Child's Play: The NEXT Initiative

For all RPs taking place in other settings.
darkknight61189
Rice President

Re: Child's Play: The NEXT Initiative

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:23 pm

"I wonder if we'll have access to any guns," James wondered aloud, "If we're going to find somebody and we might be fighting terrorists, weapons might not be a bad idea."

PriamNevhausten
Holy Order of the Crimson Ballpoint

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:48 pm

Milton meandered in the direction of the Closet as well, there to retrieve the tools of his trade, so to speak. Already he was feeling better, more comfortable, even thinking about having the scalpel and forceps at immediate access. So many things he learned with those tools, so many interesting parts to the human body, so consistent and creative a work it is. How wonderfully it insulates against so many different forms of harm, how many interesting redundant backups it has for its own systems, how resilient.

None of this processing was kept too private; the other children would be able to hear him talking to himself about it.

Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:31 pm

As the group reaches the closet, they find themselves with innate knowledge of how it works.

Step 1: Think about what you want from it.
Step 2: Open closet.
Step 3: Receive item.

Their limits are whatever they can carry, so the best idea would be to grab whatever might be needed. After all, Vi never said where Exey would be.

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:20 am

Milton opened the door, retrieved a set of scalpels and other similar small implements on a sanitary mat. Closed the door. Opened the door, grabbed a small ultrasound transducer and interface goop, closed the door. Opened the door, pulled out an intubation kit, closed the door. Opened the door, pocketed a set of sterile dressings and splints, closed the door. Opened the door, closed the door. Opened the door, closed the door. Opened the door, closed the door.

On about the tenth delivery, he brought forth a small set of packs, in which he put all the previous items, and which he hung on various parts of his body. Stepped back, waiting for the rest.

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:28 am

James stood in front of the closet, and suddenly knew how to get things from the closet. He thought about what he wanted from the closet for the mission and decided he had no idea what was going to happen, so he decided to bring everything. The first thing he thought about bringing was a backpack with an unlimited capacity. Then he thought about bringing a machine gun, then two grenades, then a heavy coat, then a blanket, then a tent, then graham crackers, chocolate and marshmallows (because why would you get a tent without s'mores?). He thought some more about it, then thought about getting a flashlight. Then he smiled and remembered something he definitely should have gotten.

He thought about and asked for a jetpack.

Deeum

Unread postby Deeum » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:15 pm

Agatha stands there and concentrates on what is likely needed. She was never one for heavy artillery. So she thought about several bundles of nets, several smoke grenades, and.. her magazine of cats. While the latter wasn't exactly the most brilliant of choices, she couldn't help but want to be prepared for when she may need something to calm her down during high-stress missions.

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:27 pm

Milton successfully gets all his gear from the closet, although it takes a minute.

James is..Not quite so lucky. As he opens the door to retrieve his gun, he notices that it looks rather shoddy. When he tries for the grenades, the entire group gets a resounding error broadcast RIGHT INTO THEIR MINDS:

System resources low. The desired operation has been canceled.

Agatha, thankfully, has no such problems.

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:44 am

James looked at the things he got and was a little sad. He didn't get the grenades, nor did he get the jetpack. Even the gun looked crummy. Either way, though, he took all the things he got and put them into his "infinite" bag.

"Alright, let's get going with the mission!"

Deeum

Unread postby Deeum » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:18 pm

"We probably don't need much for this mission anyhow." Agatha said to everyone in general. She was very confident in succeeding on their first mission.

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:06 pm

El frowns. At least, from the way her eyebrows angle, one could assume she was...It's hard to tell with that scarf. "Well, I already got my flu shots. Let's get going onteh th' commweb."

She walks four doors down, to a door very clearly labeled "CAUTION", and kicks it open. On the other side is...

...What manifests as a city. There's bright lights and noises everywhere, but everything looks...vaguely unclean.

"Vi said our suits'll protect us from all this crap. I'm really not lookin' to test it, myself. So, who's first?" El says, looking around at the group.

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:43 pm

Testing! Milton was good at testing. He eased past the others at a confident pace, already readying an improvised atmospheric pollutant tester, in the form of a clear sterile glove. Milton took a deep breath, seemed to...swish it around in his mouth, somehow, and blew it into the glove. He took a small speculum and scraped the inside of his cheek, and wiped it off inside the thumbtip of the glove, and then he tied the glove off.

"Now, we'll know exactly what's in this air. We just need a couple hours for it to settle and culture, and I can simulate its effect on us. I'll go get a microscope after it's had some time."

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:26 am

"A couple of hours?" asked James, "Who needs that? What's the worst that could happen?" James took a look around through the door, then proudly walked right through, looking behind him to see the others' reactions.

Nakibe
Lady Malix wills your demise!

Unread postby Nakibe » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:41 am

Awww, and I was hoping we could get, like, some camo gear or something. thought Daniel. But I guess it makes sense that they wouldn't expect us to need a whole lot. "Okay, that DOES look kinda... grimy, I guess." he says and then, noticing James heading into the strange city, Daniel followed suit. "Nothing to worry about, I figure."

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:28 pm

(Sorry for the delay, got distracted by calculating the exact mesh points for the plots.)

Miltons test doesn't take nearly as long as he thought, if only because it comes back positive. The Comweb is a dirty, dirty place. However, his test also shows that the kids own antibody programs can easily handle that, and as such, the group can easily move into this 'city' and begin their search.

As the rest of the party enters, the door back to the Commons closes, and simply disappears behind them. El scrunches what part of her face is visible, then looks around. "Welp, this is the Comweb. Now, if we were a lost computer kid, where the hell would we be hiding? My bet's for whatever website we can download violent video games at."

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:46 pm

"This is a girl, though, right?" James asked, beginning to walk ahead, "In which case, I don't think violent so much as fluffy." He put his hands behind his head and then turned around, smiling at the girls in the group, "So, where do you girls normally wander off to in here?"

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:10 pm

"Fluffy!?" El screamed, her scarf flaring up on a drift that wasn't even there and eyes blazing. "Ae'll show yee flaeffy! I'll beat th' flaeffy raeght aewttae yer!"

The other kids immediately got an error from their internal translators: Whatever she just said, it was so accented that it broke their speech recognition.

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:22 pm

James looked a bit bewildered at El. "...are you okay?"

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:00 pm

"This air is diseased," Milton said nonchalantly, and left it at that. He also made sure to keep a decent distance from El; he didn't have the right training to deal with savages and foreigners.

Deeum

Unread postby Deeum » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:41 pm

Agatha quickly got between James and El."I I don't think that's what he meant. We're not exactly sure on what she's like so anything is possible." she said while motioning El to calm down.

"Lets check out the video game downloads firsts and work our way around there. We're bound to find some information there."

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:32 pm

El spits, though it doesn't seem to even make it all the way to the ground before disappearing. "Right, did any of you actually read the information on her? She sounds pretty screwed up, I dunno if video games are gonna cut it."

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:25 pm

James looked at the others. "I'm telling you guys, cats are the way to go. Says so in her file." He took a few tentative steps, making sure things still felt right. He looked at the others with him, then decided to hell with them. If they weren't going to follow him that's their business. He was going to find this girl and finish the mission with or without their help.

He turned to them all, and announced, "Alright, you know what, I'm sick and tired of bickering and fighting with you guys. I'm gonna go find some cute fluffy kitty sites. Hopefully she'll be there. If she is, then hopefully the fact that they're kitties will calm her down. Otherwise, then we can try some other options." And with that, James headed off into the net, searching for some form of website with pictures of a cut cats. The cuter the better, he figured.

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:46 pm

James gets roughly two steps away...Before the black and neon scenery of the internet fades, replaced by the blue-and-white grid room that the kids may (Or in Aggy's case, may not) have seen on TV when shows are doing their "Holographic space" displays.

There's a moment of sharp, uncomfortable silence...Before a single bell tolls, and voices begin sounding.

There's a flash! And suddenly, a Wunderkind girl floating about ten feet in the air in front of them. She's no ordinary Wunderkind, though.

She's more heavily armored than any of the children in their greater group. Her armor is sky blue on white, and although her uniform is identical, she's wearing a small breastplate, and a visor with a single red glowing light over her eyes. Behind her, eight large swords, floating about a foot behind her, and splayed out like wings. The children all get a program warning: That program makes no sense. At all.

The music that accompanies her picks up, as she looks over the group. Finally, she speaks, her own voice resonating with her song's. "You don't know what you're doing. Turn back. Now."

Suddenly, everyone's database updates. This is Thirteen.

And Thirteen is not a friend to NEXT.

Deeum

Unread postby Deeum » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:23 am

Agatha did not know what in the world was going on till Thirteen spoke to them. She felt a wave of uneasiness rush over her. "W-why?" She managed to ask.

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:05 am

James watched the theatrics, almost laughing at it. It seemed so stupid, so silly, and the music was what put it all over the top. It felt like he was in the middle of a video game, with some mysterious angelic figure appearing in front of them.

Then his database updated. He read it. He almost pissed his pants.

The fact that there was so much unknown about her, and also the words in caps saying not to engage her unless with a full regimen freaked him out. He stood stock still for a few moments, then responded hesitantly, "Uuh... no?"

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:33 pm

The briefing said to not go with Thirteen. But Thirteen was there, saying not to go with her. This was really the easiest decision ever to be made.

Milton worldessly turned around and walked the other direction, but not too far ahead of the group. He had to be there in case their organs fell out, after all.

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:46 pm

Thirteen's head turns just a little bit to look directly at James, and the visible part of her face confirms that her unhappiness has grown. "...No?"

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:52 pm

The look on Thirteen's face steeled James's bladder and made his defiant streak show itself. He puffed up his chest, squared his shoulders and said "Yeah, no. Why should we turn back? What are you trying to hide?" He smiled at her, his hands in fists on his waist in a defiant stance.

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:25 pm

There's strange noise, as Thirteen disappears from her location, and reappears directly infront of James. "I'm trying to save you from yourselves."

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:31 pm

James yelped when Thirteen suddenly appeared right in from of him and took a step back, but then composed himself and took a step back forward, putting his face an inch from Thirteen's. "Yeah? And what are we going to do to ourselves that's so dangerous?"

Nakibe

Unread postby Nakibe » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:21 pm

This whole thing was kind of.. confusing for Daniel. After all, instead of them tracking down some girl like they were hoping to, the team was suddenly faced with something much more menacing than he'd expected. The music, the warning, it was all a little cheezy and yet... still VERY menacing. "And why should we believe what YOU say, anyway?"

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:21 am

Thirteen's face, or what could be seen of it, remained steady as James personally lead the invasion of her personal space. "The girl is Dangerous. Unstable. Flawed. She must be quarantined for your own safety. I am here to help you, whether you wish to admit it or not. That is why you should listen to me, and only me."

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:36 am

"So," James asked, "She's somewhere, all alone, probably confused, and probably upset? And that's supposed to make us not want to go find her? Nobody should be left alone to rot somewhere. I'm gonna find her, and I'm gonna bring her somewhere so she can get some help if she's mad, and at least some human contact and comfort. Now, tell me where she is and step out of my way!"

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:10 am

"James," Milton piped up, "the briefing says not to listen to anything she says, and not to go with her, and not to confront her without a regimen, and that her name is Thirteen, which I thought was a number but I guess it can be a name too, like how some people's last name is Brown even though that's a color. We should move on."

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:07 am

"No," James said, turning to Milton, "I'm not backing down. She knows something, and I'm gonna get it out of her. And I'm sure as hell not gonna back down just because she's got some cheesy background music following her around."

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:21 pm

"You may find that more difficult than you expect." Thirteen says calmly. The others, being a few steps away, notice one of Thirteen's levitating sword-wings twitch slightly.

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:06 pm

"James. Orders are clear, we are to avoid contact. Those are our orders." Milton flinched, this was highly unorthodox and fairly unexpected, though there were sufficient reactions to this sort of situation in his training as a field medic.

Nakibe

Unread postby Nakibe » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:45 pm

"I'm not seeing how we can get past this girl, though." says Daniel. "Maybe if we'd brought the others..."

darkknight61189
Rice President

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:34 am

James twirled around, looking at his teammates. "Well, then think about this. Her arguments are based on the idea that she wants to keep us safe. Sure as hell doesn't make sense, then, for her to kill us." He then whirled back around to Thirteen, pointing his finger at her, "Right? So why don't you let us know why you don't want us going to find this girl, then we'll go from there."

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:48 pm

"I told you." Thirteen says evenly. "She's flawed. Unstable. Dangerous."

PriamNevhausten

Unread postby PriamNevhausten » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:24 pm

Milton pulled directly from the protocol he learned as a medic. "James, you are to disengage with Thirteen. That is a direct order. Because I said it, and I'm the doctor. And because HQ ordered me, and I know it's important because HQ says it's important. Doctors are important." Yeah. That went well.

PreviousNext

Return to Other RPs