Child's Play

For all RPs taking place in other settings.
Idran1701
None some call is air am

Re: Child's Play

Unread postby Idran1701 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:40 pm

Sam follows Enzo into the classroom, taking a seat near the middle and watching as all the other kids file in. The project's a lot more popular than he thought it'd be, and with every new face he sees enter the room, he smiles a bit more. As the last one sits down and Mr. McSweeny begins to speak, Sam turns and listens. While it's hard for him to keep settled in his seat, he forces himself to do so; it wouldn't be good if he got in trouble on his very first day of group training, after all. Soon, things move on to the introductions, and he jumps at the first chance, hopping up from his seat when Alexis finishes. A brown-haired, brown-eyed kid a couple of inches short of four feet, he's got a slightly dusky complexion and a constant hop to his step. "Hi! I'm Sam, and my serial number's SACF0009, and I'm 8 and my favorite color's green, and I really like sports but I mostly like baseball, and I also like comics about superheroes and stuff." After an awkward silent moment, he sits down, looking around to see who's next to talk.

Realized I forgot to describe him yet; sorry about that.

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:14 pm

Enzo stood next. He managed a smile, though he was oddly nervous now in front of the other kids. He rattled off the information pretty quickly before sitting again:

"I'm Enzo, Enzo De Luca, I was thriteen when I entered the project. I actually like blue and red a lot, but I didn't think it would make a good looking uniform. Uhm, my serial number is ENDL009, and I'm really into art. Sculpting and painting, and music, and Chess sometimes."

He looked around for the next kid to stand and introduce themself.

NebulaQueen

Unread postby NebulaQueen » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:24 pm

Silvia was the next to stand up, and she beamed at all the students.

"Hi, I'm Silvia Morales, but most people just call me Silvie. I turned eleven last November, and I like sports and hiking and movies like the ones with Bryce Phillips and those Grandian cartoons oh and I love comics, like the Group 8 Squadron. Oh, and my favorite color is red and my serial number is SIMO002."

With that said, she sat down.

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:07 am

The benefit of being first in the classroom is getting your pick of the chairs. Smack-dab in the middle of the room. Max neglects to stand during his self-introduction since "Mr. McSweeney" never said anything about standing.

"Hey. I'm Maxwell Hasting, 13 years old, serial number MAHA010, whatever that means. I'm Emily's brother!" Max motions to his sister. "We don't seem to be introducing our team roles here, but I guess that's part of what we're here to learn. Anyway, I'm a pilot, which I've been told means I'm responsible for getting us and our things where they need to be. Also got some light range combat thrown in there to be useful in a fight. And I guess you've all figured out I can fly. I'm curious to see what everyone else's special abilities are."

"As far as personal stuff... I guess I'm into mechanics, thanks to my parents. That and really awesome examples of engineering, like sports cars and tactical assault helicoptors and stunt bikes and whatever. I'm also really into action movies, especially ones with great chase scenes like Invincible and Under the Wire. Umm... I play videogames sometimes, but I'm not really serious about it. Although, like Janet said, actually being in the game is pretty cool, so I might get more into them now. I've also recently gotten into photography as a way of keeping memories from all the places I've been around the world."

"...umm... I guess that's good enough for now."

Animala
HATED BY SKELETONS

Unread postby Animala » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:16 am

Lauren jumped up, eager to have her turn. "Hello! I'm Lauren Ashton. Serial number LAAS007. Um." She paused for a moment, having momentarily run out of steam before rallying and continuing in a rush, "I like the color pink, I like reading, and super heroes...I haven't really had much chance to watch movies or play video games before now so maybe I'll try that. I'm light melee, which means I can go frictionless which lets me move really fast and really quietly. I think it's really cool having super powers. And I'm really excited to be here!"

Shinigori V2
Wishing she brought a backup turtle.

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:06 pm

"I'm Emily Hasting, Max's sister," Emily said, grinning in his direction at this deliberate mirroring of the first part of his introduction, "Serial EMLHA010. I'm 13, a local of Deck City, and into flying, astronomy and a bit of drama on the side. Which means I'm another pilot, so we shouldn't have too many worries getting about."

"I have to say, I'm pretty excited to be here, and I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone better." She had long since decided to make the best of her new situation, even if it wasn't what she would have chosen for her life. Lemons, lemonade and all that.

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:34 am

Darren gave a half wave from his chair, not getting to his feet. "I'm Darren. I'm nine. D-A-L-A oh oh five. I like to play video games and watch wrestling and I like to blow stuff up, which is what I'm gonna do when I get my new body. I'm gonna have rocket launchers 'n' sh--" Darren glanced quickly at the teacher and censored himself. "--stuff. You all gonna wanna get out of my way when I'm knockin' down buildings."

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:01 pm

McSweeney listens as Lauren, and finally Darren, introduce themselves. Once all are seated, he flickers for a moment, before another voice begins talking.

All the children can hear it with their ears, but they also feel as if they're hearing him directly in their minds, as well. It's a man's voice, belonging to a man in his mid twenties or so. They've heard him before- Byron Rivendare, who is the big boss of Project Bluesky. He's checked in on their training before, and although none of them have ever met the man before, the childrens internal databases tell them everything they'd need to know, at least until they meet him in person.

"Good, very good, boys and girls. You're all preforming wonderfully, and I'm very proud to announce that each and every one of you is..." There's a brief sound of paper rustling. "...Meeting or exceeding expectations? This is terrible. Who wrote thi-The mic's still...? ...Oh! Oh."

Rivendare clears his throat, before continuing, trying to sound as official as possible. "Anyway, I don't want you guys to ever hesitate to talk to one another. You guys are all in this together- You're family now, whether you like it or not. Lookin' at you here, Darren. So I really want you guys to get along."

There's a momentary pause before he continues. "Anyway...I'm pleased to announce that you're actually done with your first day of school. I know it was grueling and horrible, coming in and having to meet your teacher, find your desks, and tell everyone who you were, but try to stick with me, okay? I've got-" The kids all pick up the sound of papers being rustled again- "Oh, here it is. I've got a mission for you...That is, if the first official Wunderkind unit is up to it...?"

He pauses now, as if waiting for a response.

NebulaQueen

Unread postby NebulaQueen » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:18 pm

Family. They were family now. For a moment, Silvie felt a pang of homesickness; what about her parents? What about her real family?

Still...maybe this wouldn't be so bad. These kids, they were sorta like brothers and sisters, right? She never had any siblings before. Who knows, this could be fun....yeah, it was definitely going to be fun. Optimism replaced loneliness, and as soon as Rivendare finished, Silvie's hand shot straight up.

"I'm ready!"

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:27 pm

Alexis hadn't said a word since she presented herself. She recognized the voice of Ace of Diamonds, Mr. Byron M. Rivendare, but it struck her as very odd, since she'd never met or heard him before. Listening to what he said, her eyes widened a bit and she held her breath for the most part of it, finding both some comfort, and some anxiety, in what he was telling them. Meeting or exceeding expectations? She had no idea what that meant. She'd gotten some remarks during the training, but she had no idea how well she fared in her given role. She looked at the others meekly and then back to the AI.

And then to Silvie. She was just a month older than her... yet she seemed a lot more secure and... and mature. Gathering her courage she raised her hand slowly, hoping more of the kids would get there before she did. "...ready..." she mumbled self-consciously.

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:30 pm

Swirling around, Sam tries to find the source of the voice, before realizing it's coming from all around, even inside him. Sitting quietly, he fidgets as he listens to Mr. Rivendare, kaughing a little at the speech fumble. Even though he's never met him, he can already tell that Mr. Rivendare is a neat guy.

At the mention of family, Sam has a little pang of his own, but in looking around, he sees he's not the only one. It helps some, and knowing that the other kids are all going to be there for him helps even more. (Well, except Darren (he is such a jerk).) Thinking about his mom, he imagines telling her about everything that's been going on the last few months once he's let out into the real world, when Rivendare interrupts his daydreaming with the announcement: they're going to have their first mission already!

"We're gonna go already?" He grins, looking up to the ceiling; it's as good a spot as any to talk to. "That's awesome! Where are we gonna go? What're we doing? Are we fighting bad guys?"

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:04 pm

"No, no bad guys- Yet." Rivendare replies. "Your first mission's going to be a pretty easy one. Just to get you guys used to working as a team, and give you some more time to adjust to your uniforms and all."

Again, there is a sound of papers rustling. "There's another, like you kids, who's been put into the computer. Thing is, he's wandered off into another part of the program. The file there's not formatted, so we can't get to him to find him and bring him home.

"Your first mission is pretty simple. Or it should be. We really don't actually know yet." Rivendare continues. "We need you to go out, into the unformated section of the Database, and find Robert. When you find him, bring him back- Preferably in one piece. Uniforms on, but weapons locked. Mission parameters are set. No time limit. Do you kids have any questions before you head out? Not even about this. Anything you'd like to ask me."

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:17 pm

Sam considers before speaking up, again looking towards the light fixture. "What's unformatted mean? What's it gonna be like?"

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:21 pm

"Well, the area you're in now is formatted. I don't know what it's like. Unformatted means it's...Not very organized or clean. Lots of loose data. But you'll all be okay; part of the programming that makes up your uniform protects you from loose data."

Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!

Unread postby Spleen » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:31 am

"Why's he gotta single me out?" Darren demanded, indignant. "I didn't do nothin'." He crossed his arms and leaned back. "Eff that."

Darren looked momentarily thrilled at the possible prospect of trying out his new body, but returned to his sulk when he found out they would be weaponless and still stuck in the Database.

"Yeah, yeah. Let's go."

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:02 am

"There's no danger to Robert, is there?" Emily asked, "If he's got the same kind of unifom as us, I mean." It didn't sound like it, since there was no time limit, but it was best to be sure of these things. She'd come to the conclusion that she liked Rivendare. He just had that warm, friendly manner. All in all, it looked as if this would be a great first outing for everyone. No urgent pressure, no bullets flying around, just working together to solve a problem.

Truth be told, she liked the idea of search and rescue better than combat. Sure, there were times when fighting was necessary, and better they do it than more vulnerable people, but there were surely any number of non-combat uses for the suits too.

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:29 am

"No, he doesn't have the same suit as you guys. But don't worry about it; he'll be okay."

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:26 pm

Enzo had an interest in computer programming, and had started working with it enough to know more or less what Rivendare was saying... but not enough to know what things would be like beyond that. There were jobs he had, being an intel unit, that he didn't know if he could perform as a purely digital entity inside an unformatted file space. He was ready to go on their first mission, it sounded exciting after nothing but training for some odd number of months, but he needed to know some things.

"Uhm. Will I still be able to communicate over distance in the unformatted space? Keep track of their condition and other stuff?"

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:56 pm

This Rivendare guy... definitely not what Max was expecting from a suit. Not all organized and analytical and control-freaky and boring. Not all "type a." Pretty laid back, actually.

Cool.

"I thought us kids and the AIs were the only... 'people' in here. If this Robert guy isn't one of us and he's not an AI, what's he doing in here?"

Max pauses for a second, and then remembers something. "Oh yea, and is there any, like, 'outdoors' kind of areas in the database, or is it all, like, inside buildings and weird unformatted junk data?"

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:20 pm

"You should be able to, Enzo." Rivendare replies. "We're not...actually completely sure. If you can't, you'll need to report it, and we'll have you take a look at your programming to make sure that any bugs in you kids are fixed. As for Robert, he's an earlier conversion. You guys remember yours, right? He was a few months ahead, is all."

There's a pause, as Rivendare remembers to cut his microphone this time. "Anyway, we don't actually see what it's like for you guys. We know your status and that you're currently within your class program, but we have no idea what it's like in there. We couldn't say if there's a forest area or not. If we can figure it out- Big if- We'll get you some space to spread those wings of yours and have a go around the database."

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:26 pm

Max smiles at the recognition of the exact reason he asked his question. "That would be awesome." Bonus point for the Ace of Diamonds, in Max's book.

Although, he wonders... it's interesting, and kind of odd that the people who supposedly designed and built the database have no idea what it "looks" like from the inside. Then again, it kind of makes sense, in a way. They aren't inside it. But then, what determines what the database looks like to those who are inside it?

Max suddenly has an interest in programming. He decides to save a snapshot of the classroom in his memory for future reference.

((edit: So what's the policy on editing and adding things to posts that you thought about after the fact, if there aren't too many posts after the one you wanted to add to?))
Last edited by BrainWalker on Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:28 pm

Alexis listened intensily to the briefing, a very slight frown on her face as she took her duty very, very seriously now. She did also like the tone of this Mr. Rivendare, and she was glad that he was there to tell them what to do. Maybe she'd get to meet him once she got out into her new body... but for now just hearing his voice was soothing enough. It reminded her of her father's...

She wanted to ask something, she realized suddenly. She really, really wanted to ask a question, a smart one, something the others hadn't thought of, something that would help everyone... but she couldn't think of anything and instead sat silent, listening to the rest of her team. Her family.

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:06 am

(To answer BW's question, I don't care, so long as it's your last post, like you had done just there. I generally re-read things to make sure I haven't missed anything like that anyway.)

Mission: 01- Lost and Found.
Deck City: The Database
June 12, 3756.
09:45

"Well, kids, if that's it, we'll let you get on your way. You can get to the unformatted space within the Database by heading through the F:// access route, you'll hit it there. We'll be monitoring you for problems, and feel free to contact us if you need."

There's a momentary pause, before he comes back on again. "Mission Zero-Zero-One, Retrieval of Test Subject: Robert. Search and Rescue. I repeat, Search and Rescue. Wunderkind team- Class dismissed! Deploy!"

With that, the door to the classroom opens itself, and McSweeney simply..Vanishes.

(And from here, it's CI again, until Koss has a chance to return. Feel free to chat amongst yourselves for as long as you'd like.)

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:00 pm

As their teacher disappears back to wherever he came from, Sam looks around the other students, almost looking for something as he looks from face to face. "...What now? We should go now, right? If that guy's lost, we should find him quick, before stuff happens!" Hopping up from his seat, he moves a bit closer to the door, not quite bolting but looking ready to at any moment. "Right? 'Cause it sounds pretty dangerous, and he might be hurt or somethin' already!"

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:09 pm

"I dunno..." Janet says, standing from her desk and stretching her arms over her head before putting her hands on her hips. "I mean, look at us. I don't know about any of you, but I haven't felt safer since they digitized me. I know we can still hurt ourselves, and feel pain-" She pauses, indicating her leg- "Twisted my knee during training. Anyway, I don't think this place itself can hurt us. Maybe if it has a virus or something, but...Yeah."

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:18 pm

Alexis slipped off her chair soundlessly and snuck up next to Janet, a bit back. She listened to the two talk, but didn't say anything, instead just looking from one of them to the other, mulling over what they'd been told until finally she decided to speak up on her own, hands clasped again behind her back.

"We can't get hurt here..." she whispered after Janet's remark, although she sounded less convinced and more as if this was something she'd been told. Having said that, she returned to being silent, watching the others with her wide, staring eyes.

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:31 pm

"..Maybe. I mean, it was on the laptop that I hurt myself. But I know that, like..Our souls are still in us. We're still kids, we're just existing differently now."

Idran1701
None some call is air am

Unread postby Idran1701 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:02 pm

"Well...um...if this place can't hurt us, I guess we don't hafta be too worried about Robert. But he's still lost, an' I bet he's scared an' stuff! Plus what if unformatted places are different than this kinda place, and they can hurt him. It could be, right? So we should hurry!"

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:22 pm

"Well..." Max scoots out of his desk. "...There's only one way to know for sure if we can get hurt in here.'Scuse me." He walks past Lauren's desk, and faces the wall. He stares at it, like he's not sure if it's really there or not.

"I've got a hunch that this place isn't really set in stone... what we're seeing is, like, a result of what we were expecting to see. Like... like a dream or something. It's all just data, and the reason we see stuff like desks and walls is because we're data too."

"So, if that's it..." Max strikes an unrefined fighting pose. He stands for a couple seconds, contemplating his next move. He closes his eyes, and psyches himself up. I'm just data, the wall is just data, it should stop my fist, but it's not like I have actual bones to break or anything, right? Right. This isn't going to hurt, this isn't going to hurt...

"This isn't going to hurt!" Max gives the wall a swift but strong left jab.

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:27 pm

Max punches the wall, and there's a loud "THUD" as his glove smacks into it.

Although the thick glove takes the brunt of it, Max still feels a sharp sting from his fingers. Even though they're all Data, that still kind of stings!

"...That sounded...Pretty bad." Janet says, scrunching her face. "Are you okay, Max?"

NebulaQueen

Unread postby NebulaQueen » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:23 am

Silvie winced when she saw Max's fist hit the wall. Janet was right; it did look like it hurt. And sounded like it, too.

"Uh...I guess that's one way to find out. You okay?"

Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!

Unread postby Spleen » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:34 am

Darren looked impressed. "That was badass. I knew a guy who used to punch walls when he was mad, but those were real walls. D'you think you broke anything?"

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:56 am

Alex stared at Max and then cast a glance about her, realizing she'd been wrong. Had she misinterpreted what she'd been told?

Her ears took on a distinctively red tone as she bit her lower lip, hoping that Max hadn't been hurt. Because if he was, that would mean that...

Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!

Unread postby Kelne » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:28 am

Emily grinned slightly as Max's theory fell apart. Or wasn't vindicated, at least.

"I think the walls are about as real as we are," she said, "They're only data, but so are these bodies, if you think about it. The whole system's set up so that the two sets of data interact with each other instead of just going their own ways. Maybe we could change that, but I don't think we can do it from the inside."

BrainWalker
✔+

Unread postby BrainWalker » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:27 am

Max winces, and leaves his fist against the wall for a moment. "Yaaahh.... ah... yea... okay, so, that maybe could have been worse, but I definitely don't feel invincible right now."

He takes his fist back, and shakes it out. "So, I think I'll be alright, but my theory needs a little work. I'm gonna go with what Emmy said for now." Max flexes his fingers to make sure they still work right. He looks at his hand, almost as if he's disappointed in it. Good thing he decided to use his off hand. Maybe he should be a little careful, after all.

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:12 pm

Enzo had kept quiet while the others talked after Rivendare had signed off. So that was their boss. He sounded kinda neat, so far. He didn't waste too much time on that thought, though: It was time to move forward. He did a quick test, to make sure that his link with the others activated: A quick feel for their thoughts, and a brief flash in their minds of the image of a card: He'd chosen the trademarked Joker face for this test. It just felt right at the time.

"Is everyone receiving?"

Christian
Dead Stompy

Unread postby Christian » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:02 pm

So it had hurt...

Alexis felt very disappointed... she'd tried to convince herself that anything she'd felt during training was just... what had they called it? Ghost memories? Nobody'd told her those pains were, so she couldn't even blame anyone for lying to her... it'd just felt easier to think of them only as memories of pain, rather than...

She shook her head just a little to clear her thoughts from that, instead trying to think about their mission. As a scout she'd been trained rather extensively in the importance of keeping a constant link of communication between herself and the rest of her team, primarily their Intelligence specialist who could use whatever information she gathered in a precise and efficient way... but then again, she'd also been trained what to do when keeping radio silence... She wondered if their com-system worked inside the mainframe... maybe they were already using it, unconsciously?

"M...maybe we should get going...?" she suggested meekly, trying to send her voice over the open com-channel as well.

Shinigori V2

Unread postby Shinigori V2 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:37 pm

There is a moment, as Enzo realizes that his uplink did not work, and as Alexis finds that she did not get her words transmitted through the radio as intended. Janet stops a minute, to think. "Well..Before we do, I think we should probably get used to all this, first. There's still a lotta stuff I don't think any of us really get, and going into this without understanding..Y'know, our bodies and stuff....Might be bad."

Besyanteo
Would-be GitP Bard

Unread postby Besyanteo » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:42 pm

Uh oh. That would make things much less easy. It also defeated more or less his entire purpose in this mission, except to be another set of eyes. Then again, the same could be said for any of the combat units. However, he still would have liked to be able to use that system.

"... I don't think my etherware abilities are working in here. I mean, I know we're just data, but I guess I sort of thought that they would anyway. I won't be able to coordinate the search. Sorry guys."

NebulaQueen

Unread postby NebulaQueen » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:20 pm

"It's okay," she said. "Really. And hey, we figured out what doesn't work, right?"

She bit the corner of her lip and crossed her arms, and said, "But how are we gonna test out other stuff? I don't know about you guys, but I don't really want to punch some walls."

PreviousNext

Return to Other RPs