Child's Play

For all RPs taking place in other settings.
NebulaQueen

Re: Child's Play

Unread postby NebulaQueen » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:41 pm

Metamorphosis. Was that what happened to them? She hadn't really thought about it much before now; in her mind, she was the same person she was before. The only difference was that she could actually do something now. While the superhuman abilities had excited her and piqued her curiosity, what Silvie was most thankful for was the return of normalcy...or at least, as close as she could get to normalcy in a form like this. She could walk, she could run, she could do anything she wanted to without being exhausted just a few minutes later. It lifted her spirits, and made her happier than she had felt in months. Was this new joy because she wasn't sick any more, or because she was following some sort of destiny?

It was a heavy concept to take in. This new girl made it sound like they had this connection with technology and stuff for ages, but Silvia never noticed it. At least, not in her life. Before she got sick, it wasn't anything she really thought about. Afterwards, though...well, she spent a lot of the time in the hospital watching old and new shows, and playing on systems when she could get ahold of them. She even started to use the commweb more; she was always good with the computers her class used, but she didn't really care about them back then. Was this what Thirteen meant?

There was something else that made her curious, though. She tilted her head at the strange girl, and asked, "What would happen if we did tell them?"

There was a lot they didn't know about her. But what about everyone else?

Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:52 pm

"They would think that there is an error in your programming." Thirteen says, simply.

NebulaQueen

Unread postby NebulaQueen » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:04 pm

"So you're saying they'll think we're crazy."

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:08 pm

"Yes."

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:57 am

Max was growing weary of all this high-concept technological evolution business. It was interesting but... wow. He rests his elbow on his raised knee, and rests his cheek against his fist.

"Right now, I kind of feel like maybe I might be crazy."

"Ok, so, I'm down with the whole, 'We were already Wunderkind' thing, and the 'You're too complicated for us to fully understand' thing. But, how is it that all nine of us D-52 chose for Project Bluesky just happened to be 'wunderkind' already? Were they already aware of this whole new evolution thing? Are they keeping tabs on other kids like us?"

Max realizes he's been talking longer than he intended to. He chalks it up to mental fatigue. "Okay, that was kind of big for one question. But, onto number two. We came here on a mission, and you've been a pretty big distraction. No offense, or anything. It's been really cool and all, and I appreciate the info, but we really need to find that Robert kid. I don't suppose you have any idea where he's run off to?"

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:31 am

"It was coincidence." Thirteen says. "They don't know about us as deeply as you'll learn..And they must not know. Like I said- Don't tell them about this conversation at all. Also..."

She turns again, looking off into the forest. "You have been misinformed. Or not given all the information. You're not looking for another child."

She smiles to the bunch, before continuing. "You're looking for a cat."

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:09 am

Emily blinked, "A cat?" she asked, understanding but seriously surprised at this revelation. And yet it made perfect sense. Nobody started any experiment on human beings after all, and, well, a cat was as good a test subject as any. "No wonder they've lost him," she said giggling slightly at the idea, "Huge open spaces to explore, no people and no need to come home for meals."

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:34 pm

Alexis smiled at the mention of Robert being a feline. "A cat?" she said with a surprisingly happy voice, "I didn't know we were looking for a cat! Have you seen him?"

Animala
HATED BY SKELETONS

Unread postby Animala » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:06 pm

Lauren suppressed some annoyance as she glided down the hall towards the door. She was a bit upset to get pulled away from the mission, but she had to admit that "there might be something wrong with the stuff that defines who you are" was a pretty good reason for it. At least they had been more helpful, if a bit less specific. She'd take "We just noticed something strange from the transfer but we can't find it anymore" over a long list of all the body parts she'd never heard of that she'd somehow broken.

She gasped at her first sight of "unformatted data". She compared it to the corridor she had just come from, and concluded that formatting had some downsides. The dirt path certainly looked traveled, so she engaged her XLR8 system and glided down the path at top speed, hoping to catch up.

What she wasn't counting on was for the field to suddenly disengage at the edge of the forest, sending her toppling forwards head first. Thanks to her training, she was able to turn the fall into more of a controlled roll. It didn't hurt, but it wasn't exactly a [i]clean[/i] landing.

She made her way through the forest, feeling increasingly...right about the direction she was heading, taking the left fork almost without thought. She broke into a run as she began to hear the music, and dashed up to the glowing girl in the middle of the group.

"...I didn't know we were looking for a cat! Have you seen him?" she heard as she approached.

Lauren stepped into the group of kids, her hair a bit disheveled and her body and clothes smudged with dirt from her tumble earlier.

"Who're you? Where's the music coming from? Why are we looking for a cat?" She paused, and took a moment to look around the group. "And why's everyone looking so serious?"

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:11 pm

Thirteen smiled as Lauren approached. "I was wondering if I would have the chance to meet you."

She looks at the others, and indicates Lauren again. "Would someone go over what we learned, to catch our sister up, please?"

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:21 pm

...A cat? You've got to be freaking kidding.

"Ugh." Max falls back to lie out on the ground in frustration. Of the things Max doesn't care for, feeling stupid is way up near the top, and there had been a lot of that going on this morning. Didn't Rivendare specifically refer to Robert as being "like you guys?" But then, that's not very specific. And none of the kids had had the foresight to ask for a basic description of the dude they were looking for. Perhaps they all figured finding anything that didn't look like unformatted nothingness wouldn't be too difficult. Whatever the case, not a great start for Team Wunderkind.

Max folds his hands behind his head. Hopefully they've at least learned something about understanding the details of the assignment you've been given.

And then, Lauren was back. Max tilted is head back to look at her.

"Hey, Lauren. Good to have you back!" Max brought his head back to a more comfortable position, and crossed his left foot over his right knee. "Yea, we've been dropped a serious knowledge bomb by our new friend Thirteen here. Real sci-fi stuff, about the true nature of us Wunderkind. Basically, we're all... like..." Max found himself struggling with how exactly to best condense it all into one brief, sensible statement that wouldn't trigger another 20 questions.

"You know what? Maybe it would be best to have our intel guy explain it."

"Oh yea, and Robert is apparently a cat. Good thing we knew that going into this mission."

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:44 pm

You'd think being eldest would take away some of the awkwardness... but no, Enzo blushed fiercely as all eyes landed on him. He'd better get used to this, though, because it seemed like it was going to happen a lot.

Enzo didn't answer for a moment, collecting his thoughts before answering. It was a lot of boil down to a reasonable length; He COULD have recited the entire event from his memory log, but he really, really didn't want to do that unless he really had to.

"Ok, so. We went looking for Robert, with completely the wrong idea of what to look for. We noticed a light in this direction and thought it might be him, or that he might have come this way at least, since it sort of stuck out a bit. We met Thirteen here-" He gestures to her. "-who has been telling us some things about us. We've learned that we were Wunderkind before we became fully digital, and that there are others like us. We were 'destined' to become wunderkind and come here today. We're effectively a different species than humans though we have a lot of obvious similarities. The best comparison I can give you there is like... Caterpillars and grubs. They're both wormy looking and eat plants, but the caterpillars get to transform into butterflies.

"Anyway. Since we're like this, while in flesh bodies I mean, it might mean that people could influence technology around them, consciously or unconsciously. That would make you think that we need to tell the our Handlers and the rest of the Adults about all of this... but we probably shouldn't, for all the reasons this place surprised us and more. They would probably think we had program errors... And since being crazy is kind of a big programming error, I'm not sure I like the idea of what might happen when they tried to fix it. So for now, everything here stays between us."

He seemed to be done... and then added one last thing.

"Uhm. Thirteen can be a little hard to understand sometimes. If you have any questions for her, be patient and between us we'll figure out what her answers might mean. Er, sorry Thirteen."

NebulaQueen

Unread postby NebulaQueen » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:21 am

"Though we'll understand later on. At least, that's what Thirteen says."

Sylvie coughed, and said, "So...uh, what about that cat?"

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:59 am

Thirteen blinks, and looks at Silvie. "What about him? He is a cat."

NebulaQueen

Unread postby NebulaQueen » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:23 am

"Like...I dunno. What kind of cat is he?"

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:08 am

"Calico."

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:26 am

Alexis seemed... anxious to get going. She seemed to have accepted Thirteen's off-hand remark regarding how she couldn't really understand now, and her thoughts were returning with new-found deliberation. "Do-Do you know where he is? Maybe we should s-start looking?" she was almost bouncing on her heels, clearly very much for abandoning whatever meta-physical fate-discussion was underway and look for that cat.

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:31 am

"I might." Thirteen says.

As she speaks, the rain begins to fall around them in large globs.

NebulaQueen

Unread postby NebulaQueen » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:40 pm

Ugh, and now it was raining. Silvie flinched when the "water" hit her, and while a part of her was thinking hey, this is pretty cool, it feels just like real water!, she really wasn't looking forward to chasing a cat in the rain.

"Could you show us?" she asked.

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:43 pm

"I'll show you." Thirteen says, but everyone can sense an oncoming 'but'. "If your entire team agrees that they want me to show them."

NebulaQueen

Unread postby NebulaQueen » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:48 pm

Silvie took a step closer to Thirteen and turned around to face the others. Now, she had to admit, what Thirteen said was weird. It was really, really weird. But she didn't seem like she was a dangerous kind of weird. Just...sort of loopy. Besides, the sooner they found that cat, the sooner they could get out, right?

"I'm fine with her," she said. "If you guys are."

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:51 pm

Enzo blinked. Well, ok then.

"Uhm. Yes, please."

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:56 pm

Rain... How is it even possible to have weather systems in a digital space? Well, whatever. Lying on the ground was relaxing, but lying in the mud isn't quite as enjoyable. That, coupled with his enthusiasm for moving on from all the talking, motivates Max to jump to his feet with renewed energy.

Thirteens's condition seems a little odd, but if she knows where Robert is, then he can't think of a reason not to have her lead them to him.

"Yeah, that sounds good. But what's with the conditions?"

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:03 pm

Alexis had barely heard Thirteen finish before she nodded quickly, "Yes!" she replied with a louder than usual tone, "Yes, let's go and find Robert!"

Animala
HATED BY SKELETONS

Unread postby Animala » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:10 pm

Destined? Oh man, that was too good to be true. A different species, though? The only way she'd noticed she was different was that she seemed to be the only one willing to do anything to clean up her school.

Lauren flinched a little at the rainfall, wishing she could go frictionless again to avoid getting soaked.

Lauren nodded. "Okay. I don't really understand, but I can keep a secret for now. I'm okay with trusting you for now, but..."

She took a step towards Thirteen. "Don't lie to us. Don't play tricks. Maybe we don't know much right now, but we'll find out someday. I'll find out. And I won't forget." She took a deep breath and turned towards the others, "Still, I'd kind of like to meet this cat soon."

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:18 pm

Over the last few minutes, Sam's been oddly quiet, looking between Enzo and Max as they talk to Thirteen about all sorts of things he's never even heard of. Awed by how much they know - he should have talked to Enzo more before he got changed! - he almost misses when Thirteen mentions the idea that they're all destined for this. He's not entirely sure what to think about that; before all this, the only time he'd ever even used a computer was at school, he never had one at home. But those school assignments did always come fairly easy for him...

Then Thirteen reveals the truth about Robert, and Sam can't help but laugh. Even though he's not much of a cat person, there's something undeniably silly to him of the idea of a cat running around inside a computer. He barely notices the rain when it starts up, not really thinking yet about how strange it is here, and when she asks if everyone wants her help, he nods rapidly. "Yeah, I want you to show us too!"

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:46 pm

"Sure, why not?" Emily said. She was pretty sure they could find Robert on their own, but with the rain, he might have curled up in a nice dry spot somewhere. There was one other thing which she wanted to see about as well, "While we're here, any chance of shutting off whatever it is that's interfering with our abilities?"

The rain was a bit of an annoyance on one hand. On the other, it was also a new experience. The water was simply sheeting off them rather than soaking in to stay. It was cold and wet yes, but they certainly weren't going to catch their deaths of cold.

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:02 pm

Thirteen looks between the lot of them, pausing on each for a minute, and then lowers her head. The ambient light dims enough that the children can all notice it, as the light blue and purple lights pulse and dance at Thirteen's feet.

"Generating imaginary number. Activating routines six through nineteen. Deploying field."

As Thirteen speaks, all the children notice the tingling sensation in their bodies increase dramatically, and feel a sort of pressure in the air. Floating beside Thirteen, a small purple vortex appears, about the size of a dinner plate.

Thirteen closes her eyes, and slowly sticks her hand into it...And it fails to come out the other side. She appears to be digging for something. A moment later, she opens her eyes, and pulls her hand out- Along with a cat she's got by the scruff of the neck.

The cat himself is a fat calico cat, but seems unharmed...And not very happy. She holds him up to the group for inspection- They can see a small collar with a tag, "Bob."

"This is Robert, whom you are looking for. As you can see, he is like us: Data within a computer. But he is fake data. He was never a physical being as we were. He does not have our body, our power, our strength. He is data, but he is not Wunderkind."

NebulaQueen

Unread postby NebulaQueen » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:16 pm

"Whoa!"

Silvie gaped at the vortex, before she turned her attention back to Thirteen. "How...how'd you do that?!"

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:18 pm

Looking much like Silvie right now, Sam reaches out to where it appeared. "Can you do that again? That was so awesome! What was it?"

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:54 pm

Well... that was... certainly... expedient?

"So... ummm... wow. That was... probably easier than it would have been without your help." Max blinks a couple times, and scratches the back of his head. This just keeps getting weirder.

Then Max remembers that tingling sensation, and the question his sister asked. "'Hey, wait a second. We've all felt the vague tinglyness of being digitized, and it got stronger as we got into this 'natural' area, lost our powers, and went into the forest, and it got stronger still when you did your weird purple portal thing. Is there... like... are these things related? Do you know why Emmy and I can't fly?"

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:58 pm

"I shut them down." Thirteen says to Max. "And it is my power. Max and Emily can fly, Enzo can connect us all, Silvia will have super strength and I can manipulate space and time."

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:10 pm

"You... what?" Well, that was a pretty straightforward answer. "How'd you..." Max just stares at her for a couple seconds, trying to figure out which questions to ask.

"Okay, okay. Two questions. One, why did you take our powers away? Second... manipulating space and time? Shutting us down? That's some serious sh-- umm, stuff. How... why do you have that kind of power?"

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:13 pm

"Why can you fly?" Thirteen says, smiling to herself a little. "Granted...I can, too, but...Well, that's not the point."

She closes her eye again, and says something too quietly for anyone to hear.

Suddenly, the group feels the blocks on their abilities lift. ...Except Enzo, however.

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:23 pm

Enzo blinked, trying to follow what Thirteen had just done in his mind. The effort was futile though, he'd never seen anything like what she'd just done and wouldn't begin to know how to analyze it. Maybe one day, but not today.

"Huh. It's not real, and it still managed to find it's way here?"

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:38 am

Max feels his flight capability return to him. It's a little odd to be certain it's returned without having to test it. Just another consequence... or benefit, of being digital.

"Okay, I appreciate that, but it doesn't really answer my first question."

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:03 am

"Some journeys must be made on foot." Thirteen says.

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:10 am

Alexis gaped as Thirteen pulled Bob out of that... uhh... hole in the air? That, together with the rain, tingling, and now the turning on of their powers. It was all too weird for her. Was Thirteen some kind of cyberworld-specialist Wunderkind?

She looked at Robert and smiled broadly; he was pretty fat, but kind of cute, and the way he was almost frowning... She extended her hand carefully in front of the cat, holding up some fingers for him to sniff on in case the bunch of... ten-something people was scaring him. The others were discussing powers and abilities and what have you, nothing that she found very interesting.

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:53 am

Robert takes a moment to sniff Alexis' hand, before seemingly losing interest. However, a moment later, Thirteen uncerimoniously plops him into the girls arms, and he seems much more interested now.

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:29 am

"...Some journeys must be made on foot." Max stands in a mixture of disbelief, and feeling like he really should have seen an answer like that coming. Of course! Some journeys must be made on foot! What an illuminating answer. What was he expecting her to say? Something direct and sensible? Max was about ready for the kids to collect Robert and get this mission over with.

PreviousNext

Return to Other RPs