Um...my character, I suppose...

Character sheet archiving. Help with characters can be solicited here. This is also the place to talk Philsys or other RPing systems.
yalborap

Um...my character, I suppose...

Unread postby yalborap » Fri Feb 27, 2004 3:44 pm

Forgive me for any errors I may make, for I am extremely new and have only RPed for a few months.

name: His real name is jason, but most people call him yal, and occasionally, the bladed reaper.
height: Roughly 5' 2"
race: Fire/dog demon/monster/mage/Whatever the hell it would be in that particular RP.
abilities: Can use skills of other demons/monsters/mages/whatever it is in that RP.
weaknesses: Doesn't really think about what might go wrong in a plan, as one person said in an RP he thinks with his heart, is sometimes a little too trusting of friends.
advantages: Becomes a lot stronger when his focus is on protecting those he cares for, and if you push him far enough, pretty much anything in a three mile radius will die.
weapons: A huge blade(almost five feet long) that he can alter through magic, and energy weapons(magic if energy projection is impossible in that RP).
past:(this one is short, forgive me if it's too short.) learned he was a demon at age five, killed his foster parents at age ten, and has been wandering ever since.

Anything I forgot?

pd Rydia

Re: Um...my character, I suppose...

Unread postby pd Rydia » Fri Feb 27, 2004 4:44 pm

This is alright to start with--honestly when I started RPing I didn't have much more than this to go on. However, when I started RPing here I had to fill out my character more, because the quality of RPing expected at RPGWW is higher than what most communities require.

First off, I need to ask, do you plan to use this character in Gaera? Gaera is our main world and has a lot of information made up about it already. If you do plan to use him in Gaera, I can help you out with finding a race for him to belong to, and a country to have grown up in, etc.

Now, on to what I can say as it is. That background needs work. Just some questions I thought of while reading the background: if he had foster parents, how did he come to be fostered? Were they the same race as him? How did he find out he was a demon and why didn't he know before? Why did he kill his parents and why hasn't the law come after him? Hopefully, through his background you can give us an idea of what his personality is like.

Also, angsty demon kid is kind of an overdone concept, but that doesn't mean you can't pull it off. You could consider what might make him unique, though (hint: powers do not alone lend to uniqueness). Also, what's his motivation to interact with other characters? Can't have a one-man RP after all.

Ah, and finally, I hate to say that he's overpowered. It's a common problem with people coming in from other communities, so don't feel bad. However, this 12 year old kid would outclass most if not all of the some-hundred characters RPed here...besides being unrealistic, as many of these characters are aged veterans and such whatnot, it's also not very fun for the RPers involved. Sucks out all the challenge and balance, you know?

Specifically, this part is unacceptable: "if you push him far enough, pretty much anything in a three mile radius will die." However, this part is iffy, because it's not well-defined: "Can use skills of other demons/monsters/mages/whatever it is in that RP."

Also, could you please describe the race he belongs to? As in, appearance, innate skills and weaknesses (ability to transform, enhanced sight/smell/so on, weakness to holy magic, etc. etc.), where they live, what their society is like? I'm always interested in people's ideas for races. <p>
<center>Hello, I'm Dia. I'm a dragongirl, and I bite. RAWR!
</center><small>-=- "Maybe... or maybe you're just not drunk enough." -- Nakibe
-=- "Magic. As in, big flashy dink!" -- El Bob (Squintz)
-=- "Look hun, it's...uh...raining... ...frogs...O_o;;;" -- Aya, Queen of Doma (LDC)
-=- "I FOUND A CORNER! I found a corner, I found a corner! See, right here! Stuck on the wall! It's a corner! Woo hoo! Now, to stare at it!" -- Daenj'r (KingOfDoma)</small></p>Edited by: pd Rydia&nbsp; Image at: 2/27/04 4:47 pm

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Fri Feb 27, 2004 5:47 pm

The three mile death radius thing should really go. If you can't think of a reason that he would lose that ability, perhaps someone else here can. Overpowered characters have been brought to Gaera and had their abilities forgotten, sealed, or lost before.

If you kept this ability, keep in mind that it must never be actually used. This may be difficult to RP, because when others stay in character, they may very well "push him too far," in which case you need to hack up a reason very quickly as to why he doesn't go ballistic. It's generally easier just to remove the skill.

Guns aren't too common on Gaera. They exist but they are very low tech, and hard to get ahold of. The most advanced guns are WWI tech level, I believe, and primarily to be found in the country of Valth, which is predominantly human and xenophobic. You'd need to do some manipulating to get him to have killed his parents that way, or choose for them to die through another manner.

Now, one idea that comes to mind, is that you could do what others before you have done--make a variation of your character that fits Gaera, instead of porting the character over directly. Lower down his power a bit and have him kill his parents in another manner, and that'd be basically the only changes you'd need to make (based on the information given).

Another idea, which has also been done by others, is that you could have him be an offworlder, who comes to Gaera through a portal, spell, banishment, what-have-you. This would provide a good way to seal some of his powers, which as I said before are generally too powerful for this community.

As for race. It sounds like he'd make a good half-inujin (dog person), half-demon of your choice (we have various demon races). You could also make him a shape-shifting demon who choses the form he's currently in. I'm not too familiar with the demons of Gaera, as opposed to other races, but I believe some incubi can shapeshift to a degree. The third option is to make up a new demon race, which wouldn't be a problem, but you would need to actually come up with a moderate amount of information on the race for the website. <p>
-=- "Look hun, it's...uh...raining... ...frogs...O_o;;;" -- Aya, Queen of Doma (LDC)
-=- "I FOUND A CORNER! I found a corner, I found a corner! See, right here! Stuck on the wall! It's a corner! Woo hoo! Now, to stare at it!" -- Daenj'r (KingOfDoma)</small></p>Edited by: pd Rydia&nbsp; Image at: 2/27/04 5:49 pm

yalborap

Unread postby yalborap » Fri Feb 27, 2004 6:10 pm

^_^; I figured I'd screw up.

The thing about the whole three mile radius death is basically your classic anger driven rampage. He can control it, but you push him too far and it happens anyway. Only two things make this noticable: he always uses a swordckle(a swickle with a sword instead of a handle.) made of energy so it won't harm him, and his eyes are pure red. No pupil nothin', just red.
Oh, and in this form, he is refered to as the bladed reaper.

And it wasn't my fault he gained this much power. It just sorta happened in another RP.

He killed his parents after he ran away. His parents were upper class, he hated the fake respect so he ran. They came looking, and, due to demon influence(and a bit of the anger driven rage), he pretty much lost all sense of morals and pumped entire clips of bullets into their heads.

His appearence...Image <--- that without the nija outfit, and black hair, plus some dog ears.

And he can be easily defeated. he's actually like a smarter hero from RPG world. You just have to figure out a way to keep him from tapping into those limitless reserves of power.

Any more I forgot to mention?

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Fri Feb 27, 2004 6:26 pm

Yes, do you plan to use this character in Gaera? <p>
-=- "I FOUND A CORNER! I found a corner, I found a corner! See, right here! Stuck on the wall! It's a corner! Woo hoo! Now, to stare at it!" -- Daenj'r (KingOfDoma)</small></p>

yalborap

Unread postby yalborap » Fri Feb 27, 2004 6:28 pm

Probably. So, what exactly has to go in there for me to RP in Gaera?

yalborap

Unread postby yalborap » Fri Feb 27, 2004 7:40 pm

Okay. In that case, he was banished form his homeworld from the killing of his parents, and had almost all of his powers sealed to keep it from happening again.

And I suppose I COULD make a new demon type. Should I just post the info right here, or make a new thread somewhere for that?

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Fri Feb 27, 2004 8:07 pm

No need to if he's an offworlder. :D Other worlds have tons upon tons of races and Gaerans don't pay a whole lot of attention to them.

I'm still personally interested in learning more about the race he is, however. You really should give it a name. :P <p>
-=- "I FOUND A CORNER! I found a corner, I found a corner! See, right here! Stuck on the wall! It's a corner! Woo hoo! Now, to stare at it!" -- Daenj'r (KingOfDoma)</small></p>

yalborap

Unread postby yalborap » Fri Feb 27, 2004 8:14 pm

Okay then.

name of race:(Um...somebody give me something that isn't corny. Until then, the race will be known as morphis demon.)

rarity: Extremely rare.

details: The morphis demon is extremly rare, due mostly to the fact that you can't be born as one. You have to have a certian mix of human and dmeon bloods to become a morphis demon, hence making it next to impossible to find one. these demons are next to powerless in their normal form, and usually use one form above all else, known as the demon form. They can become any type of demon, and use said demon type's abilities, except for ones requiring the demon to have only that demon type's blood. they also develop specific characteristics of the first demon's blood that enters their body.

particular weaknesses: Like I said, they're weak in their normal form, so if you catch them in this form, you have an advantage.

There ya go.

Return to Character Closet