A new person and character.

Character sheet archiving. Help with characters can be solicited here. This is also the place to talk Philsys or other RPing systems.
Gustave Knights

A new person and character.

Unread postby Gustave Knights » Thu May 06, 2004 12:46 am

Ah, Hola's.... I'll go ahead and toss out a freestyle sheet, since the philsys stuff hurts my head... Not the math, the math's easy (Although thanks to my lack of DnD I have no idea what 1d6 is other than possibly 1 six-sided die...) but the skills and such... Yar.

Anywho... Here he be:

Name: Gustave Knights
RPer: Gustave Knights
Race: Human Mutant (Knight's family "Super-human Strength" gene)

Appearance:
Height: 6'4
Eye color: Robust Green
Hair color: Golden Blond

Detailed:
A steadfast man, Gustave carries a cheery shine in his robust green eyes. His Golden Blond hair is short, except for a lock that sticks out from in front of his right side.
He wears a black long jacket over a simple shirt with a cross of leather and fabric shoulder pauldrons. Gus also wears pair of heavily robust jean-like pants, and a pair of terrain boots.
He stands 6'4", and weighs 245 lbs, most of it muscle that doesn't bulge out. He has a solid build and walks with confidence, either hands in his coat pockets, or a broader gait with his sword resting on his shoulder, held in one hand.

Gustave's Sword's Appearance: If you know what a San Battou looks like, you've got a good understanding of what this sword looks like.
This solid steel sword is about twice Gus's height in length, as wide as his shoulders (About 2ft) at the hilt's extreme as thick as his hand (about 2 inches), which slopes slightly into a point as it goes up the blade. The Grip is wood fused onto a section of the steel core of the blade, and it is made to be primarily two handed, being long enough to go from Gus's Elbow. It is counterbalanced by the blade itself, situated in a triangle groove at the base of the blade.
Its construction allows for extreme durability with incredibly density thanks to Gus's strength, and its forge-hardened edge is a great cutter, though it is large and heavy enough so that only people of equal or greater strength than Gustave can use it, at least one handed like Gus can.
The sword also has molten gold runes running up both sides, binding the blade together, and shifting the laws of physics around it. When Gus carries it, only things that it touches feel it's true weight, and the runes seem to counterbalance the force of inertia, allowing Gus to swing the sword at normal velocity. The runes are forge-hardened onto the blade, and nigh-impossible to remove, even with magic.

Personality: Gus could be called an oink-headed barbarian, but that's only his sense of fashion. He's a light hearted kind of cocky type of guy that loves to have fun. Gus has a steadfast sense of honor and, although he doesn't like flaunting it, he possesses a decent intellect. He vehemently refuses to use any sword except his own one. He is capable of being ambidextrous, but is mostly right-handed.

Background:
The Knights family was always one of warriors, mostly mercenaries, but the money they were payed was only the material part of the deal. Mostly a Doman-based family, there have been incidents involving them, although most are rumors of tree's flying, large hills suddenly becoming gravel, and heavier than thou weapons modifying the landscape. Naturally the government investigate these claims, but every report turned up false, although there were several strangely placed 'shrines' around the investigation site.
The family is older than most, thanks to longer than average lives (Oldest Knights was recorded at 118) and has many traditions, the most notable of which would be the forging of a personal and lifelong weapon. Up to this right of passage, the children are taught rudimentary smarts (Physics, reading, writing, useful knowledge) and morals, along with blacksmithing. Unlike normal blacksmith's, the Knight's family is more laid back, and promotes a flexible forging technique so the independent personality of the forger shines through.
The 'strong' members of the family are mostly men, but some women have been recorded as having the Knights' strength.

Speaking of the Knights strength, the reason they have it, well, even the family doesn't know for sure, and several stories are told. They range from a faulty spell to turn Giants into humans, a coupling between an incredably powerful dragon and human, an accidental spell on the mother while she was carrying... But the most popular story passed down the line is that fate had selected them to wait for a 'Chosen one' who would affect the course of a world, but which generation would help them, or what world remains a mystery...

Gustave is the most pronounced member to date, mostly because of his sword, and his friendly and outgoing nature. During his childhood and early teens, his Family knew he was special, a fact made quite evident after he lifted up his dad at age 8!

At age 16, he was eligible to engage in the Knights Family right of passage... The forging of his personal weapon. Since he could dead lift a cow in each arm with no effort, he opted for a time consuming, yet very rewarding, huge blade. It took him 4 years to complete, but it was a masterpiece. Powerful, and personal, a testament to what Gustave was capable of accomplishing.

Sticking close to home, he didn't wander far with his sword, and he trained in brawler-style unarmed combat, since he couldn't lug his blade around everywhere without wrecking-ball results. Gus's family had taught him to be resourceful, and his parents helped him in teaching hand-to-hand combat, though it was mostly self learned. 4 Years of that, and finally, Gus was ready for the world, ready for the adventure.

Edit: Edited!

Edited again!

Phew... There. Anything else?

Edited by: Gustave Knights at: 5/11/04 6:18 pm

Vampire Jester Jinx

Re: A new person and character.

Unread postby Vampire Jester Jinx » Thu May 06, 2004 3:36 am

Alright. I was gonna point out somethings before the wolves arrive. And by wolves I mean the caring family here at RPGWW. :D

At any rate. You seem to like the word robust... Groovy. Good word. But if you're going to make long posts to board rps, you'll have to whip out the thesaurus so things don't come off as repetitive. Good writing abilities are really enforced here, to keep the standards up. It's not necessary, but you may find yourself less and less accepted into rps, or criticized. Other than being repetitious I don't see anything else wrong with your writing. Groovy.

Observation DOS. He's a big guy. A right manly man. That's fine and good. But he carries a sword that is TWICE his already staggering height? By the laws of physics that's just silly. Really it is. And I imagine soon other posts here will echo my sentiment. The thing would weigh a ton, (you've already answered that problem by making him godly strong. i'll get to that later.) And, if strapped to his back or side, he'd more than likely fall over or simply be unable to balance his dang self. Not to mention have trouble with doors. And you know being inside. And many other things.

Okeedoklee. The issue of the gargantuan sword aside for a moment, let's look at your background. Mercenaries? Yep good. Not too out of the ordinary I guess... If his family is this legendary family of mercenaries, and all those "rumors" were true, I do believe some form of government would come to investigate etc.

Alrighty. His strength. Let me see... Race......Human. Now. We gotta do something about this backstory, like expand if he's a human who hefts cows, fathers, mountains, ogre wenches, and giant ass swords about with ease. Even at that size, I find it HIGHLY unlikely a guy could do that. So. Is he a mutant? Is his whole family like this, and perhaps he isn't' human at all? Is it a magical curse? Or perhaps just being far too ridiculously overpowered. A manly man can lift big things by golly, and do some real devastation on the whole power meter, but I don't see people going about hefting cows in the air for shits and giggles.

Alright. Back to the sword. So the family, aside from being accomplished warriors, are also blacksmiths. Blacksmiths of serious badassedness. Because it takes a damn lot of skill to just POOF Gonzo sword of spanking plus 2.

So he's an unarmed brawler. That makes sense, since his blade is pretty much impossible. Who taught him? If this family full of blacksmiths and mercs that reportedly tote around huge weapons are all hand to hand combat experts?...... Perhaps he had a teacher? Perhaps he went to a school. If he stayed close to home (where is home? Is it a quaint and eccentric mountain lodge, a noble estate outside doma, some groovy digs in doma cities slums?) If he was close to a city, perhaps he had a trainer, or took on fights with drunks at bars? If he's in a little hut in the middle of nowhere, this seems more and more unlikely since he didn't wander far from home so he could make his bigass blade.

ALRIGHT. winding up. I promise. Why did he make this sword if it is impossible to use? Why have it, devote so much time on it, if it is nothing but a showcase item. That's well and good, but likely doesn't make as much sense. Maybe go into more detail on his family traditions and rights of passage. Training with dad maybe working as his apprentice for hours and hours and days and days learning to make weapons, building up to his big moment?

Alright. I'm through pointing out what i think others will later.

But....I do have a few groovy things I have to say about your character.

1. I see no angsty evil mysterious past. That rocks. You get cookie points. He's a cool friendly guy. He doesn't hate the world. He might even be approachable and good to have a drink with in a pub. Right on.

2. You stayed away from the hideous stereotypical cloaked figure, red and black, overworked character look.

3. MAJOR MAJOR love for actually reading the site first and putting some thought into incorporating him into Doma. With a little more work he'll fit in nicely in this rping world.

Welcome to the board. The hardest part is almost over. I'm Jinx. Groovy to meet you. Here's a complimentary pineapple. Enjoy your stay. Need anything, any help, yatta yatta Get on AIM (we do quite a bit of role playing on aim, so you might want an account anyhow!) and IM me at OMG Dirty. Thanks! :D <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>Edited by: Vampire Jester Jinx at: 5/6/04 3:42 am

Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Thu May 06, 2004 6:07 am

He lifts cows. Dead cows. In each hand. Effortlessly.

What the fuck.

What. The. Fuck. <p>

<div style="text-align:center">
Image</div>
<div style="text-align:center">Why Barius has no family reunions.</div></p>

Choark

Unread postby Choark » Thu May 06, 2004 6:38 am

I did do another little bit longer post but it was lost: I'll re say other stuff later but for now

Shini: ..dude. Honestly. He can dead lift a cow. Dead lift. Not lift a dead cow you twonk. Dead lift. as in standing still, arms around and pull the thing off the ground. Either you're being ffar too silly, or far too critical. Either way this caused me to laugh at you.

You silly sausage.

: also with a Sword like that he's make a good barbarian ninja. - You could just make it a mans height you know. That at least was all the rage in ye old.. Germany or France. Can't remember. Anywho - seeems alright to me. I don't have any issues but others will, I'm sure. Big sword is cool fantasy at least - though in Doma you'll get lots of girls pointing and giggerling about Penis Envy.

=D So Welcome! <p><div style="text-align:center">Image </div>
<div style="text-align:center">Cowgirl fanboy - Barbarian Ninja - Expert Mouse Catcher - Holder of the Iron Glasses Of Doom!</div></p>

Banjooie

Unread postby Banjooie » Thu May 06, 2004 1:11 pm

Diran: ...Alright, men, and Yinnea. Let's get to work. 's not Philsys, but we'll do what we can.

Nagan: He's certainly robust.

Fenron: Yes. :D But yeah, otherwise, basic tall fighter type guy. Fair enough.

Yinnea: ...a twelve foot eight inch sword? That thing'd snap like a twig if you actually hit anything with it. What on earth do you /need/ a twelve foot eight inch sword for?

Diran: Well, for those who have trouble 'pleasing the lad*MALLETED*

Yinnea: Anyway. 'Capable of being ambidextrous, but chooses to be right handed'. This is like saying 'Capable of being bisexual, but chooses to be straight.' It doesn't make any sense. He can use either hand; He prefers the right. That makes sense.

Diran: I think everyone's touched on our points left already. Go have fun, cow lifter.

Jinto: He bothers me. Greatly.

JoshuaDurron

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Thu May 06, 2004 1:45 pm

Things in no way related to the character, (because everyone beat me to them) but that you might find useful to know.

1) There are ways to fix that image. I don't personally know what they are, but they exist. I think there's a note about it in the testing forum. People will harass you about that kind of stuff, so you might want to get that straightened out.

2) 1d6 is, indeed, a six sided die. The formula works like this (number)d(number). The first number refers to how many dice your throw. 'd' means die or dice. The second number is how many sides the dice should have. So 1d6 is one six sided die, 1d8 is one eight sided die, and 2d20 is a sign of god modin- er, is two twenty sided dice. Philsys skills are a little more out there. Consult with a Philsys person if you serriously want to make a PS sheet for your character. Jak, AM, Div, or myself know a thing or two, and you can ask them/us questions, provided you can wrestle up their AIM handles. Mine is Shadowfist Q. Good luck catching me on. :( <p>

"Crazy is good." - Luffy, One Piece
</p>

The Great Nevareh

Quite a blade, quite a blade...

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Thu May 06, 2004 2:34 pm

I know I'm just harping on something so many other people have talked about, but the thing that gets me the most is that sword. I'm pretty sure I shouldn't be speaking, though, because I'm still a foolish newbie.
This isn't about using it in a fight. This is about practicality.

1- How do you carry it around? Twice your height means that you might have some trouble walking through doorways without extreme planning.

2- The blade might not be as fragile as Banjooie says it would be (It seems a bit more proportionally valid than your standard longsword), but you would need a HYUUUUGE grip on that thing in order for you to even try to get the leverage to use it. If you don't know what I'm talking about, try picking up something long, thin, and heavy at one extreme end. A normal-sized grip would snap off like pocky in your mouth. (Mmmmm... pocky...)

I'm not sure if Jinx covered this point since I'm illitera- I mean... erm... having trouble remembering, but this character seems to have a great deal of combat orientation. I have yet to see combat happen. Sure, I'm not the best source for this type of thing, but then again (I think, but I'm not sure about this) there's more to RPing here than swingin' swords and drinkin' ale.

That's about it. I think. I dunno. DON'T YELL AT ME! *cowers* <p>"There is great disorder under Heaven, and the situation is excellent."
-Mao Tse-Tung</p>

Uncle Pervy

Re: Quite a blade, quite a blade...

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Thu May 06, 2004 2:56 pm

Nevarah, and everyone else, have assessed things correctly. <p>
-------------------------------------
NebbieQ: After all, nothing says romance like fighting the forces of Cobra and Druggies with a Rocket Launcher of 80s Justice.</p>

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Thu May 06, 2004 3:21 pm

I personally like the thought of lifting dead cows better.

Of course, I read this at 5 AM while searching for an elusive image, so I was only half paying attention. Still, COWS. What the fuck. <p>

Image</div>

Vampire Jester Jinx

Unread postby Vampire Jester Jinx » Thu May 06, 2004 4:24 pm

I missed this earlier. It was like three when i wrote that.

What's his purpose in life? Is he just a dude with a big ass sword that fights, becuase honestly there needs to be more. Is he a merc bent on earning as much money as possible, does he have gambling needs to feed, does he make an honest living, what the his goal?

Because I imagine, big damn dude with a big damn sword doesn't pay much, unless he beats up priests for lunch money.

>.> ooh. That came out uncharacteristically sarcastic. WHEEEEEEEEEE. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

Gustave Knights

Ok, time to address the critics...

Unread postby Gustave Knights » Thu May 06, 2004 5:13 pm

Alright, I'll go down one at a time...

Jinx: The character's quite old, back when I didn't have as big a lexicon, and while I have used him a bit more, I have still kept that general description. Robust is a groovy word.

Yes his sword is big. Big enough to defy the laws of Physics! Lol, anyways: There's a reason why he's also a good unarmed fighter. He can't bring his sword into anything smaller than a castle gate or such, though with a little ingenious maneuvering he can go through a tunnel, but there are no straps or such. He literally has the weapon either ready to use, or resting on his shoulder. When Gus IS required to go into small places that even ingenious positioning can't compensate, he just leaves it around.
The thing's big and heavy enough so that anyone this side of god would have trouble moving it without help.

Hmmm.... Yes I shall expand on that. The Knight's family has always been incredibly strong. Since it's a gene thing I could call them mutants... But other than that they're completely human, so a small edit is warranted. -meh's-
Poof? That's 4 years into a sword... That's one helluva long poof!

Hmmm.... Brawler's tend to be self taught, though he could have had some pointer's from his dad and granddad n' such... I'll put that in there.
Whoever said the sword was showcase? It's like a Claymore, only bigger, and broader, and heavier. It's an honest to goodness usable sword. It can cut. It can parry. It's a sword. Just really big. I'll go ahead and elaborate on the family things though, since that does make a great deal of sense.

Shini- Why would he lift dead cows? Live ones are much heavier.

Chaork: Barbarian Ninja? Naw, Gus is more like the medieval tank than anything else.

Banjooie: Again with the ornamental sword... The sword is actually a sword! The only thing that breaks when you kick it is your foot! And even if you could break the outer sword, there's no way you could break the core of the blade.
I took another thing from the site, or rather forum, where Ambidexterity seems to be a learned quality, not an inherent one. This is that with a bunch of fluff on it. Besides, there are a lot of heterosexual people around, who could be bisexual but they choose to be gay.

Josh: Your board is weird, each post is independent of the actual user profile. I took that little red x out, and I know how to fix it, since I'm a net geek/nerd and all.

Thanks for the small lesson in dice games!

Nevareh: 1) I already addressed one. He either has it ready for use, or carries it resting on his shoulder, like Santa Claus carrying his bag.
2) Gus knows about leverage, although some more description on the hilt would be good.

Pervy: I noticed.

Shin, again: Yes, but dead can be classified various ways. Why would he lift a bunch of bones without the meat on them? Anyone can do that.

Jinx, Again: Hmmm.... I better put him as adventurous then, with money as a side thing.

Now then... to edit!

BTW: I have an AIM account. The most original one out there: Afro Moogle. Muaha!

Edited by: Gustave Knights at: 5/6/04 5:16 pm

The Great Nevareh

Re: Ok, time to address the critics...

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Thu May 06, 2004 5:54 pm

Erm... There are PLENTY of people who are both of a theiving inclination and capable of walking off with pretty much anything. You don't have to be physically strong to Magick something.

Wield one-handed? Nuh-uh. He would have to manage to put at least twice the weight of the sword in force through one arm. A sword that large might weight TONS. You can't have a regular mundane human with that level of strength. No human, in the real world, no matter how much training or how well-off genetically, can apply that much force. So, he's either enchanted with super-strength AND super-weight, he has the ability to manipulate gravity, or the sword is enchanted to be lightweight and easy to wield, even if it is just for his family line. If none of these are the case, your character is NOT human. He may LOOK human, but he ISN'T human.

This character has "Old Character Syndrome." It's too close to your heart to change, so I recommend making a new one that is slightly more based in the reality of this site. Many people who RPed elsewhere in the past have this problem. <p>"There is great disorder under Heaven, and the situation is excellent."
-Mao Tse-Tung</p>

Gustave Knights

Unread postby Gustave Knights » Thu May 06, 2004 6:03 pm

Meh, I wanted to see if I could get away with that. But a human can carry the thing with one hand if rested on his shoulder.

And whoever said I wasn't flexable enough to change the details about him? As people grow, so do ideas. Muaha.

As for the magick stealing thing... Who would steal a gigantic hunk of metal?

The Great Nevareh

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Thu May 06, 2004 6:10 pm

Kleptomaniacs need no reason! Muaha!

We aren't being critical of you, and you shouldn't take anything anyone says personally. But, if you post a character and ask for comments, you're going to recieve comments and criticism. If you post a character and no one's ever seen it or you before, you're going to recieve comments and criticism. The only way you can AVOID recieving comments and criticism is by NOT posting a character. <p>"There is great disorder under Heaven, and the situation is excellent."
-Mao Tse-Tung</p>

Vampire Jester Jinx

Unread postby Vampire Jester Jinx » Thu May 06, 2004 10:37 pm

:\ Why does your character want the sword, if one person wants it, you can quarantee, no matter how freaky, someone else will dig it. Not to mention with the assorted (FREAKS) citizens of Doma, there would be attempts on making off with it. No matter how big the burden. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

Gustave Knights

Unread postby Gustave Knights » Thu May 06, 2004 10:42 pm

Hmm... True. Oh wells, gives an excuse for Gus to pound an 'inocent' person. Muaha.

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Fri May 07, 2004 1:29 am

Pounding random people has the bad side effect of getting someone arrested in Doma :( <p>

Image</div>

The Great Nevareh

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Fri May 07, 2004 1:32 pm

Welcome to Doma, land of the REALISTIC LEGAL SYSTEM. Pounding someone can lead to incarceration, so can attacking someone, using unliscenced magic, lugging around potentially dangerous items in crowded areas, blowing things up, not being particularly nice to a guardsman, practicing the grittier parts of your religion in the streets, being offensive (whether you mean to or not) to the nobility etc. etc.
Ahh, nothing like a society built to deal with adventurers. <p>"There is great disorder under Heaven, and the situation is excellent."
-Mao Tse-Tung</p>

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Fri May 07, 2004 4:12 pm

Actually, you can be fairly rude to the nobility for the most part, as long as it doesn't border on harassment.

It's the royalty and higher-ranking members of the government that you can't rag on. Though some of them also happen to be nobles. <p>
-------------------------------------
NebbieQ: After all, nothing says romance like fighting the forces of Cobra and Druggies with a Rocket Launcher of 80s Justice.</p>

JoshuaDurron

Unread postby JoshuaDurron » Fri May 07, 2004 5:31 pm

Of course, one big fact that many people never seem to take into account in these situations is, it is possible to elude the guards. For a substantially long time.

Note that it is possible. Not easy. Amatures are best fleeing the country, eluding the guards for long periods of time takes practice. <p>

"Crazy is good." - Luffy, One Piece
</p>

Gustave Knights

Unread postby Gustave Knights » Fri May 07, 2004 6:44 pm

Quote:
Welcome to Doma, land of the REALISTIC LEGAL SYSTEM. Pounding someone can lead to incarceration, so can attacking someone, using unliscenced magic, lugging around potentially dangerous items in crowded areas, blowing things up, not being particularly nice to a guardsman, practicing the grittier parts of your religion in the streets, being offensive (whether you mean to or not) to the nobility etc. etc.

Oh good, hence Gus is protected by thieves while in Doma. They get the blame, Gus get's his sword.

If I remember correctly there's a lot of space in Doma too. Plus, guards are typically easy to intimidate. I mean, wouldn't you wet your pants if you had a sharpened ton of metal staring right at you?

Plus, whoever said Gus would stick in Doma? Adventurer's tend to roam, if I remember the correct version of 'Adventure.'

The Great Nevareh

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Fri May 07, 2004 8:14 pm

Ahh, but you are wrong on a few levels- 1- Guards in Doma are used to dealing with catastrophe and chaos. They're pretty unflappable, difficult to intimidate and damn near impossible to bribe. If they aren't intimidated by a powerful wizard demon floating above them and raining death in astounding quantities, chances are they aren't going to be intimidated by much at all. 2- If you have a 12-foot sword, NOTHING provides the amount of space you need unless you're NOT in a city. 3- You'd be surprised how often adventures never leave the metropolis, and 4- It's a lot easier for a thief to prove you assasulted him than for you to prove that a thief tried to steal your weapon. Breaking the rules breaks your back in Doma, and most adventures start and potentially end there, at least in Gaera Main. <p>"There is great disorder under Heaven, and the situation is excellent."
-Mao Tse-Tung</p>

Gustave Knights

Unread postby Gustave Knights » Fri May 07, 2004 10:27 pm

Well that wasn't included in the general description...

But for a twelve-foot sword, there is plenty of room in enclosed places. After all in RPG's there's always the incredibly large cave that can fit a dragon, which is clearly larger than 12-ft tall.

Plus medieval streets rarely have overhangs, except in castle towns, and an already impressive height pretty much ensures he can heft the blade vertically over his head, and everyone else's.

While the guards may be unflappable, can they withstand brute force? Yes Gus will mostly likely get his butt handed to him for taking on a guard, but it'd take a pretty good magic user to bring Gus down.

While this is all well and good, it is based on things that have a small chance of happening. While there may be some people who might also want Gus's blade, there are even fewer who could actually get it.

Plus Gaera Main is a pretty big place. At best, odds would be around 100-1 of Gus's sword remaining where he leaves it, sticking out of the ground, lying on the side of the road, etc.

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Fri May 07, 2004 11:58 pm

Here! Allow me to deflect your points.

1. Just because something works in an RPG, doesn't mean it will work here. A cave like that might exist in Gaera, but that doesn't mean that said character will ever go there. And also, many cities during the feudal era employed overhangs and the like, especially in crowded residential areas and the like.

2. Guards rarely attempt to take someone down solo, from what I know. And our Gus probably couldn't withstand a rapid barrage of crossbow bolts all through-out his body. Or a rather stunning (See, folks, I'm funny!) pain spell.

3. If you stick a blade into the ground, it will become scuffed up and rusty. (But, of course, he could just pass the Tetanus off as a special attack!!) Tossing a blade on the ground will most likely chip it, especially given the mass of this great creature of wasted metal. Gravity is spiteful that way.

LASTLY: If there's been so much 'debate' (as we in the business call it), then obviously something here just isn't going to work, no matter how you spin it. I heartily suggest rethinking several key aspects. Roleplaying here is never just "Kill the evil guy! And take the evil guards out first! And beat up the shoeshine on the way to the evil castle because he walks funny!" It's more logical than, with fights happening when they would make sense. Perhaps go for something not so "OMFG HARDCORE!" and "Dude, that's badass!" (I suggest model ships in bottles. Everyone loves those!)

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Sat May 08, 2004 12:06 am

So that's what all my RPs have been missing - a huge underground cavern with a dragon in it. And here was me populating cramped tunnels with animated suits of armour, incorporeal wraiths and drow. What was I thinking?

As for the guards withstanding brute force, they tend to gang up on people with crossbows. These are fairly smart guards we're talking about here.

All of which is quite a diversion from the question of why anyone would want a giant sword in the first place. One I still can't fathom. I honestly don't think he has to worry about anyone taking it unless he annoys someone. <p>"80% of my so-called friends would happily push me in front of a bus. Of course, the next time I saw them, I'd be driving the bus." - David McPhale, as Rob Muldoon</p>

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Sat May 08, 2004 12:08 am

I should also note- The guards aren't intimidated easily at all. Nor will a big man with swords even come close to scaring them, considering one of the highest ranking guards is a swordsman who's fairly large himself. And as others have said- No matter how big you are, being pincousined by several dozen crossbow bolts is gonna take someone out.

As far as the sword goes- Even if he can carry the thing, it's gonna be unweildy as fuck, and likely slow to swing. He should probably be ready to be stabbed, slashed, shot, what have you- Multiple times. <p>

Image</div>
<div style="text-align:center">Why Barius has no family reunions.</div></p>Edited by: Shinigori V2&nbsp; Image at: 5/8/04 12:11 am

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Sat May 08, 2004 12:15 am

Well Kelne, I think this guy isn't a mercenary or whatever at all! He's really a wandering chef-master, and his sword is used as an enormous frying pan. Just imagine the flapjacks he could crank out!

Also, if he's holding it straight out, horizontally, then gravity again would punch you in the eye, because the torque would be so great as to launch our purely theoretical chef-master (With a degree in Ship-in-a-bottle building) Gus into space! From there, he assaults his foe with a blinding laser of pure Hardcore.

Gustave Knights

Unread postby Gustave Knights » Sat May 08, 2004 12:33 am

-el blink blink-

The character was origionally designed with superhuman strength. With superhuman strength comes stamina. Plus, Crossbows tend to fire in a straight line. Longbows would be the only true threat Gus couldn't improvise.
A sword that big suffices as a better than-average shield.

And if your being this logical, then why is there magic? The antithesis of logic?

Yar.

Perhas an approximately 9'6" sword would deflate most of your arguements? With the ability to be weilded two handed of course, and matching measurements all around.

Edited by: Gustave Knights at: 5/8/04 12:34 am

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Sat May 08, 2004 12:43 am

Well, the reason we are saying these things is because the way it was originally designed isn't going to fit in here.

Are you implying he can dodge crossbow bolts?

We can use magic because we have logical restrictions and mechanics for magic. There's a sort of physics to it, only instead of physical force causing an action, it's mental force manipulating magical energies and such.

Also,
If you'd forget the "LOLZ HUGE SWORD!!!!!!!!" crap, we may yet be able to salvage whatever concepts you have.

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=capntastic>Capntastic</A]&nbsp; Image at: 5/8/04 12:45 am

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Sat May 08, 2004 12:51 am

Er, sorry? longbows don't fire in straight lines? I can only assume you're talking about the effect of gravity... Only that's the same for crossbows, so you can't be...

I assume stamina helps when dealing with a dozen plus crossbow bolts being lodged in one's body. Presumably it takes slightly longer for you to bleed to death.

And a shield that can only block along one thin plane doesn't do much good unless you're endowed with jedi-like reflexes. Come to think of it, lightsabres don't actually weigh anything, so you're still screwed.

Accept that the guards will generally be able to deal with pretty much any single individual. Then chop off another two and a half feet from the sword just to be safe. Seven feet is still pretty big, but you won't be hearing any objections about the sword itself. <p>"80% of my so-called friends would happily push me in front of a bus. Of course, the next time I saw them, I'd be driving the bus." - David McPhale, as Rob Muldoon</p>

Gustave Knights

Unread postby Gustave Knights » Sat May 08, 2004 12:53 am

Blocking is a form of dodging isn't it?

Uhh, Thin? The swords hefty. 7ft. Long sword... WHere have i seen that before... Hi Final Fantasy 7!
Yes the guards would be able to deal with Gus. Slightly harder than any normal person, but they would still deal with him. The fact I find hard to swallow is that you make out as i fthe guards would go out of the way to get Gus. And I see no checkpoints on the map or in the descriptions.

I know you have a physics for Magic, hence why I didn't do the noob thing and bring in my Evil Wiz that can only be killed by plot means.

Aww I make you sad? You make me feel like a caged animal. Rawr.

I can't get rid of the huge sword. The huge sword is the basis of this character's concept. If you want to get rid of my Huge sword, get rid of Choark's Giant Warhammer, they're probably both about the same size by now.

Sheesh, this reminds me of the time I did do the noobish thing... Which shouldn't be happening with this character.

Edited by: Gustave Knights at: 5/8/04 12:56 am

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Sat May 08, 2004 1:04 am

Compared to the entirety of the area around his body, it is indeed a thin plane. To be honest, I'm not entirely sure how we got onto the subject of the guards being out to get him. But that is what you seemed to be arguing on the basis of.

Also, a huge sword should not be the basis of any character's concept. Cho's hammer isn't the basis of his concept. He'd still exist just fine if he only used his bare hands, although somehow I just can't picture him using anything short of a claymore otherwise. <p>"80% of my so-called friends would happily push me in front of a bus. Of course, the next time I saw them, I'd be driving the bus." - David McPhale, as Rob Muldoon</p>

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Sat May 08, 2004 1:14 am

Kelne is correct.

Our Roleplaying world isn't a hack and slash game. Sometimes there are complex problems that don't really have a set way of solving, thus where the character's skills come in. The only way I can see your character helping out is if say, the party needed to cross a chasm of some sort (To get to the dragon in the really big cave?) and used his sword as a bridge.

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Sat May 08, 2004 1:38 am

Of note, this isn't a final fantasy game, and Cloud would likely get trounced in short order if he happened to be in Doma. Also, trounced is a neat word.

EDIT: I suppose I may as well make note that I have a character with a stupidly large sword (though not quite of that size), only when he uses it it's only part supermuscles. He also uses telekinesis. Maybe try something like that. <p>
<hr width="70%"><center>Superion, Autobot air gestalt, recently died protecting Los Angeles from a nuclear missile. Rest in peace. :(</center></p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=flamingdeth>FlamingDeth</A] at: 5/8/04 1:40 am

Banjooie

Unread postby Banjooie » Sat May 08, 2004 2:28 am

Kay, so. If you're using RPGs and Final Fantasy to back your points, you've already lost, kthx. <p><Chat> <Matto says, "What's up?"
<Chat> <Prince_Herb says, "Angst."
<Chat> <Prince_Herb says, "Drama."
<Chat> <Prince_Herb says, "Betrayal."
<Chat> <Prince_Herb says, "Plushies."</p>

Gustave Knights

Ack, catch 22.

Unread postby Gustave Knights » Sat May 08, 2004 4:01 pm

Quote:
Kelne is correct.

Our Roleplaying world isn't a hack and slash game. Sometimes there are complex problems that don't really have a set way of solving, thus where the character's skills come in. The only way I can see your character helping out is if say, the party needed to cross a chasm of some sort (To get to the dragon in the really big cave?) and used his sword as a bridge.

Ok. Then I should put him in his entirety. With that much strength he would be much more useful. Then at said chasm, he could toss people across, and then jump across himself.

A Heavy object needing transport? Gus can carry it.
Yes cho would be ok without his hammer. So would Gus. He just loves the thing. It's a character quirk.
Need a Dam made? Gus can make and hurl boulders, and pack them down.

I'm going to have him at his original strength, because that is the only way he is going to work properly.
Isn't it in the guidelines that after I have a character I should wing it?

Plus i had some proportion revelations lately.

There, edited him.

Now then, for a realistic fantasy proportion on Gus's strength. He has superhuman strength. Note the Human. He may be one of the physically strongest things alive, able to win arm wrestling against giants and slinging up to medium-sized Dragons about, but he still has human weaknesses. Poison, while having a diminished effect, would still get him. As would cleaving him in half. Or toasting him in a microwave if you made it strong enough to hold him for the time it takes to get him toasted.

Add in a weakness against magic, having none of his own. Sure while directional magic, like a fireball, could be blocked by his sword, a lightning bolt would conduct it.
Plus, against a pure force of nature, Gus is outmatched. Then again, so is everything else.

Yar, I fergot what else I was going to say on my edit rant.

Edited by: Gustave Knights at: 5/8/04 4:13 pm

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Re: Ack, catch 22.

Unread postby Capntastic » Sat May 08, 2004 4:21 pm

Let me attempt to make this clear:

This character will not work here.

This is in no way some sort of attack against your creativity, it is merely: You wanting to RP here with a character that just will not fit. Make another or not, it's up to you. The people who have been trying to...dissuade you from this Gustave fellow are (for the most part) the primary RPing people here, and will probably go out of their way to make hell for you should you ever find your way into an RP. Feel free to view us as some sort of elitist Communist board, but we have standards. That's all. This thread should end now.

Choark

Re: Ack, catch 22.

Unread postby Choark » Sat May 08, 2004 4:27 pm

I hope you have some stupid fantastic reason for him having super strength like I do Pia and Choark =P Mines cause of there mixed blood and dragon heritage sortof don't ya know. Far more complicated of course but who cares?!

*coughs*

I'm not going to add anything cause honestly I can only really make comments on your character after I've roleplayed with 'em. Hopefully something I'll have time to do for a while soon'ish. But I do look forward to roleplaying with ya cause its nice to have another guy with penis envy.. I mean Huge kickass weapon. Plus hes a proper knight, of sorts, and thats pretty rare. So yay!!

*high fives*

Now you do relise my Choark and ya Gus are going to have to meet and sort out who's the strongest in some odd quest to rescue the princess lamb from the evil wolf knight or something.... *coughs*

-----------

Edit---

-----

And now my post looks out of place cause I hit reply and took to long to write this. Ah well.

Also:

Quote:
This solid steel sword is about twice Gus's height in length

This is still in ya describtion, meaning ya Sword is Still way WAY bigger then my Cho's DH Warhammer. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image </div>
<div style="text-align:center">Cowgirl fanboy - Barbarian Ninja - Expert Mouse Catcher - Holder of the Iron Glasses Of Doom!</div></p>Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=choark>Choark</A]&nbsp; Image at: 5/8/04 4:33 pm

Gustave Knights

Ah, now there's a roleplay I'm looking forward too.

Unread postby Gustave Knights » Sat May 08, 2004 4:34 pm

Well Gus has gene stuff... What's more complex than that? Lol.

Yes, I look forward to roleplaying with you Choark. And Kelne, isn't that what GM's are supposed to do? Go out of their way to make the Rp interesting?

Honestly I haven't had a challenge in several years ^_^

Well now then. Time to look for an Rp.

Edit:

Yes I know. That comment was before I changed it BACK to that. And yes Gus can handle that with one hand. Superhuman strength and all. Might lack fine control but meh, it's a wrecking ball anyway.

Edited by: Gustave Knights at: 5/8/04 4:36 pm

Choark

Re: Ah, now there's a roleplay I'm looking forward too.

Unread postby Choark » Sat May 08, 2004 4:52 pm

I do have one small question thats been bugging me though.

How does he walk with a 12ft sword? Assumming it still is 12ft. (bearing in mind I personally have no real problem with a 12ft sword - other then Boy thats BIG)

I mean, does he strape it to his back Blade up above his head so the handle to down near his hand? Or does he have to carry it out in front of him?

There's no way he could have it strapped to his back handle up to the skies... he'd never be able to reach the handle. Ever.

Also - be careful about this superhuman strength thing. There are limits. Take it from a guy who has one of the - if not the - strongest characters around for quite some time.

And as a special thing ya may want to add some crazy reason to this gene thing - like.. Gods power.. chosen line of protectors or something like that. Thats always fun and quite possible in this world.

Also if ya ever turn this character to PS... he'll have to be above level one- cause I hear 6 is the upper limit you can go on level one and defines strength as "Weightlifter, trains regularly" - And its only at stat 10 when it says: "Olympic weightlifter, can dead lift roughly 500-600 lbs" - and stat 10 is way high for a stat. - though thats what extra skills and stuff is for. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image </div>
<div style="text-align:center">Cowgirl fanboy - Barbarian Ninja - Expert Mouse Catcher - Holder of the Iron Glasses Of Doom!</div></p>

Next

Return to Character Closet