often present while the wizard cast spells.The history stuff he got from talking with the army veteran who trained him for 2 years.I don't know how much the knowledge will "help" in the long run but I thought it went well with his story.
Thanks for the great idea on slavery,I read all the nation histories and none specifically mentioned slavery so I was at a loss.I edited his bio for Inustan since the monarchs let their different lords run the provinces,maybe a corrupt lord overlooks slavery,even if he didn't,with Jarteth thinking slavery is legal we wouldn't have run away anyway or tried to plead his case to someone.Considering how badly the wizard punished him for little mistakes,and thinking it was legal.
Really appreciate the help from both of you.

So on the overall he is acceptable ?

Edited by: [url=http://b3.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=finsterdietragik@rpgww60462>FinsterDieTragik</A] at: 4/22/04 7:39 pm

Return to Character Closet