New Character: Thane Graise

Character sheet archiving. Help with characters can be solicited here. This is also the place to talk Philsys or other RPing systems.
Thane Graise

New Character: Thane Graise

Unread postby Thane Graise » Mon Mar 01, 2004 6:58 pm

Ok. I’ve read over some of the bigger RP stories going on now… this looks like a good effort to bring up RP standards, so I’m in.

Before I write up my character info, let me say just a few things. I write well. (no HaxzoR’s ruleZ jOO crap). I am a good Rper as far as I know. I’m good at plot lines, descriptions of mostly anything, broad thinking, and on the spot acting. I’ve written several stories/plots for D&D gamer friends, even if I don’t understand as many of the rules as the DM does.

Anyways, I’m bringing in a familiar character (To me anyways.) He’s actually been in a few of those stories, if not always by name.

Thane Graise, the Traveller

Body Description
Height: 6 feet
Age: Appears to be around 25 years old, actual age unknown.
Hair: Deep black.
Race: Not known, but appears normally human in most aspects.
Hair style: Very long and straight. It goes all the way down to his waist, and hangs freely around his head, except for his bangs which are pushed to the sides. Two solitary locks of hair are braided, and loop around his neck on either side over his chest. They are held together by a simple gold ring apiece.
Eye color: Bright amythest violet.
Note on the eyes: Eye color will change depending on the circumstances. A red tinge indicates evil; Blue signifies a good influence. When normal, the two colors come together to form violet.
Skin color: Light tan.
Face shape: Fairly high check bones, unobtrusive nose (slightly pointed), slightly long/pointed ears, thin mouth, round, even eyes, black eyebrows.
Normal expressions: Amused, distant, knowing, sometimes deeply sad.

Clothes and Weapons
Two handed sword “Saving Grace” in a shoulder sheath, an odd assortment of unknown weapons, loose shirt held by a silken rope, loose pants, white undershirt (hides the deep V his shirt makes, much like a karate judo), leather boots, a deep blue cloak.

“Saving Grace”
This two handed sword is supposedly made my Thane himself. It is unusually hard to use for most anyone else, especially if they try to pull of the moves he normally does. It is set with a clear red pommelstone. Stange writing can be seen on one side of the blade. Broader in the upper half.

Blue cloak
Not looking any different than most other clothes, this cloak will stop almost all piercing and slashing damage (if the weapon hits the cloak, that is.) It will not stop the actual physical blow, however, and does nothing against bashing weapons like maces.

Class: Fighter/Unknown type of Sorcerer

Favorite Saying: “Personal fulfillment is not a part of my duty.”

Thane Graise is very rare. In fact, no one has seen another person much like him. He fits no real molds or descriptions. He comments little on his native race, but none like him exist here now, if they ever did.

Thane Graise calls himself the Traveller. This is because, through an inborn skill, he can open a rift into another world. In his words,”There are infinite worlds to choose from, and therefore, infinite possibilities. If you visualize a world just slightly wrong, you could end up in another place entirely.” No one knows why he makes these journeys, but he has, at times, fought for both good and evil.

He follows a set of morals all his own. He acts for reasons no one knows or comprehends.

Thane’s emotions are usually slightly whimsical and amused. At times, it seems like the universe is some sort of private joke only he knows the answer to. In specific cases, however, he has, without warning, lapsed into unusual depressions, followed by a dull sort of sadness that wears off after a while. This often occurs when people ask him personal questions, or he changes sides.

He has never offered reasons why he does what he does, but he has a purpose in this world and many others. That much is certain.

Being a being capable of planar travel, Thane has some unusual skills.

Basic Sorcery
Thane takes all of his energy and power from within himself as an innate ability. He can mold this into many different forms. This includes what appears to look like basic magic or spell casting, but without scrolls, staffs, or the like. Many people, even accomplished mages, cannot tell the difference.

Temporal Rift
By creating a discontinuity between space and time, Thane can open an inter-planer portal for about 15 seconds. It can take him from one point on one world to another, or to another plane of existence. It is not known how he does this, exactly, but it uses the same source of power his Sorceries do. It is rumored that he can traverse time as well, but has not been proven by the few that have recognized him.

Time Shift
By changing his relation to time, Thane can slow down his perceptions and speed up his actions. It requires concentration to keep the state up. Once activated, it is hard to get him to understand verbal speech or gestures, or understand him either, and his outine appears indistinct and blurred. When in this state, his actions are more than 3 times faster than most people. This draws from the same source of power.

Physical Feat
By channeling power into his actions, Thane can pull off stunts like backflips, complicated maneuvers, and high jumping. This draws upon the same source of power.

It is rumored that other temporal-based weapons are at his disposal, but have not been recorded or verified.

For all of his oddness, Thane looks like any other traveler to the ordinary person. A few high dignitaries may have a clue as to who he is, as his ‘duties’ often bring him into contact with leaders and dignitaries. Rulers, ruling Mages, Kings, and a few others may know almost the entire picture.

Love affairs: Thane may have had a love affair earlier in his life for all that anyone knows, but he has no close ties to others, and he tries not to make close friends…if his ‘duty’ demands him to change sides, he may be facing his own companions.

“Your pain shall be legendary!”
-Thane

If anyone has any ideas on what RP's currently up I could join, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Edited by: Thane Graise at: 3/1/04 7:02 pm

pd Rydia

Re: New Character: Thane Graise

Unread postby pd Rydia » Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:29 pm

Hello there, and welcome to RPGWW. Hope you enjoy your stay here. ^_^

Your character looks good; he might be a little overpowered for starting out with, but from what I can tell, it won't be too much of a problem if at all, certainly not hard to adjust once you start getting into RPs with us.

Most board RPs are closed once they begin so you'll have to join when they are recruiting (in the OOC forum). There is a board RP (Grand Reopening, Main Gaera RPs) that is open to your character, though that RP is quite on it's way to death.

Chat RPs do recruitment in OOC as well, but also over AIM. Hop onto AIM (download it if you need to) and log onto the chat RPGWW Chat (by inviting yourself, asking for an invitation, or following the link). From there you can ask if there's any chat RPs going on.

Have fun RPing! <p>
<center>Hello, I'm Dia. I'm a dragongirl, and I bite. RAWR!
</center><small>-=- "Maybe... or maybe you're just not drunk enough." -- Nakibe
-=- "Magic. As in, big flashy dink!" -- El Bob (Squintz)
-=- "Look hun, it's...uh...raining... ...frogs...O_o;;;" -- Aya, Queen of Doma (LDC)
-=- "I FOUND A CORNER! I found a corner, I found a corner! See, right here! Stuck on the wall! It's a corner! Woo hoo! Now, to stare at it!" -- Daenj'r (KingOfDoma)</small></p>

FlamingDeth

Unread postby FlamingDeth » Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:13 pm

I bet he has a poor poker face. <p>Image</p>

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:45 pm

Hmmm... Super Speed, Gating and teleportation, Good Swordmanship, Magic...

I'd say he's a bit overpowered for Gaera. You should drop a few things and scale back the rest. It helps to start small here; it's easier to subtly add power when it 'needed' than to take it away after using it.

Overall, I suggest emphasizing character over powers. Our style of RPing tends emphasize interaction over going out and slaying a bunch of monsters/bandits/demons/what have you. So, try to define your character by who he is and what he does, rather than by what powers and such he has.

Thane Graise

Unread postby Thane Graise » Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:18 pm

Hmmmmm....I should of mentioned this. You know how some characters "hide their power?" Thane doesn't exactly go around showing what he is. Besides the fact, they all draw on his personal power. As he uses his special abilities more and more, he loses more and more physical endurance and rest. He can only regain his strength by sleep. It's the same type of strength we use for ordinary tasks, except that his "race" has a much bigger supply of it, and uses it in many ways. Once Thane has ran out of his personal strength, if he continues casting, he will sap his personal health.

With the portals, they require more than half of his daily strength to open. They are the most exhausting thing he does. Also, by being able to travel worlds, it allows him the possibility as acting as a tie in to other RP games or plot points.

Ex: Party A locks up the evil Party B, including the chief bad guy, in one world. Thane is in party A at the time. Eventually, his duties bring him to release party B into another world. After that, he switches back to working for good, and brings part A into the other world where Party C is loosing against party B. Kind of confusing, but you get the point.

The fact that he hides some of his power also enables the Thane character to go with a group or by himself. He could even be a boss-type person for a party.

Banjooie

Unread postby Banjooie » Wed Mar 03, 2004 3:49 am

...no. <p><Chat> <Matto says, "What's up?"
<Chat> <Prince_Herb says, "Angst."
<Chat> <Prince_Herb says, "Drama."
<Chat> <Prince_Herb says, "Betrayal."
<Chat> <Prince_Herb says, "Plushies."</p>

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Wed Mar 03, 2004 4:41 am

The Banj makes a persuasive argument.

Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Wed Mar 03, 2004 4:44 am

Very persuasive, yes. And I totally agree :( <p>

<div style="text-align:center">
Image</div>
<div style="text-align:center">Why Barius has no family reunions.</div></p>

Elementalist Daien

Unread postby Elementalist Daien » Wed Mar 03, 2004 8:09 am

Yan: And I thought I was overpowered. ;_;

... Erm, I mean. Seriously. This is not a character for any one character to handle around in CI. Maybe to use as a plot tool such as Yan here. *pat pat*

Return to Character Closet