Dark Heresy -- Purge the Xenos

For all RPs taking place in other settings.
InquisitorChris

Re: Dark Heresy -- Purge the Xenos

Unread postby InquisitorChris » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:01 pm

helvorn wrote:In addition to the general stuff Kara will look for details of the practice of the religion on Famine (beliefs, liturgy, holy days, differences from the 'standard' beliefs), any background on the Saint that they venerate (i.e. where did she come from, why was she sent there, what faction she might have followed in the church), anything odd about any of the regiments sent off world or any other parts of their tithes and any copies of literature or such produced on Famine that might be read on the trip.

She will also browse through the stacks looking for references to statues, spheres or knives like we were shown.

That's a lot of stuff to look for in just a few hours. You want to narrow it down to one or the other? (The first will be a lot easier, since Lives of Saints aren't exactly hard to come by in the Imperium.)

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:44 pm

Jim gave himself a quick primer on famine before moving on to researching the criminal records for the planet. He wanted to get a sense of these people and the lawkeeping they'd been subjected to.

helvorn

Unread postby helvorn » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:58 pm

InquisitorChris wrote:
helvorn wrote:In addition to the general stuff Kara will look for details of the practice of the religion on Famine (beliefs, liturgy, holy days, differences from the 'standard' beliefs), any background on the Saint that they venerate (i.e. where did she come from, why was she sent there, what faction she might have followed in the church), anything odd about any of the regiments sent off world or any other parts of their tithes and any copies of literature or such produced on Famine that might be read on the trip.

She will also browse through the stacks looking for references to statues, spheres or knives like we were shown.

That's a lot of stuff to look for in just a few hours. You want to narrow it down to one or the other? (The first will be a lot easier, since Lives of Saints aren't exactly hard to come by in the Imperium.)

If we had our cleric with which to split the research task she'd take the latter. But, she's stubborn so... I'll stick with figuring out the artifacts.

gsteelwraith

Unread postby gsteelwraith » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:00 pm

OOC: I am back, and I apologize for my absences of late. A perfect storm of computer issues and the timing of ORIGINS (I was running an event at the con for four days) kinda killed my chances of posting on anything like a routine basis. If you guys would rather recruit another player in my place, simply say so, and I will understand. The team needs a Prime whom leads and not vanishing on a regular basis.

helvorn

Unread postby helvorn » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:10 pm

gsteelwraith wrote:OOC: I am back, and I apologize for my absences of late. A perfect storm of computer issues and the timing of ORIGINS (I was running an event at the con for four days) kinda killed my chances of posting on anything like a routine basis. If you guys would rather recruit another player in my place, simply say so, and I will understand. The team needs a Prime whom leads and not vanishing on a regular basis.

We'll just scourge the heresy from you and let you back into the fold :)

InquisitorChris

Unread postby InquisitorChris » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:39 pm

gsteelwraith wrote:OOC: I am back, and I apologize for my absences of late. A perfect storm of computer issues and the timing of ORIGINS (I was running an event at the con for four days) kinda killed my chances of posting on anything like a routine basis. If you guys would rather recruit another player in my place, simply say so, and I will understand. The team needs a Prime whom leads and not vanishing on a regular basis.

Not at all. If it's just a temporary issue, that's no problem. So what dos the Prime do? :)

gsteelwraith

Unread postby gsteelwraith » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:24 pm

The Prime is going to back-up Kara's efforts to gather information. He's a scholar, so that's his strong suit.

As far as the pilgrim issue is concerned, if those whom aren't thrilled with the plan have an alternative, please table it. If you've got a better idea, I want to hear it. What's important here is that we have a believable cover story to explain our presence in places normal citizens fear to tread (OOC: Character-wise. Really the important thing is everybody have fun and feels their input is meaningful and is being taken into account).

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:14 pm

(Huw's made his case for posing as employees of a trader on pages 3 and 4.)

gsteelwraith

Unread postby gsteelwraith » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:23 pm

"Huw's got a point, My Lord," Brother Leveticus will say to the Inquisitor when time and oppourtunity permits. "Posing as members of a trading company might not be a bad idea. We'll draw less attention from the local Ecclesiarchy, and the local...erm, ne'er-do-wells, will be less likely to spot us as marks that tourists would be. How hard would it be to produce documents and seals for a trading company?"

InquisitorChris

Unread postby InquisitorChris » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:13 pm

Sorry guys, we had the Problem of the Vanishing Cleric and now we have the Problem of the Overworked Game Master Who Is Up at 3 am Working. We will be getting this going tomorrow, I swear.

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:03 am

[OOC - No worries here, I got what I needed... And I assume I'm not going to have a problem putting makeup on, or do I need a skill for that?]

InquisitorChris

Unread postby InquisitorChris » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:31 pm

OOC: I'm basically translating a book in addition to my main job, hence the delay.

Jim doesn't find anything on crime per se in the library, but there is a little on it in the file Sholmes prepared for you. Being off the beaten track, Famine doesn't have much interaction with the sector's wider criminal world beyond the obscura trade. However, the place seems pretty corrupt (not by Scintilla standards though) and a lot of the economy seems to be somewhat criminalized.

Those researching religion find occasional references. Sholmes' library contains a few Lives of the Saints that mention Altheria as a "possible saint for canonization in the wider sector" and gice some highly vague details about her life -- she was (or wasn't) an imperial missionary, did (or did not) meet St. Drusus on several occasions, and was (or was not) devoured.

Stuck away in a back corner you find an old data slate containing a short treatise by a Magus Biologis by the name of Elias Marthor who visited Famine some 300 years ago to catalogue the few indigenous life forms. It's mostly a listing of grubs and fishworms, but it also contains some speculation based on Famine folklore that there may be more, as yet unknown, xenos life forms on the planet. Marthor's reasoning gets a little lopy near the end though.

I am now going to propel you through time 2 weeks so that I can get you to the planet. That good with you? Anything you want to do on the Rogue Trader, if anything, I'll just abstract.

Sholmes can come up with any cover documentation within reason. Just tell him what you need.

I also need to know who on Famine will be informed of your arrival. Advance warning would be nice so that they can set up accomodations for you.

gsteelwraith

Unread postby gsteelwraith » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:23 pm

OOC: I think we need to come to a group consensus here. I may be playing the Prime here, but we need to decide as a group how we wish to proceed. Do we travel as a group of pilgrims on a tour, or do we pass ourselves off as traders? For some of our characters (and players), one is easier and more fun than the other. Either will work, and both have their bennies and pitfalls. Huw's player has made several good points, and if others have stated opinions I haven't found them (mainly because the off-panel discussion link was lost when my computer decided to commit suicide). We need to have a concrete plan, and a solid cover in place before we put boots on the ground on Famine.

helvorn

Unread postby helvorn » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:08 pm

InquisitorChris wrote:Stuck away in a back corner you find an old data slate containing a short treatise by a Magus Biologis by the name of Elias Marthor who visited Famine some 300 years ago to catalogue the few indigenous life forms. It's mostly a listing of grubs and fishworms, but it also contains some speculation based on Famine folklore that there may be more, as yet unknown, xenos life forms on the planet. Marthor's reasoning gets a little lopy near the end though.

I am now going to propel you through time 2 weeks so that I can get you to the planet. That good with you? Anything you want to do on the Rogue Trader, if anything, I'll just abstract.

Sholmes can come up with any cover documentation within reason. Just tell him what you need.

I also need to know who on Famine will be informed of your arrival. Advance warning would be nice so that they can set up accommodations for you.

<ooc> Kara will still press for the 'pilgrim' cover story but the decision is for the prime to make. Either way she would suggest contacting the Arbites and the religious hierarchy but not the local government. If there is a lot of corruption there are far likely to be holes in the local government than the other two organizations.

Did Kara find anything out on the artifacts? She was going to let Leveticus dig into the religious background while she stuck to the creepy toys.

During the voyage she'll see about procuring flak armor if it is available. If they use the merchant cover she'll look up whatever she can on the merchant houses of the area, especially grain or food merchants. That assumes she can use the libraries aboard the ship. Otherwise she'll avoid contact with the crew and stick with her team as much as possible.

helvorn

Unread postby helvorn » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:19 pm

gsteelwraith wrote:OOC: I think we need to come to a group consensus here. I may be playing the Prime here, but we need to decide as a group how we wish to proceed. Do we travel as a group of pilgrims on a tour, or do we pass ourselves off as traders? For some of our characters (and players), one is easier and more fun than the other. Either will work, and both have their bennies and pitfalls. Huw's player has made several good points, and if others have stated opinions I haven't found them (mainly because the off-panel discussion link was lost when my computer decided to commit suicide). We need to have a concrete plan, and a solid cover in place before we put boots on the ground on Famine.

Kara's arguments against posing as merchants are a) none of them are merchants and would potentially have a hard time pulling off an act b) the planet doesn't export grain or get merchant traffic so they would stand out oddly c) merchants would be focused on grain and not poking around asking questions about weird goings on d) if they do travel around on the planet if they go places that are not connected to grain and such it will look odd e) if they do go as merchants who will be the 'leader'?

Her arguments for being pilgrims are a) they have a cleric in the group so acting as pilgrims would be very easy b) pilgrims are expected to poke around and ask odd questions c) they could easily cover traveling about the planet by saying they are following the saint's footsteps or such d) as pilgrims they can naturally keep Leveticus as the obvious prime.

Now if they do go as merchants she'll suggest that they pose as scouts and low level functionaries rather than the deal maker types. It'll be easier posing as flunkies than the rich bosses.

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:55 pm

(Yeah, Huw specifically said to pose as fact finders and investigators in the employ of traders, not as actual higher ups.)

(Edit: Should I assume Huw was able to find the things on his shopping list?)

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:22 pm

(Chani is, I'm afraid, neutral on what they travel as. She will go with what the prime decides, irregardless of whether he decides on his own or with the others.)

InquisitorChris

Unread postby InquisitorChris » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:25 pm

gsteelwraith wrote:OOC: I think we need to come to a group consensus here. I may be playing the Prime here, but we need to decide as a group how we wish to proceed. Do we travel as a group of pilgrims on a tour, or do we pass ourselves off as traders? For some of our characters (and players), one is easier and more fun than the other. Either will work, and both have their bennies and pitfalls. Huw's player has made several good points, and if others have stated opinions I haven't found them (mainly because the off-panel discussion link was lost when my computer decided to commit suicide). We need to have a concrete plan, and a solid cover in place before we put boots on the ground on Famine.

Your job, as Prime, is to calmly weigh the arguments made by the members of your cell, pray to the God-Emperor for guidance, and then put your foot down.

InquisitorChris

Unread postby InquisitorChris » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:29 pm

helvorn wrote:<ooc> Kara will still press for the 'pilgrim' cover story but the decision is for the prime to make. Either way she would suggest contacting the Arbites and the religious hierarchy but not the local government. If there is a lot of corruption there are far likely to be holes in the local government than the other two organizations.

Did Kara find anything out on the artifacts? She was going to let Leveticus dig into the religious background while she stuck to the creepy toys.

Nope, just the Marthor stuff. Famine's not a big site for archaeological finds.

InquisitorChris

Unread postby InquisitorChris » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:30 pm

Capntastic wrote:(Yeah, Huw specifically said to pose as fact finders and investigators in the employ of traders, not as actual higher ups.)

(Edit: Should I assume Huw was able to find the things on his shopping list?)

Clay and tack? Yes! I'll deduct a couple of Thrones.

EDIT: Famine DOES export grain, just not on the level of an agri-world or enough to really matter. It's more of a token "we're doing our bit for the sector" thing.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:36 pm

Jim weighed in on the matter of their cover once again. Agents of a mercantile operation would have far more leeway in poking their noses into matters than pilgrims; they had superiors who wanted answers whereas pilgrims were, in his words, "religious tourists." Pilgrims would be looked at oddly anywhere besides religious sites and certainly wouldn't be expected to ask bothersome questions. People who did tended to end up shanked and dead in a gutter in his experience. Nobody would miss a pilgrim. The looming presence of a mercantile guild would have more chance of deterring people from knifing them than some brown robes would. It'd also give them the pretence to be well equipped as opposed to wilfully impoverished people who had forsaken their former lives. He also argued against keeping Leveticus as the obvious leader. Broadcasting his role so clearly was asking for trouble if things went pear shaped. Far easier for Huw to act as a face, the man being the only one who seemed to have experience with society outside of a branch of the Adeptus Terra, and have Leveticus give accompany him as a religious advisor or personal confessor. Having him in such a role would also allow them to investigate religious locations without raising suspicion. A mercantile agent could be faithful while a pilgrim could not be a mercantile agent. As for the limited grain export of Famine, that was easy enough to accommodate. Their fabricated masters wanted to break into the grain import industry but found the competition to be too stiff on fully fledged agri-worlds. Being new to the industry would also explain their lack of expertise when it came to the finer points of grain.

His argument was not entirely composed of logical points. His irritation with Kara surfaced a few times as his temper neared its boiling point; he questioned her both her mental capabilities and stability, along with her origins. "Perhaps you've had too many knocks to the head or been stuck in a cell too long, but you haven't got the slightest idea about how people actually function, do you?" If reprimanded he would be apologetic but insist that his argument stood; posing as pilgrims would only impair their ability to investigate and complete their given task.

Jim would spend the majority of time on their voyage getting to know his fellow acolytes. Reconciling himself with Kara was unlikely but, after a few days of cooling off, he'd make the effort. He'd also prompt the group to discuss their exact roles and false identities, whatever their cover turned out to be.

InquisitorChris

Unread postby InquisitorChris » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:45 pm

Sholmes mildly suggests out that it is a bad idea to antagonize warp-spawned psykers, even sanctioned ones.

He also suggests that a problem with posing as rich merchants (or their underlings) is that you are not rich and, as the warp-spawned psyker mentioned, none of you have experience with things mercantile (i.e., Trade (Merchant)), so you would likely have a hard time fooling anybody who knew what he was talking about.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:52 pm

Jim responded that they needn't be swimming in wealth. Enough to do their job but far from the extravagant sums he'd seen the nobility of Sinophia waste. Being able to justify any funds they possessed would also help maintain their cover. He also raised the question of what sort of resources they'd be given to accomplish this task. Any implication that he desired funds for his own selfish ends would be met with him politely stating that such was not his intent while trying to conceal his anger at the insult that had been paid to him.

InquisitorChris

Unread postby InquisitorChris » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:55 pm

Jak Snide wrote:Jim responded that they needn't be swimming in wealth. Enough to do their job but far from the extravagant sums he'd seen the nobility of Sinophia waste. Being able to justify any funds they possessed would also help maintain their cover. He also raised the question of what sort of resources they'd be given to accomplish this task. Any implication that he desired funds for his own selfish ends would be met with him politely stating that such was not his intent while trying to conceal his anger at the insult that had been paid to him.

OOC: Note that I edited my previous comment.

Sholmes says that you will be able to requisition equipment and currency from whoever on Famine is informed of your presence, but does not know if you can count on regular regal business dinners and fur-lined holo glitter cloaks as being within their financial means.

"Perhaps you could pose as merchants of a less legal, and less ostentatious, sort," he suggests idly. "The sort who wouldn't want to attract the attention of the Arbites, say."

"Though this might pose a problem with locating living quarters and requisitioning material."

gsteelwraith

Unread postby gsteelwraith » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:01 pm

Brother Leveticus will point up, "If we pose as the less than savory sort of merchants, we will be unable to call upon the Arbites or the local Church for support. If we're seen in the company of Arbites, we would be seen as 'weasals' by the local underworld. They would niether trust us nor deal with us. While I appreciate the idea of operating as merchants, can any of us here convincingly pass ourselves off as such? We could in theory claim to be agents of a Rogue Trader, in which case all bets are off."

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:29 pm

Huw began to chafe a bit as his plan became misinterpreted looser and looser.

"I dunno where you're getting all these ideas of posing as anyone fancy. No one ever suggested posing as merchants themselves or anyone of great personal wealth. I specifically put forth that we act as investigators in the employ of a trading company. Hired guns and eyes to assess a situation. In no way would we be required to... negotiate arrangements or even meet with any higher ups. We'd most likely fly under the radar of any movers and shakers, unless we sought 'em out specifically. It puts us in an ideal position to be toting guns and being ready to peer down any dark corridors we find. I mean, thinking realistically, we'd essentially be acting as just what we are- hired guns and eyes to assess a situation."

InquisitorChris

Unread postby InquisitorChris » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:01 pm

gsteelwraith wrote:Brother Leveticus will point up, "If we pose as the less than savory sort of merchants, we will be unable to call upon the Arbites or the local Church for support. If we're seen in the company of Arbites, we would be seen as 'weasals' by the local underworld. They would niether trust us nor deal with us. While I appreciate the idea of operating as merchants, can any of us here convincingly pass ourselves off as such? We could in theory claim to be agents of a Rogue Trader, in which case all bets are off."

"You will be onboard a Rogue Trader ship. I suppose you could try to work out something with him, angry as he is about my obliging him to take this detour," says Sholmes, puffing on his pipe. "On the other hand, this is the Calixis Sector, not beyond Imperial borders, and so largely beyond a Rogue Trader's purvue." He puffs again. "On the other hand, you could try posing as his representatives trying to get something shipped off of Famine to the Kronus Expanse. Grain perhaps."

"That would be a very major thing for Famine, however, and might draw attention. Assuming you don't want to draw attention."

gsteelwraith

Unread postby gsteelwraith » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:56 pm

I dunno where you're getting all these ideas of posing as anyone fancy. No one ever suggested posing as merchants themselves or anyone of great personal wealth. I specifically put forth that we act as investigators in the employ of a trading company. Hired guns and eyes to assess a situation. In no way would we be required to... negotiate arrangements or even meet with any higher ups. We'd most likely fly under the radar of any movers and shakers, unless we sought 'em out specifically. It puts us in an ideal position to be toting guns and being ready to peer down any dark corridors we find. I mean, thinking realistically, we'd essentially be acting as just what we are- hired guns and eyes to assess a situation."

Leveticus nodded. "What you're suggesting is we're not merchants ourselves, but privately employed investigators, or scouts of said. In that capacity, we don't need to be so savy about merchant affairs, nor be so moneyed. Again, it could work, but it might leave us in a position where we might not be able to call upon the Arbites or the Church for back-up."

helvorn

Unread postby helvorn » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:31 am

Jak Snide wrote:His argument was not entirely composed of logical points. His irritation with Kara surfaced a few times as his temper neared its boiling point; he questioned her both her mental capabilities and stability, along with her origins. "Perhaps you've had too many knocks to the head or been stuck in a cell too long, but you haven't got the slightest idea about how people actually function, do you?" If reprimanded he would be apologetic but insist that his argument stood; posing as pilgrims would only impair their ability to investigate and complete their given task.

Jim would spend the majority of time on their voyage getting to know his fellow acolytes. Reconciling himself with Kara was unlikely but, after a few days of cooling off, he'd make the effort. He'd also prompt the group to discuss their exact roles and false identities, whatever their cover turned out to be.

Kara will maintain her composure during the discussions with the team however as Jim directs his comments at her stability and background she will rapidly lose much of the initial diffidence that she showed in her dealings with the others. She will be far more focused on the 'now' during the discussions but she still will not meet eyes with anyone to avoid appearing as a direct threat. Smiling prettily and showing charming dimples Kara will execute a graceful curtsy to Jim; "From the jungles of my homeworld to the spires of Holy Terra I've found that humans are distressingly consistent in their behaviors. You just have to understand their hungers and then feed them appropriately." Her smile turns feral; "Or bait a trap..."

During the voyage if Jim approaches her in a halfway friendly fashion Kara will respond in kind. It does seem that during the voyage in the Warp she is a bit preoccupied at times as if listening to a distance music or conversation but not enough that she cannot function.

OOC: I am enjoying the tension between Jim and Kara. It makes perfect sense and adds a good deal to the role play. In other 40K games people seem to blithely accept psykers as just another 'wizard' rather than potential conduits directly to the hell of the warp.

helvorn

Unread postby helvorn » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:41 am

InquisitorChris wrote:Sholmes mildly suggests out that it is a bad idea to antagonize warp-spawned psykers, even sanctioned ones.

Kara will smile sweetly...

helvorn

Unread postby helvorn » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:43 am

InquisitorChris wrote:
Sholmes says that you will be able to requisition equipment and currency from whoever on Famine is informed of your presence, but does not know if you can count on regular regal business dinners and fur-lined holo glitter cloaks as being within their financial means.

Kara will giggle quietly and glance over at Chani; "I guess I will have to cross that sequined ball gown off my list then."

helvorn

Unread postby helvorn » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:50 am

InquisitorChris wrote:"You will be onboard a Rogue Trader ship. I suppose you could try to work out something with him, angry as he is about my obliging him to take this detour," says Sholmes, puffing on his pipe. "On the other hand, this is the Calixis Sector, not beyond Imperial borders, and so largely beyond a Rogue Trader's purvue." He puffs again. "On the other hand, you could try posing as his representatives trying to get something shipped off of Famine to the Kronus Expanse. Grain perhaps."

"That would be a very major thing for Famine, however, and might draw attention. Assuming you don't want to draw attention."

"We should not rely on the good will of the Rogue Trader for our cover." She bowed to the Inquisitor; "We lack the effective means of persuasion of our Lord to ensure cooperation." Kara glances at Jim and Huw for a moment and then back at Leveticus; "While we might be able to cover our ignorance of merchant ways by posing as lower level hired guns if we are going to create a major stir planetside with talk of offworld export then we should stick to the pilgrim story. As isolated as this world sounds we will stand out enough as offworlders without making it worse by attracting the interest of the mighty."

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:36 am

"For once we agree," Jim glanced at Kara, "in part. Associating ourselves with a Rogue Trader would draw too much attention. We need to strike a balance between keeping low profile and not crippling ourselves by posing as impoverished travellers."

He clutched at his chin, considering his next words before speaking. "I don't know about the church," he gestured towards Leveticus, "but some Arbites aren't beyond associating with criminals. There's two ways to get information out of lowlifes and not hauling them in for interrogation gives you longer term source of here-say and chatter. Let the little ones go so you can catch the big ones." He shook his head, re-evaluating his line of thinking. "Inter-stellar criminals are a big deal though, no matter the nature of their crimes. If the precinct on Famine was seen to be associating with such it'd get people asking questions. Either we'd be weasels in a pretty big game or we'd mark the precinct as corrupt. Not an option, as you said, and we want that support."

"Might be that we should pose as mercantile agents who're posing as pilgrims to keep their purpose there on the down-low. Anyone who gets suspicious and digs about hits the second layer of cover and stops wondering before they figure out who we really are."

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:47 am

Chani returned Kara's smile and hummed, looking back and forth during the discussion.

"Jim's idea seems resonable enough for me, we pretend to be pretending to be there for religious reasons, which is a mask for our investigation into potential market shares. Masks upon masks, it is a clever method of acting, and one difficult, but rewarding, if the audience accepts it."

She shrugged a little, "I see no other alternative but that, or cleaving our troupe in twain, but I doubt the efficiency of something like that."

During the warp-trip, Chani would most often remain by herself, practicing with her blade or considering how to hide her harmless cultural uniqueness behind a layer of make-up without getting cake all over herself.

InquisitorChris

Unread postby InquisitorChris » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:05 am

Sholmes looks at Leveticus.

"I need a decision made. What cover documents need to be drawn up and who on Famine should I tell to prepare for your visit.

"Also, would you like them to meet you at the spaceport?"

helvorn

Unread postby helvorn » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:44 am

Jak Snide wrote:"For once we agree," Jim glanced at Kara, "in part. Associating ourselves with a Rogue Trader would draw too much attention. We need to strike a balance between keeping low profile and not crippling ourselves by posing as impoverished travellers."

He clutched at his chin, considering his next words before speaking. "I don't know about the church," he gestured towards Leveticus, "but some Arbites aren't beyond associating with criminals. There's two ways to get information out of lowlifes and not hauling them in for interrogation gives you longer term source of here-say and chatter. Let the little ones go so you can catch the big ones." He shook his head, re-evaluating his line of thinking. "Inter-stellar criminals are a big deal though, no matter the nature of their crimes. If the precinct on Famine was seen to be associating with such it'd get people asking questions. Either we'd be weasels in a pretty big game or we'd mark the precinct as corrupt. Not an option, as you said, and we want that support."

"Might be that we should pose as mercantile agents who're posing as pilgrims to keep their purpose there on the down-low. Anyone who gets suspicious and digs about hits the second layer of cover and stops wondering before they figure out who we really are."

Kara favors Jim with a winning smile at his comment. While she listens to him she is quietly humming her litanies of protection. When he finishes she speaks up; "I suggest that we contact the Arbites at the very minimum. It was an Arbites agent who first discovered the items and we are told that the Arbites continue to keep the owner of the antiquities store under surveillance. We will need the aid of the Arbites to pick up the threads of the investigation when we arrive. Also, if we blunder into the midst of the Arbites investigation without informing them we would risk being picked up for heretics ourselves." A shadow passes over Kara's face; "I for one would not like to spend time in the hands of the Arbites again; they have a tendency to deal rather summarily with those of my ilk even with the Emperor's sanction."

"As for the Church," here she nods to Leveticus, "I have little input as to how quietly they would keep our mission. That would be for our Prime to judge."

helvorn

Unread postby helvorn » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:47 am

Kara gazes steadily at Leveticus waiting for his decision. "We may want a low key meeting at the port to avoid any obvious blunders. Certainly we would want a briefing from the local Arbites as soon as possible and to draw equipment and funds as needed."

gsteelwraith

Unread postby gsteelwraith » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:05 pm

"Contacting the Arbites would be a prudent move," Leveticus will agree. "As isolated as the Church is in on Famine, I'm not so certain contact with them would prove so beneficial. The arrival of outworlders may cause something of a stir, and I'd rather not do that until we must. The idea of playing the double mask could work, it'll confuse anybody whom might be watching the spaceport, the lowlifes will simply assume we're grifters working some scam, and the Church will deem us as being as legitimate as we chose to make ourselves. If everybody is agreeable to the plan let's go with it."

helvorn

Unread postby helvorn » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:39 pm

Kara listened to Leveticus 'split the baby' so to speak with a compromise solution. "When stalking dangerous creatures the simpler plans tend to leave fewer dead and maimed hunters in their wake." She chuckled a bit morbidly; "Still, the confusion associated with two cover stories may serve to cover any confusion or mistakes we make trying to maintain both simultaneously. So, Emperor willing we may manage after all."

She looked to Leveticus; "I am in agreement; pilgrims first who may be concealing a mission to scout out trade opportunities. Still, I would de-emphasize the merchant aspect."

InquisitorChris

Unread postby InquisitorChris » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:51 pm

"What documents should I prepare, and who on Famine should I contact?" Shomes asks.

PreviousNext

Return to Other RPs