Second new character (Macren Suther)

Character sheet archiving. Help with characters can be solicited here. This is also the place to talk Philsys or other RPing systems.
Thane Graise

Second new character (Macren Suther)

Unread postby Thane Graise » Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:31 pm

According to people's suggestions, I'm including a second character (another one I've used before) that won't be able to conquer the world and then some.

Well....maybe a tenth...not even that probably, but you get the idea.

Macren Suther

Physical Description
Race: Near human (About 20% elven)
Height: 6' 2"
Weight: 190 pounds
Skin: Fair, flesh-tone white.
Eyes: Dark blue.
Hair: White
Hair style: Shoulder blade length at sides and back, hair parts in the middle from forehead to the top of his head. Straight and even.
Facial complexion: Fine boned, small nose.
Normal expressions: Rougeish grin, concerned, expressionless, narrowed eyes (suspiscion), deadly silent.

Clothing and weapons
Clothing: Buttoned vest over a long sleeved shirt, brown, soft leather pants that tuck into calf length black boots (glossy), long, red coat with a high yellow collar, narrows at waist and speads out towards the feet, single signet ring on left hand of unknown orgin.

Gear: Pouch (held up by a shoulder strap), xavron, or spellbook, bag of holding from academy (Can hold up to three cubic feet of space), food and water for about ten days.

Weapons: Magic (See specific description below), concealed darts inside coat. Darts are as follows, and are black with a colored tip so that Macren can tell the difference. 8 cm in length.

Red: Death (or -half HP, DM's choice)
Blue: Sleep/knockout.
Green: Hypnotism (Victim automatically follows simple orders)
Yellow: Weaken (-2 str/agi/def for 3+ 1d6 rounds)
Note on darts: For all of the darts, they each have around a 65% chance of inflicting their intended ailment, direguarding any resitances the victim may have, with sleep being the highest around 80%, and hypnotism being the lowest around 50%. They are coated in a substance that does not wear off with repeated use, but will have to be re-applied every half year.

Magic: Macren uses a form of magic that, in essence, orders the basic powers of the universe. New spells are learned through experimentation and watching others. There are three main parts of each spell:

Chant: Specific phrases are attributed to the various castes, or areas of magic. Four main ones exist: Powers, which are the basic source of energy for a spell. They include such things as water, fire, dark, and light. Some powers, such as dark and light, cannot be tapped in the same spell. By chanting the commands for them, that power is used in that spell. Form commands, which give form to the spell, are another caste. Some spells only require only specific raw powers, but more than two thirds of them require a command of some kind. Examples of commands are anti, halt/stop, trap set, counter, and ray. The source caste is used mainly in more complex spells, and signify the physical area of the world the spell originates from. Sea, firmanent, heaven, and hell are all source chants. Last are the enchantment chants. They are in a way, much like command chants, but they are used to prolong a spell, possibly indefinetly when enchanting items, or used to make a spell act a specific way, such as in wards and the various anti-power shields. Out of the four, Marcen is usually the weakest in this caste.

Visualization: When casting a spell, Macren has to form a mental picture in his mind of how the spell is going to take shape. The chants draw upon the powers and give them basic shape, but how it appears and forms must come from the mind. For instance, many spells differ on how you visualize them, even though they use the same chants.

Concentration: In one degree or another, concentration is needed to cast, or to keep in effect a certian spell. Such things as being hit, loosing balance, and being suprised will more than likely break concentration, and stop the spell.

Sometimes, a physical component is needed, but that is rare, and not a part of most spells.

Strength/mana: Of Macren's class of magic, all spells drain a person's strength, or 'mana,' as most call it. It is not clear why this happens, but most suspect people need it in order to reach the powers. More mana is drained depending on the complexity of the spell. All people have it originally in varying amounts, reguardless of magical study. However, continual casting, use of, and study of this branch of magic can cause a person's mana reserves to increase, much like excersising a muscle. When a person's mana is delpleated, they will not know until they try to cast another spell. When this happens, no effect is produced, and the mage may end up in a sticky situation.

Galarion mages, while they have a fair feeling for what their limit is, don't usually. know when they are close to it. When casting, the DM determines how much of a drain each spell is on the character's MP. When the mages tries casting without MP, he will be notified by the DM, will not produce a result, and will still use up that round casting. If the party is at rest, or there is no action taking place, a galarion user can approximate where he is at with his mana, but not in actual battle.

Study of Macren's class: All people can learn it. It is much like learning how to use a sword, in that some learn better than others, and learning is best started at an early age.

Marcen's level: Currently, Macren posses knowledge of Water, Air, Weapon, and Fire powers. He knows the commands Anti, Hold, Projectile formation, Heal, and Detect. He knows the source command Firmanent. He knows two basic enchant commands, Shield and Clothing enhancment.

Macren's list of spells (Copied in his xavron, or spellbook.)
1st level:
Windstrike -Air-
Target is blown about 15-20 feet in any direction.

Touch of Fire -Fire-
Upon contact with a personal blow, the target catches on fire where struck.

Touch of Water -Water-
Upon contact with a personal blow, the target's body tempurature drops as they loose heat.

Distance Strike, Basic -Air-Weapon-
While casting, the caster uses a weapon upon someone else. If it is a melee weapon, it can strike up to 8 feet away. If it is a projectile weapon, it's damage is increased slightly, and may travel 15 feet farther, as well as faster.

Frost -Water-Air-
A cloud of frost flys from the caster's hand for about 20 feet, lowering the tempurature in that area to below -20 degrees celcuis. Will return to normal over time.

Air Imprisonment -Air- :Hold:
The air thickens around the target, trapping them. They may attempt to escape based upon their strength. Requires concentration to keep up the effects.

Basic Healing, Water -Water- :Heal:
This will restore an amount of blood to a person up to a liter.

Basic Healing, Fire -Fire- :Heal:
This will remove exhaustion from a person, giving the equivalent of up to five hours of sleep.

2nd Level:
Shards of Ice -Water- :Projectile Formation:
Shards of ice wil continually form over the casters hand and strike at intended targets. Requires concentration to keep up.

Detect Person -Water- :Detection:
Upon casting, the locations of people in a 20 foot radious around the caster are made known to him.

Detect Trap -Fire- :Detection:
Upon casting, all traps within 20 feet of the caster are made known to him.

Fireball -Fire- :Projectile Formation:
This is a common staple of offensive magics. It creates a ball of fire 4 inches to more than 2 feet, depending on the casters visualization and skill. Travelling in either a straight line or an arc, it creates an explosion from five feet to over 35 feetin diameter, also depending on the caster's skill and visualization. This spell is one of the most varied ones.

Clothing enhancment, cleaness -Earth- [Clothing enhancment]
This will protect the enchanted clothing from dust, soil, and other detritus most travellers will encounter. Requires 10 minutes of concentration after the chant, in which the flows of power are woven in.
Note: Cannot cast, need knowledge of Earth.

3rd Level:
Anti Weapon Shield -Weapon- :Anti: [Shield]
Creates a blue tinged, translucent shield around the caster of about 4 inches from himself and any clothing/armor he may be wearing. Will absorb damage from physical blows until the energy put into it by the cast is dissapated. Will last for tne minutes.

Fire Nova -Fire-Air- :Projectile Formation:
A ring of fire erupts from the casters position, moving out for about 8 feet. It sets people caught in the blast aflame, and pushes them back as well.

4th Level:
None written as of now.

5th Level:
Lightning Strike, Enhanced -Electricity-Air- :Strength: <Firmanent>
Upon casting, a bolt resembling lightning will come down from above, striking a specified spot upon the ground by the caster, creating an explosion up to 10 feet in diameter that will cause damage and push people away. In some cases, it may even fling people away into buildings, trees, ect. Additional bolts may be brought down with one cast, but it requires continual concentration.
Note: Cannot use, need Electricity and Strength commands.

These are examples of his most used spells. He can, however, as stated, create new ones by experimenting with different combinations and visualizations.

How the xavron works
The spellbook here is merely an instrument used to remember exactly how a spell was cast. In it, for each spell goes what is does and the areas it uses. New spells may be used without copying them, which are accumulated as a galarion magic user travels and studies his magic, but may have dangerous consequences without study of it. The xavron is also enchanted to be resistant from water, and other various perils of travel. It is their main source of knowledge, after all. Upon discovery of a new spell, it's description will be provided.

How the numbers work:
All of the skill points for the specific areas of each caste cost one half point. So, if I had four into fire commands, it would cost me 2. Different commands are gained like all other skills,

When casting, the difficulty is 10+2* the spell level +3* the number of chants used. So, if I used a 2nd level spell that used -fire-water-, it would be 10 + 4 + 6. To check if it s successful, you roll a d20 + the skill rank for each command used + 2*MAG. So, for the previous spell, if I had 4 in fire and 3 in water, plus a MAG of 3, I would have d20 +4+3+6. If the skill Applied Magical Theory is present, it automatically adds in its rank to the total.

Also, as far as magic is concerned, I have the system of chants at home. Yes, there is a list of all the commands and how they are stringed together, so they do follow a pattern. They also do not resemble any real language.

Stats:
Level One
60/60 HP
70/70 MP
20/20 TP
Initiative: 5 + 2d6
AT/PA: 11

Courage - 3
Wisdom - 4
Intuition - 3
Charisma - 3
Agility - 2
Dexterity - 2
Stamina - -1
Strength - 1
Magic Apt - 4

Skills:
3 Water: Powers
3 Fire: Powers
3 Air: Powers
3 Weapon: Powers
4 Hold: Forms
3 Anti: Forms
2 Detect: Forms
3 Heal: Forms
4 Projectiles: Forms

2 Firmanent: Source

4 Shield: Enchants
2 Clothing enh: Enchants

4 Dart Throwing (Str/Cou/Dex)
3 Mental Clarity (Int/Wis/Mag)
1 Stealth (Dex/Agi/Int)
[s]3 Sense Motive (Int)
[s]3 Mind Reading (Inf/Int/Mag)
[s]3 2 Weapon Style (Ranged) (Dex)
[k]3 Applied Magical Theory
[k]4 Poisions
[k]4 Navigation

Techs:
[Poision coating] TP=4
If the person has the needed poisions on hand, he may coat a dart/arrow/dagger with the poision, which will stay effective for 6 months.

[Emotion Reading] TP=5
Unlike the mind reading skill, which gets a general view of the person's thoughts, emotion reading gets a overlook on the person's tendencies, alignment, emotions, and feelings. It helps determine possible allies and foes quite well.

[Spell Writing] TP=3
By using a xavron, a galarion mage may copy down a spell for later use and reference.

[Spell Teaching] TP=2 per spell
If two galarion mages meet, they can trade knowledge of spells. However, they will still need to copy down this new found information.

[Undying Will] TP=10
Macren can only use this ability when he is either at half HP, a party member falls unconsious/dies, or is presented with overwhelming odds.
For 2d6 turns, Macren summons his personal will that has kept him alive in the streets when he was young, and in the wilderness now. He is healed by 30 HP, gains a max of 20 hp that wears off afterwards, increases strength, stamina, dexterity, and agility by one, and cannot be affected by fear, torture, influences of the mind, or other such affects. Can only be used once in a day. HP healed and HP max gained goes up 10 every level from level one, and one additional point to the mentioned stats is added per two levels from level one.

Macren's History:
Macren only tells people of his history past his 20th year. What has been collected before that is sketchy at best, but it has been inferred that he had a horrible tragedy dealing with his family that he escaped from. Afterwards, he found himself adrift, and eventually found a home in Pelos, after years of scraping a living off the streets, doing whatver he could. In Pelos, the galorian mages had their home inside a large, partially hollow world tree, one of the few left. The tree was within the city proper, and it contained the mage's Order, living quarter, and the 'Academy.' As Macren had always been facinated by the various magics, he asked them to allow him in, practially on his knees. To his suprise, they accepted him without hesitation. During his teachings of the galarion magics for over seven years, he made friends within the Academy, and came close to being kicked out when he levitated one of his friend's belongings out a window and hovering just out of reach. He is now one of the Order's people outside the city that scout for clues and news about the world, and give aid in endevors that would benefit the Order. During his teaching, he made friends within the Academy, and came close to being kicked out when he levitated one of his friend's belongings out a window and hovering just out of reach. This is his first general assignment from the Kharn, the head of the order, but he has already picked up many of his life skills from his black past, including street wise, dart throwing, and an uncanny nack for being empathic to other's feelings. When asked about his past, Macren speaks of it as if he were born six years ago, not 28. Neither of his parents are known except to him. Nor does he speak of his education in galarion magic at the academy, which is forbidden to most outsiders.

Never the less, he is normally flamboyant, and witty. He often enjoys cards, even if he is not much more than a normal player. He follows no specific alignment; he gets along with most evil characters as well as good characters, depending on their actions. Sometimes, he has been known to become deeply, sometimes violently offended at offhand remarks, but will calm down just as quickly. When angry, he becomes even more relaxed than usual, but his eyes and grim silence express his feelings all to clearly for those who know what to look for.

He is not exceptionally well known, save some people from Pelos, and other galarion mages from the academy. There is a small group of hired bounty hunters that have been following him for more than ten years however, and they have tried to kill him on the spot before. He now stands more of a chance, with his command of the powers, but he finds it wiser to avoid them. No one knows who the person paying them is, or why.

Macren can be somewhat flirtatious sometimes, but never truely serious. Most women who have fallen in love with him have gotten not much more than the usual care he gives to most people travelling with him, but this does not stop them. Indeed, such a thing can make them more persistent, to Macren's puzzelment and annoyance. No one holds any "special" place in his heart. Strangely enough, however, On a side note, Macren is extremely ticklish at the base of his neck, which is partially why he has a high collar, and generally ticklish most other places.

Favorite Saying: "Power in the hands of those who do not know what it is, or what it may do, are as much a danger to themselves as to others."

Personal goals: Self discovery
Knowledge about the world through firsthand experience
Examine the conflict between good and evil
Avenge so-and-so who...well, that's backround information that won't be in here...yet, anyways.

People known to him: Macren Suther does not have many contacts outside of Pelos. However, and what is unusual, he has been seen with a man of unknown orgin. What is suprising about this, however, is that this man has been inside the galarion academy, and, by his looks, is not a student there. This means that he is either known by the Kharn, or may move about the academy freely. Which is, needless to say, unlikely.

(Yes, that person is Thane Graise. In what I've written before, he has met and been associated with Macren before in parts of his duties, and has shaped a small part of Macren's life. Macren does not knowexactly who or what Thane is, however. Also, Macren has yet to see Thane working for evil. Why Macren poses an intrest to Thane, I won't tell, namely for suspense, and also because it probably won't be involved very much here - It's mostly because of where my story with Macren goes.)

And yes, that was very long.

Edited by: Thane Graise at: 3/4/04 10:14 pm

Thane Graise

Re: Second new character (Macren Suther)

Unread postby Thane Graise » Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:39 pm

Phew, that took a while to write out.

On the spell system, I created it when a D&D friend of mine asked me to put it in from something I had wrote, because he wanted something new...so I went ahead and did it. The DM wrote in all the damages, I wasn't too concerned about that part of it. It's a refreshing change to how magic is used. I kind of like making it this simple to complealy understand, instead of "So-and-so flaps his arms around, creating a bolt of lighting." That serves, I guess, but it isn't really very deep or imaginative.

As I said, I have all of the castes and lists for them with me, as well as the chants. If anyone wants to ask more about it, just tell me.

Edited by: Thane Graise at: 3/4/04 8:39 pm

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:47 am

THis character does nothing that isn't killing things/Adventuring, and somehow knows a number of magic types.

A suggestion: Given that your RPing style seems to have a mostly different focus from that of our community, I may suggest you try to find a place that is more compatable with your style. You may find that you won't have to make nearly so many alterations to your characters/powers/level of power/backstories here.

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:50 am

Yeah, he is pretty much a walking spellbook...

What exactly makes him a unique person?

What does he do on lazy weekends? Where did he hang out when he was young? That sorta stuff really helps make a character more interesting.

Banjooie

Unread postby Banjooie » Fri Mar 05, 2004 2:54 am

"Macren Suther does not have many contacts outside of Pelos"

Diran: The bugger? You know this fellow?

Pelos: Damned if I do.

Hzar: Wacky. Bastard.

Fenron: Course 'e is. Look at all them bloody elements he's got going.

Meldon: Use of multiple elements causes insanity, you know.

Nagan: ...So, he's a mage with...wassiz bugger 'bout his..flirtatious tendencies?

Yinnea: Why on earth would anyone care about what he does in the bedroom?

Diran: Don't have a clue, myself. ...His bag can apparently hold 3 cubic feet of space.

Meldon: Space?

Diran: Evidently. I don't know what you'd do with 3 cubic feet of nothing, though.

Nagan: He doesn't do -anything- but magic, it looks like.

Yinnea: And poison! And poison!

Fenron: True, true. ...Cripes, we spent what, 7 years at Neo Vane? Even -we- have hobbies.

Jinto: Yeah. Bloody bizarre fellow. Oh well.

<p><Chat> <Matto says, "What's up?"
<Chat> <Prince_Herb says, "Angst."
<Chat> <Prince_Herb says, "Drama."
<Chat> <Prince_Herb says, "Betrayal."
<Chat> <Prince_Herb says, "Plushies."</p>

Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:57 am

A suggestion:

Mean way: Don't start a 2nd character until you can get one right.

Not so mean way: Maybe you should rethink things a bit? <p>

<div style="text-align:center">
Image</div>
<div style="text-align:center">Why Barius has no family reunions.</div></p>

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Sun Mar 07, 2004 1:52 am

Problems I saw right off:

*You have HP 60, with stamina (-1)? Nuh uh. 50. Fix that please. (On that note, perhaps have all of that math checked by a professional, if any are interested. Just to make sure.)

*A death dart? Drop it, or reduce the effect to be a GM determined damage modifier. Then reduce the standard dart effectiveness rate of all the darts to hang around about 45%-55%. That's IF a more qualified GM doesn't decide it should be done in a different fashion.

*Your Character is totally comabt focused. And not even well rounded, just total standard RPG videogame-esque abilities. You're just begging a GM to put you in a magic dead zone and tell you you have to scale a cliff with no climb or roopes skills, or swim a treacherous set of rapids with the same swimming skills of a five year old. Lastly, your character has no representation of their education. It's of course not mandatory, but... as a GM, if I were feeling mean,

I could rule that your character cannot perform a question so simple as 2+2 to save his life, whether or not he has potential to become an archmagus.

Those are the big glaring ones for me. =D Have a nice day, and do have fun molding and developing your character into playability!

-Edit:

... Wow, what's this? After rereading, and looking at your skills, not only are you using more skill points than you actually have ((int*2)+(wis*2)+20, in this particular case 34), but you have actually exceeded the maximum number of possible skill points for a level one character. By Ten points. So, in essence, slashing off about 20 skill points you don't really own, that's about half his stuff down the tubes.
However: I can see where the problem occured. Keep in mind that all equations, including the ones in our own PS, must be conducted in a specific order. All higher math runs on this order: When you see: 2+8*2/3-2 you probably THINK:
2+8=10, 10*2=20, 20/3=6.67, 6.67-2=4.47
HOWEVER! You have to solve it in the following order:
Mutiply, Divide, Add, Subtract. Or: (2+(8*2)/3)-2=5.33
8*2=16, 16/3=5.33, 5.33+2=7.33, 7.33-2=5.33

Makes quite the difference, eh? Now, let's test my theory!
20+(Wis*2)+(Int*2)
20+(4*2)+(3*2)
20+4=24, 24*2=48, and oh my. You knew and messed it up regardless? 3*2=6, 48+6=54. My my my, what a tangled web we weave! I Looking at it in this light,
I seriously advise redoing the whole sheet under the supervision of an actual PhilSys veteran. I might suggest our own Uncle Pervy, who I'm sure could explain every step with perfect clarity. ^_^ For now, Ciao!

Edited by: [url=http://pub30.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=besyanteo@rpgww60462>Besyanteo</A]&nbsp; Image at: 3/7/04 2:15 am

Return to Character Closet