A real one this time.

Character sheet archiving. Help with characters can be solicited here. This is also the place to talk Philsys or other RPing systems.
Idran1701
None some call is air am

A real one this time.

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sat Nov 15, 2003 10:30 pm

This time it's a real character sheet for opinions. I changed the original concept a bit farther away from "no powers of his own," but the basic idea is still there.

Edit: Forgot to mention, but the question marks mean things I'm not sure about. If I could get a decision for those, I'd be grateful.

Edit 2: Besides Dia's and Div's suggestions, a lot of things were helped by Alex in chat, and have been changed.

Background:

name: Gregory Campbell, Jr. - age: 20 as of 1313 - eyes: brown - hair: black - height: 5'10" - weight: 145 lbs.

Oh, Gregory has a tragic story indeed. Only five when his parents were lost in a dragoon attack on Lowangen, he was forced with his sister to flee the city, eventually coming to a small town in northern Doma, Varrock. His sister having suffered an attack by some type of wolf just outside, the white mages of Varrock took him in and raised him. At the age of 12 he left with a friend, thanking them for their help. While travelling to Doma, they were attacked by bandits, who almost killed his friend. Gregory never having learned even the most basic white magic spell, he was unable to help his friend. His friend gave him his sword and told him to continue with his dying breath, and he has upheld his training with the weapon ever since.

...At least, that's what he tells people, among other stories. Truthfully, his parents were middle-class citizens in Doma, and raised him well. He was actually an only child, who always enjoyed playing pranks on the others in the neighborhood. Finally becoming exasperated with his tricks, they attempted to send him to a boarding school to straighten up. It was in this academy, partially run by mages but not meant for the teaching of magic, where...well, really all that happened was he played even more pranks. The administrators, however, were not happy with this.

They sent some of the magi to teach him a lesson, since their normal methods weren't that effective. Whenever he played a prank, they'd paralyze him, or shake him around, or things like that. Fun times for all, of course. However, during one session, in which Greg was due to be buried up to his neck for an hour of "time-out" by an Earth mage, he found his interesting talent of using the spells of others. Distracting all by having the Earth mage lob a mud ball at the principal's head, he left for an early lunch. Although he had cultivated a healthy dislike of mages up until this time, now he realizd how much fun they could be.

Although his skills in this area, through self study, grew quickly, he was more interested in further joking than studying. This didn't mean he didn't put some of his even newer-found...newfounder...more newly found skills to use, of course. He was finally able to leave when, on a regular visit by his parents with the principal, "he" kept 'pathing them for some reason, saying "I'm a pretty kitty! Myao, myao, myao!" Understandably offput by the principal's apparant insanity, and not realizing the principal actually couldn't 'path if his life depended on it...well, maybe in that case, but...they pulled him out of the school.

Years passed, and Greg eventually brought his pranking ways to even greater heights, often posing as a psychic with abilities to talk to the dead, a wandering minstrel looking for a job, or his favorite, a Doman official needing to collect property tax, adventurer tax, weapon tax, or whatever he could BS up to get money. Of course, he's also taken up swordfighting, for those times when people don't appreciate his sense of humor. He now wanders around, looking for people ripe for a good ol' fashioned pranking.

--Basics--
Name: Gregory Campbell, Jr.
RPer: Idran1701
Race: Human
Level: 4
XP: 170/2000
Max HP: 91
Max MP: 74
Max TP: 36
Initiative 4+2d6

--Attributes--
Courage +2
Wisdom +3
Intuition +3
Charisma 0
Agility +2
Dexterity +3
Strength +5
Stamina +3
Magic Aptitude: 3

Base AT/PA - 12/12
Modified for skill - 17/15
Modified for armor - 17/15

-=- Weapons & Armor -=-

Leather Bracers - AC: 10
(Arms only, of course)

Weapon Damage - Long Sword
AT/PA - -1/0
Thrusting - 15+1d6
Slashing- 24+2d4
Chopping - 32+2d6

Weapon Damage - Long Sword of Wounding
Base Damage 13/17/20
AT/PA - 0/+1
Thrusting - 18+1d6
Slashing - 27+2d4
Chopping - 35+2d6
Three times per day at the wielder's command, a given wound bleeds freely, causing 10% of the damage dealt by said attack in bleeding damage each round.
--Other Equipment--

x1 Curing Ring
x1 Choking Mist Potion
x1 Healing Ointment
x1 Infinite Waterskin
x1 Auto-scrubbing wire brush
x1 Sunless not-very-accurate Sundial
x1 Squawking Flamingo Head

Curing Ring
A gold ring with a blue gem set in it. By rubbing the gem, the wearer can heal his or her self, or one of his or her allies that are close enough to touch.
(Holds 12 charges. Each time one is used, restores 22+2d6 HP to the user or one target who the user can touch. Does not effect Undead. Charges may be restored by any character with the Healing magic skill who makes the roll Rank + 1d20 > 18. Restored charges = caster's rank. Caster expends 12 MP for every charge restored. Every time someone attempts to recharge the ring, roll 1d10. If a 10 is rolled, the gem breaks, and the ring cannot be recharged until the gem is replaced.)
Current Charges: 6

Choking Mist Potion
Reduces the Stamina of those within 6 feet of where it's broken by 2 points each. Effect of it lasts 10 minutes.)

Healing Ointment
Can be used 4 times, heals 18+2d6 HP to any one target when used.

--Skills--
Sword - 8 <Cou/Agi/Str>
Mental Magic - 4 <Int/Wis/Mag>
Disguise - 5 <Int/Dex/Wis>
Trigger Magic - 9 <Int/Wis/Mag>

[s]Eavesdropping - 4 <Int>
[s]Deception - 4 <Cha/Cha/Int>
[s]Bullshit - 4 <Cha/Wis/Int>
[s]Fake Accent - 7 <Int/Int/Wis>
[s]Singing - 3 <Cha/Cha/Dex>
[s]Traps - 3 <Int/Int/Dex>
[s]Cold Reading - 4 <Int/Int/Cha>
(a.k.a., the John Edwards special)

[k]Knowledge(Barius) - 3
[k]Knowledge(Baron) - 2
[k]Knowledge(Doma City) - 4
[k]Knowledge(Kohlingen) - 1
[k]Knowledge(Riva) - 2
[k]Knowledge(Varrock) - 2

--Spells/Techs--

[Mental Magic=1] Telepathy (0 MP out of combat, 2 MP in combat) - Allows the user to speak telepathically "out loud." Anyone may hear this, unless it is directed at a target recipient.
[Mental Magic=2] Detect Strong Feelings (8 MP) - Find a strong feeling had by the the target. (i.e., Jak hates Drow)
[Trigger Magic=3] Browse Mental Spellbook (10 MP) - This can be used in multiple ways. The basic version allows Greg to know one random spell of any type the target can cast. However, he can also find a random spell by category (Fire, Non-damaging, Flashy, etc...) or, if he knows a person can cast a specific spell, he can find that spell within the target's mind. This spell also lets him know the basic details about the spell, including if any fact about it prevents its use by Trigger Spell.
Note: For the sake of continuity in another RP, it was ruled that failed triggerings don't cost MP.
[Trigger Magic=3] Trigger Spell (MP Varies) - On a failed resistance check, allows Greg to trigger one spell found using Browse Mental Spellbook, exactly as if the target had cast it themselves, including personal MP cost, rank values, etc.... There are two exceptions to this spell: a) He cannot use it to force someone to cast a spell that requires chanting, hand motions, or other physical things; b) If the spell requires multiple rounds to cast, the target gets a resist check each round. The target will not notice the mental intrusion on a failed resist unless the failure was within one point of success, and they will notice it on a successful resist unless it was within one point of failure. The MP cost of this spell is equal to the highest rank of the spell triggered times 4.
[Disguise=3] Quick Change (3 TP) - Allows Greg to quickly change in three rounds or less from one disguise to another.
[Fake Accent=3] Fake Mental Voice (0 TP) - Greg can mimic the mental voice of another person for telepathy purposes on a successful "Fake Accent" check with a -2 penalty. <p>

"Never let your morals get in the way of doing what is right" - Salvor Hardin</p>Edited by: [url=http://b3.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=idran1701>Idran1701</A] at: 4/14/04 1:00 pm

pd Rydia

:{

Unread postby pd Rydia » Sat Nov 15, 2003 10:55 pm

Woah. That there megaparagraph needs some spacing. <p>
-=- "Spammers are people too." -- SuperRube
-=- "And then the pixies of doom ate her brain. It was very tragic." -- White Knight
-=- "If it smells like a discussion, walks like a discussion, and talks like a discussion.. it's a.. duck" -- Crawling Reshiki<p><center>Image</center></p>

Divinegon2130

Re: A real one this time.

Unread postby Divinegon2130 » Sat Nov 15, 2003 10:58 pm

First off, a little typo on the HP.

For someone with +3 Stamina, at level 1 they should have 70 HP, not 80.

As for what you're not sure of.....

I'd say the cost of Detect Strong Feelings should be 8 MP, seeing how it's basically a lesser version of mind reading (and I believe the Mind Read spell in the PhilSys spellbook was 12 MP).

The others I have absolutely no clue about. <p>

Image <span style="font-size:medium;"> Quotes of the Moment: </span> <span style="font-size:xx-small;">

=="Yeah, well STUDY THIS!!" - Sonya Blade, "Mortal Kombat"
=="Buckle your seat belt Dorothy, 'cause Kansas is goin' bye bye." - Cypher, "The Matrix"

View my online journal here.
Also, if you have a question about my characters, look here. </span></p>

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Sun Nov 16, 2003 12:21 am

An interesting character concept. o_o Good job on the background, though the first two paragraphs have some comma issues. *nitpickiness* And since I suck at the philsys part... ~ :D! <p>
-=- "Spammers are people too." -- SuperRube
-=- "And then the pixies of doom ate her brain. It was very tragic." -- White Knight
-=- "If it smells like a discussion, walks like a discussion, and talks like a discussion.. it's a.. duck" -- Crawling Reshiki<p><center>Image</center></p>

The Great Nevareh

Unread postby The Great Nevareh » Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:35 pm

I wouldn't think a guy who relies on deception and lies would have a zero in charisma. Or a five in strength, if his swordfighting was taken up as a precautionary measure. Seeing as how he NEEDS high charisma to trick people into giving him money, I think it might not be unwarranted to remove some of his physical attribute points and put them into charisma.

The character looks built to be witty, intelligent, and capable of thinking his way around a situation- a more diplomatic, rogue-or-bard-esque creature, to speak in D&D 3 terms. However, his physical stats imply that he is more of a fighter, designed to fight his way through problems whenever he encounters them, and is not one who is usually up for deception or trickery. Wisdom and intuition are all well and good, and it means that he can compute it in his head, but without Charisma, his likelihood of being able to prank or trick someone isn't that high.

Edit- *sigh* I guess. I'm still in a D&D frame of mind, though. <p>I am currently inhabiting a world that is made up entirely of numbers. These numbers represent characteristics of creatures and beings that I pretend to be along with a bunch of other people. I work on them until I forget what the sky looks like, or what the feeling of the sun on my skin is...
Then I break and order chinese.</p>Edited by: The Great Nevareh at: 4/14/04 1:49 pm

Divinegon2130

Unread postby Divinegon2130 » Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:53 pm

I'll phrase it this way.

One, I have a feeling the pranking in and of itself is part of the cause for his zero Charisma. (May want to talk to the RPer himself for some examples.)

Also, it's kinda late for stat reduction, I think. Notice he's a level 4. <p>

Image <span style="font-size:medium;"> Quotes of the Moment: </span> <span style="font-size:xx-small;">

=="Yeah, well STUDY THIS!!" - Sonya Blade, "Mortal Kombat"
=="Buckle your seat belt Dorothy, 'cause Kansas is goin' bye bye." - Cypher, "The Matrix"

View my online journal here.
Also, if you have a question about my characters, look here. </span></p>

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Wed Apr 14, 2004 12:57 pm

Yes, quite. Someone who, say, spikes another character's waterskin with a love potion, makes a water mage summon an elemental to dance for him, or unleashes a general telepathic message in the voice of an elven king announcing his coffers open for all wouldn't be _that_ well liked, and wouldn't even need to be for his pranks. I suppose you do have a point with his strength, but...well, I can't remember what it started at, but I know his Strength has gone up through levelling, as he's realized there are times when there's just no one around to trigger, and he has to resort to swordplay.

Greg: Yeah. Stupid gun/dance mages. >_>

Quiet you, you don't remember that.

Anyway, on the low Charisma: Remember, his pranking and tricking aren't necessarily based on people believing him. Especially when he can 'path in the voices of other people and trigger their spells independantly of their own desires. <p>

"Never let your morals get in the way of doing what is right" - Salvor Hardin</p>

Return to Character Closet