Doing What They Can (D&D 3.5 campaign)

For all RPs taking place in other settings.
User avatar
darkknight61189
Rice President
 
Posts: 928
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Between Here and There, just a little past Yonder.

Re: Now, sir, a war is won!

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:58 pm

Dashe follows suit. He had not prepared against the darkness, but he is no stranger to absense of light. He confidently strides in after the older man. He makes sure to keep an ear on the darkness around him, and keep his eyes peeled. He also makes sure to actively search about him for any magic that might be used, reaching out with his senses to find any inkling of magic forces cumulating.


User avatar
Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!
 
Posts: 3605
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 2:02 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Now, sir, a war is won!

Unread postby Kelne » Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:30 pm

Varlak takes up a position off on the flank, eschewing the use of artificial light sources. If asked, he'll say that it isn't that dark yet. Stealth is likely a waste of time on the group's part, since they're expected, but there's no reason not to take basic precautions against ambush.


User avatar
Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!
 
Posts: 2625
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 5:07 pm
Location: Demon Realms of Niu-Jiurzi

Re: Now, sir, a war is won!

Unread postby Spleen » Mon May 01, 2006 6:15 pm

Dashe's apparently random sweeps of his magic-detection ability inform him that magical auras exist within the cone-shaped emanation of the power. See the detect magic spell (PHB 219) for information on what he can do next with that information.

If Varlak intends to hide and move silently, his speed is reduced to one half. The DM will make the appropriate checks in secret if that is the case.

Image

This is what the area around you currently looks like, and where Dram Bergher and the three porters are standing. It would be greatly appreciated if all the players could designate the coordinates where your characters will be standing when they arrive at the forked tree (at I9). Also, if you want to create a symbol for your character to be used on all future maps, send me a 16x16 icon to represent him/her, otherwise it will be the first letter in their name. The icon should have a white background, and should ideally be one simple enough that other things (like trees) can be in your space with you.

On that note, forest combat rules will be transcribed soon.

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=spleeninfinity13>SpleenInfinity13</A]&nbsp; Image at: 5/1/06 18:21

User avatar
darkknight61189
Rice President
 
Posts: 928
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Between Here and There, just a little past Yonder.

Re: Now, sir, a war is won!

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Mon May 01, 2006 7:04 pm

Dashe feels the magical auras around him, and knows that there's someone out there. Then again, there should be since they're being waited on.

"Hang on a second," he says out loud, "I am picking up some magic auras. I am going to try and figure out where they are soming from and what they might be."

He then searches with his soul once more to try and figure out the number of different magical auras. Once he finds those auras, he then spends a bit more time to try and find out where the auras are and how strong the auras are.

((I'm sorry if I'm taking multiple actions at once. Gauge my action speeds accordingly. I just want to make this move a bit faster, so I'm telling you all the thing I intend on doing, at least for this round and the next.))

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=darkknight61189>darkknight61189</A]&nbsp; Image at: 5/1/06 19:06

User avatar
Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!
 
Posts: 2625
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 5:07 pm
Location: Demon Realms of Niu-Jiurzi

Re: Now, sir, a war is won!

Unread postby Spleen » Mon May 01, 2006 8:18 pm

Dashe, after waiting for a few seconds, discovers that all the magic he was sensing was coming from his companions' equipment.


NamagomiMk0
 
Posts: 1223
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 1:47 am

Re: Now, sir, a war is won!

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Mon May 01, 2006 9:01 pm

Adil, upon reaching the spot, sheathes his sword and heads slightly farther ahead of Bergher and the porters--right in close proximity to a tree, at that. However, he keeps his hands on the weapon's white-wrapped hilt, just in case the worst would occur, and a fight would break out.

The pupils in his metallic-looking eyes, for those who could and would look, appear to be dilating from the catlike slits, to a really wide--almost as if totally compensating for the lowered quantities of light in the area. If one looked at them from the right angle, one could swear that they were glowing...

As he motioned into position, the thoughts"Why the hell would they try to force their tyrrany on someone? Do these people have no respect for others' freedom?" start to enter his mind.

As is typical, his face is still covered. Go figure.

(Moving to space G-9. Yes, with the tree.)


User avatar
Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!
 
Posts: 2625
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 5:07 pm
Location: Demon Realms of Niu-Jiurzi

Re: Now, sir, a war is won!

Unread postby Spleen » Mon May 01, 2006 9:12 pm

Bergher moves to a step or so away from the forked tree (I9) and prepares himself, checking on his sword and armor once again and strapping on his shield. The porters mill about nervously nearby, in J7, J8, and K8.


User avatar
darkknight61189
Rice President
 
Posts: 928
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Between Here and There, just a little past Yonder.

Re: Now, sir, a war is won!

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Mon May 01, 2006 9:33 pm

Dashe moves into place just to the left of Bergher (I8). He trains his magic sense forward towards where the trade is supposed to occur.

"I'll be standing next to you, if you do not mind, so that i can quickly react and keep you safe if necessary," he said to the man in case he questioned his actions.




User avatar
Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!
 
Posts: 2625
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 5:07 pm
Location: Demon Realms of Niu-Jiurzi

Re: Now, sir, a war is won!

Unread postby Spleen » Mon May 01, 2006 10:13 pm

Dashe finds nothing right now.

Here is information regarding fighting in a forest from the 3.5 SRD. Note that the woods here count as spare forest, the trees are all "typical", and all undergrowth is "light":

<span style="font-size:xx-small;">Trees: The most important terrain element in a forest is the trees, obviously. A creature standing in the same square as a tree gains a +2 bonus to Armor Class and a +1 bonus on Reflex saves (these bonuses don’t stack with cover bonuses from other sources). The presence of a tree doesn’t otherwise affect a creature’s fighting space, because it’s assumed that the creature is using the tree to its advantage when it can. The trunk of a typical tree has AC 4, hardness 5, and 150 hp. A DC 15 Climb check is sufficient to climb a tree. Medium and dense forests have massive trees as well. These trees take up an entire square and provide cover to anyone behind them. They have AC 3, hardness 5, and 600 hp. Like their smaller counterparts, it takes a DC 15 Climb check to climb them.
Undergrowth: Vines, roots, and short bushes cover much of the ground in a forest. A space covered with light undergrowth costs 2 squares of movement to move into, and it provides concealment. Undergrowth increases the DC of Tumble and Move Silently checks by 2 because the leaves and branches get in the way. Heavy undergrowth costs 4 squares of movement to move into, and it provides concealment with a 30% miss chance (instead of the usual 20%). It increases the DC of Tumble and Move Silently checks by 5. Heavy undergrowth is easy to hide in, granting a +5 circumstance bonus on Hide checks. Running and charging are impossible. Squares with undergrowth are often clustered together. Undergrowth and trees aren’t mutually exclusive; it’s common for a 5-foot square to have both a tree and undergrowth.
Stealth and Detection in a Forest: In a sparse forest, the maximum distance at which a Spot check for detecting the nearby presence of others can succeed is 3d6×10 feet. In a medium forest, this distance is 2d8×10 feet, and in a dense forest it is 2d6×10 feet.
Because any square with undergrowth provides concealment, it’s usually easy for a creature to use the Hide skill in the forest. Logs and massive trees provide cover, which also makes hiding possible.
The background noise in the forest makes Listen checks more difficult, increasing the DC of the check by 2 per 10 feet, not 1 (but note that Move Silently is also more difficult in undergrowth).
</span>

This is how everything looks right now. As more positions are received, this will be updated.

Image
Map last updated at 5/2/06 10:36 PM EST.

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=spleeninfinity13>SpleenInfinity13</A]&nbsp; Image at: 5/2/06 23:23

User avatar
Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!
 
Posts: 3605
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 2:02 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Now, sir, a war is won!

Unread postby Kelne » Tue May 02, 2006 2:26 am

Sneaking about the forest, Varlak reflected, was a rather different proposition to sneaking about the city. Sure cover was more plentiful, but there were all these infernal twigs and rustling bushes to avoid, which made stealth so much more difficult.

Nevertheless, Varlak was no bumbling amateur, and was confident that he could remain unseen under the conditions. From here, it was a matter of finding the spot where he would have the best view and be best able to influence the fight if one developed.

He began by working his way around to a spot on the left flank which he recalled from his earlier reconnaissance. That ought to provide good cover, a decent view, and a potential jumping-off point for a position further forward if the occasion warranted.

(Varlak's destination is square J14, and relevant sneakiness checks will ensue in reaching it. Hide mod is +14, Move Silently is +12. Modifiers for terrain not included.)


GC130A
 
Posts: 277
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 9:37 pm

Re: Now, sir, a war is won!

Unread postby GC130A » Tue May 02, 2006 6:18 am

"And?" Mulligan looks up and asks of Dashe, "it's good to see you using proper procedure, but telling us what you find might be more helpful."

He takes position at J11, casts Protection from Arrows, Mage Armor and See Invisibility on himself and tells the effigy quietly, "patrol between this tree and that one," indicating the proper waypoints, "if you see anyone other than the people already here, return to me immediately."

(Cerlond will go between the M12 tree and the G4 one.)


User avatar
Zemyla
 
Posts: 1500
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 11:01 am

Re: Now, sir, a war is won!

Unread postby Zemyla » Tue May 02, 2006 10:13 am

Hargen, though he wouldn't say anything about it, was extremely glad for the presence of the light, since he did not have the ability to see in the dark that the dwarves he imitated did. However, he did have other abilities...

He took up a position where he could easily defend Bergher and the porters. (K-9)


User avatar
Nakibe
Lady Malix wills your demise!
 
Posts: 1214
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2002 8:51 am

Re: Now, sir, a war is won!

Unread postby Nakibe » Tue May 02, 2006 3:58 pm

Meanwhile, Ciele wondered exactly how long things would take. As such, she positioned herself next to Bergher, making no real attempt to do something she just plain wasn't GOOD at. Instead, she just moved to a spot not too far from Bergher (I 10), and stood there. "If you don't mind, I'll just relax for the time being. Best to conserve my energies for what lies ahead," she says.


User avatar
darkknight61189
Rice President
 
Posts: 928
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Between Here and There, just a little past Yonder.

Re: Now, sir, a war is won!

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Tue May 02, 2006 6:32 pm

Dashe turns to Mulligan and speaks, in a tone that verges on annoyance, "I will tell you if I feel anything when I do. Until then, you can safely assume there is nothing. If there was something out there, I would have told you by now. Please be patient."

Dashe continues to scan ahead and moves closer to Dram. (J10)

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=darkknight61189>darkknight61189</A]&nbsp; Image at: 5/2/06 18:33

User avatar
Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!
 
Posts: 2625
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 5:07 pm
Location: Demon Realms of Niu-Jiurzi

Re: Now, sir, a war is won!

Unread postby Spleen » Tue May 02, 2006 10:36 pm

The map has been updated.


NamagomiMk0
 
Posts: 1223
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 1:47 am

Re: Now, sir, a war is won!

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Tue May 02, 2006 11:07 pm

Adil looks about, and if anything, notices that, though nobody was here yet, one end of the group was, for lack of a better word, uncovered. Best to keep the group safe, he hurries over to a position where not only will he have that coverage, but he'll also have a defensive advantage as well...

As he walked through, he mumbles something in a language that, likely, nobody here could comprehend--unless they knew how to speak draconic, anyway. Particularly, a comment about how annoying it was to try and look for anything through all of this foliage here.

(moving to M-5)

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=namagomimk0>NamagomiMk0</A] at: 5/2/06 23:08

User avatar
Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!
 
Posts: 2625
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 5:07 pm
Location: Demon Realms of Niu-Jiurzi

Re: Now, sir, a war is won!

Unread postby Spleen » Tue May 02, 2006 11:21 pm

Adil doesn't pass close enough to the only other Draconic speaker (Mulligan) to be heard and understood.


GC130A
 
Posts: 277
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 9:37 pm

Re: Now, sir, a war is won!

Unread postby GC130A » Wed May 03, 2006 2:24 am

Mulligan crosses his arms and says defiantly, "You said you were picking up some auras, yes? That doesn't sound like nothing."


User avatar
darkknight61189
Rice President
 
Posts: 928
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Between Here and There, just a little past Yonder.

Re: Now, sir, a war is won!

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Wed May 03, 2006 6:38 pm

Dashe turns to the man and says, in a calm voice, "Those auras were your magic items. They're all really loud." He then turns back and continues to focus. As soon as he senses any other magic auras, he will tell the others.


User avatar
Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!
 
Posts: 3605
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 2:02 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Now, sir, a war is won!

Unread postby Kelne » Thu May 04, 2006 7:19 am

Varlak smiled faintly at Dashe's statement, which he interpreted as somewhat defensive. No doubt he'd been hoping nobody would follow up on his earlier pronouncement. It was the sort of mistake Varlak expected most mages liked to believe they'd left behind in their apprentice days. Just how many had left them behind... Well, that was another question entirely. Right now, he was faced with a choice. He could either remain in his present location, or try for a better spot.

In the end, he decided that here was as good a place as any. No sense getting too far from the group, as they had no idea which direction the kidnappers would be coming from to make the exchange. Varlak settled in to wait, checking his gear, and making sure in particular that his crossbow was ready to hand.


NamagomiMk0
 
Posts: 1223
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 1:47 am

Re: Now, sir, a war is won!

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Thu May 04, 2006 9:32 pm

Adil watched about, his eyes further adjusting to the darkness as he scanned the area for people. Who would be there? Where would they come from? Adil moved his hand slowly to his back, not sure whether to reach for his sword or his bow as he watches the trees for other people to emerge--with the subject of the ransom, of course.

He then looked up at the sky, and waited--it would be time for the exchange soon, and things could easily turn ugly within a short amount of time, assuming things did not go correctly. Not that he was unused to fights; just to what could be considered a potential hostage situation if things didn't play out with enough haste and precision.

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=namagomimk0>NamagomiMk0</A] at: 5/4/06 21:44

User avatar
Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!
 
Posts: 2625
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 5:07 pm
Location: Demon Realms of Niu-Jiurzi

Re: Now, sir, a war is won!

Unread postby Spleen » Thu May 04, 2006 11:48 pm

Cerlorendbelrayiaioaie returns to Mulligan from the northwest and waits in front of him.

Adil, however, is the first intelligent lifeform to see the ransom-collectors arrive. He sees three hobgoblins and a wolf making their way in from the northwest, one goblinoid in the front and two in the back, the two in the back carrying between them a large burlap sack. They seem to be having some trouble with it, as it moves around frequently. When the map is updated, the sack will be represented by a tan square.

The biggest hobgoblin, in front, is dressed in a breastplate and greaves and carrying a large shield. He's got a very large and awkward-looking hammer on his hip, and a bow and quiver on his back. When the map is updated, he will be represented as <span style="color:red;">hg</span>.

The second hobgoblin is almost as large. He wears a chain shirt, with a sword on his belt and a large quiver and longbow on his back. When the map is updated, he will be represented as <span style="color:green;">hg</span>.

The third hobgoblin is noticably smaller than the other two. Like the second hobgoblin, he wears a chain shirt, and he has a simple-looking bow on his shoulder and a pair of small axes at his side. When the map is updated, he will be represented as <span style="color:blue;">hg</span>.

The wolf looks big and mean, but generally pretty mundane. He's sticking close by the third hobgoblin, the one with the axes. When the map is updated, he will be represented as <span style="color:purple;">w</span>.

The map will be updated soon (sorry, little bit of computer trouble).

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=spleeninfinity13>SpleenInfinity13</A]&nbsp; Image at: 5/7/06 19:50

User avatar
Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!
 
Posts: 2625
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 5:07 pm
Location: Demon Realms of Niu-Jiurzi

Re: Now, sir, a war is won!

Unread postby Spleen » Sat May 06, 2006 8:59 pm

Image


NamagomiMk0
 
Posts: 1223
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 1:47 am

!Taco cat!

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Sun May 07, 2006 11:31 am

Adil, now having seen who the apparent ransomers are, steps forward from the tree, already having decided on what to use if this negotiation did turn bad. One of his hands settles to his side, while the other remains free for gesturing and the such, he began to address the hobgoblins, and, well, at least tried to be eloquent, anyway, a plan, with a few contingencies, forming in his head.

"So, you're finally here for the tradeoff? I take it that's Bergher's daughter in the bag. I can assure that we will not give you any trouble whatsoever as long as you hand her over, alive and unharmed--however, I expect you to, again, hand the girl over alive and unharmed, before we give monetary concession."

As he did this, he also attempts to size the hobgoblins up more in his mind, so to speak. Just in case...


User avatar
Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!
 
Posts: 2625
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 5:07 pm
Location: Demon Realms of Niu-Jiurzi

Re: !Taco cat!

Unread postby Spleen » Sun May 07, 2006 2:29 pm

The hobgoblins and the wolf move toward the tree.

The hammer wielder sneers belligerently at Adil as he walks by (in space G8). "We talk to your boss alone," he says in accented Gorlish. "Move aside, lizard." Adil senses that most of the hobgoblin's perceived confidence is bluster; he's nervous. His attempt at intimidation also falls absolutely flat. Seeing Adil nonplussed at his tough-guy act, he gives him a sudden, hard push.

Bull Rush check result: 27

Adil is not entitled to an attack of opportunity. If he totals less than a 27 on a Bull Rush check (1d20 + Str), he is pushed back to G10.

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=spleeninfinity13>SpleenInfinity13</A]&nbsp; Image at: 5/7/06 14:36

User avatar
Zemyla
 
Posts: 1500
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 11:01 am

Re: !Taco cat!

Unread postby Zemyla » Sun May 07, 2006 2:35 pm

Hargen, halberd in hand, moves forward to protect the more vulnerable members of the party. Anyone who tests him will regret it.

(Moving to H-7, readying an attack against any foe who tries to pass within my reach.)


User avatar
Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!
 
Posts: 2625
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 5:07 pm
Location: Demon Realms of Niu-Jiurzi

Re: !Taco cat!

Unread postby Spleen » Sun May 07, 2006 2:51 pm

Hargen has the hammer-wielder and the one with the axes already in his reach (the axe-wielder is in G6).

"Hargen!" Bergher calls. "Let them come. We don't want any trouble; I just want my daughter back."

The one with the sword and bow, conveniently fifteen feet away from Hargen in E8, calls out, laughing derisively. "Yah, Harugen! Let dim com!" He's apparently barely proficient in the Gorlish language.

The hammer-wielder, who is looking down the shaft of a halberd, calls to the other in High Goblinoid. "Krabuo! Zeh tochae gasu dwefo." (If Kelne wants a translation of this, he's entitled to one because his character is a High Goblinoid speaker. Send me an email or IM.)

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=spleeninfinity13>SpleenInfinity13</A]&nbsp; Image at: 5/7/06 14:52

NamagomiMk0
 
Posts: 1223
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 1:47 am

Re: !Taco cat!

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Sun May 07, 2006 3:04 pm

Check DC: 27

Result: 10(STR) +14 (Roll) = 24 (Failure)


Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=namagomimk0>NamagomiMk0</A] at: 5/7/06 15:27

User avatar
Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!
 
Posts: 2625
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 5:07 pm
Location: Demon Realms of Niu-Jiurzi

Re: !Taco cat!

Unread postby Spleen » Sun May 07, 2006 3:25 pm

Adil stumbles back, catching his balance in G10. The hobgoblins laugh at him and jabber to one another in their language. The hammer-wielder then advances to I9 to lean on the forked tree (in doing so, he leaves Hargen's threatened area; Hargen is entitled to an attack of opportunity despite Bergher's order). "Let me see the money, Bergher," he sneers, "if you want your girlie back."

Bergher steps back and motions to the porters, who move up with their small wheelbarrows of gold.

New Positions:
<span style="color:red;">hg</span>: I9
<span style="color:green;">hg</span>: E8
<span style="color:blue;">hg</span>: G6
sack: F7
<span style="color:purple;">w</span>: F8
porters: I8, J8, J9
Dram Bergher: K9
Adil: G10
Hargen: H7
Ciele, Mulligan, Dashe, Varlak (hiding), Cerlorendbelrayiaioaie: See previous map.


NamagomiMk0
 
Posts: 1223
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 1:47 am

Re: !Taco cat!

Unread postby NamagomiMk0 » Sun May 07, 2006 3:38 pm

Adil gritted his teeth as he was pushed back, slamming his palm into the ground to stabilize himself and regain balance. He then took everything in as it was--the nervousness, the laughter...he realized, at this point, that these hobgoblins were nothing more than simple bullies who had to push everyone around. He resisted the urge to take out his sword right then and there; the hostage was still at stake, after all. However--it was clear that, if nothing else, they needed some degree of humbling...and they WOULD get it soon.

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=namagomimk0>NamagomiMk0</A] at: 5/7/06 15:38

User avatar
darkknight61189
Rice President
 
Posts: 928
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Between Here and There, just a little past Yonder.

Re: !Taco cat!

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Sun May 07, 2006 5:17 pm

Dashe saw the goblins come, and knew things were going to get tense. He turns his Detect Magic ability on the three goblins. (Facing NW, end points off the map, point across from Dashe at B2). He is wary of the smaller goblin.

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=darkknight61189>darkknight61189</A]&nbsp; Image at: 5/7/06 17:42

User avatar
Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!
 
Posts: 2625
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 5:07 pm
Location: Demon Realms of Niu-Jiurzi

Re: !Taco cat!

Unread postby Spleen » Sun May 07, 2006 6:39 pm

As Dashe uses his power, he realizes that Hargen's presence will foul up his results until he concentrates long enough to discern individual auras. Proceed anyway?


User avatar
Zemyla
 
Posts: 1500
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 11:01 am

Re: !Taco cat!

Unread postby Zemyla » Sun May 07, 2006 6:52 pm

Hargen grits his teeth and stands his ground, though he would like to humble them so much.

However, he does ask, "How can we be sure the girl is in the sack, like you say?"


User avatar
Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!
 
Posts: 2625
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 5:07 pm
Location: Demon Realms of Niu-Jiurzi

Re: !Taco cat!

Unread postby Spleen » Sun May 07, 2006 8:16 pm

The leader of the hobgoblins looks up from the gold and grins at Hargen, showing a mouth of jagged, yellow teeth. He flicks a thin knife from a hidden sheath and drops it near Hargen, in the undergrowth of square H8. "Open the bag yourself, then, dwarf," he says, as he returns to putting one of the smaller sacks of gold into his backpack.

The one with the axes says something quietly to his companion with the sword and the bow; those of you who hear it can't speak High Goblinoid, and the only one who speaks High Goblinoid can't hear it.

Speaking of Varlak, there's no evidence that he's been seen yet.

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=spleeninfinity13>SpleenInfinity13</A]&nbsp; Image at: 5/8/06 19:50

User avatar
darkknight61189
Rice President
 
Posts: 928
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Between Here and There, just a little past Yonder.

Re: !Taco cat!

Unread postby darkknight61189 » Sun May 07, 2006 9:20 pm

Dashe realizes Hargen's prescense, and so concentrates a bit longer to discern the exat locations of the magic auras.

Edited by: [url=http://p068.ezboard.com/brpgww60462.showUserPublicProfile?gid=darkknight61189>darkknight61189</A]&nbsp; Image at: 5/7/06 21:25

User avatar
Kelne
EXTERMINATE!!!!
 
Posts: 3605
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 2:02 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Now, sir, a war is won!

Unread postby Kelne » Sun May 07, 2006 9:22 pm

Varlak continued to observe. As long as the exchange continued to go smoothly, there would be no need for violence. For now, he contented himself with marking the faces of the hobgoblins, along with whatever names they happened to drop.

Unfortunately, he wasn't in the ideal position to eavesdrop. But if he moved closer, he'd be clearly visible. It was a rather annoying situation, in all.


User avatar
Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!
 
Posts: 2625
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 5:07 pm
Location: Demon Realms of Niu-Jiurzi

Re: Now, sir, a war is won!

Unread postby Spleen » Mon May 08, 2006 10:43 pm

The hobgoblin working on the gold removes an empty bag from his pack and starts to fill it with gold, not trying to hide its nature as a bag of holding.


GC130A
 
Posts: 277
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 9:37 pm

Re: Now, sir, a war is won!

Unread postby GC130A » Tue May 09, 2006 8:29 pm

Per his orders, Mulligan looks around briefly and casts Detect Magic centered on the sack which is supposed to contain Mr. Bergher's daughter. If the trees are blocking his line of effect he moves as appropriate.

He does his best to hide his amusement at the hobgoblins' bravado, considering they are heavily outnumbered and probably individually outclassed. Knock on wood.


User avatar
Spleen
I put a BOMB inside EVERY BAD GUY!
 
Posts: 2625
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2002 5:07 pm
Location: Demon Realms of Niu-Jiurzi

Re: Now, sir, a war is won!

Unread postby Spleen » Tue May 09, 2006 9:33 pm

Detect magic doesn't require line of effect, which trees don't block anyway (they don't even provide cover in the true sense); however, it is subject to certain limitations as indicated in the spell description. Nothing here is lead-lined or blocked off by stone, though, so Mulligan should be safe as far as the detection going through is concerned.

Interference is another matter; the spell manifests as a 60-ft. cone. Unless Mulligan moves before the spell (and in order to get this one single object in his sights, he'd need to be in melee range, conveniently one move action away at 20 ft.), his detection will be just as polluted as Dashe's by other auras.


GC130A
 
Posts: 277
Joined: Thu May 20, 2004 9:37 pm

Re: Now, sir, a war is won!

Unread postby GC130A » Tue May 09, 2006 9:58 pm

Mulligan stays put, figuring that the first stage of the scan will turn up positive just by virtue of the hobgoblin's bag of holding.


PreviousNext

Return to Other RPs

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest

cron

Yalogank