Dark Heresy -- Purge the Xenos

For all RPs taking place in other settings.
helvorn

Re: Dark Heresy -- Purge the Xenos

Unread postby helvorn » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:59 pm

Kara moves up around the side of the table. "Jenkins, how can you live forever if you are cut to pieces? And you have not lived here aeons; you are a servant of the Emperor with Brother Ambrose."

gsteelwraith

Unread postby gsteelwraith » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:41 pm

"Please stop that," continues Jenkin. "You cannot hurt those who have fed on Ulha, glory! I have chewed the meat, and I have swallowed!"

"You've cetainly swallowed something, but I rather think its the other product of a grox," Leveticus will say, rather cynically.

"If you continue," who says in a sudden, almost sane-sounded voice again, "I will have to break the neck of this one, though Ulha is one of love."

He squeezes Chani's neck demonstratively.

Leveticus will take out some water and begin cleaning the head of his hammer, and begin intoning a blessing.

OOC: According to the Blood of Martyrs book, a cleric can bless a melee weapon, and add 'Holy' as one of its characteristics. I got to try something different, and this would be appropriate for a priest facing a minion of Chaos.

InquisitorChris

Unread postby InquisitorChris » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:01 pm

gsteelwraith wrote:
OOC: According to the Blood of Martyrs book, a cleric can bless a melee weapon, and add 'Holy' as one of its characteristics. I got to try something different, and this would be appropriate for a priest facing a minion of Chaos.

Do you know the page?

gsteelwraith

Unread postby gsteelwraith » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:43 pm

OOC: Page 126, under 'Services'. Instead of water, though he'd likely use some oil from the servicing kit for his autopistol (any new gun my friends have ever bought came with at least a rudimentary kit to keep it clean and serviceable), unless you feel water is more appropriate given the circumstances.

InquisitorChris

Unread postby InquisitorChris » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:21 pm

gsteelwraith wrote:OOC: Page 126, under 'Services'. Instead of water, though he'd likely use some oil from the servicing kit for his autopistol (any new gun my friends have ever bought came with at least a rudimentary kit to keep it clean and serviceable), unless you feel water is more appropriate given the circumstances.

That looks to be a service you pay for; for a character to bless something in a game-mechanically meaningful way requires I believe a particular Faith Talent (which I would probably let you buy in future). At any rate it's in character. ;) Whoops you are right and I am wrong. I just got this book and missed the sidebar. The roll is 22, so you succeeded. (Normally I think this would take more time, but given the circumstances I'll let you do it.)

Is Jim continuing with his attacks and ignoring Jenkin's threat?

gsteelwraith

Unread postby gsteelwraith » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:51 pm

Leveticus continues to make his preparations, and he's not exactly being all that subtle about them. While he offers up prayers to the Emperor, and annoits his hammer to make it holy, he's also hoping Jim will back off, at least for a moment or so. Tactically it would give him a little longer to finish, while providing Jenkins at least the illusion that he's in charge of the situation. He also wanted for Kara to continue to keep Jenkins talking while she continued to move toward the glowing statue. While Jenkins was clearly mad as a fish, there might yet be kernels of useful information to be gleaned from his ramblings. Even in the babblings of the insane, there are truths if one knows where to look.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:38 am

Jim relented, his will finally undermined by the futility of his assault and the monster's threat. He glared daggers at the abomination, desperately hoping for some way to strike it down to become apparent.

InquisitorChris

Unread postby InquisitorChris » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:34 pm

gsteelwraith wrote:Leveticus continues to make his preparations, and he's not exactly being all that subtle about them. While he offers up prayers to the Emperor, and annoits his hammer to make it holy, he's also hoping Jim will back off, at least for a moment or so. Tactically it would give him a little longer to finish, while providing Jenkins at least the illusion that he's in charge of the situation. He also wanted for Kara to continue to keep Jenkins talking while she continued to move toward the glowing statue. While Jenkins was clearly mad as a fish, there might yet be kernels of useful information to be gleaned from his ramblings. Even in the babblings of the insane, there are truths if one knows where to look.

Jenkin says, "You still cling to the Imperial cruelties in the face of the miracle! I see, I see, I doubted at first as well, but the Truth set me free and it will set you free through me."

helvorn wrote:Kara moves up around the side of the table. "Jenkins, how can you live forever if you are cut to pieces? And you have not lived here aeons; you are a servant of the Emperor with Brother Ambrose."

"I have lain in the place of the sacrifice waiting for you, key, you and the others! Ah Ambrose," he looks past you at the quivering subprelate, "we were so blind you and I! The saint is false -- but you offworlder I always knew that in your cynical heart you suspected. I heard it reading come to me, come to me, but the wards held and my weakness held me back. It was the key that woke the sleeping part of Ulha! In gratitude she will let you live though you have defiled this place with the Dark One behind you. I went in and grasped, but could not read!"

"We must read it! We must find the ones who are left! They know the way!"

As Kara moves around the table, she is also moving toward the cherubim clustering about the statue and orb. They screech at her and spread their wings threateningly, like a bunch of enraged birds defending their nest.

Spoiler for Jim:

Spoiler:
Suddenly you become aware of a shooting pain in your gut. It seems unbelievable considering the circumstances, but you suddenly feel famished, as if you had not eaten in days. You know where this is going Alex. :)

Spoiler for Leveticus:

Spoiler:
Suddenly you become aware of a shooting pain in your gut. It seems unbelievable considering the circumstances, but you suddenly feel famished, as if you had not eaten in days.

Spoiler for Kara:

Spoiler:
Suddenly you become aware of a shooting pain in your gut. It seems unbelievable considering the circumstances, but you suddenly feel famished, as if you had not eaten in days.

gsteelwraith

Unread postby gsteelwraith » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:55 pm

Leveticus will draw a deep breath in response to the spoiler, and force himself to ignore it by recalling the Trials of Sebastian Thor, and then look at Jenkins, and ask him, "Why don't you release the poor child from your clutches? It would seem the mark of a poor host to invite us to the bounty of your table and then throttle a guest. Especially one so charming."

helvorn

Unread postby helvorn » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:32 pm

InquisitorChris wrote:
gsteelwraith wrote:
helvorn wrote:Kara moves up around the side of the table. "Jenkins, how can you live forever if you are cut to pieces? And you have not lived here aeons; you are a servant of the Emperor with Brother Ambrose."

"I have lain in the place of the sacrifice waiting for you, key, you and the others! Ah Ambrose," he looks past you at the quivering subprelate, "we were so blind you and I! The saint is false -- but you offworlder I always knew that in your cynical heart you suspected. I heard it reading come to me, come to me, but the wards held and my weakness held me back. It was the key that woke the sleeping part of Ulha! In gratitude she will let you live though you have defiled this place with the Dark One behind you. I went in and grasped, but could not read!"

"We must read it! We must find the ones who are left! They know the way!"

As Kara moves around the table, she is also moving toward the cherubim clustering about the statue and orb. They screech at her and spread their wings threateningly, like a bunch of enraged birds defending their nest.

<ooc> Did Kara notice anything about the orb with her psyscience check? </ooc>

Kara grimaces slightly and presses her hand to her stomach for a moment. As the Cherubim confront her she stops moving and eyes the distance between her and the statue.

"What do you have to read Jenkins? Who is left; followers of your Uhla?"

She gives the cherubim an uncertain glance and turns to face the abomination. "Are you saying that the story of the holy saint Aletheria is false? It sounds to me that she defeated Uhla and banished her to prison. There are similarities to your blasphemous rituals and the saint's worship but that shows the superiority of the Emperor's saints in the defeat and transformation of this heresy into the rites of the Holy Church."

Kara's certainty slips for a moment; "Do you say I am the key?" She makes the sign of the Aquila; "My soul is bound to the Emperor; he protects from any darkness of the Warp that may hunger for my soul." Pointing at the statue; "Those blasphemous artifacts are the keys to weakening the Warp here. I can feel the power flood the room from the statue."

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:01 am

Jim doubled over, a mixture of pain and exhaustion dropping him to one knee.

"This whole fucking world is cursed." he muttered, as much to the other acolytes as to the daemon.

gsteelwraith

Unread postby gsteelwraith » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:22 pm

Kara's certainty slips for a moment; "Do you say I am the key?" She makes the sign of the Aquila; "My soul is bound to the Emperor; he protects from any darkness of the Warp that may hunger for my soul." Pointing at the statue; "Those blasphemous artifacts are the keys to weakening the Warp here. I can feel the power flood the room from the statue."

Leveticus will glance toward Kara, and tell her, "Steady on, Kara. He is a soul lost to Chaos, and he will tell you anything to cause you to falter on the path of righteousness. He can only defeat us if we allow his words to deceive us."

Jim doubled over, a mixture of pain and exhaustion dropping him to one knee.

"This whole fucking world is cursed." he muttered, as much to the other acolytes as to the daemon.

Leveticus will add, a note of steely resolve in his tone, "Do not lose hope and hold true to your faith. We may walk through the shadow of the valley of darkness, but the Light of the Emperor is our beacon. In His holy presence I fear no evil, and nor should you."

He'll then look hard at Jenkins, raising his now holified hammer for emphasis, and say, "Now, do you intend to be a good host and stop throttling your guests, or do you need to be chased back to the empryean where you belong?"

helvorn

Unread postby helvorn » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:51 am

Kara will lock eyes with Leveticus for a moment in silent thanks for the inspiring words.

InquisitorChris

Unread postby InquisitorChris » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:04 pm

gsteelwraith wrote:Leveticus will glance toward Kara, and tell her, "Steady on, Kara. He is a soul lost to Chaos, and he will tell you anything to cause you to falter on the path of righteousness. He can only defeat us if we allow his words to deceive us."

He'll then look hard at Jenkins, raising his now holified hammer for emphasis, and say, "Now, do you intend to be a good host and stop throttling your guests, or do you need to be chased back to the empryean where you belong?"

"There is no Chaos here, doubter! This will be a good parable," he looks thoughtful a moment. "Those who came and saw the truth and did not believe, mistaking it for something other. Chaos is with you and the key, the dark one behind her eyes!"

He screeches and gesticulates at Kara.

"No daemon here, no! Ulha hates all things foul that bring death!"

As he speaks, you can see some white liquid foaming out of the wounds that were made by your blows. They congeal over the injuries, scabbing over with amazing speed.

He shakes Chani about. "Release her, no! She will be the first! The first to eat!"

Spoiler for Jim:

Spoiler:
The hunger in your gut is increasing with amazing rapidity.

Spoiler for Leveticus:

Spoiler:
The hunger in your gut is increasing with amazing rapidity.

Spoiler for Kara:

Spoiler:
The hunger in your gut is increasing with amazing rapidity. For a split second, you black out. You are lying naked on a cold slab in some vast dark space. You cannot move. The only light is from some dim source set out of sight. You see Leveticus, Jim, and three other people you have not seen before leaning over you -- two are young men and the third a young woman with the basic cybernetic implants of a techpriest initiate. Their faces are emaciated, skin on bone. They leer at you with expressions of great hunger. The hold knives in their hands. Then you return to normal.

InquisitorChris

Unread postby InquisitorChris » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:10 pm

<ooc> Did Kara notice anything about the orb with her psyscience check? </ooc>

Spoiler for Kara:

Spoiler:
Nope. It's just sitting there, a stone orb covered with ridges. No warp activity was detected.

Kara grimaces slightly and presses her hand to her stomach for a moment. As the Cherubim confront her she stops moving and eyes the distance between her and the statue.

"What do you have to read Jenkins? Who is left; followers of your Uhla?"

She gives the cherubim an uncertain glance and turns to face the abomination. "Are you saying that the story of the holy saint Aletheria is false? It sounds to me that she defeated Uhla and banished her to prison. There are similarities to your blasphemous rituals and the saint's worship but that shows the superiority of the Emperor's saints in the defeat and transformation of this heresy into the rites of the Holy Church."

Jenkin spins around to look at Kara, dropping to all fours so he hunches like a spider on his limbs on the desk, Chani still clasped in one tentacular leg.

"Ah Yes!" His eyes glow rapturously. "It is a book you see! We cannot read it for we have eyes. We must find the Children of Ulha who will tell us, or those that are under, or those who are above from whom this came! And the Children of Ulha ARE Ulha! Yes! She is One and All!"

At Kara's comments about the saint, he says, "no Ulha was not defeated. Ulha is life eternal. She sleeps. She does not yet know we are here! The Children do not know! When you chew the meat and swallow, they will be happy surprised and happy!" He giggles like a small child.

(OOC: For some reason the formatting got messed up here, so the answer to Kara's query is up above inside her quote.)

helvorn

Unread postby helvorn » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:41 pm

InquisitorChris wrote:Jenkin spins around to look at Kara, dropping to all fours so he hunches like a spider on his limbs on the desk, Chani still clasped in one tentacular leg.

"Ah Yes!" His eyes glow rapturously. "It is a book you see! We cannot read it for we have eyes. We must find the Children of Ulha who will tell us, or those that are under, or those who are above from whom this came! And the Children of Ulha ARE Ulha! Yes! She is One and All!"

At Kara's comments about the saint, he says, "no Ulha was not defeated. Ulha is life eternal. She sleeps. She does not yet know we are here! The Children do not know! When you chew the meat and swallow, they will be happy surprised and happy!" He giggles like a small child.

"Look at the wounds; how they heal. We'll have to take another tack if we are to end this abomination." As Kara starts to speak more her eyes roll back into her eyes sockets and her body twitches slightly. After a moment she gasps and sways as if about to fall; "No, no, no! We'll not eat your abominable food. You cannot make me your key, your sacrifice! I am bound to the Emperor..."

She breaths deeply and gathers her composure. "Jenkins, who are these Children of Uhla? We don't need to wake the Children or your Uhla or anyone above or below (ooc: I will not eat green eggs and ham...). The Emperor provides for the people now. When the sun destroys the plants and animals His ships bring in food for the people. Uhla can stay asleep with the knowledge that the people are protected."

gsteelwraith

Unread postby gsteelwraith » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:01 pm

Leveticus will glance toward Kara, and nod toward the statue, and mouth the word 'well?' Right then he needed to know where the source of power was, either Jenkins or the statue. With Chani's life in the balance, and their own as well, he needed information, and the call he would be making in the next few seconds had to be the correct one.

helvorn

Unread postby helvorn » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:46 pm

Kara catches Leveticus' glance. flicks her eyes toward the statue and nods.

gsteelwraith

Unread postby gsteelwraith » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:28 pm

Leveticus will nod, and glance toward the statue with its foul guardians, and start moving toward it, gesturing for Kara and Jim to do the same. 'On three', he'll mouth.

"Then it would be best if we hit Ulha's snooze bar, then," he'll say aloud. "Three!"

InquisitorChris

Unread postby InquisitorChris » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:23 pm

helvorn wrote:"Look at the wounds; how they heal. We'll have to take another tack if we are to end this abomination." As Kara starts to speak more her eyes roll back into her eyes sockets and her body twitches slightly. After a moment she gasps and sways as if about to fall; "No, no, no! We'll not eat your abominable food. You cannot make me your key, your sacrifice! I am bound to the Emperor..."

She breaths deeply and gathers her composure. "Jenkins, who are these Children of Uhla? We don't need to wake the Children or your Uhla or anyone above or below (ooc: I will not eat green eggs and ham...). The Emperor provides for the people now. When the sun destroys the plants and animals His ships bring in food for the people. Uhla can stay asleep with the knowledge that the people are protected."

"You will not become the key; you ARE the key! Ask the one behind your eyes. You stink of him. I... almost have his name." His eyes roll back in their sockets.

"The Children of Ulha ARE Ulha! One and all, under the ground, under those who are blessed to be under."

"The Emperor is cruel, like the sun. He is like that one whose voice you hear. He kills, and his food is but to make more fodder for his armies, his Church, his slaves. Ulha is love, and her food brings not death, but life."

(Waiting for a Jim post, and then onward.)

helvorn

Unread postby helvorn » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:53 pm

InquisitorChris wrote:
"You will not become the key; you ARE the key! Ask the one behind your eyes. You stink of him. I... almost have his name." His eyes roll back in their sockets.

"The Children of Ulha ARE Ulha! One and all, under the ground, under those who are blessed to be under."

"The Emperor is cruel, like the sun. He is like that one whose voice you hear. He kills, and his food is but to make more fodder for his armies, his Church, his slaves. Ulha is love, and her food brings not death, but life."

Kara's face is wiped of expression. "I will not be a key to your foul sorcery. I would sooner die. You are the one deceived. The Children of Uhla are some foul Xenos. These Chela that the locals celebrate are the outward signs of Xenos taint. Don't you know that the path of the Xenos always leads to evil?"

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:46 am

Jim knelt, still exhausted and defeated, unaware of the plan his fellow acolytes were hatching.

InquisitorChris

Unread postby InquisitorChris » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:24 pm

helvorn wrote:
Kara's face is wiped of expression. "I will not be a key to your foul sorcery. I would sooner die. You are the one deceived. The Children of Uhla are some foul Xenos. These Chela that the locals celebrate are the outward signs of Xenos taint. Don't you know that the path of the Xenos always leads to evil?"

"There is foul sorcery in you, not me. I see him hovering over your head, trying to break in, but the foul one cannot match the power of Ulha! Glory!"

"If Ulha is Xenos, then damned by the lie that the Xenos is foul, for have I not lain here these ages? Did I not cut off my own limbs and give of my own flesh so these cherubim could live forever with me?"

(OK guys, are you going to make a move?)

helvorn

Unread postby helvorn » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:38 pm

As Leveticus counts 'three' Kara catches his eye and lunges at the statue. "Destroy the focus!" She is wielding the knife with the handle wrapped in a rag.

Jak Snide

Unread postby Jak Snide » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:28 am

It took Jim a moment to realise what was happening, but he was on his feet in an instant, clutching the sole weapon he possessed, and launched himself at the monster to try and buy Kara some time.

gsteelwraith

Unread postby gsteelwraith » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:05 pm

As Leveticus counts 'three' Kara catches his eye and lunges at the statue. "Destroy the focus!" She is wielding the knife with the handle wrapped in a rag.

Leveticus will move to support Kara, by advancing on the focus and execute an overhead swing to bring his hammer crashing down on the focus. (OOC: Yes, he'll spend a Fate Point for this, as this seems to be a dramatically appropriate time to use one). "In the Name of Emperor, begone Hellspawn!" he'll shout.

InquisitorChris

Unread postby InquisitorChris » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:15 pm

OK, now you ARE in combat. The cherubim are around the statuette, so I'll be rolling Initiative for them too, but as one group to save time.

Order of actions is Leveticus, then Jim, then Jenkin, then Kara, then the Cherubim. (See below for game mechanics.)

Leveticus goes first. The artifact is on the other side of the desk from him, so I'll assume he's been moving around the side. I'll also assume he hits the hovering inanimate object.

Leveticus' hammer smashes into the statuette, crashing it into bits. Some kind of white substance like that coating Jenkin's wounds explodes out of it, like liquid splashing from a water balloon, staining Leveiticus' hammer and sleeve and getting all over the cherubim.

The light that was pouring forth from the statuette stops, with the result that you are now in total blackness.

"NO!" shouts Jenkin. He sounds mad.

The cherubim screech and you can hear them taking to the air; what they're doing you can't tell, it being pitch black.

Next up, Jim!

Game mechanics:

Spoiler:
Jim rolls 4 + AB3 = 7.
Kara rolls 5 + AB2 (Agility dropped 10 because of mental Trauma) = 7
Leveticus rolls 9 + AB2 = 11
Jenkin rolls 5 + AB2 = 7.
The Cherubim roll 2 + AB2 = 4.

Jim, Kara, and Jenkin all got 7, so they go in order of Agility: Jim --> Jenkin --> Kara

Previous

Return to Other RPs