My first character is finished!

Character sheet archiving. Help with characters can be solicited here. This is also the place to talk Philsys or other RPing systems.
RydWolf

My first character is finished!

Unread postby RydWolf » Tue May 18, 2004 10:49 am

<span style="color:red;">Character is nearly complete!
Background added and skills finalised. Please tell me if I've missed anything! </span>

THE BASICS
Name: Ringmarl the Bastard
RPer: RydWolf
Race: Human
Level: 1
XP: 0/1000
Max HP: 75
Max MP: 0
Max TP: 20
Initiative: 6+2d6

BACKGROUND
Name: Ringmarl
Race: Human
Hair: Dark brown, unkempt
Eyes: Teal
Height: 5' 10"

Ringmarl was born in an upstairs room in an out-of-the-way bar in the slums of Doma city. His mother was a tavern wench who had a habit of sleeping with patrons of the bar that she worked at.

Ringmarl was the result of one of these short term liasons and was named after the shiny "ringmarl" the man was wearing.

He was raised in the same room he was born in and started working in the bar at the age of 12, serving drinks and cleaning up during the rare times that the bar was closed.

He spent most of his free time watching the fights that often occured in a small courtyard area near the bar where he lived, idly wondering if any of the people there were his father.

He swiftly realising that his mother was as stupid as she was promiscuous, leaving the bar at 17 and signing up with a group of wagoneers who were in the habit of transporting goods to the city of Hubine, often crossing the river into Riva.

Ringmarl impressed the leader of these men with his abilities and after 2 months was placed in charge of a pair of wagons headed into Varrock to pick up medicines. Midway through the return trip the two other men with the wagon attempted to hijack the cargo and were delivered to the authorities in Doma city bound and gagged after Ringmarl had driven both wagons back singlehandedly.

Ringmarl works irregularly and he can often be found in assorted bars around the cities drinking with other teamsters.

STATS
Courage: +4
Wisdom: +2
Intuition: +2
Charisma: +4
Agility: +3
Dexterity: 0
Strength: +3
Stamina: +3
Magical Aptitude: 0

Base Attack / Parry - 12/12
Modified for whip and treated leather armor - 16/9
Modified for cudgel and armor - 11/12

EQUIPMENT
Weapons:
- Whip -
<Thrust=None / Slash=13+2d4 / Chop=19+2d6>
[url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=rydwolf>RydWolf</A] at: 5/26/04 3:32 am
[/i]

JoshuaDurron

Re: New roleplayer/character

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Tue May 18, 2004 12:28 pm

Interesting.

BUT!

That background is somewhat out of place with Gaera, or at least Doma. I suggest looking through the Gaera Guide a little to help there.

I see nothing wrong statistically speaking. You've calculated everything right, his skills match his personality, and he's not a combat twink. So far so good.

HOWEVER!

ALL knowledge skills are based on <Wis x 3>. That would include your etiquette and navigation knowledge skills. You can either change their base stats or (I would suggest) change them to support skills (maybe [s] Rough Living and [s]City Life, or just [s] Urban Navigation.)

Intimidate involves Charisma, as Charisma is how well you can influence people. You can't scare people if you suck at influencing them (or at least, not well.) That skill should have the base stats of <Cha/Cha/Int>. Since your character lacks Charisma, this would limit your intimidation abilities. I suggest rearranging your stats some. I notice he has a high dexterity, but doesn't seem to have any related skills (no ranged weapons, no picking of pockets or locks, ect.) You might shift some Dex points into Cha, then, to make up for it. Now, before you object and say something along the lines of, "But he's not a good talker/good looking/a people person," let me point out that Charisma in Philsys isn't just a measure of those things. It is more like saying how powerful a personality someone has. Taskmasters, although armed with whips, usually need a powerful personality to help keep their charges in check, or else said charges will turn on them. While this did happen to Ringmarl eventually, for him to have survived as long as he did, he would have had to have a powerful personality. Thus, higher Charisma = making sense. (Also, a decent Charisma is generally good. Trust me. ^_^)

Finally, most of your techniques should have numbers with them (by this I mostly mean dice rolls.) I have some good example techs, but since I am at school right now, and not at home, I don't have easy access too them. I'll pull them up for you at a later time. Two things in particular: Your Club techs probably won't be quite as powerful as you currently describe them, not until higher levels, and your "Sting" Whip technique makes little sense to me (you are possibly refering to something like DnD's Non-Lethal damage, or MP damage? Or what? A little help here please.)

Also, you're right, DO you have 4 unspent skill points? You put Ranks in Support and Knowledge skills, just like normal skills. It's just that they cost half as much as normal skills (thus 1 Rank for 1/2 a point, 2 ranks for 1 point, ect.) If you were to put 4 ranks in all the support and knowledge skills you have, you'd be at 32 skill points (by my count, correct me if I'm wrong.) Of course, you don't have to put 4 ranks in all those skills, so you could have 4 skill points left. Be sure to show how many ranks you have in all your skills. If you do have points left, Rumor Mongering or some other such skill might suit him.

::exhales deeply:: WELL, that's all I've got for you right now. Really, the character is well put together, he could just use a little tweaking to be brought in line with PhilSys. Hope that helps you some. ^_^ <p>

"Crazy is good." - Luffy, One Piece
</p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=joshuadurron>JoshuaDurron</A] at: 5/18/04 12:41 pm

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Tue May 18, 2004 2:16 pm

Note to Mr. Durron: Cha/Cou/Int for Intimidate. While it's been a point of debate in the past as to what the base stats are for it, it stands to reason that Cou would be in there somewhere, as it's hard to intimidate people when you're jittery and nervous around them. <p>
<hr width="70%"><center>Superion, Autobot air gestalt, recently died protecting Los Angeles from a nuclear missile. Rest in peace. :(</center></p>

Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Tue May 18, 2004 2:21 pm

Yes, the background doesn't quite fit in Doma- Rather, it doesn't quite fit much in quite a few places; most places I know of in Gaera wouldn't tolerate large slave-labor type fields, and said fields would be shut down rather quickly by the guard, if his background is set in Doma. <p>

<div style="text-align:center">
Image</div>
<div style="text-align:center">Why Barius has no family reunions.</div></p>

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Tue May 18, 2004 2:26 pm

While it wouldn't necessarily be "legel", per se, they'd probably get away with something like that in Riva somewhere. <p>
<hr width="70%"><center>Superion, Autobot air gestalt, recently died protecting Los Angeles from a nuclear missile. Rest in peace. :(</center></p>

Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Tue May 18, 2004 2:39 pm

True enough, but this would be a question to ask the creator of whatever country he chooses, rather than assume. <p>

<div style="text-align:center">
Image</div>
<div style="text-align:center">Why Barius has no family reunions.</div></p>

Banjooie

Unread postby Banjooie » Tue May 18, 2004 4:44 pm

If we're discussing CHA, shouldn't our local Charisma Whore (*coughPervycough*) check that?

Uncle Pervy

Re: .

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Tue May 18, 2004 4:49 pm

*Gets the Banj signal!*

I agree with Lorr's definition of Charisma.

I also agree with FD's definition of Intimidation, though. Charisma and Courage both play into it. <p>
-------------------------------------
NebbieQ: After all, nothing says romance like fighting the forces of Cobra and Druggies with a Rocket Launcher of 80s Justice.</p>

JoshuaDurron

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Tue May 18, 2004 7:44 pm

Actually, that made sense to me as well, but I was sure I had seen it defined as Cha/Cha/Int in the skill book. However, since I have looked and seen it is Cou/Cha/Int, I change my previous statement!

Also, I like Charisma. So I still think people should have it. o_o <p>

"Crazy is good." - Luffy, One Piece
</p>

RydWolf

Unread postby RydWolf » Wed May 19, 2004 12:32 am

*sigh*
Made an extensive reply but wouldn't post due to a "missing field"

OK here we go again.

STATS AND CHARISMA

I always considered charisma to be purely a measure of reliability. I'll swap some points from dex or agi into cha like you suggested.

With the dex and agility I thought them necessary to use a whip properly as I think of a whip as a ranged weapon, albeit with only 10 feet or so of range. Would dex, agi or str be tested when attempting to wrap the whip around a persons throat?

SKILLS

When reading the PhilSys guide I assumed that it was 1 point per level of skill, not (current skill level+1) points per level. My mistake.
Yes, that sounds like a good idea Joshua, swapping Urban Navigation into a support skill called City Life.
And the etiquette knowledge'll use the same stats as in the skill list? Woot.

BACKGROUND

The background's still very rough at this stage, once I've got the technical things out of the way I'll work on the 'simpler' things like appearance and history.
I'll check up the Gaera information oce I finish posting this.

Banjooie

Unread postby Banjooie » Wed May 19, 2004 11:32 am

That's what your back button is for n_n

RydWolf

Unread postby RydWolf » Wed May 19, 2004 11:38 am

Ahhh, you see that's the funny thing. When I hit back...
There was nothing there. It was all blank.

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Mon May 24, 2004 2:32 pm

Well...lessee...

He seems to have gone to Glassmaker Sqaure roughly 9 years before the events that led to Enlil's creation happened.

Aside from that, a good simple background.

I would point out that the choking tech does have a weakness to the whip being severed. And that suffocation tends to cause unconsciousness before death.

Another oddity I note, and this seems to be an oddity in the rules, is that somehow a whip is doing 20-32 points of lethal damage with a 'chop'. Given that whips are made to inflict pain, rather than wounds, that seems really high. I mean, whips are used on livestock, and slaves, because they don't inflict lasting wounds, just pain. Otherwise, you might as well beat them with a board.

Thus, I suggest that only 1/4 of a whip's damage actually be lethal damage (Caused from blood loss and the like) and the rest be subdual damage. <p>
-------------------------------------
NebbieQ: After all, nothing says romance like fighting the forces of Cobra and Druggies with a Rocket Launcher of 80s Justice.</p>

RydWolf

Unread postby RydWolf » Tue May 25, 2004 8:30 am

"Subdual damage" eh?

Sorry, I just used the weapon information in the items list.
There wouldn't by any chance be a link to all this assorted information? Things like how stun works, this "subdual damage" and other incidentals that don't crop up in the regular information but can still cause headaches down the track?

And regarding the Glassmaker Square folly, wow.
It's impressive the breadth of knowledge you longterm roleplayers have.
I might just have him sign up with the wagoneers straight after leaving the bar then.

With the choking tech, perhaps blackout after 5+STA rounds?
Screw the damage.

<span style="color:red;">Other than those things though, everything's alright? No missing information in techs? No missing stat information anywhere?</span>

Banjooie

Re: Character nearly done.

Unread postby Banjooie » Tue May 25, 2004 10:59 am

Diran: Hm. Shall we?

Fenron: Yes, yes. Before /Kelne/ gets at it again. Biting our style. Just not kosher.

Diran: Right, right. Ringmarl. Well, let's start with the history. The man was born in a bar, lived his entire life in the bar till he was 17, and then he joined a caravan. Okay...

Fenron: But then he...beat up a bunch of bandits singlehandedly? With what training?

Diran: Fenron, he beat up those bandits with the training one can only get from the self defense one learns by growing up with a whore.

Fenron: Of course! His mother taught him how to pimpslap!

Diran: Precisely. Now. ...Here's Nagan, with the stats.

Nagan: All seems well and good..Charisma seems a touch high for a 12 year old boy serving drinks his entire life...I mean, on the one hand, it makes sense, but on the other hand....eew..

Diran: Can we /not/ think about what might happen to the son of a whore who is serving drinks and happens to have +4 Charisma?

Nagan: Right, right. He's got no dexterity. Don't you /NEED/ a bit of dexterity to use a whip properly? I mean, it'd kill my wrists, myself, so I don't know, but....

Yinnea: Ooh! Yeah, you totally need dexterity to use a whip! <3 Just like when you have handc-

Diran: ...I am slowly growing to hate you with a fiery passion, Yinnea. I don't want to think about a +4 CHA pretty boy with a whip. Okay? I just don't. Now. On to the techs.

Meldon: Well, uh, nothing really interesting here, he can use his whip, trip people, and strangle them. Then again, I can't think of a heck of a lot else one would /do/ with a whip...

Yinnea: I can! I can! I- *frozen*

Diran: Thank you, Meldon. This has been a Neo Vanic Assessment of your character. Have a nice day.
<p><Chat> <Matto says, "What's up?"
<Chat> <Prince_Herb says, "Angst."
<Chat> <Prince_Herb says, "Drama."
<Chat> <Prince_Herb says, "Betrayal."
<Chat> <Prince_Herb says, "Plushies."</p>

RydWolf

Re: Character nearly done.

Unread postby RydWolf » Tue May 25, 2004 12:53 pm

YES! Thankyou Banjooie!
Yes. This is the stuff I need!

Background
Backstory has been modified, he started work in the bar a year earlier and left 2 years earlier. It also took 5 months more before the boss of the wagoneers trusted him enough to let him lead.
And Ringmarl spent the little free time he had at the bar watching the pit fighters in the slums. (not much I know, but better than nothing)

His mother was NOT A WHORE! Just a very stupid, very slutty woman.
Don't whores get payed afterwards?
Diran would've earned himself the pimpslap from hell if Ringmarl had heard that comment

He beat up TWO, that's right TWO men who tried to steal the cargo. And these were the sneaky weak kind of men at that.

Charisma
Apparently charisma is more than a measure of physical attractiveness! I know, I know it shocked me when I was told that. Charisma also seems to define how well a person relates to other people through persuasion, fear or in this case, intimidation. Ringmarl developed most of his charisma after he left the slums through working with the wagoneers.

In fact Ringmarl learnt most of what he knows now after he left the slums.
Animal Handling? Somethings got to pull those wagons. Barfighting? Well bars and fights are a natural combination.

Dexterity
And lastly. . .the dexterity. When the PhilSys process began I was switching between dex and agility trying to work out which was better for the whip. Dexterity seemed to be designed for fine motor skills like lock-picking or writing whereas agility was for leaping about and dodging arrows like Neo on Dr.Pepper.

From all the information I've read about weaponskills and item descriptions neither AGI or DEX are needed to use a whip. Sad, but legal. And since Ringmarl isn't the best guy with his hands (zero is the Average Joe score for a stat) DEX was zero instead of AGI.

<span style="color:red;">I thought that was a pretty good review considering the other Neo Vanic Assessment I've read. Poor, poor Nate Skywalker.</span>

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=rydwolf>RydWolf</A] at: 5/25/04 1:00 pm

wkz

Re: Character nearly done

Unread postby wkz » Wed May 26, 2004 3:46 am

"I thought that was a pretty good review considering the other Neo Vanic Assessment I've read. Poor, poor Nate Skywalker. "

Yup. Either the New Vanics are losing their touch, or you made a Very Well designed character that even they cannot pick apart too much. I'm inclined to say the latter, both because its true, and for reasons of my continued health....

Note: I agree that DEX is needed for a whip (all the minute movements needed to make the whip move a certain way). Well, its your character...

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=wkz@rpgww60462>wkz</A] at: 5/26/04 3:51 am

Banjooie

Unread postby Banjooie » Wed May 26, 2004 11:40 am

Diran: You do realize, of course, that we are the Neo Vanists. And furthermore, you'll note that he does not have many skills. Skills generally make up half of the Neo Vanist assessment, as we're generally more inclined to Neo Vanic Mathematics, rather than the kind required to perform these calculations.

Return to Character Closet