Doing What They Can (D&D 3.5 campaign)

For all RPs taking place in other settings.
User avatar
Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!
 
Posts: 2625
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 5:07 pm
Location: Demon Realms of Niu-Jiurzi

Re: Now, sir, a war is won!

Unread postby Spleen » Tue May 09, 2006 10:00 pm

Magic is detected by Mulligan's spell.

Bergher looks tensely over to Hargen. "Open the bag and let me see my daughter again," he says.

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=spleeninfinity13>SpleenInfinity13</A]&nbsp; Image at: 5/9/06 22:08

User avatar
Nakibe
Lady Malix wills your demise!
 
Posts: 1214
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2002 8:51 am

Re: Now, sir, a war is won!

Unread postby Nakibe » Wed May 10, 2006 12:10 am

Ciele gets up, and calmly walks over to the bag. "I've got it, Mister Bergher. She looks at the hobgoblins. "No tricks, I hope" she says, as she sallies forth to inspect the "goods".


User avatar
Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!
 
Posts: 2625
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 5:07 pm
Location: Demon Realms of Niu-Jiurzi

Re: Now, sir, a war is won!

Unread postby Spleen » Wed May 10, 2006 6:17 pm

Ciele will need some manner of edge to open the bag.


User avatar
Nakibe
Lady Malix wills your demise!
 
Posts: 1214
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2002 8:51 am

Re: Now, sir, a war is won!

Unread postby Nakibe » Thu May 11, 2006 3:36 pm

Ciele frowns. "Any of you got a dagger?" For a moment she almost asks for a SPARE dagger, but why aggravate things any more than you have to?


User avatar
Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!
 
Posts: 2625
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 5:07 pm
Location: Demon Realms of Niu-Jiurzi

Re: Now, sir, a war is won!

Unread postby Spleen » Thu May 11, 2006 3:46 pm

There's one in H8 that the hobgoblin dropped for Hargen.


NamagomiMk0
 
Posts: 1223
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 1:47 am

Re: Now, sir, a war is won!

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Thu May 11, 2006 4:33 pm

Adil reaches into one of his pockets for a split-second, before pulling out a sickle, and then responding to the question by stepping forward to where he was pushed, and then throwing the cutting implement to Ciele. (back to G9)

"I believe that should be effective," he says, still masked.

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=namagomimk0>NamagomiMk0</A] at: 5/11/06 23:25

User avatar
Nakibe
Lady Malix wills your demise!
 
Posts: 1214
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2002 8:51 am

Re: Now, sir, a war is won!

Unread postby Nakibe » Thu May 11, 2006 11:37 pm

Ciele picks up the sickle and says "Ah. This should do. Thanks." That done, she proceeds to open their little lovely package, hoping that Mr Bergher's daughter is inside... and not hurt by her attempt to cut the bag open.


User avatar
Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!
 
Posts: 2625
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 5:07 pm
Location: Demon Realms of Niu-Jiurzi

Re: Now, sir, a war is won!

Unread postby Spleen » Fri May 12, 2006 8:36 pm

The hobgoblins standing around the bag watch carefully as the canvas of the sack is slit. They look at their boss, almost questioningly. He drops the bag he was holding, and smiles.

"Rek!" he shouts.

Immediately, the hobgoblin with the sword and the bow whisks the latter off his back and gets an arrow nocked, which he lets fly at Adil.

Attack Roll vs. Adil (flat-footed): 29

Not prepared for the attack, Adil has no chance to dodge. Insidiously, too, the archer has an apparent knack at doing damage in a surprise attack, which Adil quickly finds.

Adil takes 16 damage.

The hobgoblin with the axes dextrously takes a swipe at Hargen with the one in his right hand.

Attack Roll vs. Hargen (flat-footed): 28

Just as unprepared as Adil, Hargen is not given a chance to bring up any sort of defense against this attack. However, this enemy lacks the keen aim of his partner, and happens to be rather weak in the arms, as well.

Hargen takes 4 damage.

The next attack is the most insidious yet. Rather than a human girl's hand or head being the first thing to come out of the now-open sack, it is a small sword, barely more than a knife, that flits out in the grip of a small, knobbly goblin hand.

Attack Roll vs. Ciele (flat-footed): 22

Ciele's almost preternatural defensive reflexes kick in (along with the considerable magic protection offered by her bracers and amulet), deflecting the strike wide.

Ciele also notices an irregular, sticky sheen on the weapon's blade, but what it is she can't identify for sure.

Either way, her assailant has come free of the sack and is visible. A short, skinny goblin in a chainmail shirt, with five daggers on his belt and a loaded crossbow at his side, with the aforementioned short sword in his hand, poised to strike again when he recovers his balance from the last attack.

The leader of the hobgoblins, satisfied his plans are in motion, takes the oversized hammer from his belt and brings it down in an overhead chop at his nearest opponent, who happens to be Dashe.

Attack Roll vs. Dashe (flat-footed): 22

The agile Dashe is caught as unaware as his companions, and a strike that he would otherwise have protected himself against with relative ease winds up breaking through the defenses he puts up unconsciously. However, warlocks such as Dashe are beings of magic as well as flesh, and the mere steel of the weapon's head cannot cut through all of Dashe's resistances.

Dashe takes 7 damage (including damage reduction)

Dashe must make a DC 17 Concentration check if he plans to hold onto his detect magic ability despite the pain of the attack.

The wolf springs into action next, leaping with its powerful jaws at Adil.

Attack Roll vs. Adil (flat-footed): 11

Armor is armor, especially magically-reinforced chain shirts. Adil is unharmed.

Image

Initiative Order
19: <span style="color:green;">hg</span>
18: Hargen
15: porters
14: <span style="color:blue;">hg</span>
14: Ciele
12: <span style="color:orange;">g</span>
11: <span style="color:red;">hg</span>
10: Varlak
9: Dashe
9: Adil
9: Mulligan
4: <span style="color:purple;">w</span>
2: Dram Bergher
0: Cerlorendbelrayiaioaie

The hobgoblin who so deftly shot Adil decided, apparently, that he enjoyed doing so, and so chooses to do so again, twice in fact.

Attack Roll vs. Adil (flat-footed): Auto-Failure
Attack Roll vs. Adil (flat-footed): 14

However, the aim is not nearly as good as the first one with either shot, the first of which goes extremely wild, coming nowhere near the mark.

Hargen's Turn

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=spleeninfinity13>SpleenInfinity13</A]&nbsp; Image at: 5/12/06 20:40

User avatar
darkknight61189
Rice President
 
Posts: 928
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Between Here and There, just a little past Yonder.

Re: Now, sir, a war is won!

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Sat May 13, 2006 2:54 pm

Dashe quickly yells out "Do not kill the leader. We need information. Leave him to me."

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=darkknight61189>darkknight61189</A]&nbsp; Image at: 5/13/06 14:54

GC130A
 
Posts: 277
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 9:37 pm

Re: Now, sir, a war is won!

Unread postby GC130A » Sat May 13, 2006 4:05 pm

"Not as subtle as I thought they'd be," Mulligan comments simply. "Shall we go, Mr. Bergher?"

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=gc130a>GC130A</A] at: 5/13/06 16:07

User avatar
Zemyla
 
Posts: 1500
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 11:01 am

Re: Now, sir, a war is won!

Unread postby Zemyla » Sat May 13, 2006 5:01 pm

Hargen didn't pay the wound he took any heed. He did, however, attack the impertinent hobgoblin, hoping to bring him down by superior force of arms. He then stepped back, hoping the porters would get out of the way. He also had a surprise for anyone who tried to move in.

(Full attack against <span style="color:blue;">hg</span>, then five-foot stepping to I6. That way, I have reach to <span style="color:blue;">hg</span>, <span style="color:green;">g</span>, and if the porters move out of the way like they should, <span style="color:red;">hg</span>.)


NamagomiMk0
 
Posts: 1223
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 1:47 am

Re: Now, sir, a war is won!

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Sat May 13, 2006 10:45 pm

Adil states, under his breath, in Draconic, "Why should we follow the directions of someone who jumped at the auras of our own stuff?"


User avatar
Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!
 
Posts: 2625
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 5:07 pm
Location: Demon Realms of Niu-Jiurzi

Re: Now, sir, a war is won!

Unread postby Spleen » Sat May 13, 2006 10:46 pm

(If it's a non-secret roll like a full attack, then you don't have to have the DM roll it, you know. In fact, it's almost always faster if the player rolls things like full attack, and also rolls damage as well (as if they're expecting to hit with everything; please calculate each attack seperately). In Hargen's case, it might also be prudent to roll any extra attacks he gets by virtue of his Improved Trip and Knockdown feats. I'll roll this now, but know this for the future.)

Hargen: Attack Roll vs. <span style="color:blue;">hg</span>: 8 + 15 = 23
<span style="color:blue;">hg</span> takes 20 damage.
Hargen: Free Trip Attempt (from Knockdown feat): 8 + 12 = 20
<span style="color:blue;">hg</span>'s opposed roll: 23
Hargen: Attack Roll vs <span style="color:blue;">hg</span>: 6 + 10 = 16


Hargen's first attack comes in hard and gets the hobgoblin in the thigh, leaving a deep, bloody gash. The force of the blow is almost enough to knock the hobgoblin warrior off his feet, but he regains his footing with impressive agility. The second halberd attack, less balanced than the first, hits a strong part of the hobgoblin's armor and fails to do any damage to the wearer. Then he steps back to I6.

As Hargen predicted, the porters were not paid to fight (and were, in fact, given orders to flee if one breaks out). They take withdraw actions (disallowing attacks of opportunity from the leader with the hammer) and move to the southwest. One winds up a little ways off the map, one winds up in P2, and the other winds up in S1.

Hargen's opponent, unaware of Hargen's curious gift, thinks he has merely backed off slightly. He takes his 5-foot step to H7 (Hargen's old position) and begins an attack, interspersing strikes against Hargen and strikes against Ciele.

<span style="color:blue;">hg</span>: Attack Roll vs. Hargen: 17
<span style="color:blue;">hg</span>: Attack Roll vs. Hargen: 22
<span style="color:blue;">hg</span>: Attack Roll vs. Ciele (flat-footed): 13
<span style="color:blue;">hg</span>: Attack Roll vs. Ciele (flat-footed): 19


Today isn't this hobgoblin's day, though, as solid dwarf-wrought platemail and a monk's warrior instincts and shell of protective magic repel each of his four attacks.

Bergher yells out to Mulligan in answer: "Not yet, save it for when we find my daughter!"

Ciele's Turn

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=spleeninfinity13>SpleenInfinity13</A]&nbsp; Image at: 5/13/06 22:48

User avatar
Nakibe
Lady Malix wills your demise!
 
Posts: 1214
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2002 8:51 am

Re: Now, sir, a war is won!

Unread postby Nakibe » Sat May 13, 2006 11:35 pm

Ciele, for her part, is decidedly pissed at having goblins stab at her. Now that she's done dodging attacks, she moves over in front of the axe-using Goblin, and with a stomp and "KIYA!" makes two rapid kicks and a punch at the goblin. Anyone who's watching would definitely notice the flames that seem to surround her feet and hands as she attacks.

(Full attack action, Flurry of Blows ability, using the Fist of Energy special ability to gain the Flaming property for every hit here. 7 stunfist attempts left after this...

Attack Roll 1 : 7 + 9 = 16
* Damage : 9 + <span style="color:red;">4 fire</span> = 13
Attack Roll 2 : 7 + 13 = 20
* Damage : 7 + <span style="color:red;">1 fire</span> = 8
Attack Roll 3 : 2 + 10 = 12
* Damage : 6 + <span style="color:red;">3 fire</span> = 9 )


User avatar
Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!
 
Posts: 2625
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 5:07 pm
Location: Demon Realms of Niu-Jiurzi

Re: Now, sir, a war is won!

Unread postby Spleen » Sun May 14, 2006 12:20 am

The first of Ciele's attacks is dangerously close to injuring the axe-wielder, but is absorbed by his chain shirt just below his armpit. The second of the two kicks gets him in the lower jaw, probably dislocating it and singeing the skin with the magic of Ciele's sacred powers. Despite the distraction of his probably-dislocated jaw, he still finds himself able to get to the outside of Ciele's punch.

<span style="color:blue;">hg</span> takes 8 damage

The small goblin standing within the remains of the sack steps in with the short sword and takes another swing at Ciele.

<span style="color:orange;">g</span>: Attack Roll vs. Ciele: 23

This time, the weapon passes through Ciele's defenses and strikes her in the shoulder.

Ciele takes 4 damage.

The weapon is not done with its work yet, though. The sheen that Ciele noticed before reveals itself as the taint of a poison, one now entering her bloodstream.

Ciele: Fortitude Save: 18

Ciele's body resists the poison, her strong immune system neutralizing its effects.

The leader of the hobgoblins acts next, moving to J9. His first attack is with his hammer, against Mr. Bergher.

<span style="color:red;">hg</span>: Attack Roll vs. Dram Bergher: 20
Bergher takes 11 damage.


Bergher, slow in his old age, is struck heavily by the attack, and almost buckles with the blow to his hip. The next attack the hobgoblin attempts is to push Dashe into Mulligan.

<span style="color:red;">hg</span>: Bull Rush check vs. Dashe: 21

Dashe is entitled to an opposed Strength check (1d20 + Str) to resist being bull rushed. The hobgoblin leader's apparent experience with pushing people around leaves Dashe not entitled to an attack of opportunity. If Dashe fails to beat 21 on his check, he will wind up in J11 with Mulligan. (I'm still trying to decide how this will work, so I'm glad Darkknight has already gone to bed.)

Varlak's Turn

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=spleeninfinity13>SpleenInfinity13</A]&nbsp; Image at: 5/14/06 0:25

User avatar
Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!
 
Posts: 3605
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 2:02 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Now, sir, a war is won!

Unread postby Kelne » Sun May 14, 2006 4:52 am

Well, there was the treachery. While it hadn't been unexpected in and of itself, the form it had taken was enough to give the hobgoblins quite an edge. Thankfully, that will only go so far.

Trusting Dashe to handle the leader, under the assumption that if he doesn't, Mulligan will, Varlak abandons his existing cover, moves forward to a fresh patch and takes aim at the only foe not thus far engaged - the archer. It can't hurt to give him something to think about.

The shot isn't the clearest, thanks to all this infernal natural vegetation stuff, but at the very least it ought to make him keep his head down for a few critical seconds.

(Varlak moves to H12 and shoots at the archer.

Rolls:
Attack roll vs greenie: 10 + 19 = 29
Confirmation roll: 10 + 6 = 16
Damage: 5 (+3 if crit. Which I doubt.)
Concealment comes into play, I'm sure, but I leave that to the GM.)


User avatar
darkknight61189
Rice President
 
Posts: 928
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Between Here and There, just a little past Yonder.

Re: Now, sir, a war is won!

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Sun May 14, 2006 10:49 am

(Opposed Strength Check: 19+4= 23)

Dashe saw the bull rush coming, and quickly braced himself for the impact, digging his feet sollidly into the ground and leaning into the charge. His legs absorbed the blow, and he reeled back a bit from the force, but quickly found his balance and kept his ground.


User avatar
Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!
 
Posts: 2625
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 5:07 pm
Location: Demon Realms of Niu-Jiurzi

Re: Now, sir, a war is won!

Unread postby Spleen » Sun May 14, 2006 12:06 pm

(Darkknight, would it have killed you to have taken your turn along with your opposed roll? The roll doesn't count as part of your turn.)

Varlak: Roll to Overcome Concealment: 50

Varlak's shot is a good one, though not battle-ending, the crossbow quarrel embedding itself in the target's shoulder despite the protection offered him by his position.

<span style="color:green;">hg</span> takes 5 damage.

Dashe's Turn


User avatar
darkknight61189
Rice President
 
Posts: 928
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Between Here and There, just a little past Yonder.

Re: Now, sir, a war is won!

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Sun May 14, 2006 3:10 pm

((Well, I figured that you make opposed strength checks when they happen, so...))

Dashe laughs in the hobgoblins face. "You think a puny push like that could get me? I'm stronger than I look." To emphasize the point, Dashe began his attack.

(Attack Roll
Flailing strike: Number of attacks [1d4-1]- 2 extra attacks.

First attack: 11+10= 21

Second attack: 11+20= 31 (Crit)
Confirm: 11+15= 26

Third attack: 11+14= 25

Fourth attack: 6+5= 11

Damage

First: 2+4= 6

Second: 5+4= 9

Third: 4+4= 8

Fourth: 3+4= 7

(Also, don't forget Inexorable Progress of Dawn. If the first two hits connect, I want him to move back 5 feet, and I want to move with him.))

Dashe opens with a roundhouse kick with his right leg to the hobgoblin's chest, followed by another roundhouse kick with his left to the chest again. He then whips around and backhands the goblin across the face, and finishes off with an open palm strike to the bottom of the hobgoblin's chin.

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=darkknight61189>darkknight61189</A]&nbsp; Image at: 5/14/06 15:32

User avatar
Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!
 
Posts: 2625
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 5:07 pm
Location: Demon Realms of Niu-Jiurzi

Re: Now, sir, a war is won!

Unread postby Spleen » Sun May 14, 2006 5:35 pm

(For next time, it's rolls + mods, not mods + rolls.)

The irony of Dashe's statement is that his strikes rely far more on his agility than his strength. Still, the boast is effective, as the first three of Dashe's wild, uncontrolled, but undeniably formidable strikes hit and hit hard, especially the second (which Dashe thinks might have actually cracked the hobgoblin's sternum). Dashe is also able to use his training to drive the hobgoblin back a step and not skip a beat in his attack routine. The hobgoblin with the hammer is now in J8, and Dashe is now in J9.

<span style="color:red;">hg</span> takes 32 damage.

Image
(Whoops, I forgot to put the exchange tree back in I9. It'll be on the next map.)
Initiative Order
19: <span style="color:green;">hg</span>
18: Hargen
15: porters
14: <span style="color:blue;">hg</span>
14: Ciele
12: <span style="color:orange;">g</span>
11: <span style="color:red;">hg</span>
10: Varlak
9: Dashe
9: Adil
9: Mulligan
4: <span style="color:purple;">w</span>
2: Dram Bergher
0: Cerlorendbelrayiaioaie

Adil's Turn

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=spleeninfinity13>SpleenInfinity13</A]&nbsp; Image at: 5/14/06 17:51

NamagomiMk0
 
Posts: 1223
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 1:47 am

They're in Durkadurkastan. Maybe. Possibly.

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Sun May 14, 2006 9:00 pm

Adil grimaces as he draws his sword, the large, black blade ringing through the air as it leaves the sheath--at the same time, he rips out the first arrow with his off-hand, dropping it unceremoniously before gripping the weapon in both and considering his options. As delicious as breaking that archer would sound at this moment, that wolf is, amongst other things, large, and likely strong--beasts, however stupid they may be, are still not to be trifled with in the worst circumstances. He then begins his assault by unleashing a diagonal-downward, then diagonal upward strike in a V-pattern on the animal, before stepping to the side, near the archer. After all, missile weapons take time and concentration to use.

"Hello", sneered the swordsman at the archer, with a hint of malice and seething anger in his voice, preparing to evade an impending attack in the process.

(Full Attack vs. Wolf (Power Attack rating =1)
Attack 1 (vs. wolf): 19+18(roll)=37
Damage: 24+1 (roll)=25
Attack 2 (vs. wolf): 14+5(roll)=19
Damage: 24+3 (roll)=27

Move: 5-foot step to F9, placing the bow-and-sword hobgoblin in his threatened range.

Dodge designation: <span style="color:green;">hg</span>.)

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=namagomimk0>NamagomiMk0</A] at: 5/14/06 21:21

User avatar
Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!
 
Posts: 2625
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 5:07 pm
Location: Demon Realms of Niu-Jiurzi

Re: They're in Durkadurkastan. Maybe. Possibly.

Unread postby Spleen » Sun May 14, 2006 9:45 pm

(Once again, I am willing to make many concessions here, but one rule I would like to have enforced, for expediency if nothing else, is that you put your roll before your modifiers. It's so much easier for me. For instance, I almost admonished Doug for not giving me his crit confirmation roll when I realized the 19 was his modifier, not his roll.)

Adil's first attack (and, indeed, the only attack he needs) opens the wolf's jugular vein and drops it, already dead, to the ground.

<span style="color:purple;">w</span> takes 25 damage and dies instantly.

Despite his plan to strike twice at the animal, Adil finds himself still able to move from his position this round.

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=spleeninfinity13>SpleenInfinity13</A]&nbsp; Image at: 5/14/06 21:45

NamagomiMk0
 
Posts: 1223
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 1:47 am

Re: They're in Durkadurkastan. Maybe. Possibly.

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Sun May 14, 2006 9:49 pm

And Adil does continue moving--in order to "herd" the archer into the ensuing melee. (move to D8)


User avatar
Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!
 
Posts: 2625
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 5:07 pm
Location: Demon Realms of Niu-Jiurzi

Re: They're in Durkadurkastan. Maybe. Possibly.

Unread postby Spleen » Sun May 14, 2006 10:00 pm

Mulligan's Turn

(GC: Remember that your partner-in-crime needs orders before he'll act. If he won initiative over you, he'd keep delaying his turn until Mulligan gave him an order or was threatened.)


GC130A
 
Posts: 277
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 9:37 pm

Re: Now, sir, a war is won!

Unread postby GC130A » Sun May 14, 2006 10:17 pm

"Stay out of the fray, at least, sir" Mulligan says, approaching and casting Invisibility on Mr. Bergher.

"Cerlor! Attack the hobgoblin who wields a hammer, but don't kill him!"

(5-foot-step to K10 and Invisibility on DB. Ordering the effigy to use subdual damage on <span style="color:red;">hg</span>. Attack: 16+9=25, Damage: 4+3+6=13

Edit: Mixed up attack modifiers.)

Edited by: GC130A at: 5/14/06 22:25

User avatar
Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!
 
Posts: 2625
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 5:07 pm
Location: Demon Realms of Niu-Jiurzi

Re: Now, sir, a war is won!

Unread postby Spleen » Sun May 14, 2006 10:58 pm

No one sees what Bergher does, because Bergher is invisible.

For his own part, the construct known as Cerlorendbelrayiaioaie, hearing his creator's command, quickly scans the area for a hobgoblin wielding a hammer. Finding him standing in J8, the effigy proceeds to K9 and bites him in such a way as to cause no real damage, per his master's orders.

<span style="color:red;">hg</span> takes 13 subdual damage

The archer, for his part, notes the inadequacy of his current weapon to face an enemy standing right in front of him, and knows he can't flee for a better position without making himself vulnerable to Adil for a moment. He chooses instead to drop his longbow to the ground and unsheath his longsword. With a great yell, he brings the weapon to bear in a heavy, two-handed chop aimed at Adil.

<span style="color:green;">hg</span>: Attack Roll vs. Adil: 16

This hobgoblin should stick to archery, it seems, as the blow is absorbed by Adil's strong armor.

Hargen's Turn

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=spleeninfinity13>SpleenInfinity13</A]&nbsp; Image at: 5/15/06 17:48

User avatar
Zemyla
 
Posts: 1500
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 11:01 am

Re: Now, sir, a war is won!

Unread postby Zemyla » Sun May 14, 2006 11:18 pm

With the hobgoblin still in his face, Hargen has few options. He strikes out twice more against him and steps aside.

First attack against <span style="color:blue;">hg</span>: 18 + 15 = 33
Damage: 7 + 15 = 22
Trip check: 18 + 12 = 30

Second attack against <span style="color:blue;">hg</span>: 8 + 10 = 18
Damage: 9 + 15 = 24
Trip check: 4 + 12 = 16


(And Hargen moves to H5.)


User avatar
Zemyla
 
Posts: 1500
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 11:01 am

Re: Now, sir, a war is won!

Unread postby Zemyla » Sun May 14, 2006 11:20 pm

(And also something funny: 8 + 1210 = 1218

Because I forgot to clear the text box first.)


User avatar
Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!
 
Posts: 2625
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 5:07 pm
Location: Demon Realms of Niu-Jiurzi

Re: Now, sir, a war is won!

Unread postby Spleen » Mon May 15, 2006 5:31 pm

Hargen's attacks come in hard, the halberd cutting through armor and biting into hobgoblin flesh to leave a gash across the hobgoblin's chest.

<span style="color:blue;">hg</span> Opposed Trip Roll: 16

The first attack is so powerful that the hobgoblin leaves his feet and winds up prone before Hargen, giving the changeling the perfect opportunity to drive the halberd into the axe-wielder's chest, piercing the heart and killing him instantly.

<span style="color:blue;">hg</span> takes 46 damage and dies.

The porters continue to flee, and are now all off the map.

Image

Ciele's Turn

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=spleeninfinity13>SpleenInfinity13</A]&nbsp; Image at: 5/15/06 18:40

User avatar
Nakibe
Lady Malix wills your demise!
 
Posts: 1214
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2002 8:51 am

Huh! HAH! WAR! What is it good for?

Unread postby Nakibe » Mon May 15, 2006 7:03 pm

Moving quickly, Ciele steps towards the goblin that popped out of the bag. Apparently he's a persistent bugger, and doesn't know when to quit. "BREATH OF THE BRONZE" she says as she goes into a flurry of electrically charged hands and feet, finishing with a palm strike that turns the electrical arcs from her hands black. It looks painful, and hopefully it will BE that way too.

(Full attack, Flurry of Blows, using 2 Stunfists (5 remaining) to imbue with Electricity and the Lv 3 spell: Inflict Serious Wounds.

Attack 1 : 10 + 7 = 17
* Damage 1 : 7 + <span style="color:yellow;">2 electricity</span> = 9
Attack 2 : 9 + 7 = 16
* Damage 2 : 11 + <span style="color:yellow;">5 electricity</span> = 16
Attack 3 : 15 + 5 = 20
* Damage 3 : 9 + <span style="color:yellow;">1 electricity</span> = 10

Inflict Serious Wounds : 13 + 5 = 18 Negative Energy damage. )


User avatar
Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!
 
Posts: 2625
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 5:07 pm
Location: Demon Realms of Niu-Jiurzi

Absolutely NOTHIN'!

Unread postby Spleen » Mon May 15, 2006 7:51 pm

Goblins are fast little buggers, and this one is no exception, skillfully avoiding the first two of Ciele's attacks. The third attack, the palm strike, gets it right in the forehead, though, blasting it with a mixture of electricity, negative energy, and blunt trauma.

<span style="color:orange;">g</span> takes 28 damage.


Thus wounded and his poison gone, the goblin decides it's time to get on the move. He skips nimbly to G7 and slices at Ciele with his short sword.

<span style="color:orange;">g</span>: Attack Roll vs. Ciele: 29
Ciele takes 9 damage


The strike is delivered in such a way that the movement before and after the attack favorably alters the momentum of the weapon, and does far more damage than it would do otherwise. After this, he hightails it all the way to G2 with particularly impressive speed.

The leader of the goblinoids notices by now that the battle has begun to take a turn for the worse; one of his men is down and he and both of his remaining warriors have taken damage. Still, he decides that being a warrior is about more than fighting when it is convenient to you. A true stoic, it seems.

Hammer in hand, the hobgoblin leader concentrates his strikes on Dashe, taking two forceful swings at the warlock with the heavy weapon.

<span style="color:red;">hg</span>: Attack Roll vs. Dashe: 33
Dashe takes 11 damage (including damage reduction)
<span style="color:red;">hg</span>: Attack Roll vs. Dashe: 15


The first of these two attacks is by far the more successful, and despite the mystic forces of darkness that strengthen Dashe's very flesh, he still finds that a solid hit to the chest with a big hammer is quite a painful experience.

Varlak's Turn


User avatar
darkknight61189
Rice President
 
Posts: 928
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Between Here and There, just a little past Yonder.

Re: Absolutely NOTHIN'!

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Mon May 15, 2006 8:47 pm

Although the hit hurt, Dashe laughed it off. "That all you got? Wimp."


User avatar
Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!
 
Posts: 3605
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 2:02 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Now, sir, a war is won!

Unread postby Kelne » Mon May 15, 2006 9:09 pm

Well, that was one of their assailants gone and another dead. If they wanted prisoners, they'd better get on with it. One prisoner was all very well, but two would be better.

Stashing his crossbow in the undergrowth, Varlak broke cover, angling to flank the archer and bringing out his sap as he went. A nice blow to the head ought to put paid him out cold, and the others seemed to have the leader well in hand. They might be able to catch the fleeing goblin, but it was by no means a sure thing.

Varlak had no intentions of being a hero here. Let Adil do the hard work, at least until he had an opportunity to get around behind his opponent's guard. Thus, he concentrated on dividing his opponent's attention, rather than going for the knockout blow. At least for now.

"If you lay down your weapons, you won't be harmed," he said for the hobgoblins benefit.

(Varlak moves to D9 and uses aid another on Adil's behalf.)


User avatar
Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!
 
Posts: 2625
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 5:07 pm
Location: Demon Realms of Niu-Jiurzi

Re: Now, sir, a war is won!

Unread postby Spleen » Mon May 15, 2006 9:22 pm

(Are you aiding Adil's attack roll or AC? Futhermore, this requires you to make an attack against AC 10. Furtherfurthermore, diplomacy requires quite a bit more RP than that.)

The hobgoblin leader laughs at Varlak. "Lay down our weapons? Hah! You first, human!"

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=spleeninfinity13>SpleenInfinity13</A]&nbsp; Image at: 5/15/06 22:03

User avatar
Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!
 
Posts: 3605
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 2:02 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Now, sir, a war is won!

Unread postby Kelne » Mon May 15, 2006 10:05 pm

Varlak shrugged regrettfully, "Try to take him alive," he said to Adil.

(And apologies, Aid another would be for attack.

The roll is 5 for a toatal of 15)


User avatar
Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!
 
Posts: 2625
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 5:07 pm
Location: Demon Realms of Niu-Jiurzi

Re: Now, sir, a war is won!

Unread postby Spleen » Mon May 15, 2006 10:08 pm

(Fair enough.)

Dashe's Turn


User avatar
darkknight61189
Rice President
 
Posts: 928
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Between Here and There, just a little past Yonder.

Re: Now, sir, a war is won!

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Mon May 15, 2006 10:20 pm

Dashe began yet another attack phase. He shifted his feet a bit, then began his attack.

(Flailing Strike: 4-1: 3 Extra attacks)

Dashe hit the goblin in the throat with his two fingers, then punched him in the face with the same fist. He then wound up another roundhouse kick, this one landing on the hobgoblin's side. He then finished off with a kick to the face.

(All of these attacks are nonlethal.

<span style="color:Red;">Attack: 17+11= 28</span>
<span style="color:blue;">Damage: 5+4=9</span>
<span style="color:Red;">Attack: 16+11= 27</span>
<span style="color:blue;">Damage: 1+4= 5</span>
<span style="color:Red;">Attack: 12+11= 23</span>
<span style="color:blue;">Damage: 2+4=6</span>
<span style="color:Red;">Attack: 16+11= 27</span>
<span style="color:blue;">Damage: 5+4=9</span>
<span style="color:red;">Attack: 8+6=11</span>
<span style="color:blue;">Damage: 4+4=8</span>)

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=darkknight61189>darkknight61189</A]&nbsp; Image at: 5/15/06 22:24

User avatar
Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!
 
Posts: 2625
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 5:07 pm
Location: Demon Realms of Niu-Jiurzi

Re: Now, sir, a war is won!

Unread postby Spleen » Mon May 15, 2006 10:32 pm

Once again, Dashe proves his effectiveness in unarmed combat, his first four attacks breaking unerringly through the defenses offered up by the hobgoblin, bypassing shield, armor, and any attempt at all to evade the wild attacks of the martial artist warlock. The last attack catches the shield, though, and doesn't quite do what Dashe wants.

<span style="color:red;">hg</span> takes 29 nonlethal damage.

The hobgoblin blinks a few times, slowly, as the images he sees of Dashe proliferate. One warlock, two warlocks, three warlocks, then nothing as his eyes roll back into his head and he falls to the ground in a heap, narrowly missing hitting himself with his own hammer in the process.

<span style="color:red;">hg</span> falls unconscious from nonlethal damage.

Adil's Turn


User avatar
darkknight61189
Rice President
 
Posts: 928
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Between Here and There, just a little past Yonder.

Re: Now, sir, a war is won!

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Mon May 15, 2006 10:41 pm

Dashe sees the hobgoblin leader fall and takes the time to spit on the hobgoblin's body. "Wretched beast..." he muttered in his native tongue.


NamagomiMk0
 
Posts: 1223
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 1:47 am

Re: Now, sir, a war is won!

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Mon May 15, 2006 10:50 pm

Adil, on the other hand, has a different idea..."These treacherous fools have made it their lot in life to do nothing but force others around. I don't see why he should continue to live!" Hefting his large blade, he executes a lightning-quick strike--not at the hobgoblin, but at the longsword he carried.

Life out in the wilderness had taught Adil that not everything could be taken as a whole--sometimes, one would need to destroy one related thing in order to get to an ultimate victory. The weak push; the strong break. And likewise, using his weapon had proven another thing to him; while flesh was flesh, wood was wood, bone was bone, and iron was iron; to the black sword, all were as flesh, it seemed.

(Sunder attempt; if successful, follow with an attack on the hobgoblin. If failed, repeat attempt. Due to the speed of his aimed strikes (Improved Sunder), Adil does not provoke attacks of opportunity)

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=namagomimk0>NamagomiMk0</A] at: 5/15/06 23:12

PreviousNext

Return to Other RPs

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron

Yalogank