Changeling - Season's Greeting

For all RPs taking place in other settings.
Jak Snide

Re: Changeling - Season's Greeting

Unread postby Jak Snide » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:30 pm

Harry appeared in the doorway behind Max, glaring down at the mouthy teenager.

"These kids giving you trouble, pal?" he asked his fellow escapee in a slow monotone, not taking his eyes off the lead kid.

(Intimidate, augmenting whatever trauma Max wishes to inflict upon the children.)

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:42 pm

The others could hear the slight rustle of the wind through the woods, even though there were no trees nearby. They could almost smell the slightly mildewy smell of molding leaves, yes the only vegetation was a few neatly trimmed bushes in the plaza.

This was the power of the gentry, the fair folk. This was the invocation of a contract, the calling upon a service from the world at the price of... who knew? Max seemed to grow a little in their eyes, his human mien fading slightly to them and his... true appearance becoming more obvious...

Then it faded, and Max remained where he was, the three teenagers still staring at him... although the leading boy looking a little startled.

---

No matter how much TJ looked, he couldn't really spot something, until finally the voice spoke up again, seeming a bit troubled.

"Excuse me, I do not wish to imply anything, but you seem awfully... concentrated upon me, is there something wrong?"

And TJ could've sworn he saw a slight shift in the air around where a persons face would've been. The air seemed to grow just... a few shades darker.

"Do I have something on my face?"

ElComodoro
The Bard(With optional 1000 sands attachment)

Unread postby ElComodoro » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:41 pm

The effect was.... fantastic. Thrilling. Max stood bewildered, soaking up the after effects of the Wyrd calling. He was filled with an immense sort of pride- and a sense of familiarity. He'd done something like that before, but where? Right now it didn't make much of a difference, but Max was curious. He looked at the teen that was still standing in front of him, albeit uneasily...

Why was he still standing there? Was Max supposed to do something? He'd never gone far beyond the "gather information" step. He knew what frightened the kid, and at first that was all Max had thought he needed to diffuse the situation. Luckily, Harry came to his rescue, and prompted him into action.

"Do you think this one has any money?" Max said to Harry, "Enough to get some..." He racked his brain for the name of a drug. He was pretty sure the scientific name or the Arcadian name of any drug would not impress these three, "...pixie dust? Maybe a bottle of whiskey? I need a fix. Maybe we should just take one with us. See what we can get?"

(Intimidation, plus attempting to soak up any glamour that might be pried from their fear)

Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:57 pm

"Och." Mac said, hurrying over, and speaking in a harsh whisper. "Er we kaeld tray ta avayd drawen atensh'n tae oorsilvs."

She spoke up, looking to the boys. "Hoy, dunnae maeyn'd me frend 'ere. 'Ee's a bet seck 'n' th' 'ed. Bet ef aey were ye, ae'd geht maeyven alaeng nae."

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:02 am

"I dunno." Harry said, keeping his eyes fixed on the lead teenager as a lopsided grin spread across his face. "I want to see what our boy here does to them kids. Gonna be a real show, without all of his tools and a bath fulla ice. You should stick around."

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:30 pm

Ellie walked out from the back, seeing her companions scaring the bejesus out of the kids that had been watching them. Although she knew they were just trying to protect themselves and her, she felt very bad for the kids. The one kid looked like he was going to be sick. She leaned herself against the side of the door frame and said in a a sweet voice, "Hey, kids, run along before he tries to hurt you. I wouldn't want to see that happen..."

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:24 am

The three teenagers had all put on brave faces as Max pressed them, but when Harry showed up, leering, the two in the back paled significantly. The leader, who'd managed to stay put on the sole premisis of being the leader, seemed to sink into his own steel-toed boots as more and more weirdos showed up from inside the bakery. Mac's warning fell on deaf ears as the leader took a step backwards, then another, mouthing something like 'afhgfrtff...ghng...' before half-running away, his two cronies quickly behind... The fear of the three seemed almost palpable, and Max could even taste it, it was thick enough to run his fingers through... it tasted of sour sweat, cold trickles down your back and the feeling of air running through the hairs on your neck.

It wasn't an entirely pleasant taste.

For what it was worth, the kids didn't seem to cause much noise as they ran away, but one could never be too sure that they, when calm enough, would make sure to get their revenge on the changelings.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:17 am

His awe no lessened by the departure of the children, Sorter steps forward along the wall to Max, still staying within the shadows as best he can. "...That was like them," he says, though is tone holds not fear, but amazement. With this display, he can't help but view Max in a new light; this is a far more subtle, and far more interesting sort of power than the kind Harry's put overon them these last days. He makes no secret of this view, his curiosity far overpowering his paranoia, and for the first time since they've arrived, he doesn't seem to even notice the Ogre's imposing form. "How did you know to do that? Did your keeper teach you? What...what was it?"

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:06 pm

Harry eyed Max with a newfround distrust now. He'd never seen much of his own master but the hatred and fear was ingrained. He wasn't sure he liked him any more.

"Enough yapping," he commanded, "grab some grub already. We ain't got time for this."

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:36 pm

Mac, on the other hand, looked pissed.

"Wot. Th' feck. Es wring. Weth ell ef yer? Dae ye WENT tae breng es ettenshun? Ye TRY'N tae make 'em tell pepple 'baet es? Ezzat eht?"

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:35 pm

"What do yous want, us to play nice with a buncha punk kids? I've done enough bowing and scraping for one lifetime." He jabbed a finger at Mac. "So yous can shut your mouth, lady."

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:42 pm

"Lemme pet thes semple faer ye." Mac says, raising her fingers as if she's about to snap. "We git irrist'd. Ye gae tae pris'n faer braek'n 'n 'n't'r'n. Then y'r raeyt beck tae "Baew'n 'n' scrapin'."

She narrows her eyes. "Whin thaeyr sex'n ye. In th' butt."

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:51 pm

Harry snarled at the girl. Was she insinuating something? "Sure they'd treat yous real tender too." He muttered. "Anyways, quit your yapping and grab something so we can scarper."

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:18 am

Not wishing to get in the middle of this particular argument, Sorter keeps quiet. Grabbing what he can, he gets ready to run with the others as soon as they can leave.

ElComodoro

Unread postby ElComodoro » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:16 pm

Max was exceedingly pleased with himself. The glamour may not have tasted good, but it was empowering. For the first time since his arrival, his face split into a satisfied smile. He turned around to his companions... and noticed the looks on their faces. His satisfaction melted away. At first he was confused. Had something happened that he didn't know of? Had he done something wrong?

It took him only a moment to figure it out. These people were like him. Like him they had escaped from fey masters. But unlike him, they hadn't spent years reading and learning and researching. Of course they would distrust the power the others used. Stupid stupid stupid Max! You need to think these things through! You know how dangerous this stuff can be! he thought bitterly to himself.

Shrinking back from them, Max looked as if he was trying to disappear. His eyes darted around, searching for an escape route or place to hide. Everything was getting so loud and complicated. He felt the sudden urge to put out the lights and curl into a ball. "I...uh... I read about it. My master had deals with all kinds of things, and I have the right to invoke those deals sometimes. Its how I survived there. I... I think its how I escaped," he whispered to Sorter- the only one that seemed undisturbed- while the Harry and Mac argued.

Max's hunger suddenly made a grand reappearance. He looked into the bakery and let loose a short sigh, then stepped inside- as much to get away from the others suspicious looks as to retrieve food. His trap concerns were completely forgotten.

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:45 pm

Whilst a conflict brewed up amongst the changelings, Sorter moved into the bakery, only to find another door labelled 'Staff Exit' at the back of the kitchen-area. Other than that, there's bread stolen, disputes settled and a general agreement to moving on.

It would seem, however, that only one key-objective of the trip, procuring food, had been achieved. The second, finding something to wear, had not yet been solved. And despite some of the changelings looking completely rad in a trench-coat mafia kind of way... some wore much less than that.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:58 pm

Letting the other refugees debate the issue of clothing for now, Sorter stays a bit away from the main group, more interested in talking to Max for the moment.

He keeps his voice low as he speaks, so as to not interrupt the others, and pulls a ball of yarn from his pocket, fiddling with it nervously. "...Those things...how did you learn about them? You said your master had deals...what does that mean? What are they? How do they work?"

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:29 pm

Ellie finished off what she could stuff down her throat, thinking about what Max had done. "So... can we all do this?" she wondered aloud. She thought about the wondrous things she had seen and remembered her captive do, and imagined herself waving her hand and having a patch of flowers spring up, or twirl her fingers and have music begin to play, the most beautiful sounds that had ever caressed her ears. The idea was wonderful, and it gave her hope that she might be able to stop any pursuers that might be trying to get her back.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:48 pm

Harry's coat was filled with food now, as opposed to his face. Now he needed more clothes. Pants were good, but he needed shoes. A shirt would be nice too.

He ignored the chattering of the others. Talking about nothing worth hearing. Instead he looked around for a clothing store to knock over.
Last edited by Jak Snide on Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:47 pm

After a moment, thinking of nothing, he just shook his head. He debated for a moment... and then turned back to the stage. Whatever it was, it hadn't hurt him. Didn't seem like it was going to do so. So... he was fine. He would sit and wait. Not for anything in particular, just waiting.

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:03 pm

Ellie ate her fill, and since she was done grabbing food, she decided that the next thing she needed was some decent clothing. She wandered out of the shop to go look for some clothing. And maybe a bag, to put some more food in. She looked over at Sorter and asked, "Hey, Sorter, we're definitely going to need better clothing. Help me break into a clothing store."

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:29 am

Sorter jumps slightly at the sudden mention of his name - he's far from used to being noticed, let alone specifically called for. His head turning between Ellie and Max, he pockets his yarn, speaking in unsteady tones. "...where do you need me? Where is it?"

ElComodoro

Unread postby ElComodoro » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:19 am

Max moved around the bakery sporadically, abandoning crusts of half-eaten baguettes for selections of sweets, only to glide back to stale loaves of Italian bread, seemingly on a whim. He was nervous and uncomfortable, the earlier confidence of going out and earning freedom having evaporated under the harsh glare of the real world. A not-insignificant part of him was beginning to panic.

Max answered Sorter's questions by opening and closing his mouth several times, looking comically like a drowning fish. His master? Why did this one want to know about his master? How do contracts work? Can all of them do these things? Who had the right and who did not? No no no no, this was too much. Max just wanted a quiet place to get his thoughts in order, and for these people's looks and questions to go away. His head darted around, looking for a way to escape, a place to run and hide. Adrenaline started pumping through his veins as his panic began mounting. Out out he needed to get out! The others had become leering caricatures, torments heaped on an already strained mind. All the while, a small voice was yelling Wait! These are your friends. You need them. Calm down!

The man standing before him was momentarily distracted by one of the others. Here was his chance! Max began inching slowly backwards, still looking for an escape route. Ah Ha! The kitchen! Surely there was another exit there! He inched, ever so slowly, towards the kitchen entrance, his eyes fixed on whoever happened to be closest.

The small voice chose this moment to make its comeback. Max stopped, rooted to the spot as he debated inwardly with himself. You are stronger than this. You know the answers to their questions. You just need to think. Calm down, explain what happened and everything will be fine. The world may have changed but so have you. You've survived scarier things. Relax. The internal voice made sense, but the panic was a bit more..... immediate. Max struggled between his intellect and his instincts. His intellect began to win, but panic does not let us go so easily. With no recourse left, the adrenaline took the only avenue out it could find.

"Eeeeppp!"

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:52 pm

Finding somewhere to get clothes wasn't difficult, on the other side of the plaza, in fact, right behind the bakery they were in, was a small outlet store, although Ellie, Harry and Sorter would find that the security here was significantly more modern than at the bakery. It'd seem as if a passcode would be needed to be entered once the door was unlocked, or an alarm would trigger in just a few seconds...

Sorter could still try it, obviously, but without the tools, not to mention nothing to work the keypad with, it seemed this way into the store was barred.

---

As for TJ, the disembodied voice grew quiet as he did, and the color in the air faded slightly. He couldn't sense the presence in any way, it might as well have disappeared...

then it spoke.

"It's not really my place, but you don't seem like you want any trouble. There is a group of children who practice here once a week, in about half an hour."

"I... just felt you should know."

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:25 am

"...I don't know if this'll be as easy."

Surprised by Max's...strange reaction, Sorter was glad to give him some space for now, following behind Ellie and Harry until they reached the clothing shop. Peeking through the window, it doesn't take him long to spot the security box. He knows it. He doesn't remember why he knows it, but that's not important right now.

"The lock...not too hard. But that box...if you don't tell it the right number after you open the door, it calls for others. People that take others away." He looks between Harry and Ellie, tools held in a shaky hand. "What should be done?"

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:39 pm

Harry didn't like the look of that box. He'd seen similar before, but this was different. Sleeker. Smaller. It didn't seem right. Like someone had taken a good bit of human ingenuity and twisted it to their liking. He ground his teeth and fought back the urge to smash it.

"Dunno. Yous think there's vents between the bakery and here?"

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:09 am

Sorter glances back to the bakery, wringing his hands, his confidence attacked by Harry's reaction. Why didn't he think of that? So focused on the obstacle...

"...maybe. It'll be checked." Pushing past Harry with his head bowed, Sorter heads back to the bakery, looking for any signs of vents connecting the two buildings that one of them could slip through.

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:04 am

"Even if there was," Mac begins, "It'll be too tight to fit, unless the one who goes is small as hell."

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:17 pm

Sorter does indeed find a ventilation shaft, although he finds that the shaft is closed with fairly tight gratings, 'though it seems one can unscrew the hatch on the outside... the shaft is about 1,25 by 1,25 feet, which might be enough for someone, especially someone as small as Mac, to crawl through.

Then again, there's also the personnel-only exit at the back of the store, 'though it too seems to be locked... although Sorter can't spot any of those advanced locks on it.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:26 pm

Sorter emerges from the bakery, and gives the clothing shop a quick once-over, noticing the personnel exit in the process.

"...there's a small vent. Mac could fit in it maybe, but maybe not. And there's another door in the back, it looks easier to pick, but there might be hidden traps like that box."

After giving his information, he falls quiet; it's not up to him to decide the course of action from here.

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:37 pm

TJ nodded at the voice's words. He tried to reply in kind, but only more of those half strangled, muddled sounds came out. He gave up after a moment and gently placed his hands about where he thought a human shoulder might be. Hopefully the idea of gratitude would come across. Maybe not. Either way, he stood up shortly after and made his way out. Back to the shed, then.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:45 pm

Harry nodded. Sorter sounded like he had the right idea.

"Alright girlie, get to it."

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:00 pm

"W-what?" Mac stammered. "N-no, I'm not doing that!"

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:20 pm

"Sure yous are. You want some threads, don't yous? Yous were just talkin' about how not to cause a scene, yeah? Vents it is then."

Harry grinned luridly, disproportionately amused by this turn of events.

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:21 am

Ellie looked at the ventilation shaft and mused out loud, "So, are you going to be able to get us in after you go through, or are we going to have to tell you what we want?" Previously, Ellie had been peeking in through the windows of the store and had her heart set on a certain top. She was also a little bit afraid of Mac's fashion sensibilities and didn't want to be stuck wearing awful looking clothing. She figured if they were going through the trouble of stealing clothing, it might as well be good clothing.

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:09 am

"I said," Mac says, beginning to get upset, "I'm NOT going!"

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:13 am

Sorter cringes as Harry pressures Mac, drifting along the edge of the group and towards the other door into the clothing shop. "There's...if Mackenzy doesn't want to...the other door in back, I can open it instead. She doesn't have to go through." He starts work on it before anyone can tell him otherwise, just to keep the growing scene from reaching the level of a shouting match.

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:42 am

As the party discusses things, Sorter takes the matter into his own hands and hurries over to the door, finding it a somewhat easy pick. It does take him a while to get the door open, he hardly has the proper materials after all, but after some fiddling there's a click, and the heavy door opens with a squeaking noise. Inside is what looks like a service corridor, sterile-looking and smelling faintly of old garbage, with several more doors, similar to this one, protected either by one of those devices, or by a simple lock and key.

There doesn't seem to be anything indicating which door belongs to which store, although there's a number at the top left corner of each, corresponding to the street-adresses, so it's not difficult to figure out which door belongs to the outlet.

Unfortunately... this door, too, has one of these devices, although it's within Sorter's reach... and doesn't look to be that advanced.

---

TJ could hear the voice saying "I would enjoy talking to you again" in a kind of... desperate tone as he dashed off back to the shed, and true to what the spirit had said, as he left through a back-door he could hear the voices of teenagers approaching the main entrance to the school, talking and laughing with each other. There was an adult with them as well, it was easy to tell by the calm, baritone voice that occasionally spoke out in a reprimanding tone.

The shed remained just that, a shed, and there had been no one to it while he had been gone, so now it was only a matter of waiting for the rest to arrive.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:15 pm

Sorter darts into the service hallway before listening to the protests of the others. Spying the security box on the outside of the clothing shop's door, he decides rather than risk another fight amongst the others, he'll just open it up now. It...shouldn't be that hard. It's just another kind of lock...he's certain. And then they can take the clothing and leave and this will be over. Best solution!

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:36 pm

Sorter fiddles with the dial, turns the knob, presses the buttons and... presto. Without much ado, there's a beep, a green light and a click from the door as it unlocks. It seems to lock itself when it closes though, not to mention you have to enter the code again to get out... but thankfully for Sorter, there's an identical panel on the other side of the door, which should make leaving a cakewalk...

PreviousNext

Return to Other RPs