atheism?

Character sheet archiving. Help with characters can be solicited here. This is also the place to talk Philsys or other RPing systems.
ribwich

atheism?

Unread postby ribwich » Sun Mar 14, 2004 9:53 pm

Does atheism exist in Gaera?

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Re: atheism?

Unread postby Capntastic » Sun Mar 14, 2004 10:22 pm

I'm fairly sure that Barius is strongly atheist.

Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=capntastic>Capntastic</A]&nbsp; Image at: 3/14/04 10:23 pm

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:08 pm

The only notable example of character atheism I can think of was Kamos, back in the day.

He changed his mind when the goddess of balance materialized in front of his eyes.

Although I'm not sure, the gods have many ways of making themselves known on Gaera, normally though their celestial or demonic agents.

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:50 am

Atheism in the form of "There are no gods" is pretty much nonexistant.

There is what is known as 'Barian' Atheism. This philosophy states that gods do exist, but they are not truly gods in the sense of creating existence or governing aspects of it. Rather, they are like a step up from archangels or archdemons. Immensely powerful, yet not divine.

Nick Shogun

Unread postby Nick Shogun » Wed Mar 24, 2004 2:28 am

Ya know, it's weird for me, RL me, to be atheist but create characters that believe in gods. It feels weird, but not wrong. Like I have no problem creating chars who believe in Falis, but I don't feel right believing in christ.

ribwich

Another quick question

Unread postby ribwich » Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:08 pm

Are there ceremonies such as Marriage and Divorce? If so, is it common for humans to be married before having a child?

pd Rydia

Re: Another quick question

Unread postby pd Rydia » Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:10 pm

Depends on the culture, naturally. In most of Igala's countries, the answer is yes to all three questions. <p>
<center>Hello, I'm Dia. I'm a dragongirl, and I bite. RAWR!
</center><small>-=- "Maybe... or maybe you're just not drunk enough." -- Nakibe
-=- "Magic. As in, big flashy dink!" -- El Bob (Squintz)
-=- "Look hun, it's...uh...raining... ...frogs...O_o;;;" -- Aya, Queen of Doma (LDC)
-=- "I FOUND A CORNER! I found a corner, I found a corner! See, right here! Stuck on the wall! It's a corner! Woo hoo! Now, to stare at it!" -- Daenj'r (KingOfDoma)</small></p>

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:25 pm

The way I personally see it is that it is, as it is on modern-day Earth, an individual decision for the most part. If you choose to believe there are no gods, hey. More power to ya. Or less, depending on your chosen career path. Gaera is a lot freer with religions than its medieval atmosphere might suggest. <p><span style="font-size:xx-small;">"It's in the air, in the headlines in the newspapers, in the blurry images on television. It is a secret you have yet to grasp, although the first syllable has been spoken in a dream you cannot quite recall." --Unknown Armies</span></p>

Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!

Unread postby Spleen » Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:43 am

Which is why I've always thought that Gaera is as advanced, socially, as Earth, but the study of magic has taken the place of the study of science, which is why they're still all medieval and stuff.

That's my take on it, at least. <p>_________________
OLHADO: "You killed more people than anybody in history."
ENDER: "Be the best at whatever you do, that's what my mother always told me."
-Lauro Suleimão "Olhado" Ribeira and Ender Wiggin, Speaker for the Dead</p>

Mechanisto

Unread postby Mechanisto » Sat Apr 03, 2004 2:44 am

Well, geez... I have a character who's fiercely atheist, and I'm relatively religious. That's what roleplaying is; playing a role.

Atheism isn't an existing disbelief; it's a lack of belief. The only difference between magic and science is that magic involves meddling with Powers Man Does Not Fully Understand. Since gods are more of a tangible presence in the world of Gaera, it might even be easier to accept atheism with proper case studies to form an opinion about.

A Gaeran atheist might believe in magical and supernatural creatures, but not an omnipotent omniscient creator (after all, you can believe in atomic bombs, but not lighting bolts from zeus). Or take it one step further, and make him believe that gods aren't invincible at all, and are actually out to get us... even the nice ones. <p>---
My head moves around inside the bag, it's not like I'm drinking through my actual eye socket.</p>

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Sat Apr 03, 2004 5:34 am

Which is pretty much what I said with the Barian system.

Blaze Yamato Spirit

Unread postby Blaze Yamato Spirit » Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:32 pm

Just thought I'd note that while they acknowledge that the Gods do exist, many Prandians still do not worship them, based on a philosophy of "leave them alone and the reverse will be true."

Since this system of belief has been in place for a long time, and it seems to work, some Prandians are becoming less and less sure of whether the Gods do indeed exist, as they have no proof (or if they do, they find some other explanation for it).

Therefore, it would not be infeasible for a Prandian character to be atheist. <p><div style="text-align:center">
---

Scribed
</div></p>

Return to Character Closet