Kirby Academy for the Gifted

For all RPs taking place in other settings.
Talen Lee
Some Fuck

Re: Kirby Academy for the Gifted

Unread postby Talen Lee » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:05 am

There was a certain family of people who when presented with a table full of delicious options would try and sample everything at once, like trying to fit the ocean in a teacup. Somewhere between them and Kharif lay 'most normal people,' though, as the boy reached past hot, fresh waffles, risen mounds of scrambled eggs, crispy bacon and non, slices of cheese, bowls of rice, folded savoury creams, breads from all corners of several worlds and picked up a breakfast bowl. Filled with bran, then a scattering of fresh cream and strawberries, a concession to sugar that everyone, no matter how stern, could appreciate. Turned to the gesturing arm, he tilted his head, holding the bowl, and with that same stoic silence, walked forwards and seated himself next to Bluebird.

That was it, though - he sat with the bowl in front of him, his head tilted slightly to the side, and simply started to eat - as if being invited to sit was in no way an invitation to speak.

Visavis

Unread postby Visavis » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:29 pm

'Don't be nervous,' Jeremy's father would have told him. However, it wasn't nervousness that Jeremy found himself feeling while watching Kharif across the table so much as a slowly building resentment.

'Why isn't he talking?'

It simply wasn't normal. He found it very rude, even.

"Uh, hello?" Started Jeremy, irritation evident right from the start.

Talen Lee
Some Fuck

Unread postby Talen Lee » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:05 pm

Slowly shifting in his seat, setting down the spoon, everything about Kharif was a deliberate action. He reached into his shirt, finding the leatherbound notepad. A pencil. Tip to the paper, he scribbled and scrawled for a moment, before sliding the paper across the table:

If I was a mute, you'd feel rather rude right now.

Visavis

Unread postby Visavis » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:47 pm

In that brief moment it took to read the note, Jeremy tilted his head. He set down the utensils he'd been using and crossed his arms across his chest while giving Kharif another look, this one laced with suspicion.

"If you were, but you're not," he paused, "are you?"

Talen Lee
Some Fuck

Unread postby Talen Lee » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 pm

Pointedly, Kharif turned back to his bowl, eating quietly as he waited for the silence to become good and awkward.

Visavis

Unread postby Visavis » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:59 am

It seemed to take Jeremy a bit to catch on to the pointedness of the silence. Once he had, however, his eyes widened a bit, and the look of irritation disappeared. After a quick glance to the other two, he shrunk in on himself a bit.

"I.. s-sorry. I didn't mean to be so rude or anything," he said, glancing up at Kharif just once as he did so before averting his gaze.

Talen Lee
Some Fuck

Unread postby Talen Lee » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:56 am

Shifting slightly in his seat as he ate, Kharif settled his spoon down. Looking at the milk until it stopped moving. Around him, people were eating, moving, talking - some were excited, some were nervous. There was this ... volume about it, where everyone was trying to find the shape of their social environments - in many cases by the use of sonar.

Kharif didn't have that same urge.

Change the pattern. Kharif took the pencil and the paper again, turning the page around slowly. Then he wrote a new line:
Karif Rigby

With that much expression done, he pushed the paper back, before reaching down to pick up the spoon and go back to eating his dull breakfast.

Visavis

Unread postby Visavis » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:07 am

Jeremy glanced back long enough to read the sheet before gazing away again.

"I'm Jeremy Sharma," he said with an almost solemn tone. A moment later, his eyebrows shot up. "Panoram! I mean Panoram. That's what.. what the school.. It's Panoram."

There he was, looking embarrassed again. Panoram sighed, then picked up his utensils and started poking at his waffles, for which he suddenly seemed to lack enthusiasm.

Talen Lee
Some Fuck

Unread postby Talen Lee » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:31 am

Karif nodded. Well, that was relatively easy. He looked to the others, as he took the paper, folding it back over and tucking it back into the pages of the book in which he wrote. The strange thing was, while everyone was required to give their name, there was no sensible way, in his mind, for that fact to be enforced. They were teenagers. They were idiots. Unless there was a psychic plucking the thoughts out of people's heads, and that seemed like a lot of work in a hall so large, with so many people.

The other side of it was that if people knew their names - both their own and others' - as normal, then maybe they wouldn't think of them as having powers. After all, the implication at the hall talk had been that there were 'normal' people here... having a normal name and not pulling his arm off seemed a fine place for Karif to start, hunkering down under the myth of normalcy.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:07 pm

A little unnerved at first, Lucja keeps quiet as she watches the interchange between their newest guest and Panoram. Once things seem to settle without breaking into an argument (or even worse, another fight), she offers Karif a grin between bites. He seems like a pretty good guy! A little intimidating, but a pretty good guy!

"I'm Pryzmat! So what kinda stuff do you do, Karif? Um..." She gives a quick look over his costume, before an idea seems to almost visibly appear in her head. "Oh! Controlling plants?"

Oleai
Oh, Hi!

Unread postby Oleai » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:25 pm

> GUI On

Bluebird lowered her hand once Kharif had found his way over and - surprisingly sat right beside her. Then things got quiet. She sat, patiently as she could, as Panoram tried to coax some words from the quiet boy - to no avail. Her eye feeding information. Facial recognition and emotional estimates. Panoram seemed almost upset at Kharif for some reason.. for a brief moment. Curious.

Wrrrrrrrr......

Astella glanced down as Kharif wrote his messages, taking the information offered to someone else - and storing it away for later.
As she looked him over from this closer position, her eye began to read out information.

> New Subject
> Name: Kharif Rigby
> Height: 5 feet 11 inches
> Weight: Between 150lbs~180lbs
> Eye Color: Light Brown, hints of gold - UN: Mutation? Or maybe just pretty eyes.
> Power: Impossible to determine presently - UN: The only skin exposed on his whole body, is his face. Everything else is covered. Powers might have something to do with physical contact.

Bluebird took a baby scoot to the side.

Wrrrrrrrr......

"I'm Jeremy Sharma" Bluebird heard, but did not react. The instant look of shock and embarrassment at the little slip of the tongue made her smile, and why that is she didn't know. Still, there could be something to be done about this. With her eyes on Jeremy, more than Kharif, "I'm Astella. My handle is Bluebird." Hopefully giving her first name would help alleviate things just a bit. Now, turning to Kharif proper, "I would be interested to learn that as well. No doubt you witnessed most of the situation a moment ago? That puts us at a slight disadvantage." She smiled, to convey her peaceful tone a little better.

> Subject: Panoram
> Amend Name: Panoram (Jeremy Sharma)

Talen Lee
Some Fuck

Shah...

Unread postby Talen Lee » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:56 pm

Karif had set the pencil down on the book - and being asked another question prompted a change in his motions. Reaching out with that same deliberate slowness, he took the pencil back again, adjusting it carefully between his gloved hands. Pulling out the notebook again, he set it on the table. In it? Dozens of little scribbled notes, removed pages, several of which didn't even seem to be in English. There was some sense to it - after all, with a name like Karif Rigby, there had to be a story there.

Turning the book carefully, like he was doing some sort of very elaborate, slow magic trick, he looked at the paper again, then turned back through the book a few pages. Tapping the pencil against the page, he pushed the book towards Bluebird.

I like to read.
I like to box.
I like woodwork.
I thought Land Before Time was really good.

An introduction he'd jotted down once, years ago - and it'd served him well enough in these days, while in the back of his mind, the question lurked: Everyone likes talking about their powers. Everyone else.

Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:39 pm

Abrams:

The girl seems at a loss for a moment. "Uh, yeah. I'm the one with the grey hair...'s sister." She says, confidently.

--------------

Students:

Longshot sits with the rest of her new friends, slowly eating her waffles and fruit. As names come up, she begins to look a little nervous, and confused. "Are we...Supposed t' tell people our real names? I mean..." She looks down at herself, then at the others who are already in uniform. "I thought it was kinda supposed t' be...Uh...Ann..Annonun...Secret." She asks, worriedly.

Meanwhile, the sharp eyed might notice Brigand sitting a table or two over, staring at the group- At least, until she notices she's been seen, when she promptly looks away.

Talen Lee
Some Fuck

Unread postby Talen Lee » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:47 pm

Karif tilted his head, listening. Elbows in by his side, pencil held, he turned to a fresh page. Pencil flowed in fast, fluid motions, long, steady loops.

1. People with powers are meant to use code names.
2. You've all used real names.
3. there's no way they can possibly expect teenagers to maintain any level of secrecy.

A moment to hold the book out, then he pulled the book back into his place, sitting with his hands resting on his lap, the empty cereal bowl before him.

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:06 am

Longshot's look of concern deepens, and she lightly touches her mask, as if making sure she is, in fact, wearing it. "I--I didn't use my real name, did I? Oh, nooo..."

(Yes, Longshot's accent got neutered. It's still very thick, I'm just kind of sick of writing it already. THANKS OBAMA.)

Talen Lee
Some Fuck

Unread postby Talen Lee » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:51 am

A moment, a sigh. Pencil back in hand, scribble.

1. People with powers are meant to use code names.
2. You've all used real names. except Longshot
3. there's no way they can possibly expect teenagers to maintain any level of secrecy.

Oleai
Oh, Hi!

Unread postby Oleai » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:25 am

"Any mastermind with a sharp enough eye could identify me at a glance. My family isn't what you would consider helpless." Kharif had played a solid stick in the mud for her plans at bonding with the few students she'd spoken to. Ah well. It wasn't a major loss anyway, she didn't give her surname and that bit about being identified at a glance wasn't false afterall.

A small glance at the empty seat on her other side, and the eavesdropping Brigand a few tables over led Bluebird to waving another student to join them. As she did so, she spoke, "Since you gave your name, I'm to assume you have no powers. Which makes no sense, considering where you are. You have -something-. You're roughly our age, yet you wear gloves at breakfast. It isn't particularly cold in here. In fact, the gathering of students has risen the room's temperature by at least two degrees from an already mild 70."

Not having a meal to focus on, or any real reason to sit properly, Bluebird turns to straddle the little bench-seat facing toward Kharif now. Elbow rested on the table, fist to her cheek to support the weight of her head, "Meaning you're .. .." She mulled for a moment for a kind way to put it, ".. Unpredictable, with your metahuman abilities. How is my aim?"

> UN: Kharif seems detached. The 'Wise quiet one'. Hard to assess reliability. He didn't exactly leap up to assist in that fight earlier.

Her eyes darted to Jeremy for another brief moment, then back to Kharif.

Talen Lee
Some Fuck

Unread postby Talen Lee » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:11 am

The book again. Turning the page, Karif set a new line. A moment, where thought was obvious, before he finally turned the page.

Many misses.
A few lines, then the pencil began again.
What's your favourite book?
Then he spun the book around, making sure everyone could read the question one after another.

It wasn't really even evasive. Karif was just, like a flat hammer, ramming against the expected path of the conversation, trying to draw out the tablemates onto another topic.

Visavis

Unread postby Visavis » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:29 am

Even as Panoram smiled just a bit at Bluebird giving her first name, he said to Longarm, "We're not supposed to.. I just messed up. So, uhm.. just remember Panoram, okay?"

His enthusiasm for his waffles picked up slightly. Only after saying that to Longarm did he take a look at Karif's note. Panoram's eyes flicked over to the other boy for just a moment before flicking away again. Then there were Bluebird's predictions and Karif's response. Panoram's brow furrowed a little, but.. he decided to let it slide, at least for the moment.

"Harry Potter," he replied.

Flick flick.

Oleai
Oh, Hi!

Unread postby Oleai » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:31 am

> Amend UN: Further testing required.

Bluebird shrugged, "Can't win them all!" She didn't talk about her favorite book, or why Kharif was deflecting. Instead she went back to eyeing Brigand.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:33 pm

Lucja just finds herself confused by Karif, at a complete loss what even to say. She's never really met anyone like him before, let alone "spoken" to anyone like him, and she fumbles in her mind for what even to say. The question gives her something to hold onto, and after a moment to think, she replies.

"Um...I really like Phantom Tollbooth? What about you, what's yours?"

He's probably just trying to get to know them better? It's as good a way as any, though it still strikes her as really strange how much he's kept away from any questions about himself.

Talen Lee
Some Fuck

Unread postby Talen Lee » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:29 pm

Most people fidgeted with their pencils, tapped them, twirled them, moved them from hand to hand. It was human instinct to move, to manipulate a small device like that. Karif didn't. That same conservation of movement - that discipline, really. Closing his eyes very deliberately, then opening them again, he scrawled beneath the question:
I don't really have one. There are so many, after all.
Bringing the pencil to his lips, more to symbolise that he was thinking than as any unconscious effort, he set the pencil down again, writing, then turned the page once more.
Invite her over.

NebulaQueen

Unread postby NebulaQueen » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:15 am

The kid's hesitation seems pretty odd, truth be told. Is she lying? That seems like a weird thing to lie about. Still, she's close enough to cover for her, whether she's telling the truth or not.

Not wanting to come on too strong, Abrams beams at her, and says, "Two siblings at the same school? That's something. Though...what are your names, again? Sorry, I don't think I caught them."

Oleai
Oh, Hi!

Unread postby Oleai » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:50 am

Bluebird, for once, is completely not paying attention! Or rather, she isn't looking at Karif's book.

Visavis

Unread postby Visavis » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:55 pm

"Invite who over?"

Panoram glanced around at the others until his gaze fell on Bluebird, and from her, over his shoulder. For a moment, he failed to notice Brigand. Just another face in a sea of odd. Once he did, though..

"Oh, her," he said as he turned back to the others, "I don't think she's very nice."

Talen Lee
Some Fuck

Unread postby Talen Lee » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:46 am

The way Karif turned, tilted his head and just looked at Panoram was the sort of silence that dwelled at the bottoms of oceans. Perhaps he was waiting for him to elaborate - or perhaps he was just silently watching, and judging.

A good twenty seconds after he started to look, Karif blinked.

About as long again, he blinked, again.

Visavis

Unread postby Visavis » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:05 am

"What? She isn't. I mean, like, she was totally weird in line when we asked if she wanted to sit with us," Panoram said defensively, with a glance toward Lucja, the true question asker.

"It was like she thought we were stupid or something."

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:56 am

"I don't...know about that." Lucja glances over towards Brigand, frowning a bit before she looks back to the table. "I mean...I don't know if she thought we were stupid or anything, she was just...kind of...angry? But she was pretty loud about not wanting to sit with us, Karif; how come you want to bring her over so bad? Maybe she just really doesn't want to?"

Visavis

Unread postby Visavis » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:32 am

"She said she didn't want to, remember? Or, like, she said she'd rather sit in a corner or something," Panoram shrugged. "I don't know what her problem is. She's just weird."

He glanced back down to his plate and prodded his meal with his fork. After a moment, he glanced up at Karif again.

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:39 pm

"I'm not weird! You're weird!" Brigand shouts from several tables away.

Oleai
Oh, Hi!

Unread postby Oleai » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:43 pm

Bluebird called over, "Just come and sit with us if you want to shout! Though we prefer you stop the shouting once you're here!"

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:43 pm

While Bluebird shouts across the room, Lucja stares over with amazement, just a bit agape. "How did she even do that? This room's so noisy! That's so cool." Speaking towards her with a grin, she decides to follow Bluebird's lead in idea, though with a more conversational volume. "Yeah, you should come over here! C'mon, it's tons better than eating alone!"

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:38 pm

Abrams:

The girl taps her cane on the floor a moment. "I thought we weren't supposed to tell you our names. But her codename is Charcoal, and mine's Argent, if that helps."

Everyone Else:

"I like shouting from over here!" Brigand shouts from over there.

"This's just gettin' silly." Longshot laments.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:13 am

With a snicker and an eyeroll, Lucja gets up from the table and heads across the room towards Brigand. "C'mon. You might as well be sitting with us anyway, huh?" And with that, she starts to pull Brigand's chair over back to their own table!

Visavis

Unread postby Visavis » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:07 am

Panoram, having initially turned his head to gape at Brigand, quickly found himself gaping at Lucja instead.

"What is she doing? Oh-ehm-gee."

He looked back toward the others, sighed, and facepalmed.

NebulaQueen

Unread postby NebulaQueen » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:06 pm

"You're right about the code names," she says, obviously proud that she's following protocol. "And speaking of code names, I think I recognize Charcoal - she's signed up for most of my classes, I do believe. Now, I don't know about you, but I'd like to get this mess straightened out before we start classes officially. You know, start off on the right foot, and all that. If not..."

She shrugs.

"Then I imagine it will be a pretty long semester."

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:15 pm

Everyone Else:

Brigand is dragged to the table as the WOrlds Grumpiest Elf (TM).

Longshot offers her a smile and a friendly wave. "'Ello."

Brigand's ears twitch annoyedly as she shoots a look at Longshot. "You talk even funnier than you dress." This, of course, leads Longshot to shut up, cross her arms defensively and turn a lovely shade of pink.

Abrams:

"Yooou do that." The girl says, beginning to hobble off in the other direction. "Just remember, she technically had nothing to do with it!"

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:15 am

With a quick trip back to grab Brigand's tray, Lucja settles back into her chair with a broad grin. It falls slightly with Brigand's snipe, and she clicks her tongue slightly to her, but tries to keep the mood light.

Getting back to her own breakfast, she tries to keep smiling towards Brigand. "So we're all talking a little about ourselves. What about you? Where're you from back home, Brigand?"

Talen Lee
Some Fuck

Unread postby Talen Lee » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:35 am

The yelling back and forth seemed to flow over the head of Karif, who simply kept his head down and continued eating his pedestrian and unwaffle-like bran.

Oleai
Oh, Hi!

Unread postby Oleai » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:03 pm

> Volume - 85%

Astella turns to Lucja, smiling. "Well, you already know what kind of person I am. For me, shouting is just a volume setting. It can go quite high if I want it to."

Their mission accomplished, Bluebird rests her elbow on the table. The empty spot in front of her, where food was supposed to be. Chin in her palm, she listens for Brigand's story.

> Supplementary information: Brigand
> Recording...

PreviousNext

Return to Other RPs