This is the right spot... right? =D

Character sheet archiving. Help with characters can be solicited here. This is also the place to talk Philsys or other RPing systems.
Dante Leonhart

This is the right spot... right? =D

Unread postby Dante Leonhart » Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:40 am

I was thinking of joining the board with a character that I currently have already. I was just wondering what kind of RPing restrictions (mainly, technologically) you may have on this board. I am currently reading the rules, but its already late for me, so I'm probably going to finish up tomorrow. Chance are, I'll have already answered my own question by then as well.

Heh, sorry if I've already goofed... <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Re: This is the right spot... right? =D

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:21 am

I suppose this would be better in the OOC forum. If anyone complains I'll move it there but you're close enough for me. This here's the Character Closet, where people put up descriptions of their characters and their statistics (if they're using such a system).

Role-playing here comes in two main varieties: Freestyle and Systemed. Freestyle is just where you describe your actions, describe their effects, and basically do everything just with words. The only real rule (which has sometimes been ignored in the sillier rps) is no Godmoding (ie: making your character undefeatable, making your character's attacks always hit, etc).

Systemed means that you have to roll dice to determine the outcomes of actions. The main style we use is PhilSys (rules ) but sometimes we use others (there's a D&D rp right now).

Most RPs are set in Gaera, a world of our own creation. It's a pretty standard fantasy setting, there's a guide [url=http://greatdave.org//rpgww/rpstuff/world_gaera.html>here
]

I am just too damn British.
</p>Edited by: Suicidal Sprite at: 1/14/04 1:22 am

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:18 am

There are multiple worlds we RP in. Our main world, Gaera, has a medieval level technology overall, although certain parts of the world (Valth, for instance) are more advanced. DF, another world that is used often, takes place around 2010 Earth, or somesuch, and has a more advanced technological level (someone else will have to fill you in on that, as I don't RP in DF). Most other settings are one-timers, so you'd have to ask as they develop. <p>
Hello, I'm Dia, a dragongirl. And I bite. RAWR!
-=- "Y'know, I've always been told that dragons are bigger. And less bi-pedal." -- Cuimacc (MovieMan)
-=- "Got Dragonale?" -- Richard (Nakibe)
-=- "Half elves? Uh oh, they are eaten by Dragons, we call them Dwagon Kibble here..." -- Lord McBastard
-=- "*Today's important Lesson. Dragongirls Bite. Nekojin nip*" -- UnclePervy</p>

Dante Leonhart

Unread postby Dante Leonhart » Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:33 am

Awesome.

I've always used the freestyle form. I tried a system of stats once on another board, but I found it too restricting to any story or plot I was trying to get across.

I guess my main concern was the type of weapons my character carries with him (guns). Would something like that be a problem here? <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

Justice Augustus
Administrator

Unread postby Justice Augustus » Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:35 am

Well certain "Other RPs" are set in worlds where guns are commonplace...and I know there are some in Gaera (though they're very uncommon and quite low tech) because some people's characters use them.
<p>

I am just too damn British.
</p>

pd Rydia

Unread postby pd Rydia » Wed Jan 14, 2004 4:03 am

You'll find Philsys, our local stat system, to not be restrictive to the story at all. It's something to look into when you've been here for a while, because a character made for Philsys can enter both freestyle and Philsys RPs, where a freestyle character can only enter freestyle. <p>
Hello, I'm Dia, a dragongirl. And I bite. RAWR!
-=- "Y'know, I've always been told that dragons are bigger. And less bi-pedal." -- Cuimacc (MovieMan)
-=- "Got Dragonale?" -- Richard (Nakibe)
-=- "Half elves? Uh oh, they are eaten by Dragons, we call them Dwagon Kibble here..." -- Lord McBastard
-=- "*Today's important Lesson. Dragongirls Bite. Nekojin nip*" -- UnclePervy</p>

Dante Leonhart

Unread postby Dante Leonhart » Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:15 pm

I figured before I post summen, I needed to post my chars stats, which is what I set out to do when I first posted this topic... but it slipped my mind

Eek

My character isn’t completely original. He is inspired by a compilation of several other characters and stories.

Character's Full Name: Danté Leonhart

Character's Race: Human and Sheikah

Character's Homeland: Arcadia

Character's Special Weapons and Such: A pair of .50 caliber handguns, one black, the other white that he calls Ebony and Ivory. A double-barreled shotgun. A pair of gauntlets junctioned to a fire-element, Guardian Force named Ifrit. A huge, but fast sword junctioned to a lightning-element Guardian Force name Alastor. Well-versed in several forms of magic and has experience with most elements.

Character's Special Abilities: On his human side, he retains his father’s strength, pride and unwillingness to admit to defeat, as well as several of his magical abilities. On his sheikah side, his magical abilities are enhanced, of course. He has all the skills and stealth associated with the ninja-esque, clan-race, without sacrificing any power-for-speed. As Sheikah, he also ages very slow. He’s not immortal like an elf (will not die unless killed) but there’s no telling how long he might live.

Character's Weaknesses: Danté isn’t invulnerable to any kinds of attacks. They’ll all injure him in some form or another, but because of his skills and the magic he has learned to defend himself with, he has far more dexterity than a normal human or Sheikah would. As far as weaknesses go… Danté’s greatest weakness is probably his attitude, or even his demeanor, if you will. His unwillingness to give up, even when he is clearly outmatched or defeated can put him in… difficult situations, and though he may be introverted at times, if someone were to say the wrong thing, his temper can be very short.

A brief Story of your character: Ignore the bio in the profile. (Assuming I haven’t updated it at this point.) When he was young, Danté started off with the perfect childhood. He lived with his parents in a valley between the mountains and a port-town where no one bothered them much. One night, he had snuck out, after grabbing his father’s sword (just to practice with) only to return and find his parents brutally murdered. To make a long story short (as this is supposed to be a Brief Story) Danté had discovered the name of the monster that murdered his parents in the night, but not in time to find it and exact his revenge. Once it had gotten away, he could not find it again. A few years passed, and he stumbled upon an adventurer who could travel through time, and seizing the opportunity, used this ability to return to a time before his parents were killed and prevent it from happening. But, he failed in part. His father was still killed, and his mother ended up missing altogether. For now, he still hunts the one who shattered his family more than once, but his hope of finding revenge has long faded away. As a result, all he can do is wander, hoping that sometime in his long life-span, he stumbles upon the one who killed his father. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:33 pm

I think he may have way too many weapons and ways to kill things, but that's my opinion. I would suggested toning down the combat aspect a bit, as that is hardly what we tend to focus on in our RPing.

Also of note: Don't feel you have to make your character particularly strong so he can survive anything. GMs tend to not be in the habit of killing off other characters unless they do something particularly stupid. And overpowered characters do have a tendancy to be targets. <p>------------------
Greetings, large black person. Let us not forget to form a team up together and go into the country to inflict the pain of our karate feets on some ass of the giant lizard person.
</p>

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Wed Jan 14, 2004 7:18 pm

Hello! I would just like to point out that characters based totally on other characters don't work well around here. I would suggest trying to make him more unique to yourself, and changing his name/weapon's names so they aren't the Devil May Cry guy.

Zemyla

Unread postby Zemyla » Wed Jan 14, 2004 7:27 pm

He needs a mysterious cloak that hides all of his face except for his glowing eyes. <p>-----
Do not taunt Happy Fun Zemyla.

I think boobs are the lesser of two evils. - Inverse (Pervy)
Dammit, Dan, I'm not dating a damn NPC! - OOC Will (Will Baseton)
Of course! Anything worth doing is worth doing completely wrong! - Travis English

Brotherhood of Elitist Bastards</p>

Dante Leonhart

Unread postby Dante Leonhart » Wed Jan 14, 2004 8:10 pm

Eep! Well, I can't really change anything at all. He is the continuation of a character that has already existed on another board for 2+ years. Changing anything would destroy the continuity and the already existing character.

But, despite his looks, name, and abilities, he is not the Devil May Cry guy. His looks were used because he resembled almost perfectly one of my other characters. His first name was chosen by another RPer (not myself) and he was pretty much stuck with his lastname - that couldn't have been changed and he has a completely different history.

C'est la vie. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Wed Jan 14, 2004 8:59 pm

You may wish to check and see if that continuity will work out before you establish it.

For example, if you're bringing him to Gaera, outworlders bringing in technology not found in a fantasy are generally frowned upon very heavily. Also, there may be differences in the general workings of the two universes. I've had to alter characters I've brought in from another forum to make them work here. <p>------------------
Greetings, large black person. Let us not forget to form a team up together and go into the country to inflict the pain of our karate feets on some ass of the giant lizard person.
</p>

kensudf2

Unread postby kensudf2 » Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:02 pm

work sucks, dante! that is all.

Dante Leonhart

Unread postby Dante Leonhart » Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:07 pm

Actually, checking the continuity of my character is what I've been checking in this entire thread. Hence the questions posed here. (Namely the first few posts)

Ken! Back to work! They don't pay you to RP! Besides... if Charles saw it...

*shudder* <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:21 pm

I'm something of a continuity manipulation veteran myself.

Tell me what world you intend to bring him to, I'll help iron out the troubles a bit ^^

If you're going for Gaera, you may want to have him accidentally leave behind some of his stuff, for example. Otherwise, this character may be a bit overpowered in that regard. <p>------------------
</p>

Dante Leonhart

Unread postby Dante Leonhart » Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:27 pm

I'm not sure which where he'd go. I'm still readin' up on the different 'worlds' here to see where he'd best fit. <p><div style="text-align:center">Image</div></p>

NebulaQueen

Unread postby NebulaQueen » Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:32 pm

Well, for the record, AU versions of different characters aren't unheard of (for example, some characters in the DF universe are different versions of Gaera characters). While you don't want to go completely crazy-go-nuts with it, it is a possibility. For example, a different version of Dante could be made to fit into Gaera, while the original is used in his previous RP universe, or used again somewhere else. <p>

<span style="font-size:xx-small;">
"Hello, I'm Troy Mclure! You may remember me from such realms as Hell, and Gaera!"-Shinigori, OOC</span></p>

kensudf2

Unread postby kensudf2 » Thu Jan 15, 2004 3:43 am

nah , dante, was on break...lol. we wound up doing nothing as usual...

Uncle Pervy

Unread postby Uncle Pervy » Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:02 pm

Please don't spam threads ouside of the spam forum. <_< <p>------------------
</p>

Return to Character Closet