Matthew Szlapkara, also known as the Legendary Worldwalker

Character sheet archiving. Help with characters can be solicited here. This is also the place to talk Philsys or other RPing systems.
Szlapka

Matthew Szlapkara, also known as the Legendary Worldwalker

Unread postby Szlapka » Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:14 am

(Hi all, this is my first character, and the one I know the best about since I am still working on him with each thing I do, So I hope you get to understand him. He has lots of stories to tell of his adventures with his friends, but that's all based on which planet he just left. I'll explain that later. He may seem overpowered, but I don't play him like it.)

Name: Matthew Szlapka (aka: The Legendary Worldwalker)

Age: Over 300 years old, but looks and acts like a teenager of sixteen.

Class: Mainly a Magic-Using Warrior, but has other abilities as well.

Race: Worldwalker (A worldwalker can be many different races at once, since a extended family can comes from thousands of different worlds, they are very rare nowadays in most worlds.)

Weapons: Shriengo, A longsword at first glance, but those who can wield it (those of pure heart and good soul.) can transform it into any weapon they have used before, there are other hidden uses however.

Equipment: A backpack containing climbing tools (if necessary),a canteen, a magical food bag which holds large amounts of perishable/non-perishable food, and his computer/wristcom he created himself. He gives a similar wristcom to people he trusts, allowing them to search the database it contains and contact him.

Hair: Short, Light Brown, very wavy in the wind.

Eyes: Light Brown, like milk chocolate.

Clothing: Green T-Shirt (actually his armor.) and baggy blue jeans.

Abilities:

1)Physical Strength: from his father's genes, Matt is extremely strong and dexterous. He is also able great amounts of punishment, which his constant battles with evil minions, changed humans, and powerful overlords has shown (will be told in RP.)

2) Magical Ability: Gained from his mother's genes, Matt is moderately intelligent and can cast basic spells by moving his hand sideways in front of him and say a couple of words, with several movements. This allows him to cast spells while moving. his are...

Fire: A fire-blast comes out of his hand.
Ice: an Icicle encloses his opponent.
Bolt: A Lighting bolt Strikes his opponent.
Cure: A slight healing spell for himself and allies.
Protect: A Magical Ward against physical attacks.
Haste: A pure boost of speed.

He is able to combine magic into stronger attacks and alter the magical effects to perform other and stronger effects. However, considering Gaera's different mana flow, he cannot use his spells to their fullest effect, or use them at all.

3) Abilities from Other worlds: over his travels, Matt has gained extra abilities from friends and mentors. (they will be shown in RP and recorded here.) However, he cannot use them. Like all Worldwalkers, he cannot use abilities he has learned from other worlds except his own world, but he remembers the memories of the adventures he had.

4) Worldwalker Power: Final Charge. For 5 turns, Matt's physical and magical powers increase by one half his maximum through extreme anger. This power can come at any time, but mainly will arise from his friends in danger or near-death. He loses control of himself during this intake of rage, but can distinguish friends from enemies.

5) Worldwalker Ability: Energy Siphon. During times of extreme emotion, Matt absorbs and can slightly control energy naturally, elemental or otherwise, around himself. This energy takes form based on the current emotion.

Background: Matt was born on Earth, a place where few worldwalkers existed. His father, a Evil physically-dominant person, and his mother, a magic-using fighter of the light, tried to convince him to conform to good or evil respectively. In preschool, a girl named Michelle Loviena changed his life forever. Instant friends, they eventually fell in love in each other and confessed in 3rd grade from an incident. They lived happily, as Matt protected her from kidnappers, and they mutually loved each other. this ended when Matt became 16, when Michelle has killed in front of his eyes by his own father. He killed him in rage, but controlled himself to promise to find a way to bring her back. A week after her death, A portal opened in his room. He entered the portal and his adventure began.

Personality: Matt is personally happy and outgoing, but is very serious when the need arises. He will gladly speak about his past and his abilities, but never boasts about them. He is very saddened about his past, but will speak about them if asked.

(Good?)

Edited by: [url=http://b3.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=szlapka>Szlapka</A] at: 4/8/04 11:57 am

Szlapka

Re: Matthew Szlapkara, also known as the Legendary Worldwalk

Unread postby Szlapka » Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:03 am

ok, I've heard this problem from other people before.

1) I've tried to weaken him. Many times. whenever I do that, he becomes too weak from what other RPers say. I'll see what I can do however.

2) Worldwalkers, the race I created, is something I hope to post how to create soon.

3) This is him normally, not powered-up from other forums.

and 4) If you have a problem with my character, say it. I'm used to flames.

Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=szlapka>Szlapka</A] at: 4/5/04 10:10 am

Banjooie

Unread postby Banjooie » Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:44 am

Meldon: ....H-hold on here. Gimme a moment. Diran, you gotta take a look at this.

Diran: What's the issue?

Meldon: I'm looking at this guy's sheet. What's this 'moving fast enough to make other objects go slower' business?

Diran: ....I don't know. PELOS!

Pelos: ...Okay, so I'm /fairly/ certain he's talking about going near light speed. He has to be, because the time decrease up until light speed is pretty minimal. Though, that requires some serious magic to move even /small/ things that speed...

Fenron: No, no, this is apparently a genetic trait.

Pelos: No, see, when you move that fast, you run into things a lot. Therefore, it's totally impossible...

Fenron: No, I'm serious, it says it's a genetic trait.

Pelos: ...what? How did something like /THAT/ evolve?

Diran: Isn't it obvious from the next paragraph? He's -very intelligent-.

Jinto: So, wait, he can flick his hand and say a few words to cast a spell. Check it out, eh?

Nagan: Hey, he uses multiple elements! And what's this deal about dual ele....o.o *snap*

Diran: Don't look at it. I think I see the problem, though.

Fenron: Really, Diran? What would that be?

Diran: He suffers from "Previously RPed Character Syndrome", or PRPCS.

Jinto: ...And what's that?

Diran: Okay, it works something like this. You have a weak, normal character at another forum, and you RP for a long time, right? Gradual progression of strength, perfectly natural. Nobody really minds, because everybody's growing at the same rate.

Meldon: Oh! I get it! And then when they go to another forum...

Diran: They look like godmoding morons, despite their actual RP ability! It's possible to get around, mind you. In fact, I believe our player does the same thing with...Thalamasa, wasn't it?

Fenron: Every single MUSH he goes to, for the most part.

Diran: Exactly. And why isn't Thalamasa godmodey? Hasn't he been playing her, for, like, 5 years? Isn't she 13 billion years old?

Fenron: Because he continually re-weakens her whereever he goes?

Diran: Exactly! He takes care to lessen the girl's powers whereever he goes. Not that she had much to begin with. But it's always easier to stick on the side of weaker, right?

Jinto: Right. So, the guy's problem is that he needs to weaken it a bit more before he ports it over here, and nothing wrong with the character itself?

Diran: Exactly. <p><Chat> <Matto says, "What's up?"
<Chat> <Prince_Herb says, "Angst."
<Chat> <Prince_Herb says, "Drama."
<Chat> <Prince_Herb says, "Betrayal."
<Chat> <Prince_Herb says, "Plushies."</p>

Szlapka

Re: Yup. Blunt indeed

Unread postby Szlapka » Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:18 am

yeah, i'm just a little pissed that does'nt tell it to my face. Anyway, I did what he asked.

Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=szlapka>Szlapka</A] at: 4/5/04 11:18 am

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:37 am

Don't worry, if Jooie has a problem with anything, he has no problem with letting others know, usually about as bluntly as he can. <p>Image</p>

wkz

Yup. Blunt indeed

Unread postby wkz » Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:07 pm

Actually, that's mild. YOu should see those 3 handle my (now rotting) Zobie conversion attempt....

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Mon Apr 05, 2004 2:42 pm

Kay. He's still overpowered by Gaeran standards

On the planewalking thing, be prepared to alter the backstory between what happened on earth and coming to Gaera. We do have a lot of planar stuff set out, so check with things before your character accidentally makes a fool of himself.

Next, you need to power down his SSJ form immensely. x4 power is absolutely godmodey by our standards. Putting something like that in Philsys is a terrible terrible thing. Even x2 is really really pushing it unless it come with a horrible cost and is very limited.

Also: On the unrevealed powers bit. This is often sketchy in a playable character. This is especially a bit eye-raising given your guy is already overpowered by Gaeran standards. it.

Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Mon Apr 05, 2004 2:50 pm

Indeed; with a character thats already overpowered, SSJ type deals aren't good. Hell, I find they tend to suck even with characters that aren't overpowered, unless there's a logical reason for them to get stronger upon flipping out- Most of the time, going berzerk is just thinking unreasonably, not gaining enough strength to benchpress an 18-wheeler abd enough magical power to blow up a small city.

Also, starting as someone who claims to be legendary in a place that he's never been heard of is going to get him laughed at alot.

And possibly beat up. <p>

<div style="text-align:center">
Image</div>
<div style="text-align:center">Why Barius has no family reunions.</div></p>

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon Apr 05, 2004 4:36 pm

There's a few problems considering his powers that others have pointed out, but I'll go over them again from my point of view.

He seems to be an excellent warrior. Around hereabouts, those who are excellent warriors are not magicians at all...let alone magicians of several different types of magic. Our magicians will focus on one to four different types of magic (such as fire, time, benediction, summoning, healing...), and again, they're normally so busy learning their magic that they don't have time to learn how to fight with weapons. It works the other way around, too...if they're excellent fighters, they're too busy learning and practicing their fighting to learn any magic.

I'd suggest either: ditching his magic altogether, or weakening his physical prowess.

Also, the beserk mode has to go, or at least become balanced (by RPGWW standards). I'd say it'd be fair to make it have a moderate increase in physical power or speed (maybe 1.5) but a loss of rational thought.

Perhaps when he comes to Gaera, his magic can be sealed; or perhaps the way he used magic on other worlds doesn't work with Gaera's magic; perhaps the magic in the gate he used to come to Gaera weakened him; perhaps he broke his arm and has to recuperate; there's a million reasons you can come up with to power him down without changing his backstory. Although changing his backstory is an option if you care for it.

Also, explain power #5 a bit more?

I don't mean to be ragging on you, but it's just that your character is very overpowered by our standards. Hopefully this will help you adjust him for Gaera.

However, your character is not angsty! Yay! This is a good thing. You wouldn't believe the number of angsters we get coming in here at times. <p>
<center>Hello, I'm Dia. I'm a dragongirl, and I bite. RAWR!
</center><small>-=- "Maybe... or maybe you're just not drunk enough." -- Nakibe
-=- "Magic. As in, big flashy dink!" -- El Bob (Squintz)
-=- "Look hun, it's...uh...raining... ...frogs...O_o;;;" -- Aya, Queen of Doma (LDC)
-=- "I FOUND A CORNER! I found a corner, I found a corner! See, right here! Stuck on the wall! It's a corner! Woo hoo! Now, to stare at it!" -- Daenj'r (KingOfDoma)</small></p>

Szlapka

Unread postby Szlapka » Mon Apr 05, 2004 8:28 pm

::breathes deeply:: Alright, considering I had no problem with my character in other places, especially from the powers he has, I'll try and change him. Lots of people that I know he's a good character mind you.

and about his Worldwalker ability, Energy Siphon. he constantly absorbs energy from an area. how much energy he asborbs is based on his current demenor, increasing the more he turns to hatred and rage. When his emotions are calm, even joyful and happy, this siphon is at a medium speed. when he is depressed, it slows. he can channel this energy as if it was his own, but only for a short time.

Look, a lot of you obviously have a problem with it, so I will try to bring him down.

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Mon Apr 05, 2004 8:58 pm

Given how attached you are to your original idea, it may be wise to consider a new character entirely. That way your canon isn't violated, and we don't have to worry about godmodeyness from hidden backstory powers and the like.

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:36 pm

I see any RPing attempts working like this.

Person: "Hello."

Matthew: "HEY THERE!! I can rip buildings from their foundations and juggle them so quickly, it creates a vortex, which I use to help in a magical ritual that creates a laser so big, it can turn a planet into a cloud of dust that takes MINUTES to clear! Not to mention that my sword can turn into ANY weapon ever, and I'm totally awesome at using them!"

Person: "So what are you doing in this bar?"

Matthew: "...I'm so lonely ;_; "

wkz

^^ addum to above ^^

Unread postby wkz » Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:39 pm

**at this point, all the non-NPC characters will go: **
AHHHHhhhh!!! Another Angsty character!!

pd Rydia

Re: ^^ addum to above ^^

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:42 pm

Except that he isn't angsty. <p>
<center>Hello, I'm Dia. I'm a dragongirl, and I bite. RAWR!
</center><small>-=- "Maybe... or maybe you're just not drunk enough." -- Nakibe
-=- "Magic. As in, big flashy dink!" -- El Bob (Squintz)
-=- "Look hun, it's...uh...raining... ...frogs...O_o;;;" -- Aya, Queen of Doma (LDC)
-=- "I FOUND A CORNER! I found a corner, I found a corner! See, right here! Stuck on the wall! It's a corner! Woo hoo! Now, to stare at it!" -- Daenj'r (KingOfDoma)</small></p>

Szlapka

Re: ^^ addum to above ^^

Unread postby Szlapka » Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:50 pm

Matt is'nt concieted. he would never boast about his ablities.

Return to Character Closet