Dark Heresy -- Purge the Xenos

For all RPs taking place in other settings.
InquisitorChris

Re: Dark Heresy -- Purge the Xenos

Unread postby InquisitorChris » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:13 pm

helvorn wrote:Kara asks; "How long will the voyage to Famine last Lord?"

He shrugs. "It's the Warp. Maybe a hundred years."

"More likely a couple of weeks."

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:08 pm

"Not everything goes as planned. It'd be nice to have an explanation if you start speaking in tongues or turning men into toads." Jim shook his head. "And why would pilgrims go to some boondock planet where the local saint was dinner for a bunch of hungry primitives? That doesn't sit right." He glanced at Leveticus, looking for support. "Traders out to buy some grain makes sense. Keep it simple." His irritation with the wytch was becoming increasingly evident.

InquisitorChris

Unread postby InquisitorChris » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:34 pm

Jak Snide wrote:"Not everything goes as planned. It'd be nice to have an explanation if you start speaking in tongues or turning men into toads." Jim shook his head. "And why would pilgrims go to some boondock planet where the local saint was dinner for a bunch of hungry primitives? That doesn't sit right." He glanced at Leveticus, looking for support. "Traders out to buy some grain makes sense. Keep it simple." His irritation with the wytch was becoming increasingly evident.

Sholmes interrupts. "You are too quick to judge the forms faith may take, my closet Redemptionist. There are many in the Imperium who would look at Altheria's supposed deed as a true act of selflessness, an act of sublime self-martyrdom. There have indeed been pilgrimages made to Famine in the past. Given that the Famine Ecclesiarchy has been trying for centuries to get Altheria recognized in the wider sector, the locals would no doubt be flattered."

"The ways of the God-Emperor are manifold. The local tale may, in fact, be true. In which case your scoffing would be misplaced."

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:55 pm

"True, yeah, but... why would pilgrims be toting guns and investigating possible warp problems? And if Emperor forbid, some cultists catch wind of a group of supposed pilgrims pokin' around, who do you think's gonna be first strapped to the altar? Going in as some inspection squad.... well, we won't be on anyone's map."

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:13 pm

Jim swallowed his pride in short order. He could argue against the babblings of a psyker. The word of an Inquisitor was beyond reproach. He nodded his head subserviently before speaking again.

"My apologies, lord, but I still think posing as pilgrims is a bad idea. There's just too many complications." He'd thank the new arrival later he told himself, suddenly conscious of the fact that they'd all need to work together in the weeks ahead. That included Kara, psyker or not. He'd need to smooth things over with her at some point.

InquisitorChris

Unread postby InquisitorChris » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:40 pm

Jak Snide wrote:Jim swallowed his pride in short order. He could argue against the babblings of a psyker. The word of an Inquisitor was beyond reproach. He nodded his head subserviently before speaking again.

"My apologies, lord, but I still think posing as pilgrims is a bad idea. There's just too many complications." He'd thank the new arrival later he told himself, suddenly conscious of the fact that they'd all need to work together in the weeks ahead. That included Kara, psyker or not. He'd need to smooth things over with her at some point.

"It is your choice. I was mainly taking issue with your narrow-minded theology."

"I need to acquire any necessary papers. So please inform me of two things."

"One, what is your cover, if any."

"Two, what bodies in Harvest should I inform of your impending arrival. As I said, three groups know of these items and the Inquisition's interest in them. First, upper levels of the Ecclesiarchy -- the items are being held under Arbites guard in Famine's Ecclesiarchal complex around the Cathedral of Altheria the Savior. Second, upper levels of the Arbites, for obvious reasons. Third, upper levels of the Famine government, who are the ones who alerted us to the artifacts' existence."

"Housing for you during your stay can be provided through any of the above."

helvorn

Unread postby helvorn » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:37 pm

Jak Snide wrote:"Not everything goes as planned. It'd be nice to have an explanation if you start speaking in tongues or turning men into toads." Jim shook his head. "And why would pilgrims go to some boondock planet where the local saint was dinner for a bunch of hungry primitives? That doesn't sit right." He glanced at Leveticus, looking for support. "Traders out to buy some grain makes sense. Keep it simple." His irritation with the wytch was becoming increasingly evident.

Kara glanced away from the increasingly angry man. It wasn't that she believed in the facts of her postion it was that the swirling emotions surrounding the discussion, especially violent emotions directed at her or experienced by her were a threat to her self control. She had of course been trained to maintain a lid on her emotions and by natural extension her powers yet one does not goad a bull grox without good cause. Later when it was more important there might be times to impose her will but not know, and certainly not in front of an inquisitor of the Ordo Hereticus.

She gazed carefully up at the ornate ceiling softly humming the plain song melody of the litanys of protection as she traced the various stations of the paths of the Primarchs inlaid in glittering mosaics on the ceiling.

helvorn

Unread postby helvorn » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:50 pm

Kara listened carefully to the discussion between the inquisitor and the two male members of her new team even as she appeared enraptured by the ceiling mosaics. Men were dangerous, extra dangerous to her not only because of the strength of their bodies but the simmering violence of their emotions. She had been warned to be careful, indeed their had been strong discussion of marring her face with the brand to remove a source of passion. Strangely that notion had been tabled by the representative of the Inquisition who said she was more valuable cursed with the face she wore now. She invountarily touched the brand on her chest in remembrance. Kara felt a brief moment of vanity knowiung that many considered her attractive before stifling it under a flurry of mental blows; pride leadeth away from veneration of the Emperor for which no penalty existed yet that was harsh enough.

Looking back down and ignoring Leveticus and the others she addressed the Inquisitor directly. "Lord, if you have some information on trading companies and trade goods that might travel in and out of Famine it would be helpful in determining if we can use a cover as traders and if so in what we deal. Also if there are scrolls describing past pilgrimages to Famine we might use that also." Despite the boldness of her words she did not raise her eyes above the level of Makaber's feet; partially to avoid signally a challenge and partially to avoid further sight of the cherub creature.

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:50 am

Chani had her hands placed in her lap and was looking on with a passionless mask on her face. Clearly she had expelled any ideas she could support the group with and now only waited for further orders.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:31 am

Jim let the topic of their cover identity lie for now, waiting for the cleric to weigh in on the subject.

"The Arbites should know of our presence, that's for sure." He remembered what had happened back on Sinophia. His fellow arbitrators had been decimated and the lost of the majority of their leadership, yes, but even taking that into account the speed with which they'd followed orders once the Inquisition showed up was alarming. The Adeptus Arbites didn't kowtow to anyone, or so he'd thought before then. If they were formally acknowledged they'd gain all the advantages that a precinct fortress provided without having to worry about the nitty gritty of proper procedure. "It's probably worth telling the Ecclesiarchy as well so they don't soil themselves if they find out we're hunting heretical items."

InquisitorChris

Unread postby InquisitorChris » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:23 am

Jak Snide wrote: "It's probably worth telling the Ecclesiarchy as well so they don't soil themselves if they find out we're hunting heretical items."

"Not to mention that the items are actually located in the Ecclesiarchal complex. Although the Arbites could of course inform them of your presence when you arrive."

Sholmes looks expectantly at the Prime.

InquisitorChris

Unread postby InquisitorChris » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:31 pm

OK, Gordon appears to have vanished. I'll send him an email, and in the meantime you can tell me what you are planning to do in the next circa 24 hours until you depart for Famine. Researching in the libraries (and for what, specifically), looking for equipment in the nearby settlement (and for what, specifically), trying to pick up rumors in the nearby settlement, or whatever.

helvorn

Unread postby helvorn » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:36 pm

Do we know much about the surrounding settlement (off island I assume)? Big, small, populated by raving mutants...

helvorn

Unread postby helvorn » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:44 pm

Kara bows to Makaber and then turns to the others; "Perhaps we should divide our resources to accomplish what we may in the next daycycle before we depart. There is research to be done on our destination and perhaps supplies and equipment to be had in the settlement."

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:48 am

Chani stood up as the meeting came to a close, brushing a hand through her hair lightly as she rested her chin in one hand, the elbow supported by her other hand.

"I shall see to my things. I have a wardrobe large enough to support many roles played, but I shall see to procuring some cosmetics, ways to masque my appearance if that should be needed. I will see you all later."

She stepped out the door, and proceeded to, at least attempt to, locate dyes, make-up and other manners of disguise-tools that would allow her to alter her base appearance enough not to stick out like a sore thumb.

InquisitorChris

Unread postby InquisitorChris » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:44 am

helvorn wrote:Do we know much about the surrounding settlement (off island I assume)? Big, small, populated by raving mutants...

According to the DH book, it's an artificial floating construct of 2 million people and is the planet's only settlement. There's more information in the IH.

helvorn

Unread postby helvorn » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:34 pm

InquisitorChris wrote:
helvorn wrote:Do we know much about the surrounding settlement (off island I assume)? Big, small, populated by raving mutants...

According to the DH book, it's an artificial floating construct of 2 million people and is the planet's only settlement. There's more information in the IH.

<ooc> I'll check it out in the IH if that's ok. </ooc>

helvorn

Unread postby helvorn » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:19 pm

Kara watched Chani suddenly go and shrugged. It could be that as a psyker her advice was to be shunned. That was only natural now but later when it mattered she would press her opinion more forcefully.

InquisitorChris

Unread postby InquisitorChris » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:34 pm

OOC: It seems Gordon had computer problems, but should be back shortly and we can go onward and upward.

helvorn

Unread postby helvorn » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:24 pm

As Chani starts to leave Kara reconsiders and speaks up; "Chani, would you mind a bit of company on your quest? I would like to look for some items myself and I feel uncomfortable alone in the concrete jungle. It is so unlike the forests and swamps of Dusk."

InquisitorChris

Unread postby InquisitorChris » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:49 pm

OOC: While we are waiting on the Computer God to smile upon Gordon, I'm going to do some dice rolling.

I know that Chani is looking for some makeup. Question: do you just mean "makeup," or do you mean "disguise kit"? Covering tattoos is going to take some serious caking,

What is everybody else doing during this day? Like I said, you can do research (Lore rolls), look for equipment (Inquiry rolls), or whatever.

I'll just abstract this so we don't spend a month on role-playing the characters shopping.

helvorn

Unread postby helvorn » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:28 pm

Kara is going to do some girl-bonding with Chani by shopping with her. Actually Kara is not entirely comfortable being alone in a built-up urban area (-10 on FEL tests due to Primitive). Plus deep down she's genuinely lonely and Chani has been at least civil to her.

Kara is going to attempt to buy a flak vest, writing kit, las over charge pack and a las hot shot pack. She'll try to hang with Chani who probably has a better chance with a fellowship roll if needed.

gsteelwraith

Unread postby gsteelwraith » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:38 pm

OOC: I'm not sure if the Priests of Mars have been kind to me or not. The Machine Spirit croaked in my computer, and I was forced to buy a new hard drive, upload a new operating system, and reload every program I use. Chris had to send me the link for this place as all my bookmarks went with the hard drive along with everything else. Worse, my browser and Virus protection was partying like it was 2006, and I've got four years of updates to wade through before this thing even behaves remotely like my old trusted system. Sigh.

Leveticus would point out that posing as pilgrims would have the advantage that the cover would be believable and would explain why strangers might turn up in places where they might not otherwise be. It is not uncommon for pilgrims to tour the sites of the Imperial Saints. This would be seen as either an act of great faith, or one of penance, depending on how you care to spin it. Also it would explain why folks from such exotic backgrounds such as the PC group does would be together.

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:10 am

[[OOC - Chani is indeed looking for a disguise kit. Not a super-awesome one, just enough to allow her to dye her hair, alter her skin-tone... a bushy mustachio would be awesome, but I doubt she could pull it off. And yeah, there's definitely going to be some shopping for outfits between Chani and Kara done.

InquisitorChris

Unread postby InquisitorChris » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:36 am

ChristianC wrote:[[OOC - Chani is indeed looking for a disguise kit. Not a super-awesome one, just enough to allow her to dye her hair, alter her skin-tone... a bushy mustachio would be awesome, but I doubt she could pull it off. And yeah, there's definitely going to be some shopping for outfits between Chani and Kara done.

OOC: She wouldn't stand out THAT much. There are lighter-skinned people on Famine, they just tend to be duskier on average. It would be like, say, a Swede ( ;) ) visiting Sicily. He'd probably stand out, but not freakishly.

Anybody else?

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:36 am

Jim continued to argue the case against posing as pilgrims, repeating the points he'd made before and stressing that there were too many things that they'd need to do that would be seen as unusual and suspicious for a pilgrim. This included simply carrying their weapons, a point that he stressed more than once. If Leveticus insisted then he'd grudgingly agree to his judgement out of respect for his rank.

Regardless of how the matter of their cover turned out he'd spend some time chatting with Hew, asking about the man and the circumstances that brought him here before doing some reading up on Famine. If he had time he'd go about acquiring a hat from somewhere. The Adeptus Arbites had been annoyingly strict about headwear and if Famine turned out to a sunny place then he'd need one.

helvorn

Unread postby helvorn » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:38 am

ChristianC wrote:[[OOC - Chani is indeed looking for a disguise kit. Not a super-awesome one, just enough to allow her to dye her hair, alter her skin-tone... a bushy mustachio would be awesome, but I doubt she could pull it off. And yeah, there's definitely going to be some shopping for outfits between Chani and Kara done.

<ooc> Ooohhh! Make-up :) This definitely calls for a shopping trip.

Kara will also look for a few outfits but nothing majorly expensive. She'll get a conservative dress (ankle length) and a more risque sun dress (just above the knees) plus a few more practical trouser/blouse combination's (conservative colors and cut). She'll definitely ask Chani's opinion on things given her unfamiliarity with the overly civilized mainstream culture.

Lastly, Kara will read up on Famine; religion, history, culture and anything else of interest. She will also look fo rany references to statues, knives or spheres that resemble the artifacts found on Famine. Kara will attempt to coordinate her efforts with anyone else from the group that might be frequenting the stacks (Leveticus I would guess).

If time permits she will browse through the library just to see how much is available. Basically she'll take advantage of the opportunity to access the library of an Inquisitor and see just how much can be seen. She'll stay up a better part of the night using multiple cups of kaff to stay awake if necessary. </ooc>

helvorn

Unread postby helvorn » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:41 am

Kara will argue her own view that they should pose as pilgrims with a bit more force. She will point out that there is nothing wrong with pilgrims going armed. The Emperor after all protects those who are prepared.

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:52 pm

Huw would do his best to sway his companions to the side of posing as some grain trader's eyes and ears. "Even company factfinders can have powerful faith in the Emperor. But not every pilgrim has connections that can put thrones in the eyes of most people they meet. It leaves the most options open to us, requires nothing more than some easily procured false papers and cards. I bet we can even get free samples of grain out of the deal. Who doesn't love some nice fresh grain?"

Regardless as to how the debate turned out, he'd be requesting map printouts and other information on Famine, both the city and the world at large. He'd have plenty of time to have someone help him decipher them in transit.

With his remaining time, he'd look into purchasing a pair of sunglasses and some sunscreen.

InquisitorChris

Unread postby InquisitorChris » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:58 pm

OOC: I'll leave it up to Leveticus, as the Prime, to choose the basic course of action.

I just need to know what he's doing (research or whatever), and we'll be on our way.

InquisitorChris

Unread postby InquisitorChris » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:44 am

OOC: The Problem of the Vanishing Cleric appears to still be with us. If I don't hear from him fairly soon I'll just go ahead and make those rolls.

helvorn

Unread postby helvorn » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:19 pm

<ooc> I would assume he's going to do research on Famine in the library. </ooc>

InquisitorChris

Unread postby InquisitorChris » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:04 pm

OOC: OK. If I don't hear anything in the next 24 hours, I'll just go ahead in the game, and start looking for a substitute player. Does anyone have any ideas?

helvorn

Unread postby helvorn » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:03 pm

Let me ask around...

ChristianC
Let's go for a swim!

Unread postby ChristianC » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:54 pm

OOC: Maybe we could assign Jim or Huw as prime temporarily? I'm trying to ask around with my friends as well, but most of them aren't that interested in Board RPing in English (as I am from Sweeeden).

InquisitorChris

Unread postby InquisitorChris » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:13 pm

OK, time to do these rolls and get this show on the road. Note: all rolls made using the Wizards of the Coast die roller.

(I'm doing this more to fmiliarize myself with these rules than anything else.)

Chani and Kara are going shopping. Like I said in one of the initial posts, I'm assuming you already have several sets of clothes, so I'm not going to worry about this.

You have 24 hours to spend. Assuming shops close at 8 pm (which they do, by my decree), since you have already spent an hour and it should take an hour to get to the settlement, you have 10 hours.

A disguise kit for Chani is far too rare to find in the amount of time, but you should easily be able to find a makeup kit. But really honestly unless you know how to use it, you'll likely just wind up getting cake all over the place. I'll let you have it for 5 Thrones though if you want.

Kara is looking for a flak vest, writing kit, las overcharge pack and a las hotshot pack. She doesn't have the Inquiry skill, so she uses half of her Fellowship of 32, or 16. Chani counts as Helping her, so she gets a +10 for that. The settlement has over 100,000 people, so the difficulty of finding an object is reduced by 3 steps.

Flak vests are Average availability, increased to Easy (+30) because of the settlement size. So, she has a +40 counting the Helping, but +30 is the maximum you can get to a roll. So, she has 16 + 30 = 46% chance and rolls a... 54.

Alas, the settlement seems to be all out of flak jackets.

Writing kits are Common, this becoming Very Easy, which if I remember my Errata aright is an automatic success.

How much time does it take to find the item? Looking at the chart, I see it's a whole 15 minutes. No problem there.

Writing kits costs 20 Thrones. Kara can use Barter to reduce the price. She doesn't have the skill, so uses half her Fellowship, or 16, plus 10 for Chani Helping, That's a whopping 26% She rolls... 70! Never mind.

Now for the overcharge pack. Overcharge packs have an availability of Common, this becoming Very Easy, so again it's automatic.

She now has an Overcharge pack. She rolls 65 for Barter, so it costs the standard 15 Thrones. Just like the writing kit she gets it in almost no time.

Finally, the hotshot pack. This is trickier. These are Scarce, which becomes Routine given the settlement size. So, she gets a whole 16% chance. She rolls a... 43. Alas, such was not to be.

So, Kara now has a writing kit and overcharge pack at a total cost of 35 Thrones. She is now down to 88 Thrones.

I've already entered the changes into the character sheet.

InquisitorChris

Unread postby InquisitorChris » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:16 pm

Now for other stuff.

Anybody doing research can easily find anything on basic material dealing with Famine history, government, etc. If anybody wants to know about that, just ask -- no rolls needed.

If anybody is looking for anyting specific, that's different -- let me know and I shall roll.

AS fas as replacement characters go, what we need is somebody who can fill the scholar role, preferably an Adept, Cleric, or Sororitas.

Capntastic
Aa, cracked glass!

Unread postby Capntastic » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:05 pm

Having obtained map printouts and secured them with his other belongings, Huw focused on preparing for another warp-trip. He'd slip into town and make to rustle up a few basics.

Huw's shopping list:
A week's supply of hardtack (to supplement whatever food they serve onboard)
A deck of cards (for fun and profit)
A fist sized or so lump of clay (a mystery!)

helvorn

Unread postby helvorn » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:34 pm

In addition to the general stuff Kara will look for details of the practice of the religion on Famine (beliefs, liturgy, holy days, differences from the 'standard' beliefs), any background on the Saint that they venerate (i.e. where did she come from, why was she sent there, what faction she might have followed in the church), anything odd about any of the regiments sent off world or any other parts of their tithes and any copies of literature or such produced on Famine that might be read on the trip.

She will also browse through the stacks looking for references to statues, spheres or knives like we were shown.

helvorn

Unread postby helvorn » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:37 pm

InquisitorChris wrote:
So, Kara now has a writing kit and overcharge pack at a total cost of 35 Thrones. She is now down to 88 Thrones.

I've already entered the changes into the character sheet.

Well, given that her fellowship, inquiry and barter skills pretty much blow that's a pretty good haul.

Kara will also get a make-up kit while they are out. Not that she's trying to dramatically change her appearance but just the idea that a make up kit would be cool.

PreviousNext

Return to Other RPs